Menu

IF YOU ARE A FORMER GLUTTON, how did you permanently END the DESIRE to overeat ?!?!

From what I've heard, people will be allowed more points and then I heard something about how fruits are going to be 0 points.

I can't wait to see the changes!

Yeah (this is all based on the ProPoints I've heard about...the speculation is that in America they will be called PointsPlus so this is NOT the gospel here...) more Points per day and most fruits and veggies will be free (reasonable amounts, no starchy veggies).

OTOH, a lot of other things will be higher in Points. Calories will no longer be a part of the Points equation, rather the components of the foods (Protein, carbs, fat, fiber I believe). So a 100-Calorie pack of cookies will definitely be more Points than it was because it is devoid of any real nutritional value. You can still choose to have treats like this of course, but you might think twice about it before you do.

It really sounds to me like WW is coming around to the "clean eating" way of thinking.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler

Yeah (this is all based on the ProPoints I've heard about...the speculation is that in America they will be called PointsPlus so this is NOT the gospel here...) more Points per day but most fruits and veggies will be free (reasonable amounts, no starchy veggies).

OTOH, a lot of other things will be higher in Points. Calories will no longer be a part of the Points equation, rather the components of the foods (Protein, carbs, fat, fiber I believe). So a 100-Calorie pack of cookies will definitely be more Points than it was because it is devoid of any real nutritional value. You can still choose to have treats like this of course, but you might think twice about it before you do.

It really sounds to me like WW is coming around to the "clean eating" way of thinking.

I'd better gobble up my 100 calorie snacks before Tgiving, then. LOL

Seriously though, if this new way of doing points forces me to eat even better than it already has, I'm all for it.

I'd better gobble up my 100 calorie snacks before Tgiving, then. LOL

Seriously though, if this new way of doing points forces me to eat even better than it already has, I'm all for it.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread by talking about the new WW plan but I agree! I've been on WW for over a year and I've lost 35 pounds (have a lot more to go!). Most of that weight loss was in the first 6 months of joining. So I'm hoping this change will give me that "new member" feeling...and progress. And just in time for the holidays. It sure would be nice to LOSE weight this winter!

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread by talking about the new WW plan but I agree! I've been on WW for over a year and I've lost 35 pounds (have a lot more to go!). Most of that weight loss was in the first 6 months of joining. So I'm hoping this change will give me that "new member" feeling...and progress. And just in time for the holidays. It sure would be nice to LOSE weight this winter!

I agree. And, I hope our little WW hijack has been encouraging to the OP. :001_smile:

Huge, huge glutton here. I'm am now in my third attempt since I was 30 to lose 20-25+ pounds (the other two times I lost 35 or so; this time I'm aiming for 20-25; the weight came back on after having babies).

I used to be a Weigh Down Workshop leader, and I wholeheartedly believe in the principles taught in that program (eat when you're physically hungry, stop when you're satisfied), although I, like someone else mentioned above, didn't buy into all Gwen's interpretations of Scripture. Thin Within is a book with a similar idea, but without the doctrinal yuck, and that's the book I used the second time I lost the weight.

What's really making a difference this time: Learning, as some said above, that "hunger is my friend." Hunger is NOT bad and in fact I'm starting to like feeling hungry more than I like being full. Just before starting this third weight loss journey at the end of August, I read the life of my patron saint (St. Juliana the Merciful). She was a homemaker with a very pious devotion to God who was constantly busy with works of mercy toward others. She didn't eat before a certain time of day (mid afternoon), and when she did eat it was not in a feasting manner, so I started realizing she probably lived feeling knowing the feeling of true physical hunger quite a bit. I've been pressing into that with Christ's help and through the intercessions of St. Juliana.

I read recently that fasting is a way of starving out the enemy within, similar to when an army surrounds an enemy village and doesn't let food in. Unless they surrender, the enemy dies. (Bad example in that I don't like thinking of people as the enemy; the devil is the enemy of mankind). So, exercising self control in a decisive way can do the same thing to the spirit of gluttony -- weaken it until it dies or leaves. We do have to eat some food, of course, but just what our bodies need to survive. Cutting out all the rest, to me, is starving the enemy (gluttony) out.

I still struggle sometimes, but my food intake had dropped tremendously. More than that, I don't sit here through the day (for the most part) longing to eat, or thinking about food. I let it go until it's time to eat -- then I try to have a regular sized meal, not a big one. This is more the goal this time -- food not having that hold on me anymore. I've lost 9 lbs so far. When I feel like I'm going to miss it, I try to remember St. Juliana (and, really, most of the saints through the ages) and to follow them as they followed Christ; to eat like them -- with food not having a hold on them -- like they ate like Christ.

Anyway, these have been my thoughts/processes of late!

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

As for dealing with the emotional aspect of it all, now instead of stuffing my face with food when I'm sad, I cry. Seriously. I used to NEVER cry. To my mother, it was a sign of weakness, so I never cried. I just ate. Now I cry. I let the tears flow when I feel hurt, and get it all out. And afterward, I feel much much better than I would when I'd scarf down chocolate cake.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

You're healing. :grouphug:

I put it in God's hands. I gave up thinking that I could do this on my own. I stopped thinking that it was something I could fix.

:iagree: Once I realized that, everything fell in place. For the first time in my life I'm not emotional about it. I don't feel guilty, don't blame myself or anyone else.

I don't keep any trigger foods in our house. The only sweets are hard candy which I can't stand. No HFCS. Mostly whole wheat and brown rice. I'm making sure that I eat enough protein, fruit and veggies. Portion control (thanks, Weight Watchers).

Oh, how I wish that were true. This may have worked for you, but this one-size-fits-all answer is not for everyone. I struggle with overeating of real, healthy, whole foods with lots of protein and adequate fat. I have to count weight watchers points and force myself to exercise in order to not gain weight. I lost 22 lbs so far after years of overeating the good, healthy stuff.

:iagree:

This is my experience too. If I eat more than 1500 calories even if it is all good, I gain weight. I walk 11 miles per week and do 30 minutes of pilates 3 times a week. It frustrates me that I can't eat more. I am hungry a lot. I am 5' 7" I have lost 20 pounds but still have 30 to go.

Oh, how I wish that were true. This may have worked for you, but this one-size-fits-all answer is not for everyone. I struggle with overeating of real, healthy, whole foods with lots of protein and adequate fat. I have to count weight watchers points and force myself to exercise in order to not gain weight. I lost 22 lbs so far after years of overeating the good, healthy stuff.

I'm curious if you eliminated all grains and starches, or just refined carbs? I can gain weight on whole grains easily, but lose weight when I eat no grains at all.

I don't want to JUST reach my proper weight (although this would be awesome). I WANT to end this war for good. I want overeating to be as repugnant to me as it is to my kids who eaily push away a grape after they've eaten their teenyweeny meal!

I haven't learned how to do this either. I've been on WW 3 times now. I get close to my desired weight, decide it's good enough, maintain for a couple of months and then gain it all back. The good news is that I have never gained beyond my WW starting point.

So I'm supposed to be on the program again, on my own because of money and time, and here I sit at school browsing this board with chick-fil-a in front of me. Plus, I got the hot mocha coffee from a place like starbucks because it is a weakness. I don't hate myself, but I'm not exactly happy with myself either.

I'm curious if you eliminated all grains and starches, or just refined carbs? I can gain weight on whole grains easily, but lose weight when I eat no grains at all.

I've tried no carb and low carb and it was not pretty, and ultimately, not good for my health (according to my very extensive bloodwork.) I eat a moderate carb diet that is low on grains. Grains are my weakness and I have to work VERY HARD at not overeating grains.

Like I said before, one size does not fit all.

Well, for me, reducing carbs. I find that when I eat eat a bread, rice, or pasta-based meal, I literally cannot eat enough to feel satisfied. But if my meal is protein+veggies, one moderate-sized plate is absolutely enough and I have no desire to snack between meals.

:iagree: Cravings IMHO are often physiological. For example, I have read that insulin resistance makes one so hungry that one feels as if they are being grabbed by the shoulder and told to, "Eat! Eat!"

I find with less carbs and less refined carbs and some protein at every meal that hunger strikes less.

As for reformed gluttons, I think they are few and far between. I also think the word glutton is the wrong word since it implies that people have control over this and I believe that there are strong physiological things going on that make it very difficult to lose weight and that is why IMO that over 90% of those trying to lose weight are unsuccessful.

I once had a friend tell me she read/heard the following (paraphrased) from someone; it has made a lot of sense to me:

Going to weight loss meetings where the discussion is on food content, calories, good/bad recipes, etc. is like alcoholics going to their meetings and the leader encouraging discussion of drinks and their contents/tastes, etc. The focus on food is what's wrong with fat people and what they need to do is to quit with thinking so much about it.

That said, I don't know what to think!?!

I wonder if that's why the success rates of "diets" is so low -- because the food is STILL the focus --- what to eat, what not to eat, etc.

I don't know how to marry the two issues of 1. I'm fat and out of control with food (my words here) and 2. I need to give up the thought of the food (which feels so out of control) to fix the underlying problem.

And, I really have not met many people IN EITHER CAMP who'd claim to have ENDED the war within.

(Sorry not much help, am I)

I'm still confused. I can't find any posts that are written in all caps. I was reading this thread when you first posted and couldn't find any rude or all-caps posts then either, so I don't think anybody edited to remove the caps. Maybe I'm just oblivious. It's been known to happen. :D

The subject line is written in a whole lot of caps.

Since I became an Orthodox Christian, I do this, as does every Orthodox Christian to the best of his/her ability, every Wednesday and Friday, as well as the 7 weeks preceding Pascha (Easter) and Christmas, and 2 other seasons of the year...

Please pray for us, Patty Joanna, as we begin the Nativity Fast Monday (and I'll pray for you as well). Can't believe it's been almost two years since we came to your church! The Nativity Fast last year was the first "big" one we did -- such a blessing, but challenging too. I value your prayers.

Well, for me, reducing carbs. I find that when I eat eat a bread, rice, or pasta-based meal, I literally cannot eat enough to feel satisfied. But if my meal is protein+veggies, one moderate-sized plate is absolutely enough and I have no desire to snack between meals.

I don't know that I would call myself a glutton, but I have been heavier at times, and the only thing, besides a low-fat vegan diet, that has ever helped . . . was getting interested in life. You have to have interests that are stronger than eating.

Get out, get involved, take up some interests, whatever gets you thinking about something other than eating. And you'll watch the weight melt away . . . :)

:iagree: with this also.

Eliminated HFCS from my diet.

This too - I had to give up regular soda all together and watch the HFCS all together. Someone mentioned in another post that it is all fructose that isn't tied up in the fruit and I agree. Excess sugar without much else (juice and soda are both pretty much sugar and water) makes me starve. However, I don't drink much diet soda either - maybe one can a day (and many times I drink none.)

One of the Biggest Loser contestants mentioned in a magazine that she takes fiber supplements everyday to help control cravings. I have been doing that off and on for years. If I take Benefiber three times a day it really helps me feel full (for the most part). It has to do with Leptin and how this hormone helps control your appetite and other things.

Google Leptin to find some good information on how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosedale-Diet-Ron/dp/006056573X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289484056&sr=1-1

Well, I am not taking fiber supplements, but I do aim for a high fiber diet. You can get plenty of fiber from fruits, veggies, and beans. Another tip - whole grains are not high fiber. High fiber is 3 or more grams of fiber per 100 calories and you won't find a whole grain at that level without added fiber. Plant cellulose or oat fiber added doesn't bother me - inulin does. I don't eat anything made by Fiber One.

I can honestly say that developing lactose intolerance has made eating anything dairy much less interesting.

I no longer want to eat ice cream or cream sauces, the gas and cramping are much more painful than the fleeting taste is good. Milk chocolate is out too. I have my lactaid tablets and they do work, but somehow the necessity of trading mouthfuls of chewable lactaid and mouthfuls of yummy food is not very appealing.

I am not lactaid intolerant, but I am allergic to dairy products. They make me sneeze, cough, gag, itch all over, etc. I have mostly given them up for this reason (sometimes I have a little, but really try not to.) This has also made me eat less and what I eat overall is lower calorie.

I've tried no carb and low carb and it was not pretty, and ultimately, not good for my health (according to my very extensive bloodwork.) I eat a moderate carb diet that is low on grains. Grains are my weakness and I have to work VERY HARD at not overeating grains.

I don't limit carbs, just grains. My diet is still high carb, but from plants.

Of course, I am far from done. I still have a long way to go.

I decided 2 months ago that I was *done* with being this way. I cannot hide from my problems by eating food. At the same time, I started focusing on what *I* needed in my life instead of always filling it up with what is best for everyone else.

I have lost 25+ pounds in that two months. I am working out everyday for 1.5-2 hours (yes, actual exercise time, and no, I couldn't do as much work more efficiently and workout less.) The point in the exercise is twofold - one is to train for the 5K I am *running* in February. For no other reason than I *want to*!:D Also, I don't want to lose a ton of muscle as I lose weight, so I am weight training quite a bit to build muscle.

Nothing is forbidden, though, not even grains and dairy - as long as it is not often and not alot. I have eaten more of those things over the past few days and I can tell, so I will eliminate them for the next few days to balance it out.

Before anyone says, "Oh, but it has only been 2 months!" - I have never in my life stuck to *any* exercise or change in diet for more than a couple of weeks. I have never lost this much weight or even this percentage of weight. You'll just have to trust me when I say I am *done* with the things that made me this way.

These changes involve everything in my life, not just weight. The underlying issues were what really made me fat, not the food I ate or the exercise I didn't do. Make sense?

Thanks for replying. I actually do still eat carbs, in the shape of fruit and sweet potatoes, nuts, etc. I too find that grains are the bugaboo that make me overeat.

:001_smile:Thanks, guess I missed that.(As I am quietly walking through this thread;).)

:lol: You're very welcome ;)

Once I realized that, everything fell in place. For the first time in my life I'm not emotional about it. I don't feel guilty, don't blame myself or anyone else.

I don't keep any trigger foods in our house. The only sweets are hard candy which I can't stand. No HFCS. Mostly whole wheat and brown rice. I'm making sure that I eat enough protein, fruit and veggies. Portion control (thanks, Weight Watchers).

I've found that I actually desire "real foods" over processed foods. That, I'm absolutely positive has made a HUGE difference.

:grouphug:

You all have given me so many great ideas and thoughts to mull over. I have so many (if not all) to which I'd like to ask/respond to but I'm going to have to do it in spurts. For the record, if I add a (...) it means that I deleted something from the quote and added (...) to let you know that the ... are mine and not from original. It's my own (emphasis mine) signal.

(...)...The only thing I have found to help keep weight from adding up is drinking water constantly. But that does nothing to prevent the urge to eat.

On the days I drink plenty of water I find it does reduce (not "prevent" as you also find) my food cravings, so thanks for the reminder.

I drink WAY too much soda (not diet, the real stuff:blush:)....so I definitely get too much sugar and empty calories.

I don't know that I would call myself a glutton, but I have been heavier at times, and the only thing, besides a low-fat vegan diet, that has ever helped . . . was getting interested in life. You have to have interests that are stronger than eating.

Get out, get involved, take up some interests, whatever gets you thinking about something other than eating. And you'll watch the weight melt away . . . :)

You're right. I have NO activities I do for me. I'm a SAHM and love being home with the kids, but my work here at home is hard --- cleaning and schooling, as we know, are NOT easy/stressfree. And, when I look back on my life, the times when I was skinny were times when I had life interests that distracted me from food. Good idea. I've been thinking about getting back into music. Hmmmmm.....

I can honestly say, I never got full

I could eat and eat and never stop

I hit 260 and cried.

I walked 25 minute and did 1/2 a mile and cried, called my hubby who picked me up

my thighs were chaffed and I got hemroids

more tears

I blew my nose and said enough

I kept walking the next day,

I used powder on my legs

prep H on the other end

and made it a mile

I kept going

I was doing 2 miles a day

I stopped eating starch...cold turkey! no sugar

40 pounds in 6 months

I am now on a maintain...I eat smaller amounts and will begin the no starch in Feb for 40 more pounds

I now walk 4 miles in 1 hour!

I laugh and play with my kids

I decided this was enough

am I full, no

I could keep eating but I remember that pain and don't want to do that again!

editing to open myself to encourage you in any way to break the cycle!

Your story is so inspiring and admirable. Thanks for sharing. You give me hope!

Did you do a certain plan/program with regard to your meal planning?

I'm a recovering (slowly) overeater. I have gone full spectrum on eating disorders. I was anorexic at two different times in my life.....then the last 10 years or so, I slowly put on weight until I was at my highest I'd ever been, 204lbs (I'm 5'7").

I wound up getting sick back in August. I've always had health issues but my stomach was NOT happy with the diet I had acquired (mass amounts of chocolate every day, tons of fat, comfort foods by the truck load or so it seemed). I finally hit a wall and realized after a trip to the ER, that if I didn't start eating better, I was going to die. (I had my gallbladder out a few years back but my bile ducts are prone to stones and they could do a special scope but it would most likely give me pancreatitis as well as other complications that could last a lifetime...so this is my alternative ).

I wish I could say I had this epiphany and decided it was time to eat healthy but if I hadn't gotten sick, I wouldn't have started this diet.

I can tell you that I feel so much better now. I've lost 44 lbs so far and have another 25'ish to go. The hip pain that I was dealing with anytime I would sit criss cross is gone. My fibromyalgia pain is lessened and my IBS symptoms are MUCH better. I have motivation to keep going now because I've made so much progress that I don't want to ever go back to how it was. No chocolate is worth it . (I tend to be obsessive about my chocolate so that is huge).

I wish you well on your journey and maybe we can all support each other. I think support is the key when you are trying to make a life change like this.

Another inspiration! Thanks. Good idea on the supporting each other too. I'll PM you from time to time:).

I'm not sure I'm in the "permanent" success camp, but I've made a lot of progress in the past 5.5 months.

I, like many of the previous posters, also used food to soothe, numb, entertain myself when I was feeling hurt, sad, or bored. There were several rough marriage patches, major moves away from family and friends, and other major life stresses. I kept telling myself it was time to get serious, to lose the weight, to stop the emotional binging. But I just couldn't really make the change and stick to the eating and exercise plans that I knew would work for me. I read so many books and websites, gathered information, learned about fitness...but it was all just head knowledge while I was seeking comfort in food. Then this past May, I just knew it was time. My MIL died at 60 in March from obesity related problems, my marriage was crumbling (related to MIL dying and my weight). I turned my corner on May 24th.

Like other posters, I have to eat high protein, adequate fat, and low carbs to feel satisfied and keep cravings at bay. I workout *hard*, a friend helps me with workout routines. I've lost 40 lbs so far (give or take) and am about halfway to my dream weight. I feel like this time I'm doing it. This the longest I've stayed on track with eating well and regular exercise. The out of control eating has stopped. I've had a few slip-ups, but in general I feel like I've made the psychological and lifestyle changes that had to happen for success. It also helps that some of the emotional stresses were resolved.

I also stopped seeing food as a reward or an escape. It's proper fuel for my workouts and daily energy. I allow myself a treat if I really, really want something once or twice a week. I try to make myself wait till Saturday or Sunday and then see if I still want whatever I was craving. All or nothing thinking was a binge trigger for me for years. If I feel like one bite of sugar is the kiss of death, I'm likely to spiral out of control if I take that one bite, then indulge since I already screwed up. And THEN it takes me days to get back on track with "start fresh tomorrow" thinking. Once I'd lost the first 30+ lbs the motivation to not regain it was stronger too, so when I've slipped into old habits, I'm quicker to get back on track so I don't lose the ground I've gained.

Jami

It's the starch...eliminate or greatly reduce white sugar, white flour, white rice, and replace with whole grain flour, a little bit of honey or dates, brown basmati. The white simple starches stimulate hunger and appetite, and do nothing at all to satisfy hunger. I'm battling this right now, because I love these things, so retraining taste buds takes time and fortitude, but I am winning.

I gave up carbs for the most part. Once my blood sugar got back in control I stopped having all those cravings and need to overeat. I find myself eating aimlessly sometimes, but I actually get full and want to stop!!! That never happened before. I do have fruit, veggies, meat, some dairy, and sometimes red wine or beer, and some extra dark (more than 80%) chocolate and I'm happy. I splurge some here and there, but not a ton. Check out the Primal Blueprint, or www.marksdailyapple.com for more info.

I haven't rread all of the postings, but I will say that limiting white carbs (white flour, potatoes, rice, etc,) makes a huge difference. I don't crave them after the first week. And when I do indulge I feel like CRAP. Seriously, I can't eat a fast food hamburger without feeling completely disgusting, much less fries.

You need to find a way to pamper yourself without food. I also quilt or embroider or fold laundry while watching TV to control the urge to do something with my hands while watching TV.

One thing that helped me was to promise myself to never eat anything unless I am sitting at the table with a plate and fork. no eating over the kitchen sink.

More ideas I haven't seen mentioned above:

(1) Learn to accept and work within your body's limits. I'm a short woman, and my body doesn't need more than about 1200 calories a day to function unless I'm exercising. That's tough, but that's life. Accept the truth that you can't eat as much as you want without suffering the consequences.

(2) Learn to fully enjoy small portions of real food. Eat slowly and fully savor the flavor of high calorie items, so a small portion is more satisfying.

(3) Pay attention to signals of hunger and full (assuming you are not cursed with an always-hungry gene like some of the earlier posters). If you are not physically hungry, you shouldn't be eating. If a yummy food is tempting you, remind yourself that you already know what that food tastes like.

My "authority" is as someone who lost 40 pounds with an intuitive eating program and happily maintained that loss until my next pregnancy. Unfortunately I've had a tough time repeating my experience, so I would not recommend going only to intuitive eating without a sense of calories and appropriate portions. But the psychological attitude changes of intuitive eating were very helpful in curing the attitudes behind gluttony, and maintaining the loss.

I'm not sure I'm in the "permanent" success camp, but I've made a lot of progress in the past 5.5 months.

I, like many of the previous posters, also used food to soothe, numb, entertain myself when I was feeling hurt, sad, or bored. There were several rough marriage patches, major moves away from family and friends, and other major life stresses. I kept telling myself it was time to get serious, to lose the weight, to stop the emotional binging. But I just couldn't really make the change and stick to the eating and exercise plans that I knew would work for me. I read so many books and websites, gathered information, learned about fitness...but it was all just head knowledge while I was seeking comfort in food. Then this past May, I just knew it was time. My MIL died at 60 in March from obesity related problems, my marriage was crumbling (related to MIL dying and my weight). I turned my corner on May 24th.

Like other posters, I have to eat high protein, adequate fat, and low carbs to feel satisfied and keep cravings at bay. I workout *hard*, a friend helps me with workout routines. I've lost 40 lbs so far (give or take) and am about halfway to my dream weight. I feel like this time I'm doing it. This the longest I've stayed on track with eating well and regular exercise. The out of control eating has stopped. I've had a few slip-ups, but in general I feel like I've made the psychological and lifestyle changes that had to happen for success. It also helps that some of the emotional stresses were resolved.

I also stopped seeing food as a reward or an escape. It's proper fuel for my workouts and daily energy. I allow myself a treat if I really, really want something once or twice a week. I try to make myself wait till Saturday or Sunday and then see if I still want whatever I was craving. All or nothing thinking was a binge trigger for me for years. If I feel like one bite of sugar is the kiss of death, I'm likely to spiral out of control if I take that one bite, then indulge since I already screwed up. And THEN it takes me days to get back on track with "start fresh tomorrow" thinking. Once I'd lost the first 30+ lbs the motivation to not regain it was stronger too, so when I've slipped into old habits, I'm quicker to get back on track so I don't lose the ground I've gained.

Jami

I have had a similar experience. I also am an emotional eater and just love to eat! It's my favorite reward, but I also want to eat when I am depressed, sad, bored, or stressed.

I got to the point I was just sick and tired of being fat. The reward of eating wasn't worth it. I have lost 20 pounds but now am pregnant so am waiting until after the baby to aggressively lose weight again. I haven't gained much though and have exercised more with this pregnancy than any other.

I have to limit carbs and eat a lot of protein, veggies, and fruit. The carbs I eat are mostly whole grain or whole foods. If I get started on cookies or chips that sets me on a cycle of cravings that make me want to eat nonstop.

I realized that this area of weakness was something that I could not handle on my own and I have to rely on God's grace that is sufficient in my weakness. I also have a friend that exercises with me in the mornings and keeps me accountable. I cannot do this on my own, but with the help and support of others I can be successful. I think a lot of it is a battle in the mind and replacing negative thoughts that lead me to eat with positive ones that keep me on the right path. Thinking on what is good, and lovely, and true.

I have a question for you! Do you still not really feel full at times? I mean, you make the conscious choice to stop eating and that's the right thing to do. But do you still feel hunger pain and have to just ignore it because you know you've actually eaten enough or...what?

Because I can exercise like a freak, be eating the right amount of calories to NOT starve but still lose weight--nothing drastic--and I still go to bed hungry most nights. :( It's just my life, I guess, and it's depressing! I'm not eating too little and I'm not eating carb-heavy. Whaddya think?

yes, I do feel hungry

I want cereal

I want crunch,

I drink water

I go to sleep and feel starved

I wake up okay

but I am hungry

meal planning! ha ha

I make a package of hamburger patties with my family on Saturday, and I eat those thru the week, we eat alot of chicken

I eat alot of green vegi ('cept peas) and I eat fruit

they eat things with starch I don't

that is my life now...

it isn't the yummy food, but tieing my shoes is a benefit

I have a question for you! Do you still not really feel full at times? I mean, you make the conscious choice to stop eating and that's the right thing to do. But do you still feel hunger pain and have to just ignore it because you know you've actually eaten enough or...what?

Because I can exercise like a freak, be eating the right amount of calories to NOT starve but still lose weight--nothing drastic--and I still go to bed hungry most nights. :( It's just my life, I guess, and it's depressing! I'm not eating too little and I'm not eating carb-heavy. Whaddya think?

I get full alright --- full enough to pop. I'll eat a large meal and drink a TON of a sugary drink also; I stop when I'm very umcomfortable. (now I don't do this with EVERY meal --- but probably once a day, usually at lunch which is my favorite meal. I don't eat breakfast as I'm not hungry in the morning. THen, for example, I'll go to Subway and order a 12 inch Subway and eat about 3/4 of it along with a drink. Yes, I'll be full THEN for sure, but I should've stopped at the 6" mark and at about 20% of the drink I consumed. The first 33% I need, the last 66% I'm just snarfing because it's good and it's there.

And, as for hunger......I rarely feel hunger. The times when I've TRIED to wait on my stomach to growl....it just doesn't seem to EVER occur. If I eat supper say at 6:00pm (which I don't eat much supper either). If I eat supper at 6pm, then go to bed, I wake up NOT hungry. If I WAIT for a growl, it'll be 3 pm before my stomach growls the first time (no joke!). And, if I start eating at this 3pm, my stomach feels gently full after I've eaten about 2 cups of food/drink. So....if I DO this (obey this hunger/fullness), I eat ONCE a day and consume 2 cups of food!

Now how am I supposed to get the NUTRIENTS I need (not worried about energy/calories as that's stuck all over my body) in 2 cups of food!?

So, after 3 days of FORCING myself to do this discipline of eating my once daily (growl) and my 2 little cups, the drive to eat is TOOOOOO strong and I want to pig out --- and I do.

So, don't think I'm a good one to ask, but I responded in case this question was for the OP.

Now the above is my response to your first paragraph.

I don't understand your 2nd paragraph.

Are you saying you do what you wrote in paragraph 2 and you're frustrated that you're not losing weight?

To what are your referring when you say, "It's depressing!"

I thought it was a good thing to feel hunger at bedtime --- as it means you're burning fat and you didn't overeat.

But, I too am confused at these people that feel hungry all day.

I WANT FOOD all day but I don't FEEL PHYSICALLY HUNGRY to correspond to that WANTING if this makes sense.

I eat around noon cause I want to, then again around 4 pm, and that's about it and I'm chunky, so I'm about to try some of these posts and see what happens.

And, as for hunger......I rarely feel hunger. The times when I've TRIED to wait on my stomach to growl....it just doesn't seem to EVER occur. If I eat supper say at 6:00pm (which I don't eat much supper either). If I eat supper at 6pm, then go to bed, I wake up NOT hungry. If I WAIT for a growl, it'll be 3 pm before my stomach growls the first time (no joke!). And, if I start eating at this 3pm, my stomach feels gently full after I've eaten about 2 cups of food/drink .

that's because your body is using all of the extra weight for food. You're losing the weight at that point.

If you want to eat more than two cups, then try eating raw, and then you'll be sure you're getting your nutrients. Or make your portions teeny and you'll be hungry faster.

Can I say I'm in awe of how brave and honest you are? To be so transparent with your struggle? I think you'll make that change.

Thank ya'll so much for this thread. I have been struggling in this area so much lately that I was really starting to get depressed. I was feeling like I might never get control. Since this thread was started, I have stepped away from the pantry and have lost four pounds. I am feeling at peace. Praying for continued strength to overcome what is a serious health and wellbeing issue for me.

Edited by Laurel T.
typos

Thank ya'll so much for this thread. I have been struggling in this area so much lately that I was really starting to get depressed. I was feeling might maybe I would never get control. Since this thread was started, I have stepped away from the pantry and have lost four pounds. I am feeling at peace. Praying for continued strength to overcome was is a serious health and wellbeing issue for me.

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

That's awesome, Laurel!

What worked for me was to eat only meat, eggs, and veggies, making sure to eat enough fat.

Without having read the whole thread, I was going to say the same thing. This is the only way I've ever felt a difference in my desire to keep eating. I fell off the wagon later, but while I was doing this, I felt satisfied. Yes, there was definitely emotional and psychological fallout for 5-6 days, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. The thoughts that went through my head during that week made me feel like a drug addict. But...it worked. And I felt better than I ever have. DH and I are currently trying to get ourselves back on to eating that way.

And for me it has nothing to do with HFCS or white starches. We don't eat those in our house, with just a few occasional exceptions. For me, it's all carbs. I'm hoping to be able to keep fruit in my diet this time around, so we'll see how that goes. But for me, this is the only thing that seems to work.

I'd like to also point out, though, in case no one else has by now, the effects that stress and lack of sleep have on your appetite as well. The cortisol that floods your brain constantly when you're stressed and sleeping poorly keeps your body in constant "fight or flight" mode, so your body wants to keep taking in energy to be prepared for that. You might consider how you can change your lifestyle to reduce your stress and sleep better.