Menu

The boys and I have been listening to Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter in the car, and since it has been hovering around 20 degrees F, and I have a foot and a half of snow in my yard, it has been kind of depressing.

I recommend listening/reading this book in the summer.

I don't think it matters. I don't remember being so negatively affected by that book when I read it as a child, but when I read it aloud to my ds a few years back I was soooooo depressed. I hate that book.

What was Charles Ingals thinking!!!!!

Well, I just re-read it myself last month. Snow and chill (meaning 10 to 20 degrees F, and snow that remained after 10 a.m.) had come early to our area, and I was not enjoying it. But, after I read the book, I commented to my husband that reading it was one way to put my own situation into perspective. :tongue_smilie: After that though, I went on to These Happy Golden Years and By the Shores of Silver Lake, two of my favorites.

Erica in OR

This is one of my all-time favorite books. The Ingalls are such an inspiration to me and help me to realize my life is not hard. I love the example Pa sets by being such a hard worker and doing everything he can to take care of his family. I love Ma's cheerful and optimistic attitude. I love how they trusted God to get them through. I love that they exercised self-control and did not read all the magazines they were sent right away, but spaced them out so they could enjoy them longer. I love the simple Christmas that showed how much they truly loved each other. I love Mary's patient uncomplaining attitude towards her blindness. I love how Almanzo sacrifices some of his seed corn to Pa to keep the Ingalls from going hungry. I love how Cap Garland and Almanzo risk their lives to save the town from starvation. I love the conversation in the General Store when the owner tries to price gouge the people over the wheat. I love how the men work as a team to get the train unstuck from the snow. And I love when the train finally comes.

Even with all the hardship, the love the family members have for each other, demonstrated in their patience, kindness and industry, makes it a cozy story to me.

It is chock full of wonderful character lessons as well. I find myself referring to it often when any of us is tempted to complain.

This is one of my all-time favorite books. The Ingalls are such an inspiration to me and help me to realize my life is not hard. I love the example Pa sets by being such a hard worker and doing everything he can to take care of his family. I love Ma's cheerful and optimistic attitude. I love how they trusted God to get them through. I love that they exercised self-control and did not read all the magazines they were sent right away, but spaced them out so they could enjoy them longer. I love the simple Christmas that showed how much they truly loved each other. I love Mary's patient uncomplaining attitude towards her blindness. I love how Almanzo sacrifices some of his seed corn to Pa to keep the Ingalls from going hungry. I love how Cap Garland and Almanzo risk their lives to save the town from starvation. I love the conversation in the General Store when the owner tries to price gouge the people over the wheat. I love how the men work as a team to get the train unstuck from the snow. And I love when the train finally comes.

Even with all the hardship, the love the family members have for each other, demonstrated in their patience, kindness and industry, makes it a cozy story to me.

It is chock full of wonderful character lessons as well. I find myself referring to it often when any of us is tempted to complain.

Kathleen, when you list all those things I do agree....but it all seems overshadowed to me when I wonder, 'What was Pa thinking!'

:tongue_smilie:

Kathleen, when you list all those things I do agree....but it all seems overshadowed to me when I wonder, 'What was Pa thinking!'

What do you mean, exactly? This was their second winter in the Dakotas (the first winter described in The Shores of Silver Lake) and it wasn't *anything* like The Hard Winter. It was actually very mild. I don't know that Pa could have done more than he did to prepare. NOBODY (well, except for the Indian Chief who appeared in the general store) knew that such a harsh winter was coming. They were all new to the area.

I was wondering too, what do you mean what was he thinking about? Like that they didn't have enough supplies?

I have to say, this is one of my favorites too. I find them so inspirational as well. I reread these books often and my dd8 is currently reading The Long Winter right now. I wish I could react to life with as much grace as they do in the books.

What do you mean, exactly? This was their second winter in the Dakotas (the first winter described in The Shores of Silver Lake) and it wasn't *anything* like The Hard Winter. It was actually very mild. I don't know that Pa could have done more than he did to prepare. NOBODY (well, except for the Indian Chief who appeared in the general store) knew that such a harsh winter was coming. They were all new to the area.

I guess I am not just referring to TLW. As I re read all of those books to my son all I could think of was how dangerous it was to take all of them so far from home. But I guess that was the pioneer spirit....I'm not much of a risk taker....

Except for the whole thing where I met and married a man within 3 months this year. ;)

I read them all when I was a child, but I don't remember all of them, or anything specific about that one in particular.

I have been re-reading the series along with my daughter now. So far we've read: Little House In The Big Woods, Little House On The Prairie, Farmer Boy, and On The Banks Of Plum Creek, and we will be starting By The Shores Of Silver Lake within the next week or two. Hopefully by the time we start "The Long Winter," we won't have quite so much winter left here in PA and I won't find it quite so depressing lol.

(I am not a fan of winter myself!)

I guess I am not just referring to TLW. As I re read all of those books to my son all I could think of was how dangerous it was to take all of them so far from home. But I guess that was the pioneer spirit....I'm not much of a risk taker....

Except for the whole thing where I met and married a man within 3 months this year. ;)

When I re-read the book series as an adult I was struck by how much my view of Pa had changed. I had always considered him to be a hero and adventurer when I was a child. As and adult I thought he was a bit flighty and might have done better by his family to settle with a job. :p So I know what you mean Scarlett. :)

Reading it during an Edmonton freeze makes you nervous, realizing there's no straw to twist :001_huh:

:lol:

We happened to start it a few days before a big snowstorm hit the Pacific Northwest. It was kind of magical to read it while we had freezing temps and beautiful snow. I love snow! :D We had lots of power outages too. After finishing the book, we gathered with our hs group at someone's house to twist straw, make button lamps, and play in the snow. It is a great memory for our whole family.

When I re-read the book series as an adult I was struck by how much my view of Pa had changed. I had always considered him to be a hero and adventurer when I was a child. As and adult I thought he was a bit flighty and might have done better by his family to settle with a job. :p So I know what you mean Scarlett. :)

I absolutely see what you mean about this. I often wondered why they didn't just stay in the big woods of Wisconsin - seems Pa was never content. He always wanted more for his family when they probably would have just settled for some stability. That said, I still love how they took the situation they were in and made the best of it. Ma and the girls are excellent examples of living in less-than-desirable circumstances out of their control in a gracious loving manner. Pa's discontent does not overshadow that to me.

But didn't they go out west because of the homestead?? I remember them leaving the Big Woods in Wisconsin because there were too many people moving in and I guess it was scaring off the animals. I think Pa was a trapper too so I could see how that would impact his livelihood. I think the whole point of going out west was because the Government was offering the homestead claims, no?

It's a funny thing because I've read every book in the Little House series and The Long Winter is actually probably one of my favorites. I don't know why, I guess it's just how strong they were or how hard they worked together to survive through really difficult circumstances. I just think it's an amazing read. It's just one hardship after another and yet they somehow make it through. It's really interesting to see how the townspeople show their true colors as circumstances get worse. I liked the book. :)

I know where I live we have to prepare for hurricanes every year. They always tell us to have at least 2 weeks of supplies on hand for every person in the household in case of emergency. I cannot even imagine the kinds of preparations one would have to make in order to have 7 months of provisions on hand. I guess that's another thing I admire about that story. The people were strong and self-sufficient. I just can't help but imagine if something like that were to happen today and things were disrupted for 7 months, what it would be like. It would be utter chaos I think.

... Pa was never content. He always wanted more for his family when they probably would have just settled for some stability. That said, I still love how they took the situation they were in and made the best of it. Ma and the girls are excellent examples of living in less-than-desirable circumstances out of their control in a gracious loving manner. Pa's discontent does not overshadow that to me.

I totally agree. And really, I feel that way in a bit more of a flip - wow, why didn't he stay put :tongue_smilie: sort of way. I love the pervasive attitude of "making do" that the book series embodies and feel like it's an important lesson for families today. Or at least MY family lol.

We live 1 hour SE of DeSmet. Tonight it is 9 degrees with snow blowing at 20 mph. We've already had a blizzard this year (a weekend ago). Heard a NOAA weather reporting give a talk on if the long winter really happened. It did. It's the coldest recorded winter on record for the 5 areas (including 3 forts) that were keeping records at the time.).

We tried to read it a couple of winters ago after we'd just moved here (we were reading the series). The older kids had been listening but left the room for TLW. We had animals at the time we were caring for and it was just too close to home.

We live 1 hour SE of DeSmet. Tonight it is 9 degrees with snow blowing at 20 mph. We've already had a blizzard this year (a weekend ago). Heard a NOAA weather reporting give a talk on if the long winter really happened. It did. It's the coldest recorded winter on record for the 5 areas (including 3 forts) that were keeping records at the time.).

We tried to read it a couple of winters ago after we'd just moved here (we were reading the series). The older kids had been listening but left the room for TLW. We had animals at the time we were caring for and it was just too close to home.

I've been halfway keeping my eye on the weather out there - seems like your area has been getting hit hard this year. Do you think this year's weather rivals the Ingall's long winter?

The boys and I have been listening to Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter in the car, and since it has been hovering around 20 degrees F, and I have a foot and a half of snow in my yard, it has been kind of depressing.

I recommend listening/reading this book in the summer.

UGH! I remember reading this one to my girls when they were 10 and 7,my boys were babies....It was the dead of winter, our furnace was on the fritz...we were all huddled up wrapped in blankets in front of our wood stove. We did have firewood. OY! I didn't warm up until July that year! Oh, we all just got so depressed. I will NEVER read that one in winter again.

Faithe

You need to read this blog post, which in turn refers to this blog post. :)

Ingalls was a do-dah. What a maroon.

:iagree::iagree: He made me want to SCREAM at certain parts of the books. I also was always confused about how Ma thought the girls needed "Proper" schooling when she herself was a teacher. How on earth did she send those kids out to walk so far to school, when she knew blizzards could rise up so fast and fierce. They had their books...sheesh....

I always also think how sacrificial Laura was becoming a teacher so her sister could go to the blind school. That was truly a gift.

Faithe

Yes! Thank you! This is what I'm saying.

As an adult, I greatly admire Ma now, far more so than Pa. (when I read the series as a kid it was the reverse.) She was hanging onto "civilized life" by a thread sometimes. It didn't matter that there was no one there to notice or care if they had glass windows, or if they bathed on Saturday, or if they used proper language. She made sure her girls learned manners and grace. She made sure they had an education. She wanted her girls to have advantages, and she worked towards that goal from the time they were little children. Pa never seemed satisfied with where he was and always looking to move on, but Ma always seemed to be making where she was as satisfying as possible, even if it wasn't exactly what she wanted.

The one thing I *didn't* like about Ma was when she tried to have Laura "teach" the kids who lived across the street from them in town in DeSmet when they came over to play with Carrie, and then "wondered about their mother" when she stopped sending the kids over. Uh, maybe because you were a bit presumptuous there Ma?? They came over to PLAY! :p

Not too long ago I read here on this very board that there was another entire family living with the Ingalls during TLW! Apparently they were completely useless and didn't contribute in any way--not even twisting straw--and Laura left them out of the story along with other details to keep things from getting too grim. What we read is actually the cheerful version, lol.

That said, I love that book and so do my kids. I refer to it often, along with Farmer Boy, whenever the whining and complaining get excessive.

I absolutely see what you mean about this. I often wondered why they didn't just stay in the big woods of Wisconsin - seems Pa was never content. He always wanted more for his family when they probably would have just settled for some stability. That said, I still love how they took the situation they were in and made the best of it. Ma and the girls are excellent examples of living in less-than-desirable circumstances out of their control in a gracious loving manner. Pa's discontent does not overshadow that to me.

Well made point. I do really appreciate those parts of the story.

My question has always been, "Why leave the Big Woods?" :lol: If it were up to me to settle the West, the West would still be wild LOL.

:iagree:

The Long Winter is the one that really turned me against Pa.

Also, couldn't they have just soaked the wheat and eaten it that way instead of spending all day grinding it with the coffee grinder?

In regards to Ma sending the girls to school when she herself was a teacher: I think she must have wanted the girls to go to school because of the workload she herself already had. Making their clothes, making their food, tending the garden, doing chores around the farm, etc. etc. Perhaps she felt she didn't have the time to do an adequate job? (of course she did it when she HAD to, but when given the choice, I imagine she was very glad to have one less thing on her "To Do" list)

I always thought the comparison between Little House in the Big Woods and The Long Winter was interesting. Laura described how the little house was filled with food for winter: the pumpkins, squash, and hams. . .It sounded like they wouldn't need anything until spring besides meat. Then in The Long Winter, they moved to town instead of staying on their homestead. I assume that since they were in town, they thought they wouldn't need to stock up on supplies. They could just go to the store after all. But it didn't work out that way. . .Times changed SO much between those two books.

Jennifer

I'm married to someone with a heart like Pa Ingalls:D. If there were any wilderness to be had, he'd be there. The "rugged individualist," the lone wolf, who could conquer the world, but needs a woman at his side. Sadly, I'm no Ma Ingalls. I totally get (by observation, not that I have any desire to do this myself) his need to do for himself and his family without any oversight.

We read LHotP books through a distinctly modern lens. We wouldn't put a child in a 7 year old car sear, for fear of plastic degeneration, let alone strike out on a journey full of absolute uncertainty. No guarantees of safety, nor any entitlements. You had what you made, collected, trapped, shot, or grew.

The books speak of an earlier mindset. Anyone writing a similar story now would include details about bathroom issues, (never a mention, must have had an outhouse, but writing about that would offend sensibilities) fights between Ma and Pa, the birth and death of the infant son. What would grip us as real, down to earth relatable stuff, goes by the way of "the unmentionables." Gone is the era where emotions are to be reined in, suppressed, overcome. Duty and character reign supreme.

I would never make the choices the Ingalls made. I don't have the personality, upbringing or character. I could, however, imagine, through dh's personality and character, the possibilities. What I have gained, though, is an insight into a different time and place where self reliance was a desirable trait, and some of the particulars that could play out in search of an individualist's dream.

What strikes me most about The Long Winter is that is the one time portrayed in all the books where Pa relied on some thing or some one other than himself to survive. But still it is ingenuity, hard work and perseverance that carry the day.

Edited by Lawana
typos

Then in The Long Winter, they moved to town instead of staying on their homestead. I assume that since they were in town, they thought they wouldn't need to stock up on supplies. They could just go to the store after all. But it didn't work out that way. . .Times changed SO much between those two books.

Jennifer

They didn't have a proper house on the homestead, I seem to recall. They never would have survived there.

The books speak of an earlier mindset. Anyone writing a similar story now would include details about bathroom issues, (never a mention, must have had an outhouse, but writing about that would offend sensibilities) fights between Ma and Pa, the birth and death of the infant son. What would grip us as real, down to earth relatable stuff, goes by the way of "the unmentionables." Gone is the era where emotions are to be reined in, suppressed, overcome. Duty and character reign supreme.

I think that's because she wrote them for children. I seem to recall that she thought the death of the baby brother would be too upsetting. I've never forgotten it - I read about it in a biography. He was 9 months old and died while they were travelling, and they just had to bury him and go on. I don't think I could have ever done that - to just leave my child there and not ever even be able to go visit his grave. But, as I said before, I am no settler.

So, we've been reading the series as part of our oral reading. (I read a page, Anna reads a page.) We've read Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie, On the Banks of Plum Creek, and On the Shores of Silver Lake. I read all of them when I was seven, and I don't remember disliking Long Winter, but I have to say, I just can't get excited about reading it now. I've skipped Farmer Boy, because it just felt out of sequence. I'm wondering if it would be wrong to just skip Long Winter and go onto Little Town on the Prairie? I remember finding that one particularly interesting when I was a kid. But I don't want to "do it wrong," if you know what I mean.

I loved all the books as a child... longed for my very own set. I read them aloud to my children. Then, I read her biography and I didn't like her or her family very much.... I was so disenchanted to hear the "other stuff". I don't even remember right now what all was in the book that I read. It was some anthology or some such book... letters between her and her daughter. And another book. I just didn't like them anymore. But, I still love the books. They will always be part me me... I was a little tom-boy running around the countryside wanting to be Laura once upon a time....

Reading about Rose and her life when she moved to San Francisco-oye! I thought, man, Laura and Almanzo would be horribly disappointed in how you are living young lady. She ended up marrying a flashy guy and he up and left her later on. Disappointing.

Would be interesting to learn more about what the family was really like.

I loved all the books as a child... longed for my very own set. I read them aloud to my children. Then, I read her biography and I didn't like her or her family very much.... I was so disenchanted to hear the "other stuff". I don't even remember right now what all was in the book that I read. It was some anthology or some such book... letters between her and her daughter. And another book. I just didn't like them anymore. But, I still love the books. They will always be part me me... I was a little tom-boy running around the countryside wanting to be Laura once upon a time....

In regards to Ma sending the girls to school when she herself was a teacher: I think she must have wanted the girls to go to school because of the workload she herself already had. Making their clothes, making their food, tending the garden, doing chores around the farm, etc. etc. Perhaps she felt she didn't have the time to do an adequate job? (of course she did it when she HAD to, but when given the choice, I imagine she was very glad to have one less thing on her "To Do" list)

Well, I would like to have a few things off my TO DO list as well. I really think Cathmom has a point about "socialization." I think Ma wanted her girls to have a bit of culture and social graces. I was definitely deeper than something off the to do list. Ma's girls were very capable and NOT having them home to help her was a sacrifice, not a pleasure.

Faithe

ETA: I don't think Ma married well. I know she loved her husband, but he was very different minded than she. She bore his craziness with a quiet and gentle spirit for the most part...then put her foot down and wouldn't budge once they hit De Smet. I don't think SHE had the pioneering spirit or wanderlust Pa had....She was young and in love. When life struck...her Scottish rose up and she would not allow him to move her on again. OH, I can imagine that claim shanty billowing with that argument!

Edited by Mommyfaithe

Thing is, I don't think it would bother Anna. I just don't want to read a long depressing novel right now!

I look at these kinds of stories as an opportunity to help my kids understand how fortunate we are to have SO much stuff, and a warm house, and food to eat. Around Thanksgiving we talked about the pilgrims, and then we made hard tack together. Seeing my son's face when he took a bite of it was just priceless. That night before dinner he prayed and thanked God that we don't have to eat "heart-attack". :lol:

So, we've been reading the series as part of our oral reading. (I read a page, Anna reads a page.) We've read Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie, On the Banks of Plum Creek, and On the Shores of Silver Lake. I read all of them when I was seven, and I don't remember disliking Long Winter, but I have to say, I just can't get excited about reading it now. I've skipped Farmer Boy, because it just felt out of sequence. I'm wondering if it would be wrong to just skip Long Winter and go onto Little Town on the Prairie? I remember finding that one particularly interesting when I was a kid. But I don't want to "do it wrong," if you know what I mean.

Save Farmer Boy to read after TLW. That is what I did and it made me feel a lot better. The Wilders had plenty and Laura described it in great detail.

I'd love to be snowed in and isolated (provided there was plenty of food & heat, of course) with only my family and books.

This is nice for a few days, but being completely trapped for 7 months would just about drive me bonkers. Since we've had a lot of cold and snow already, which is slightly unusual for this time of year, I'm feeling the long winter ahead in my bones.

I really don't like winter, and if I hadn't married a man whose job is tied to this state, I would move south in a heartbeat. I start panicking in September because I know the days are going to be shorter and darker and colder. I think I have that Seasonal Affective Disorder. I really get bummed out about not being able to hang out outside and talking walks in the sunshine. I do try to go outside as much as possible and even walk in the plowed roads around my house in the winter, but it's not the same. This book was like my worst nightmare come true. I just felt that the misery would never end.