• 10-12 lb
    • 13-15 lb
    • 16-18 lb
    • 19-21 lb
    • 22-24 lb
    • 25-27 lb
    • More than 27 lb

17 lbs. For 5 people. Two are small.

I promised my dh I'd get one under 22 lbs. for once, since he always complains about how I get a huge bird. I brought the 17 lb.er home, and he said, "Are you sure you're going to be OK with one so small?" I came close to hurling the thing at his head. :tongue_smilie:

Well I will find out the exact weight when I pick it up on Monday. I ordered a 24+ lb turkey this year. He told me it could be 24lbs or up to 32lbs. Last year everyone complained that there was not any leftovers, so I am making sure that there is this year!

I bought a 16lb turkey for 9 people (including the kids 7 and 5 who won't eat too much). After reading these replies, I'm a little worried that my turkey isn't big enough but we've had up to 11 people before and I've never had a turkey bigger than 18lbs because I cook it in a roaster. We have a lot of sides but I do want to have leftovers, hmmm...... maybe I should buy a ham too:confused:.

I usually buy a 15-20 lb. turkey. For three people. :001_huh: Leftovers are VERY important to my husband and son. And, since it's not any more work to roast a big turkey than a small one (and dh does the carving), I like knowing I won't have to cook for a couple of days after Thanksgiving. They like to eat the leftovers as they are (a plate of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc.), and I usually use some of the leftover turkey to make chili or tortilla soup. So that's my plan. I haven't bought the turkey yet, though. I'll probably buy it on Tuesday (fresh brined turkey from Trader Joe's).

Wendi

You forgot OTHER!!! :tongue_smilie:

I buy (or get free) 2 20-25 lb Turkeys. This year Bro is deep frying one and I'm roasting the other. Even with just my rents coming we still eat a lot of turkey and now everyone gets to bring leftovers home. Cause it's all about the *sandwich* after T day. :001_smile:

10 pounds for 4 people, two of whom barely touch turkey. I really was going to just do a breast, but when I saw that I could get the whole turkey for the same price, I just couldn't do it. I really love all the leftovers, and I am used to turning a 5 pound chicken into 2 dinners, one lunch, plus a big pot of soup -- I'll do at least that much with the turkey.