Menu

Did I get gyped?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The man brought the beef. I ordered half a cow. The hanging weight that I paid for was 291 pounds. I've got only about 150 pounds of beef and I didn't get the first soup bone. What do you think?
We do this frequently, and the numbers are different. I don't recall ratios, but you are at 2:1, which seems pretty high. Part of that may be that you did not specify what you wanted, such as soup bones. I think the locker plant assumes people to not want many parts and keeps them unless you specifically ask for them. You may want to go in and fill out a list of customer preferences for next time.

OTOH, MomsintheGarden recently discovered she can go into the locker plant ANYTIME and purchase a bag of about 10 pounds of soup bones for only $2.00! She's been doing a lot of this lately!

It reads as though the hanging weight and weight delivered are different.
That's correct.

I have no answer for you. I just wanted to participate in a thread about half a cow.

I learn so much stuff on this forum. I can honestly tell you that I have never known anyone who bought a dead cow. Or half of one, either, for that matter. Do you get to pick your own cow, or is it more of an honor system thing?

Please don't think I'm criticizing this -- I actually think it's interesting! I'm just one of those people who goes to the store and the meat is just... well... there. If I bought half a cow, I would have no clue as to what to do with most of it. I guess I would just hope that they would label the packages for me so I could look up recipes online.

I would also hope there was no package marked, "Eyes." :ack2:

Also, you must have a huge freezer! How many bodies can you fit in that thing? (Sorry, but where I come from, if you're buying a new car and look in the trunk, someone always comments that, "It's about a 5-body trunk; that's plenty of room, even if one of them was a fat guy." I would assume the conversation is similar in the world of big freezers...) ;)

Cat

I have no answer for you. I just wanted to participate in a thread about half a cow.

I learn so much stuff on this forum. I can honestly tell you that I have never known anyone who bought a dead cow. Or half of one, either, for that matter. Do you get to pick your own cow, or is it more of an honor system thing?

We purchase the cows from one of my relatives and he tells us what he feeds the steer. I trust him to select one that will be good but, honestly, they vary greatly from year to year.
Please don't think I'm criticizing this -- I actually think it's interesting! I'm just one of those people who goes to the store and the meat is just... well... there. If I bought half a cow, I would have no clue as to what to do with most of it. I guess I would just hope that they would label the packages for me so I could look up recipes online.
They are packaged and deep-frozen with labels telling what is inside. The labels have the names of cuts of beef that you are familiar with from your grocery store. We find that convenient! :D
Never seen that one but tongue, heart, kidneys and liver can be in there.
Also, you must have a huge freezer! How many bodies can you fit in that thing? (Sorry, but where I come from, if you're buying a new car and look in the trunk, someone always comments that, "It's about a 5-body trunk; that's plenty of room, even if one of them was a fat guy." I would assume the conversation is similar in the world of big freezers...) ;)
We have a 14 cu.ft. chest freezer and we can fit about 1/2 a cow body in there along with some other trimmin's! ;)

That sounds about right. We do get the kidneys, liver, and tongue, but never the eyes. :001_huh: We split it with bil and his family (my sfil is a dairy farmer,) and they let us have any organs. :D

How do you cook the tongue? I don't eat organs, but I remember my grandfather feeding me something delicious then telling me when I was done that it was cow tongue. He did that a lot. :glare:

I never saw the cow until it was brought to my home just a little while ago nicely packaged in 1-3 pound packs.

It comes just like you'd find in the local market. I didn't get anything strange. I did get lots of rib-eye steaks.

Nope, we did get heart and liver thought. I think I'm going to cook that up and make chow for the dog.

Cat

I've got the 150 pound of beef in there, a turkey and a ham, a few veggies from the garden and still have plenty of room for the pig that should be coming pretty soon.

Since I've talked dh into no meat every other day the beef and pork will last 2 years.

Organs and scraps are great for the pups :) I'm planning to purchase a "side" of beef this coming year... I just have to get a freezer, first :) I'm thinking I'll do up the dog food for the year, too. :) And, my kitty is loving raw food :) The "Ox tail" that is just part of the cow, costs $3.50 a lb at the butcher's....

:)

I don't have anything useful to add to this thread either, except that it reminded me of a couple things from my childhood.

1. My uncle worked at the local sale barn, and would often bring home cattle or pigs for slaughtering on the farm. My cousins and I would always run down to watch when we saw his truck headed down through the field. I learned a lot of biology that way.

2. My dad had a pack of 4 or 5 foxhounds when I was a kid, and they ate like crazy. He made a deal with the butcher at the local locker to purchase scraps he generated when cutting up livestock. Every Saturday, we would stop there and pick up a big garbage can of bones, fat, meat, etc, and would leave an empty can to be filled. I loved going to the locker.

Sorry for hijacking the thread

... and still have plenty of room for the pig that should be coming pretty soon.

Will you be starting a "dead pig" thread? If so, I'm there.

I don't know any more about dead pigs than I do about dead cows, except I remember that I worried that poor Wilbur would end up dead in Charlotte's Web. But don't worry -- if you start the thread, I'm sure I will have at least a few idiotic questions for you. ;)

Cat

Cat

:lol::lol::lol:

this is the funniest post I have ever read, I fell off my chair laughing.

Cat

:lol:LOL:lol:LOL:lol:LOL:lol: LOL:lol:

So has anyone said anything yet about using the G word?

ETA: Ok. No. So:

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gypped

Don't hate me. ;)

I was just coming in to comment... as a PSA - because I know I didn't know until relatively recently.

Another link: "Additionally, a common derogatory phrase in the US is to "be gypped," as in "I was gypped" or "he gypped me," meaning that someone executed a bad deal or took money that he was not entitled to take."

Guest Dulcimeramy
Yeah, I saw the title and thought, ''oh my, more hate for the Roma''. :001_huh:

I think people honestly don't know this one. Astounding, but true.

(OTOH, often the same people who will stand against other non-PC terms have no problem with "paddy wagon," 'Irish twins," etc. People of Irish descent are usually labeled as "silly" or "sensitive" if they speak up.)

I think people honestly don't know this one. Astounding, but true.

(OTOH, often the same people who will stand against other non-PC terms have no problem with "paddy wagon," 'Irish twins," etc. People of Irish descent are usually labeled as "silly" or "sensitive" if they speak up.)

I agree and I didn;t know those things before coming to this board. Now that I know better I do (and teach) better.

When we get a side of beef, I have the butcher grind the liver into the ground beef. I didn't think it changed the flavor any and you get the added nutrients of the liver. We don't eat liver otherwise, so it was either given away or thrown away at some point. Just throwing it out there. :)
So does that reduce the storage life from 12 months to 4 months?

Right? Hello! We're talking about MEAT here. :D

Ya KNOW?

a

(as an aside... DS, who has been officially Gypped (capital G, by real Gypsies, from Romania), on the streets of Brussels, says "that isn't derogatory, it's a fact of life!")

I suppose I could have asked if I had been "scre--d."

On further thought I suppose the correct term would have been "taken"

Oooo... that sounds so "bodice ripper"!

<insert Scarlett O'Hara accent & hunky cover model here>

:lol::auto::lol:

a

Now THAT I like, but hearing that the OP was 'taken' at the butcher shop would have an ENTIRELY different connotation. :w00t:

Suddenly I'm hearing the music.....brownchickenbrowncow

Yeah, if I had been taken at the butcher's I wouldn't be advertising it here. My dh might read about the affair.

But if I had been taken at the butcher's... mmm...mmm...mmm.