Menu

S/ O--Curious: what is wrong with designer dogs?

I've only known 5, two Labradoodles, who were nice dogs, and two puggles, which seemed fairly Puggy, except they had more healthy nasal anatomy. The 5th was my adopted G. Shepard/Ridgeback, and she was a really superior dog, once she had some training (I got her because the owner let her run loose and she killed neighbor's rabbits and neighbor said she would shoot on sight, and owner didn't want to risk her dog ever getting out and being shot)

But I have an open mind--those who :glare: over them, I'd like to know what it is about designer dogs I don't know. :001_smile:

As an answer for the cost, my Peek-a-poo was/is worth every penny it cost to get her. She's the right size, she doesn't shed and smart as a whip. She has repaid us every dollar with what she has added to our lives. That is one decision I have never regretted making. I just blogged about this very thing last Friday.

http://daisiesanddominos.blogspot.com/2010/12/pink-daisies.html

Nothing is wrong with them, per se, but people are spending small fortunes for what is basically a mutt, when there are so many perfectly good dogs in shelters that they could adopt instead.

And this is different from purebreds? You get a dog in the end. (I'm not arguing, I'm wondering). I tend to know rescue-type people, and the one puggle that was purchased as a puppy was by a woman who would have bought another bred-for-sale dog, albeit purebred. I think she was torn between a cocker and a mix. No pound dog would have been rescued, regardless.

So the complaint isn't that it breeds poor beasts that suffer genetic malformations, or that they threaten the pure lines?

Nothing is wrong with them, per se, but people are spending small fortunes for what is basically a mutt, when there are so many perfectly good dogs in shelters that they could adopt instead.

The same could be said for anyone who buys a puppy from a breeder instead of adopting a shelter dog, I suppose.

I guess that's why I don't see the issue. I chose a purebred puppy over a shelter dog for a number of reasons that my family and I considered legitimate. I assume the folks who are buying other expensive dogs put as much time and thought into their decision as well.

And this is different from purebreds? You get a dog in the end. (I'm not arguing, I'm wondering). I tend to know rescue-type people, and the one puggle that was purchased as a puppy was by a woman who would have bought another bred-for-sale dog, albeit purebred. I think she was torn between a cocker and a mix. No pound dog would have been rescued, regardless.

So the complaint isn't that it breeds poor beasts that suffer genetic malformations, or that they threaten the pure lines?

I think you would have a greater argument for genetic malformations in purebreds. At least a designer dog will have new genetic lines in there.

I think it would only threaten the pure lines if someone passed off a mix as a purebred, wouldn't it? Or am I not understanding that correctly?

I think you would have a greater argument for genetic malformations in purebreds. At least a designer dog will have new genetic lines in there.

I think it would only threaten the pure lines if someone passed off a mix as a purebred, wouldn't it? Or am I not understanding that correctly?

I'm being devil's advocate. I just noticed some intense dislike for designer dogs from a couple posters, and I wondered what the beef was. I'm not pro or con. I'm just trying to imagine what wrinkled their brows....they didn't want to derail the other thread, so I'm trying to lure them into this one, as there may be something I'm totally unaware of. I don't travel in purebred or intentional X-breed circles. :) (But I will say that Shepard/Ridgeback....shall we call them "Richards"...was a fab dog).

Yes, but when you buy a pure bred (from a quality breeder) you know that that person is breeding that dog to maintain the standards of that particular breed, and they hopefully are doing it with the intention of 'bettering' the breed. You get a set of paper's with the dog's bloodline,a and you have the ability to show that dog, or possibly to have your dog bred.

With a designer mutt -you are paying outrageous prices - and having no papers to show, and doing nothing to 'better' the breed.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE labradoodles, cockapoos, goldendoodles, etc. I think that those dogs have some wonderful qualities - but I dont' think that are worth the 'pure bred' prices that people are asking for them.

Around here a Goldendoodle is $1500! To me that's just crazy.

So the argument is financial?

I am also wondering. I have a mutt, but I heard the pet shop designer dogs were neurotic and hard to train. But I have no idea why.....no one seems able to tell me. I cannot comment from personal experience, this is only my second dog ever and the first i have trained. She is only a pup and very bouncy, but she is friendly and trainable....although she won't come if there is something more exciting to investigate...like a smelly fish on the beach!!

Not only that. Some people think their fancy mutts are actually real breeds. Of course, it's their bad for not investigating a little more, but I also think people who purposely mix two different breeds, which results in mutts (regardless of how cute and wonderful they are--"mutt" is not a bad word), and then sell the pups for pure-bred prices are dishonest and deceptive.

::puts on the Xena Warrior Princess flame-proof armor::

Nothing is wrong with them, per se, but people are spending small fortunes for what is basically a mutt, when there are so many perfectly good dogs in shelters that they could adopt instead.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: "Designer dog" is a silly phrase. They are mutts and if you are willing to get a mutt, go to the pound. The high prices just foster the creation of more puppy mills. There's just no good reason for anyone to pay an exhorbidant price for a dog unless they are a serious competitor in a registered breed and/ or dog training discipline.

I am also wondering. I have a mutt, but I heard the pet shop designer dogs were neurotic and hard to train. But I have no idea why.....no one seems able to tell me. I cannot comment from personal experience, this is only my second dog ever and the first i have trained. She is only a pup and very bouncy, but she is friendly and trainable....although she won't come if there is something more exciting to investigate...like a smelly fish on the beach!!

The reason is many "designer" dogs are from puppy mills. Those dogs are not chosen for their standard meeting qualities and good temperaments. They are chosen because Poodle + Lab = Labradoodle. They are bred willy nilly and sold for high prices. It's just silly.

I think the argument for buying a purebred is that you know what you are getting. You should have breed-standard to compare to for size, temperment, and other breed-specific characteristics. A designer dog is a toss up. You might get the best of both breeds or the worst, both in temperment and in more breed-specific illnesses and injuries.

So I question whether you get anything you are paying for. To pay that kind of money for a "designer" dog that is just as much a gamble as buying a mutt, so why pay so much for it?

I don't understand why people are willing to pay high prices for any dog, but I do love my "designer dog." We got her at a shelter for $100 which included having her spayed and all of her first shots. She's a sweet little 5 lb Pom/Chihuahua mix who was surrendered by the owners of both her mother and father. They probably could have gotten a pretty penny for her. Apparently they are called Pomchis. I call her Daisy and she makes me and my kids happy.

I think the argument for buying a purebred is that you know what you are getting. You should have breed-standard to compare to for size, temperment, and other breed-specific characteristics. A designer dog is a toss up. You might get the best of both breeds or the worst, both in temperment and in more breed-specific illnesses and injuries.

Thank you, Shelly. This makes a lot of sense.

Okay, here's my answer and I'm sure I'll get flamed but.....people pay these huge prices for dogs that are basically mixed breed mutts.

Hmm, I don't think there is anything wrong with them. We have had pure breed dogs, total mutts and now have 2 labor-doodles.

Your 2 labor-doodles are wonderful! We had constant vet bills with the pure breed dogs, next to non with these two. They are fantastic with kids, were not difficult to train, are affectionate and protective when need be and we did not pay a big price for them, $200 each. We payed $100 for the one we got from the pound!

I believe that pets are to enjoy. If you enjoy a certain bread then that is what you need to get. If you have the $$ and it takes $$ to get that breed whether pure or mixed then do it and enjoy that pet. Just remember that they all take time and attention. Be ready to give once you have the pet not just receive.

By the way, I am not flaming you, just sharing my feelings.:001_smile:

I have never figured out why people get so upset about how other people spend their money. For those that dislike designer dogs for financial reasons why does it bother you for me to spend $2000 on a labradoodle? I would not be spending your money I would be spending mine and yes I would know that it isn't a purebred dog.

I think people who are against them just find them trendy and over-priced. We bought our Cockapoo for $350 and while it was certainly more than a pound dog would cost, it's not as exorbitant as a $1,000+ variety.

I'll tell you that it was the best $350 we ever spent! This dog is worth his weight in gold--he's patient with the kids, calm, loving, etc.... If I could clone him I'd buy him all over again. :D

Edited by Paintedlady

:iagree::iagree:

The other thing that gets me, is the people who sell "Labradoodles" around here claim they are perfect for people who allergic to dogs. People are not allergic to "dogs". They are allergic to the dander. And there is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog. Except the Portuguese Water Dog. And the jury is still out on that.

And $1500.00 for a mixed breed dog, is simply outrageous.

I have a "designer" dog. He is part Lab and part Golden Retriever. So i guess he is a "Goldenlab"????......:lol::lol:

I got him at the shelter as a pup, for $250.00. Shots, and neutered:D

I think it is simply a mentality issues. We can run into similar issues in the horse world. If I want to show in breed shows, I will pay top dollar for a horse with confirmation and papers. But, if I want to be an Eventer, Hunter/Jumper, Reining or Barrels...then a mix is fine. I will pay the same or more for a purebred horse as a mix depending on what it can do and what I want.

Translated: If I want a cute, pug like dog, with fewer breathing and eye problems... I may fork out the money for a puggle or bugg.

If I want to show in AKC or preserve a specific line of dog...I'll go purebred.

With the designer dog I am CHOOSEING to pay for a mutt...and I know it.

What I don't get is all the hubbub. Either, a great new breed will develop from more of the responsible breeders, or they will be relegated to the well-loved mutt pile.

Sometimes I think it's the general populaces way of saying, "the breeds we have don't meet my needs." Most dogs were bred for specific traits...this seems like a grassroots version of that.

And, yes I do know some responsible "designer dog" breeders who are working responsibly to develop a quality dog. It takes time.

I have never figured out why people get so upset about how other people spend their money. For those that dislike designer dogs for financial reasons why does it bother you for me to spend $2000 on a labradoodle? I would not be spending your money I would be spending mine and yes I would know that it isn't a purebred dog.

It doesn't bother me WHAT you spend your money on. Here's what DOES bother me:

Increasingly, more and more ridiculous combinations of breeds are being produced by so-called "breeders" who are in the biz for the money, period. They think of two breed names that sound "cute" when combined, get one of each, and wham! Designer "breed." Case in point: a neighbor just squealed with delight as she told me about the new puppy they are buying off the internet: "It's a WEENIE-POO!" she giggled. My raised eyebrow must have betrayed my skepticism because she continued, "Duh! it's a miniature Dachshund and a mini poodle! But isn't it a great name for a breed?"

There are exceptions, but for the most part, those who breed "designer dogs" do not do things like:

1. perform health testing on both parents, only breeding dogs with passing hip, elbow, eye, thyroid, cardiac and other tests.

2. follow breeding protocols that are healthy for the b**ch, such as waiting a year between litters, etc.

3. provide an enriching, stimulating environment for the pups to explore as they grow

4. perform temperament tests and litter evaluations on each pup

5. carefully screen potential puppy buyers and maintain close contact with those families

6. place puppies on spay/neuter contracts so that they will not contribute to the pet overpopulation problem over the years.

So many of these "designer breeders" have used the "THEY"RE HYPOALLERGENIC!!!" carrot as their biggest draw. This convinces many, many families that Johnny who is allergic to dogs will be FINE with a "Aussieterripoo" (Australian Terrier X MPoodle) like "Oliver" who lives three doors down and causes everyone in his family to sneeze and wheeze-- shocker, they're allergic to him! So he'll probably end up in a kill shelter like many, many others. I wish it was as simple a fix as Tiger's flea powder like that old Brady Bunch episode, but it's not. LIVES are ended, families are miserable, and meanwhile the "breeder's" pockets continue to fill.

I could go on, but you get the idea. The above are all things reputable breeders do to maintain the health and integrity of their breed. Most of these "designer" breeders advertise and sell over the internet, and move on to the next combination, with no thought to the potential physiological problems that could (and probably will) occur from crossing two breeds that themselves probably have myriad health and temperament problems.

Believe me, I couldn't care LESS what you spend your money on. What I DO care about is the misery that so many of these "designer" dogs find themselves in once they are relinquished to shelters because the family who bought them online thought the picture was cute, but didn't actually realize that the puppy would poop, pee, chew, growl, bite, need vet care, and actually make them reach for the Claritin.

I've been in purebred dogs my whole life. It makes me laugh that the "designer breeders" think that those of us in purebred dogs feel "threatened" by them. Threatened? No. Saddened and frustrated? Yes.

Flame away. There is so much else I could say but I"ll stop here.

astrid

:iagree::iagree:

The other thing that gets me, is the people who sell "Labradoodles" around here claim they are perfect for people who allergic to dogs. People are not allergic to "dogs". They are allergic to the dander. And there is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog.

Tell that to my children. My oldest is allergic to fur-bearing animals. He gets upper respiratory congestion, wheezing, and itchy watery eyes. My youngest son is allergic to furry dogs. He gets asthmatic wheezing requiring the use of an inhaler multiple times per day.

A few years ago we took in a "labradoodle" free from Craigslist. It was quite obvious that she was poorly bred. My boys were allergic to her, she was a spaz, and she did shed. Needless to say, we found a new home for her.

Now we have an Australian Labradoodle. Neither of my allergic-to-animals boys are allergic to him. He does not shed. He has a wonderful, calm temperament and is easy to train.

The Australian Labradoodle is a breed trying to get recognition from the AKC. Grandview Australian Labradoodles, where we got our boy, does every test imaginable to assure the quality of their puppies, and documents the bloodlines.

For families who might not otherwise be able to own a dog due to health issues, this is the perfect breed. They aren't raised in a puppy mill, and they are well-bred. IMO, that is certainly worth what they cost.

Yes, there may be dogs at the pound, but we couldn't own them anyway. And it is not my fault that ignoramuses breed poorly and then don't neuter their animals.

Tell that to my children. My oldest is allergic to fur-bearing animals. He gets upper respiratory congestion, wheezing, and itchy watery eyes. My youngest son is allergic to furry dogs. He gets asthmatic wheezing requiring the use of an inhaler multiple times per day.

A few years ago we took in a "labradoodle" free from Craigslist. It was quite obvious that she was poorly bred. My boys were allergic to her, she was a spaz, and she did shed. Needless to say, we found a new home for her.

Now we have an Australian Labradoodle. Neither of my allergic-to-animals boys are allergic to him. He does not shed. He has a wonderful, calm temperament and is easy to train.

The Australian Labradoodle is a breed trying to get recognition from the AKC. Grandview Australian Labradoodles, where we got our boy, does every test imaginable to assure the quality of their puppies, and documents the bloodlines.

For families who might not otherwise be able to own a dog due to health issues, this is the perfect breed. They aren't raised in a puppy mill, and they are well-bred. IMO, that is certainly worth what they cost.

Yes, there may be dogs at the pound, but we couldn't own them anyway. And it is not my fault that ignoramuses breed poorly and then don't neuter their animals.

I'm glad your family has found a great pet who brings you joy (and not has you running for Kleenex!) Similarly, your breeder seems to be a very ethical one.

However, when it comes to breed crosses, she is the exception, unfortunately. One of the things that purebred dogs have going for them is an AKC Parent Club who oversees the breed standard, breeding protocols, and showing of the dogs. Parent clubs also serve as a resource for people who are investigating the breed. If I want to buy a "WeenieChon" or a "ChiChiPoo" I have no such resource. It's buyer beware.

astrid

However, when it comes to breed crosses, she is the exception, unfortunately. One of the things that purebred dogs have going for them is an AKC Parent Club who oversees the breed standard, breeding protocols, and showing of the dogs. Parent clubs also serve as a resource for people who are investigating the breed. If I want to buy a "WeenieChon" or a "ChiChiPoo" I have no such resource. It's buyer beware.

astrid

The link in my above post goes to the Australian Labradoodle Club.

The link in my above post goes to the Australian Labradoodle Club.

Yes, I realize that. And as I said, your breeder is the exception, not the rule. There is no reputable "PorkiePoo" "WeeniePoo" or "Puggle" club.

And unfortunately, those are the dogs who are being sold all over the internet.

astrid

Just clarifying here....as I am deeply interested.

Designer dogs are more likely to be puppy milled and therefore come with all the inherent problems of any dog (breed or otherwise) that started life in a puppy mill. This is one good reason we should not buy them. Is this statement correct?

Therefore, if one brought ones designer puppy from an ethical breeder who loves spoodles or whatever and has all the correct health, temperament and purchaser checks then that would be fine?

(No axe to grind here, shelter mutt in residence, just interested)

Believe me, I couldn't care LESS what you spend your money on. What I DO care about is the misery that so many of these "designer" dogs find themselves in once they are relinquished to shelters because the family who bought them online thought the picture was cute, but didn't actually realize that the puppy would poop, pee, chew, growl, bite, need vet care, and actually make them reach for the Claritin.

Actually, spending $2000 bucks on a dog might, just might, make a family more likely to try and keep the dog, rather than, say, the pup they got for free from the neighbor down the street when their girl-dog got over the fence and produced a litter of 12.

But the amount of purebred rescues out there tell me that any dog can fall prey to this. I'm sure someone out there has the horrifying number of dogs put down every year in the US. :thumbdown:

I have nothing against any kind of dogs, but I do have a beef with disreputable breeders, no matter if they're breeding purebreds or mixed breeds. Equally, I have a beef with people who purchase pets as accessories or because they are "trendy" at the moment.

For me, I decided a long time ago I wouldn't purchase any pet, except to pay the shelter fee for it. Our wonderful old LGDs were both rescued -- one from a shelter, one from a rescue centre. With so many animals being abandoned and put down, I just think it's a better choice for me to get animals from friends or shelters.

How other people acquire pets isn't a problem to me, unless they're patronizing puppy mills or otherwise hurting those animals.

The problem is the high prices, which don't even make any sense, give incentive for unscrupulous "breeders" (puppy mills) to pop up and sell these dogs and people can end up paying these high prices for dogs with lots of problems as a result.

Just clarifying here....as I am deeply interested.

Designer dogs are more likely to be puppy milled and therefore come with all the inherent problems of any dog (breed or otherwise) that started life in a puppy mill. This is one good reason we should not buy them. Is this statement correct?

Therefore, if one brought ones designer puppy from an ethical breeder who loves spoodles or whatever and has all the correct health, temperament and purchaser checks then that would be fine?

Yes, I guess. I still think it's dumb to pay so much for a mutt. Heck, you can find a lab mix anywhere and they are pretty much all great dogs. But at the very least, people should avoid buying from a puppy mill type outfit and its not always easy to tell. Basically, if you are breeding dogs FOR THE MONEY, you are a puppy mill.

Actually, spending $2000 bucks on a dog might, just might, make a family more likely to try and keep the dog, rather than, say, the pup they got for free from the neighbor down the street when their girl-dog got over the fence and produced a litter of 12.

But the amount of purebred rescues out there tell me that any dog can fall prey to this. I'm sure someone out there has the horrifying number of dogs put down every year in the US. :thumbdown:

I never said that purebred dogs are immune. Generally, though, reputable breeders of purebred dogs do not sell over the internet, and through pet stores, which is where many designer pups are marketed.

Parent clubs from every breed work hard to educate the public, comb through pet stores and shelters and then foster/rehome dogs who need it.

The state of throw-away pets in this country, and the impulse buying of puppies online and in pet stores as well as the suppliers/brokers who put them there is a sorry subject indeed.

astrid

Yes, the problem with designer dogs is that, in the vast majority of cases, they are produced by either backyard breeders or puppy mills. A backyard breeder is someone who produces only one or a few litters from their owned pets, but does not know very much about the dogs they are using to breed, like what issues are present in their pedigrees and what are the strengths and weaknesses of their dogs. Puppy mills are dog breeding organizations that exist to make a profit--they treat dogs as an agricultural commodity. They provide no information about the pedigrees of their dogs, although often their "purebred" dogs can be registered with the AKC, and their breeding animals do not live as owned pets, but as kennel-housed brood animals.

It is as unwise to obtain a "purebred" dog from either of these organizations as it is to obtain a designer dog from one of them. In both cases, the purchase price of the animal goes to fund the unqualified breeding of dogs with no precautions as to health, temperament, or breed standard issues.

A few breeders, like the Australian club linked above, are trying to create breeder ethics and standards for what is essentially the creation of a new breed. I wish them the best of luck.

As for designer dogs that are rescued from a shelter or adopted as a stray, they can be either as wonderful or aggravating as any other dog, and there's no reason in the world not to adopt one.

The reason that dog shows exist, by the way, is not to give wealthy people something to spend their time and money on, but to evaluate breeding stock. Aside from a very few, very famous shows, like Crufts or Westminster, most dog shows are far from glamorous. They are the place where very knowlegeable judges help knowledgeable breeders attempt to improve the animals that make up a breed. It's breeders and breed clubs that sponser much of the veterinary research into dog diseases, for example, and try to develop treatments or at least find the genes responsible for things like epilepsy and thyroid disfunction. Some of that research has paided off in human medicine, too. Most breeders are far from wealthy, not least because they've picked an expensive hobby to pour all their time and money into :D. So to advise against buying dogs from backyard breeders or puppy mills is not to claim that all dogs should cost many hundreds of dollars, but to plead that we only reward through purchase price the folks who care the most about producing sound, healthy animals.

Yes, the problem with designer dogs is that, in the vast majority of cases, they are produced by either backyard breeders or puppy mills. A backyard breeder is someone who produces only one or a few litters from their owned pets, but does not know very much about the dogs they are using to breed, like what issues are present in their pedigrees and what are the strengths and weaknesses of their dogs. Puppy mills are dog breeding organizations that exist to make a profit--they treat dogs as an agricultural commodity. They provide no information about the pedigrees of their dogs, although often their "purebred" dogs can be registered with the AKC, and their breeding animals do not live as owned pets, but as kennel-housed brood animals.

The reason that dog shows exist, by the way, is not to give wealthy people something to spend their time and money on, but to evaluate breeding stock. Aside from a very few, very famous shows, like Crufts or Westminster, most dog shows are far from glamorous. They are the place where very knowlegeable judges help knowledgeable breeders attempt to improve the animals that make up a breed. It's breeders and breed clubs that sponser much of the veterinary research into dog diseases, for example, and try to develop treatments or at least find the genes responsible for things like epilepsy and thyroid disfunction. Some of that research has paided off in human medicine, too. Most breeders are far from wealthy, not least because they've picked an expensive hobby to pour all their time and money into :D. So to advise against buying dogs from backyard breeders or puppy mills is not to claim that all dogs should cost many hundreds of dollars, but to plead that we only reward through purchase price the folks who care the most about producing sound, healthy animals.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I love you, Bird Girl!

Yeah. Glamorous they ain't. Seriously.

astrid

A few years ago we took in a "labradoodle" free from Craigslist. It was quite obvious that she was poorly bred.

Hm. I wonder how a mixed-breed dog could be "poorly bred"?

Interesting.

I don't understand why people are willing to pay high prices for any dog, but I do love my "designer dog." We got her at a shelter for $100 which included having her spayed and all of her first shots. She's a sweet little 5 lb Pom/Chihuahua mix who was surrendered by the owners of both her mother and father. They probably could have gotten a pretty penny for her. Apparently they are called Pomchis. I call her Daisy and she makes me and my kids happy.

I'm sure she's a wonderful pet, and that's the most important thing. :-)

Anyone who tried to get a "pretty penny" for her would have been, well, not ethical. She's a mixed-breed dog, a mutt, who should only have been sold for the cost of food and worming (and, preferably, spaying). IOW, what you paid is just about right.

Some people might call her a "Pomchi." However, that's just a made-up name to try to make her sound like an actual breed.

So I question whether you get anything you are paying for. To pay that kind of money for a "designer" dog that is just as much a gamble as buying a mutt, so why pay so much for it?

:iagree:

It doesn't bother me WHAT you spend your money on. Here's what DOES bother me:

Increasingly, more and more ridiculous combinations of breeds are being produced by so-called "breeders" who are in the biz for the money, period. They think of two breed names that sound "cute" when combined, get one of each, and wham! Designer "breed."

astrid

:iagree:

All 3 of my dogs have been mutts. My mother has had a few pure bred dogs, and the rest mutts. Each has been great in his own way. Everyone has different reasons for choosing what dog is right for them. My problem with designer mutts is the over breeding due to a fad. This does happen with pure breeds too when they become trendy and irreputable breeders try to cash in. If a labradoodle is the dog you want, then by all means get one. But do your research, meet the parents and pups, get references, and all of the other investigating you'd do if you were getting a rescue or pure bred dog. And don't go to the local puppy store.

Hm. I wonder how a mixed-breed dog could be "poorly bred"?

It's very possible for a mixed breed to be poorly bred. Even many purebred dogs are genetic nightmares. Take two different dogs, each a genetic nightmare of an example of it's respective breed and breed them together. You can spot these often hideous dogs a mile away.

On the other hand, my vet had a client that raised and showed golden retrievers and was caring for a cocker spaniel (show dog) for a friend. Well, the two show (conformation AND obedience) dogs accidentally got together and you should have seen that litter of puppies - ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! They were "well bred" mutts, easy to find homes for and all gorgeous, healthy, great dogs! My girlfriend has one of the pups (Misty) and every time I see her I marvel at how beautiful and well put together she is.

Yes, even mutts can be poorly bred when horrible examples of the original breeds are mixed together to make frankenstein dogs.

The people we got our purebred English Springer Spaniels from, wanted us to breed our female dog. We refused because even though she has an impeccable pedigree, she is not a good example of her breed. She is smaller than the norm, she has horrible teeth that could stand having some braces on them, her face is more puggy than spanielly (how do you like those made-up words!). She doesn't have health problems that we know of, but if we bred her we would most likely be passing on her problems in some way. Now we love her as a pet but she is not good for breeding. We actually suspected this when we took her because she was the runt of the litter and showed some problems even as a wee puppy.

It's hard to be glamorous when your clothes are covered with dog hair and your pockets are full of liver!

:lol::lol::lol:

OMG I am dying--- yes, ain't that the truth! Pockets full of liver (or worse!) poop bags in another pocket, feet that feel like you've walked a million miles before breakfast and exhausted circles under your eyes from listening to your dog pant all. night. long. because the AC isn't working in the cheesy (but cheap and dog-friendly!) Motel 6. Plus it's all you can afford, since you've paid entry fees, the expensive repro vet, your regular vet for OFA x-rays, cardiac and thyroid panels, a cardiologist for heart clearances, a canine opthamologist for the CERF testing, had PennHip readings done just in case, and now you're out chasing points and watching the males in the ring, looking for EXACTLY the right combination of temperament, type and clean genetics to MAYBE try for a litter.

Sigh. It's the life we love, though. :001_smile:

astrid

I have to admit I have no knowledge of a designer dog beyond beginning to study Labradoodles. ;) But I have owned purebreds with AKC (Belgian Malinois) and TICA (Ragdoll cat) paperwork. Both breeds were wonderful pets and incredibly smart and well trained. I would own one again in a heartbeat. We have also owned mutts from the pound whose owners didn't want them anymore. One dog was left on our doorstop one night and became our beloved dog.

From what I understand in my research of Labradoodles by a reputable breeder (the one I was looking at was in Australia) the Lab is with papers and the Poodles is also. Labradoodles were originally bred for guide dog use by those blind with severe allergies to dog dander. Breeders are divided over breeding past early 1st gen in Labradoodles. Some say they are seeing health issues in multigen LD with eye problems and kidney disease -- particularily in Australia. Others don't care and breed away.

Yes, the mixed puppy does not come with papers, obviously :D due to AKC regs on pure bloodlines. But the puppy in the 1st generation is hypo-allergenic. If that Labradoodle is bred to another LD or Lab or Poodle, then the hypo-allergenic claim is not there. Confusing. But this is one reason the price is so high. The breeder is using her best breeds for someone who wants that type of dog.

OTOH, I have heard of MANY "Labradoodles" who are not "pure" 1st gen -- and are 2nd/3rd gen and are basically mutts with a high price tag. To that, I tend to agree with the OP and say why pay such a high price for a mixed breed when you can adopt?

Edited by tex-mex

OTOH, I have heard of MANY "Labradoodles" who are not "pure" 1st gen -- and are 2nd/3rd gen and are basically mutts with a high price tag. To that, I tend to agree with the OP and say why pay such a high price for a mixed breed when you can adopt?

Even "pure" 1st generation lab/poodle mixes are still just that: mutts with a high price tag (even though they're wicked cute :D ).

Even "pure" 1st generation lab/poodle mixes are still just that: mutts with a high price tag (even though they're wicked cute :D ).

Well, yeah -- but the original intent of breeding a Labradoodle was for use as a guide dog in the 1980's for those blind with severe allergies. The popularity of the "cuteness" factor took off as a result.

Edited by tex-mex