Menu

What are you getting your kids for Xmas...or "what should I get my 8 yo and 5 yo?"

What are your kids requesting for Xmas? What are you getting them?

My 8 yo wants a "real" digital keyboard, sigh ($300 bucks!) and my youngest wants a sewing machine ($$!). They also both want a microscope, Horrible Histories set and a "real" chemistry set...santa2.gifWe are going to focus on 2 nicer (read: more costly) gifts for each of our boys this year, but relatives are asking what less expensive items they want....and really, I don't think they need or want for much...books are always good, but we have such a good library we don't usually ask for books.

I would love to hear what your kids are asking for (or, alternatively, what you're getting them) in a variety of price ranges, and the ages of your kids.

The only kid of mine who would help you is my DS7. I don't think you're looking for disney princess barbie dolls.:lol:

His list includes:

*snap circuits--they have one that makes 20 different rovers that you can drive

*tin can robot--one of those recycled materials kits that makes a robot using a tin can

*binoculars

*eyeclops microscope that works with the TV

*remote control car

That's the list we'll give out, but he won't end up getting everything. For sure the snap circuits, but I don't know about the rest since his other grandparents haven't done their shopping yet. We got him 2 lego sets.

The only kid of mine who would help you is my DS7. I don't think you're looking for disney princess barbie dolls.:lol:

His list includes:

*tin can robot--one of those recycled materials kits that makes a robot using a tin can

*binoculars

*remote control car

That's the list we'll give out, but he won't end up getting everything. For sure the snap circuits, but I don't know about the rest since his other grandparents haven't done their shopping yet. We got him 2 lego sets.

Thank you! I remember him asking for Snap Circuits a while ago, and we have the base set, so an add-on would be a great present.

My 8 yo wants a "real" digital keyboard, sigh ($300 bucks!) and my youngest wants a sewing machine ($$!). They also both want a microscope, Horrible Histories set and a "real" chemistry set...

Holy cow, you just named my 8-yo's list. Except he wants an iPod Touch instead of a keyboard. Little does he know my DH got a fantastic deal on a netbook, so he's getting that instead. That's our BIG gift to him. He is getting a couple of other small things (a set of rocks/info about the rocks because DS is currently into geology and a movie), but that's it. DD5 is getting a bicycle.

I hear you on the books. They're cheap and easy, and my son would LOVE to have all the Horrible Histories, but he doesn't have much more space, and honestly I like to save things like that as rewards for great accomplishments.

Other ideas for family that I am using/have used in the recent past:

*Nerf bullets, assuming you have Nerf guns. My kid goes through those bullets in no time flat, and they get pricey. He gets tired of spending his allowance on them. (I get tired of finding bullets chewed up by cats, but it's a small price to pay for a few years of childhood.)

*Magnets.

*Gift cards. My son loves to have his 'own' money.

*K'Nex

*Legos and snap circuits, as have been mentioned

*Journal

*Small clip-on reading light

*Bookmarks

*Jars, tweezers, pins, and Styrofoam boards for studying bugs (my son is WAY into science)

Other ideas I'm contemplating in the future are models to build (airplanes, rockets, etc.) and rockets. I have no idea what your kiddos are into or what they like or what your family is like, but there's my two cents!

Both my dc really loved watching the How to Train Your Dragon movie and are asking for all things related. Ds5 is really big into Bionicle and Hero Factory at the moment as well.

I just asked and here are the lists they came up with in addition to the above:

DS - Transformers, dinosaurs, army men, Khung Zhu w/armor, Imaginext dragons & vikings, and nerf guns & swords.

DD9 wants more American Girl stuff, new games for her DSlite, ZhuZhu pet stuff, Littlest Pet Shop, and bead jewelry making stuff.

Dd 7--legos, animal pillow ( those soft ones on the commercial that fold up to an animal), chenille blanket, wheelie board, sewing/crochet supplies

Dd 5--wedgit extension set, animal pillow, chenille blanket (my dd's LOVE soft blankets and we're updating the Dora/preschool versions they have) wheelie board, puppets

DD (6): a bunch of American Girl stuff, some books, some movies, and probably some Zoobles since all of her co-op friends are into them and now she wants them too.

DS (7): lots of Legos (mostly Harry Potter), some books (including Horrible Histories), some movies, some Star Wars figures.

I think I'm also getting both kids some Professor Noggin games. They are inexpensive and received great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Professor+noggin&x=0&y=0 Those might be a good gift to suggest to family/friends because they won't break the bank.

My 5 y.o. wants a remote control car and a lightsaber. His older brother likes the Nerf guns/darts. Legos and snap circuits are a big hit with everyone over here. So are books.

So far I've gotten a shape popsicle kit (http://www.amazon.com/Hog-Wild-Idea-Kitchen-Pops/dp/B00169P36K), a coffee mug with a favorite theme, and freeze-dried ice cream (stocking stuffer).

My kids just went through the Toys-R-Us Bog Toy Book and circled every. single. thing.:glare:

I think for a large combo gift our big thing this year will be the PlayMobil Pyramid and a few related sets. I think even though dd is 10 she will play with it every bit as much as he will. I personally think they will flip out over it and it won't fall apart when you look at it like Lego sets do.

They are saving for a Wii, but dh and I are resisting. I guess if they save up enough for it they can have it eventually, but not this Christmas!

Individual gifts (these will be from the grandparents and sibs):

ds 6: Legos, Darth Vader costume, Toy Story 3 movie

dd 10: clothes from Justice, American Girl doll stuff, music

stockings will get some treats, new toothbrushes, small things like Hot Wheels for ds and lip gloss for dd, etc.

My 7.5 yo ds is asking for Legos esp. the Atlantis sets, a baseball bat & glove, a bow & arrow (foam arrows are ok he says), a Kung Zhu pet, and books.

Costco has an excellent Casio digital keyboard for $170 that comes with the stand and bench, I believe. Our former piano teacher recommended it.

We are doing the "something you want, something you need, something you wear, and something to read" thing this year. My boys have requested:

7yo

want - the lego combine and lego tractor

need - feet PJs (he would honestly live in these) and slippers

wear - they know I already purchased something and have not put in a request

read - the How to Train Your Dragon box set and a new Bible

10yo

want - Red Ryder BB Gun

need - feet PJs and slippers as well

wear - see above

read - The Boys Book of Survival

Krista

His list includes:

*binoculars

*remote control car

The Eyeclops looks cool, but in reality it is pretty bad. I bought it last year and the resolution is horrible. The boys experimented with it maybe 5 times and it is sitting in a box now.

I have boys ages 7 and 11

Nerf guns and bullets. The entire neighborhood stages huge nerf wars.

Skateboards for both of them.

Shoes....they always need shoes

A chess set

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Q1IO4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

PJ's, Socks, and Underwear

Santa also gives them electronic toothbrushes in their stockings, a couple of small toys like teck decks or Bakugans, and a couple of passes, either to the movie theater, or somewhere else fun.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

My boys want:

Legos (Star Wars mainly)

Star Wars figures

Air Hogs remote control helicoptors

A Chess Set

Animal Planet toys

Nerf Guns

DS Games

The Eyeclops looks cool, but in reality it is pretty bad. I bought it last year and the resolution is horrible. The boys experimented with it maybe 5 times and it is sitting in a box now.

Same experience here except we couldn't get it to work after a few tries :glare:.

Love this thread! Ds8 wants the game Mindflex.....he really has visions of becoming a Jedi I believe :lol:. He asked for it last year too *sigh* but I still think it is a ridiculous price.

ANy recs on a good starter set for snap circuits? They look fun!

DD has both a birthday and Christmas close together. For her birthday, she's getting her party and her American Girl doll.

For Christmas, she's gettting

More AG stuff

Books

Art supplies, especially blank journals for her to write her own books

Legos, lots of legos

Toy Story 3 and How to Train your Dragon DVDs

Did I mention books?

She wants a snake or a lizard (a pet). I don't think that's going to happen :).

My 9 and 5 yo boys want:

The horrible histories as well (will order through Ray this time 20% off & free ship)

5yo loved the TICO Batman from his bday so some more of that - bigger interlocking pieces

9yo wants an ipod and music this year.

Family needs a keyboard after ours broke, have been scouring Craigslist for a deal.

Buying more "outdoor" toys this year - thinking a tennis net and skates/hockey gear.

9yo wants the motorized Razor scooter (all the rage with neighborhood kids)

9yo would like another foam practice (surf) board. ((eyeroll))Think we'll put that to more swim lessons

9yo wants Cologne!!!! :001_huh:

Lots of board games.

7yo DD wants the entire Magic Cabin catalog. :glare:

We bought an Eyeclops a few years ago. Every once in a while the boys get it out. Ours works great. It is a little tricky in that you have to hold it directly on the object at just the right angle to get a clear picture.

My ds8 wants a laptop. Luckily my brother replaced his a couple of years ago and he is giving us his old one.

My ds6 wants a skateboard.

My 7 year olds list:

Stampede Nerf Gun

Extra nerf bullets

Halo legos

Books

Board Games

Boxing Gloves

New Tennis Shoes

Itouch

Itouch case

Socks and Boxers

I will send some to Grandpa and we will probably get the rest since it is really a pretty cheap list.

My 4 year old:

Pillow Pet

itouch

Bike

Books

Yellow Lab

She will probably get everything too.

I won't post the older 2's- they are not quite as cheap and easy!

DS8 wants:

Razor scooter

Nerf stampede gun

Pyramid Legos game

Sorry Spin

Loopz Memory Game

Mononopoly, Boy Scouts version

"Diary of a Wimpy Kid" movie

That Jedi "move stuff with your mind" thing

Learn to draw Clone Wars characters book

DS18:

camping gear (especially with our recent burglary)

Monopoly UBuild

DD4:

Scooter (Hello Kitty or Princess of course)

Rapunzel doll

Stuffed Hello Kitty.... actually anything Hello Kitty

Squinkies play set

"Beauty and the Beast" movie

My Christmas budget it going for the down payment on a furnace. Nothing under the tree, but we won't be frozen. Yay. :glare:
:grouphug:

My 7 year olds list:

Stampede Nerf Gun

Extra nerf bullets

Halo legos

Books

Board Games

Boxing Gloves

New Tennis Shoes

Itouch

Itouch case

Socks and Boxers

I will send some to Grandpa and we will probably get the rest since it is really a pretty cheap list.

My 4 year old:

Pillow Pet

itouch

Bike

Books

Yellow Lab

She will probably get everything too.

I won't post the older 2's- they are not quite as cheap and easy!

Is it me? That doesn't sound cheap at all. My dd's iTouch was $150, refurbished. That's for each kid?:001_huh: But I guess those are the "big" ticket things on each kids list. But a yellow lab? :D That sounds like my daughter's list. Sneak a new pet on there to see if the idea will fly.;)

All three of my boys (9, 7, and then 5) are getting crocheted Totoro hats from Etsy (they requested them). They're also getting a kitten, which they don't know about, which means that all other presents will go largely unnoticed in the enormous excitement (although they're not actually getting the kitten until after Christmas, but they'll find out about it).

Other stuff:

Harry Potter legos

Lego Creationary

stuffed Totoro for DS5

I think I'll ask my mom to get them Epic Mickey for the Wii

books (DS9 loves Do Not Open and Pick Me Up, so I'm thinking another one by the same people)

DS wants an iPad :lol: :lol:. So far I have found some fun books, two new light sabers (after Halloween sale :hurray:), and three card games. His big present will probably be the Imaginext Dragon Castle. He has the the Fire Station and plays with it for hours without me involved. :D He is all into dragons and castles so this will probably round out his gifts.

We've told our children that we're getting them each a book for Christmas. Finances are tight, and in-laws have bought us all tickets to fly and visit them. That will be our "present". There will be gifts from family members, but from us. . . just the joy of vacation.

I bought my husband his gift this morning. Today's shirt.woot offering. :)

T.

:grouphug:

Is it me? That doesn't sound cheap at all. My dd's iTouch was $150, refurbished. That's for each kid?:001_huh: But I guess those are the "big" ticket things on each kids list. But a yellow lab? :D That sounds like my daughter's list. Sneak a new pet on there to see if the idea will fly.;)

Well they are not getting a yellow lab as we just got a black one- but other then the itouchs the lists are pretty cheap especially since Grandpa is getting the nerf guns.

DS wants an iPad :lol: :lol:. So far I have found some fun books, two new light sabers (after Halloween sale :hurray:), and three card games. His big present will probably be the Imaginext Dragon Castle. He has the the Fire Station and plays with it for hours without me involved. :D He is all into dragons and castles so this will probably round out his gifts.

My son just got the fire station for his birthday in August and LOVES it.

Are there accessories to get with this?

I'm still trying to figure out what Christmas will be.

Already got:

Discovery Toys Marbleworks

48-pc wood puzzle and 32-pc regular boxed puzzle

a Sing-a-ma-jig

new toothbrush

hand puppets (Costco)

Signing time vol. 4-6

Going to get:

fabric food from IKEA

Maybe their put-it-together yourself trucks?

Cranium Hullabaloo (Since I can get it for $15 this week from Toys R us)

jelly beans

On list to send to relatives (still trying to pare this down. I feel very unfocused!):

tea set

cash register (which one?)

cook top playstove -- Maybe? Need more food, utensils, pots though with this

garage? -- I kind of feel the marbleworks fulfills the same niche

wood blocks (citiblocs?)

Lauri Puzzle Kids

Lauri Fit-a-space

Lauri lowercase lace and link letters

Hat Stackers Party game

Books:

Swim! Swim! by Lerch

Dr.seuss's full size Foot Book, Green Eggs and Ham, Mr. Brown Can Moo

Leapster Explorer

Signing Time DVDs (Season 1, vol 1-3 and 7)

Toy Story 3 DVD

Beethoven's Wig CDs

I'm hoping to follow that little rhyme I heard here:

Something you want: tickets to see the Harry Potter exhibit at the local science center

Something you need: an outfit each

Something to play with: SIMS3 (10yo), Legos (8yo), Bike (3yo)

Something to read: have no idea. We use the library instead of collecting books so I might get them an outside toy to share, like a tether ball set, instead.

It kind of depends on how much money DH makes and if we can afford it. We got the Harry Potter tickets already because they were selling out and it is high on their list.

I'm hoping to follow that little rhyme I heard here:

Something you want: tickets to see the Harry Potter exhibit at the local science center

Something you need: an outfit each

Something to play with: SIMS3 (10yo), Legos (8yo), Bike (3yo)

Something to read: have no idea. We use the library instead of collecting books so I might get them an outside toy to share, like a tether ball set, instead.

It kind of depends on how much money DH makes and if we can afford it. We got the Harry Potter tickets already because they were selling out and it is high on their list.

If it's the same Harry Potter exhibit that came to the Boston Museum of Science last year, you guys will LOVE it!!!!! We went to Universal recently and although we enjoyed the scale of Universal, we enjoyed the content of the exhibit so much more. Have fun!