Menu

The King's Speech with Colin "Yummy" Firth

Oooo! Hadn't heard of this yet. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. (Love the title "Colin 'Yummy' Firth", btw. I think it'll be forever in my brain now. :D) I love some of the other actors mentioned, too. Will definitely have to see this one. :)

I think the advance word-of-mouth on this will make is HUGE when it eventually opens - right now it is in FOUR theaters nationwide :glare: yet there is so much publicity out for it.... I think I read somewhere it opens in wider release by the end of next week.

Mr. Darcy, Bellatrix and Barbossa...

But I hope that it will cause people to be more understanding of those with stammers/stutters, and that it won't suggest that the issue is easy to cure. Hobbes has an intermittent stutter and it doesn't get the kind of sympathy that some other disabilities rightly receive.

Laura

From what I saw, it does not at all suggest it's easy. In fact, it shows how hard it was for him to give public speeches (the clip I saw) and showed footage of him watching Hitler in admiration (!) of his easy and dynamic speaking style, without knowing the meaning of what he was saying.

Jeffrey Rush plays his speech therapist, and the speech issues are a major theme of the movie.

• 1 month later...

It is extremely well cast. I'd give it 5 stars.

It kind of shows you how disabilities cut through all social classes, and is a very fascinating way to look at that period in British history...

The only caveat I'd give is that part of his therapy includes saying all the 4 letter words he can get out... so it's not a kid friendly movie in that way... However, if there was a way to BLEEP those words out, I'd have my teens see it in a heartbeat..

The only caveat I'd give is that part of his therapy includes saying all the 4 letter words he can get out... so it's not a kid friendly movie in that way... However, if there was a way to BLEEP those words out, I'd have my teens see it in a heartbeat..

My kids do their own bleeping :D. If we're watching Doctor Who and he says "where the h#!! is it?", you'll hear two "BEEEEEEPPPP"s from various parts of the room.

drive by posting....:auto:

I went to see it on New Year's Day. FABULOUS. Really, really. I, who never pay for movie tickets but wait until it comes out on Netflix, paid for two full-price tickets to go see this with my dh.

Colin Firth is yummy. His wife, Helena Bonham Carter rocked her role. Geoffrey Rush performed at his best. I hope all three of them get Golden Globes.

AFA screening it goes, there is a fair amount of cussing in it---cussing as a therapeutic technique. The focus on the movie is the Duke of York/King George VI's speech issue, and his treatment by Dr. Logue (I don't know if that's how you spell it.).

I can hardly wait to see this! I've been following it for months now on the GREAT blog, Enchanted Serenity of Period Films that I follow. It is dedicated to period-piece movies and TV shows. Lots of interesting background info about the movie there.

My kids do their own bleeping :D. If we're watching Doctor Who and he says "where the h#!! is it?", you'll hear two "BEEEEEEPPPP"s from various parts of the room.

Totally OT, but I just can't pass up a Who reference, you know! My girls do the 1980's sitcom studio audience thing, "ooooOOOOOOO!!!!!!!, the Doctor said a bad woooooooord!" :lol::lol:

Edited by BikeBookBread

My daughter and I saw it on Sunday afternoon. It is wonderful! :hurray::hurray: It carries an R rating because of language.....that was a surprise to me and I might not have seen it if I'd known that ahead of time.

The story is inspiring and so well done. I hope Colin Firth will be nominated for an oscar. Oh- a plus to the movie- Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennett) is also in the movie.

I saw it yesterday with ds21. This week, we've seen Black Swan and The King's Speech--we like to see the possible Oscar contenders if we can, and these two are definitely possibilities.

Geoffrey Rush is exquisite--and Helena B Carter is great, in an understated way. Colin Firth was fine--very fine. I do want to see 127 Hours, though, since ds21 thinks James Franco should edge out Firth for the Oscar (not saying he will, just that he should! LOL).

GREAT blog, Enchanted Serenity of Period Films that I follow. It is dedicated to period-piece movies and TV shows.

Oh. my. goodness. WHY HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING THIS BLOG FROM ME!!!!!:glare: So unfair to just now find it! Now how will I get anything done this afternoon?! Huh? Answer me that!

Stephanie, you'll appreciate this...I just got The Tenant of Wildfell Hall from Netflix and can't wait for everyone to go to bed tonight so I can snuggle in and lose myself!:D

Hmmmmm. Wonder which of my IRL friends will go see The King's Speech with me?

I think it is crazy that there has been so much publicity and resultant great word-of-mouth for this and it is in such limited release. By the time it hits my local theater I will have talked myself into waiting to Netflix it.

But at least in my own home I can drool in private. Oh, Mr. Darcy!!!! :-)

But I hope that it will cause people to be more understanding of those with stammers/stutters, and that it won't suggest that the issue is easy to cure. Hobbes has an intermittent stutter and it doesn't get the kind of sympathy that some other disabilities rightly receive.

Laura

:iagree::iagree:

I think it is crazy that there has been so much publicity and resultant great word-of-mouth for this and it is in such limited release. By the time it hits my local theater I will have talked myself into waiting to Netflix it.

But at least in my own home I can drool in private. Oh, Mr. Darcy!!!! :-)

It's in wide release now.

I can hardly wait to see this! I've been following it for months now on the GREAT blog, Enchanted Serenity of Period Films that I follow. It is dedicated to period-piece movies and TV shows. Lots of interesting background info about the movie there.

Totally OT, but I just can't pass up a Who reference, you know! My girls do the 1980's sitcom studio audience thing, "ooooOOOOOOO!!!!!!!, the Doctor said a bad woooooooord!" :lol::lol:

Thank you for linking that blog!

Oh. my. goodness. WHY HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING THIS BLOG FROM ME!!!!!:glare: So unfair to just now find it! Now how will I get anything done this afternoon?! Huh? Answer me that!

Stephanie, you'll appreciate this...I just got The Tenant of Wildfell Hall from Netflix and can't wait for everyone to go to bed tonight so I can snuggle in and lose myself!:D

Hmmmmm. Wonder which of my IRL friends will go see The King's Speech with me?

I think I'm just going to have to kick dh out for a weekend. I didn't even know there was a movie of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall! I really enjoyed that book.