Menu

Baby Naming and Lack of Phonics Instruction

I am Laura - rhymes with car-uh, not lore-uh. And I have had people from different regions tell me I am pronouncing it and spelling it wrong. Whatever.

My sister was to be named Laura. My dad pronounced it like car-uh, my mom pronounced it lore-uh. They were from opposite sides of the country. They compromised with Lori.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a big difference IMHO between an ethnic variation and a completely made-up one. Zofia and Sofija don't bother me but Sohfeeyah does. KWIM?

I live in South Florida and we have quite a sizable Haitian and African population here and I see a lot of their names that have spellings such as Sohfeeyah. Creole uses a lot of what seem to me to be "extra letters", but that's just how they spell things in that language.

I have a Dillon, which everyone wants to put an extra "i" in - Dillion (like million.)

Did they never have a crush on Matt Dillon when they were young?? I mean honestly, how can Dillon be anything but?? ;) :lol:

Is this thread making anyone else think of Night at the Museum 2 with the night guard "Brundon" that was spelled "Brandon". :lol: :)

This thread made me do something I've been afraid to do for a long time - check the dictionary for the pronunciation of my son's name.

It's Theodoric, and I have always pronounced it Thee - odd'- or - rick. I was sure I checked the pronunciation when I chose the name.

Since then, almost EVERYONE has pronounced it Thee - uh - door'- ick. It didn't bother me for years - I just kept correcting everyone. Then last year I started to get scared that maybe I was wrong.....

I just checked Websters and I am right! Yay!

My fathers name is Erel. It is pronounced (ER-ul). The more popular spelling is Earl but he was named after the doctor who delivered his father.

Honestly, I think the spelling my father has makes more sense phonetically than the common spelling Earl.

I really don't think phonics is the issue. its more about culture, creativity, uniqueness, etc.

This thread made me do something I've been afraid to do for a long time - check the dictionary for the pronunciation of my son's name.

It's Theodoric, and I have always pronounced it Thee - odd'- or - rick. I was sure I checked the pronunciation when I chose the name.

Since then, almost EVERYONE has pronounced it Thee - uh - door'- ick. It didn't bother me for years - I just kept correcting everyone. Then last year I started to get scared that maybe I was wrong.....

I pronounce it same as you. Idk why since I wouldn't pronounce Theodore as Thee-odd-or but I guess Thee-uh-door-rick just doesn't sound right to me.

I find it frustrating as a person with a 'normal'name when people can't pronounce it correctly. I am Laura - rhymes with car-uh, not lore-uh. And I have had people from different regions tell me I am pronouncing it and spelling it wrong. Whatever.

Our youngest dd is named Lauren. I pronounce is lar-un. Dh pronounces it lor-un. I know another Lauren, and her family pronounces is lor-un. It doesn't really bother me, but I secretly know I am pronouncing it right.:D

Also, my name is Carol. Very boring. Very NOT unusual. I get asked how to spell it all the time. "Is that with a K?" (I did know a Karol once, but only one.) Not that it matters because people call me Carolyn or Karen. I answer to about anything. I never really liked my name.:tongue_smilie:

My fathers name is Erel. It is pronounced (ER-ul). The more popular spelling is Earl but he was named after the doctor who delivered his father.

Honestly, I think the spelling my father has makes more sense phonetically than the common spelling Earl.

I really don't think phonics is the issue. its more about culture, creativity, uniqueness, etc.

When I read "Erel" I thought of "Errol" (as in Errol Flynn).

'Round here people pronounce Earl like "url" or "hurl" without the h.

My sister was to be named Laura. My dad pronounced it like car-uh, my mom pronounced it lore-uh. They were from opposite sides of the country. They compromised with Lori.

I'm another Laura rhymes with car-uh. Dh's family took years to say it that way (instead of lore-uh). My dad's cousin is lore-uh spelled Lora. "Au" says "ah" like in "Audrey" or "haul". I know that some accents turn it into something more like "owe" or "ah-uh", but that doesn't make it right! :tongue_smilie:

Our youngest dd is named Lauren. I pronounce is lar-un. Dh pronounces it lor-un. I know another Lauren, and her family pronounces is lor-un. It doesn't really bother me, but I secretly know I am pronouncing it right.:D

Also, my name is Carol. Very boring. Very NOT unusual. I get asked how to spell it all the time. "Is that with a K?" (I did know a Karol once, but only one.) Not that it matters because people call me Carolyn or Karen. I answer to about anything. I never really liked my name.:tongue_smilie:

You must not be a Carol Burnett fan!

I know a guy named Vinal -- it is pronounced, "Vinyl". Apparently it is a old name dating back to the Puritans?

You've GOT to be kidding me! That poor child!

Oh yeah... ;)

At the first parent teacher conference, I brought up (as politely and gently as possible) the issue to Lady Ashley's mom and dad. Mom was very adamant that she be called her full name in class. Apparently the OB/GYN declared it would be a boy when the parent was pg -- and while in delivery -- a daughter was born. So to tell the world the doc was wrong, she legally named her dd, "Lady Ashley". (She told me this story with much zeal as if it had just happened. The child's dad obviously had heard this story so many times and was looking like he was so embarrassed by the whole thing. I was like... "Uh. Yeah. Whatever." I mean like what doctor hasn't blown it with saying it would be a boy or girl back then??) LOL

That poor thing got teased by her classmates too. I always wonder what happened to her -- that was back in 1989. I'm sure mom wised up or the child rebelled as she got older. But I ignored Mom and called her Ashley and dropped the "Lady" part. I endured many crazy notes from home and phone calls about my actions on "forgetting" the full name. Someone had to stick up for that little girl. LOL :D

Edited by tex-mex

I find it frustrating as a person with a 'normal'name when people can't pronounce it correctly. I am Laura - rhymes with car-uh, not lore-uh. And I have had people from different regions tell me I am pronouncing it and spelling it wrong. Whatever.

I don't correct people who pronounce it differently. I do insist on the correct spelling, however.

Laura

I'm another Laura rhymes with car-uh. Dh's family took years to say it that way (instead of lore-uh). My dad's cousin is lore-uh spelled Lora. "Au" says "ah" like in "Audrey" or "haul". I know that some accents turn it into something more like "owe" or "ah-uh", but that doesn't make it right! :tongue_smilie:

As an English person from England speaking English, I think that the way I pronounce our name is different from yours, rather than wrong.

'Au' is pronounced 'aw' in British English, so 'Aw-dree' and 'hawl'.

Laura

And fwiw, it really makes no difference to me how Dwayne, Dewayne, Dawain, DDwrain, Duhwane

No, you were right all along.

The name Dwayne is 1 sylable and pronounced with Dw as a dipthong.

The name Dewayne is 2 sylables and is pronounced Dee -wayne.

Both names are common here in the south. But if you walk into Dewayne's on Market Street in Dover, AR to get some hash browns and say Dwanye's you will get yelled at. It is DEE-wayne's thank you very much.

Your point is that this mother wanted her boy to be called Dewayne, but spelled it Dwayne. Exactly the topic at hand. She had no idea about phonics. Good call.

I've never heard of that name before. It's very interesting to me. Just thought I'd tell you my DH's name is Tedrick. Pronounced exactly like its spelled. I thought, as I read your post, that you were going to say your son's name was supposed to be pronounced Ted-or-rick, sorta like my DH, but I was wrong. Close, anyway!

There's a big difference IMHO between an ethnic variation and a completely made-up one. Zofia and Sofija don't bother me but Sohfeeyah does. KWIM? If you want your kid to have an unusual name, pick one- don't just randomly start changing letters of a common name.

I tell my Josef that he has to grow up, marry a Czech woman and have me a grand-daughter named Zofia. LOVE that name!

Sohfeeyah doesn't bother me, actually to me it is a very unique spelling which if the parents chose that spelling for the name, they have a reason.

What about my Vivienne?

Too creative?

Very pretty! Do you have French heritage?

This reminds me of a story a friend told me once. Her friend was working as a substitute teacher at a public school. She encountered a little girl whose name was "La-A"

When the girl introduced herself to the subsitute teacher, she said "My name is Ladasha. The dash don't be silent."

"The dash don't be silent"?! No wonder that is what her name is :lol:

Was it Teamhair, which is Irish Gaelic?

Tara (TAR-ah, not TARE-uh)

I am supposed to a Tara (TAR-ah) named after Tara planation in my Mom's favorite, which happens now to be my favorite, movie-Gone With The Wind. DH would have flipped if I were a Tara because one of my favorite names is Kadie Scarlett.

I have found that spelling with f vs. ph is confusing for Americans. One of my dds has a name that is spelled with an f in place of the more common ph. She is named for her great-grandmother who was from "the old country" and used the "f" spelling. When people write her name I usually say "with an f." I've had people look confused. I've also had people spell it the regular way, keeping the ph in the middle, but replacing the FIRST letter with an F. :001_huh: Honestly, I didn't think it was that difficult.

We have had people do this with Josef's name as well. I always spell his name out for everyone. We know when they come back and either say "Yosef" "Yose-F" or even "Jose-F" they are more than likely have some sort of Eastern European background. Our first pediatrician's last name started with a "J" but pronuced with a "Y", he was 100% Czech :D

We have had people do this with Josef's name as well. I always spell his name out for everyone

The whole "with an F" confusion totally surprised me. I mean, "Joseph with a f" can only be Josef, not Foseph, ya know?! It's amazing to me. Several people have done this to my dd's name and I just want to say "What is WRONG with you people???!!!" :lol:

There's a big difference IMHO between an ethnic variation and a completely made-up one. Zofia and Sofija don't bother me but Sohfeeyah does. KWIM? If you want your kid to have an unusual name, pick one- don't just randomly start changing letters of a common name.

Gee, I remember Dewayne as DUane....and then again I have a Yorrick (extra "R" ) because I thought it looked better. That coming from a Faith with an "e" at the end....sigh .

Faithe

We almost named my dd Tara, but I would have spelled it Terra so people would pronounce it the way we wanted it. So others would have pronounced it right, but they wouldn't have been able to spell it.

I always have to clarify, "Kristine, with a K," when someone is writing my name. My last name is not unusual, but because people don't understand phonics, it's mispronounced more than 50% of the time. That drives me crazy. They really should know better.

My parents added the i to my name so it would be pronounced Tare-uh. To my dad, Tara is Tar-ah. I love the spelling of my name but am often correcting either spelling or pronunciation.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that phonics rules do not or do not have to apply to proper names. I wish I could remember where I read that, but I've read tons of books on phonics, and cannot recall where I read it.

I've seen some names with crazy spellings. With some of them it's plain that the parents just could not spell. Most of the time I can tell when a name is foreign or a made up spelling. I know some people that assume that all names that are spelled differently than they believe it should be were written by people that cannot spell.

I've known both Dwayne's and Duane's. Dwayne is actually a very common spelling of that name.

I always thought it was spelled Duane and had one syllable. :confused:

Duane is a Welsh name, I believe. Dwayne was derived from it, at least that's my understanding. Duane is pronounced just like Dwayne, so that makes sense to me. I think the spelling "Dwayne" has been used for a very long time. And yes, Duane only has one syllable.

Veronica

When I read "Erel" I thought of "Errol" (as in Errol Flynn).

'Round here people pronounce Earl like "url" or "hurl" without the h.

Around here, Earl is pronounced Er-ul.

Erel just happens to be the German variation of Earl.

Some telemarketers call him Errol while others call him Er-ul.

It depends where you live as well, I suppose.

My three kids have short and phonetically correct, but unusual, names. DS7's name is the most difficult for people -- Siri (See-ree). It's a Scandinavian family name. Most people here pronounce it Sur-ee. "After Tom Cruise's kid?" Uh, no. After several women in my family going back generations, thank you.

She had classmates last year named:

* Azyjah (pronounced Asia).

* Aloysius (Aloo-shus, but I keep wanting to say Aloy-shus or Aloo-i-shus).

* Victorya (Victoria, of course, but I want to say Victory-a).

As an English person from England speaking English, I think that the way I pronounce our name is different from yours, rather than wrong.

Laura

You don't know how many times I've wished for a name that can be spelled in a way that will result in its correct pronunciation!

For me, "caught" and "cot" sound the same because "au" says the short o sound. It is the same for my parents, which is why they spelled my name "Laura".

In other regions, "caught" and "cot" do not sound the same. "Au" sounds closer to a long o. So "Laura" sounds more like "lore-uh", with a diphthong in some accents.

"Lara" is pronounced by some people as "lar-uh" and by other people as "lair-uh". So even if my parents had named me "Lara" because they pronounce my name as "lar-uh", I STILL would have had to correct people.

When we named our children, I wanted to make sure that the correct pronunciation is obvious. I failed with "Eva" and I hope she doesn't come to resent her name the way I have come to resent mine. :( ETA: We use the Spanish pronunciation (eh-vah), which sounds more like "Ava".

I like how my name sounds (when pronounced "lar-uh"), but so few people say it that way. I don't care for "lore-uh", if only because it is NOT my name. If I meet a Laura, I ask her how SHE says it.

I don't mind the Spanish pronunciation of my name. I think that is pretty, too. Maybe I like the Spanish pronunciation because there is only one! :D

Wow, I had no idea I was still so upset about this! I guess it's the twelve years I spent in public school having to tell people the correct pronunciation of my name. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Veritaserum
Clarification of how to say Eva.

In other regions, "caught" and "cot" do not sound the same. "Au" sounds closer to a long o. So "Laura" sounds more like "lore-uh", with a diphthong in some accents.

"Lara" is pronounced by some people as "lar-uh" and by other people as "lair-uh". So even if my parents had named me "Lara" because they pronounce my name as "lar-uh", I STILL would have had to correct people.

I also say Lar-uh, not Lore-uh. When we briefly lived in the midwest I noticed everyone there pronouncing the au with an o sound. I do think this is regional.

Everyone in Kansas also mispronounces "roof" they say "ruff" and it drove me crazy. ;)

For the record Tara reads Tare-uh to me, not Tar-uh. Sorry to the Tara in this thread because I would mispronounce your name by accident!

Well now you have me skeered (lol, j/k)... how do you pronounce Jinnah (my screen name and dd's middle name)? It's an Indian version (as my ex-husband is Indian) of an American name, but it's pronounced a little differently. What does it look like to you?

When we named our children, I wanted to make sure that the correct pronunciation is obvious. I failed with "Eva" and I hope she doesn't come to resent her name the way I have. :(

How do you pronounce her name? I would pronounce it Eve-uh.

Well now you have me skeered (lol, j/k)... how do you pronounce Jinnah (my screen name and dd's middle name)? It's an Indian version (as my ex-husband is Indian) of an American name, but it's pronounced a little differently. What does it look like to you?

JIN-uh?

It's interesting to hear you say that, because my great-grandmother, mom and oldest sister are all named "Ninnah", a name I'd never seen anywhere else before (and of course is also mispronounced, most often as "Nee-nuh".) They pronounce it NIN-uh.

We were told that it's an Indian name that means "princess". What were you told about the meaning of Jinnah?

One well-known name spelling that's always bugged me is Jinger Duggar. I always want to give it a hard "g" in the middle, like "jingle": JIN-gur....

I know they were doing the whole "J" thing, but it still bugs me... LOL

Laura

My mom is Laura pronounced law-rah as well. I never knew people thought Laura could be pronounced lah-rah until I came to this board! The only lah-rahs I've ever known have spelled their names Lara. So funny, the distinctions people make.

When I was growing up, I could never believe the number of people who tried to spell my name Mellisa. I have never, ever met someone whose name was spelled that way, yet so many people assumed that's the way it was spelled. Wouldn't that be "mel-leesa," and not "mel-issa"?

And in the OP, I'm sure that many people say "Cameron" as two syllables "kam-run" so why not spell it that way?

Because in our neck of the woods, it is pronounced cam-er-un - three syllables, not two. Kam-run is two and would not only be mispronounced, but also misspelled! :D

When we named our children, I wanted to make sure that the correct pronunciation is obvious. I failed with "Eva" and I hope she doesn't come to resent her name the way I have. :(

How do you say Eva? FWIW, I really love the pronunciation of your name the way you like it. It is a lovely way to say it. I have a niece with the same name, but they do pronounce it differently. I am happy to accommodate how a person wishes their name to be said because I am one that feels that is your prerogative to do so. :001_smile: I don't like it when people nickname the names of my children! We all have our preferences!

Most people do, it seems. We use the Spanish pronunciation (eh-vah), which sounds more like "Ava".

If I were in Germany, I would pronounce it that way. But if I saw an American with that name, I would pronounce it E-va.

Because in our neck of the woods, it is pronounced cam-er-un - three syllables, not two. Kam-run is two and would not only be mispronounced, but also misspelled! :D

Well, yes. I say cam-er-un, just like cam-er-a. But I know that some people say it differently, where the middle syllable disappears. So my point was, they spell it the way they say it.