Menu

Grammatical Errors - Pet Peeve

i hate when someone is acting like a snotty know it all in a thread, but consistently spells words wrong (definAtely, eCT, grammEr). it doesn't bother me terribly, only if they're being stinky.

ETA...i'm totally guilty of typing like i talk....lots of run-on sentences, no structure, no caps, etc.

The one I'm personally guilty of <-------HAHA!!!!:lol: is using prepositions incorrectly.

I think I read somewhere that it is allowable as most people no longer say, "of which I am guilty."

I think I have to agree with another poster, it is when someone is know it all but spells things wrong. Which is why I will never act like a know it all here. :tongue_smilie:

IRL where no one sees my spelling absulutely. :D

Verbally: when people use "conversate" and "irregardless." I've been known to physically cringe when I hear those words.

Written: Any kind of errors when the tone of the correspondence is holier than thou. If someone is going to act like they know more than I do, then they had better use proper spelling, punctuation and grammar. Also "curriculums" (or "cirriculums"). I know it's easy to confuse, but the proper plural is "curricula."

"One of the only" bothers me, and I'm hearing it more and more, especially in advertisements. Either it's The Only, or it's "one of the few". If you don't want to make the Only claim, then go with "one of the few", otherwise it sounds like you just didn't want to bother doing the research.

Also, loose = not tight, lose = can't find it.

I am of course guilty of several of the other pet peeves listed by previous posters; no one is perfect!

I keep writing this in threads, but I know I'll never make a dent in the world:

It isn't a myriad of, it is myriad. Period.

As in "I see myriad colors.

"Professional" writers don't even use it correctly.

a

The kids in AP English at my high school were taught to use "a myriad of." The kids in my class (TAG AP) were taught to use "myriad." I have never been able to fathom why.

My husband and two of my children are dyslexic. I no longer pass judgement or let it bother me.

It does bother me if people who get paid to write do not use the language correctly. A dyslexic journalist or writer should use spell check or an editor. IMO, there is no excuse for grammar or spelling mistakes in professional writing.

"One of the only" bothers me, and I'm hearing it more and more, especially in advertisements. Either it's The Only, or it's "one of the few". If you don't want to make the Only claim, then go with "one of the few", otherwise it sounds like you just didn't want to bother doing the research.

Whoa. I think I do this. You mean something like, "One of the only things in this world that can walk and talk is..." or "One of the only things better than chocolate is..."?

Thanks for pointing it out - I have never really thought about it before. I get smarter and smarter every time one of these threads comes along.

a

According to the Unabridged Webster's Third New International Dictionary, it is correct to use myriad with a and of, as in, "a myriad of mathematical possiblities."

It's also correct to say, "I see myriad colors."

Myriad can be used as a noun or an adjective.

Alot of things make me cringe, but the only one I correct is the misuse of pronouns:

"Bob and me went to the store" I explain to my kids (and my mom who is horrible and this) that "me" didn't go to the store "I" did. Just pretend there is only one person doing the action and you will get it right.

"Bob and her ate dinner" - "her" didn't eat dinner, "she" did.

Even worse, "Her and Bob ate dinner" - shiver.

Whoa. I think I do this. You mean something like, "One of the only things in this world that can walk and talk is..." or "One of the only things better than chocolate is..."?

Your examples wouldn't bug me as much as some others. For me, it's most annoying in advertising, like "Jones Cancer Center is one of the only hospitals in the tri-state area to specialize in elbow cancer." If they're the only one, say so. If you know there are others, then go with "one of the few". If you actually have no clue how many elbow cancer centers there are, then rephrase entirely!

I get smarter and smarter every time one of these threads comes along.

:iagree:

Alot of things make me cringe, but the only one I correct is the misuse of pronouns:

"Bob and me went to the store" I explain to my kids (and my mom who is horrible and this) that "me" didn't go to the store "I" did. Just pretend there is only one person doing the action and you will get it right.

"Bob and her ate dinner" - "her" didn't eat dinner, "she" did.

Even worse, "Her and Bob ate dinner" - shiver.

Even worse yet: "myself."

"Myself and Bob ate dinner." :ack2:

Alot of things make me cringe

For me, it's when people write "alot," which is not a word. :rofl::001_unsure:

Not really, though. My husband is the anti-grammarian. He's the poster boy for adult-evidenced dyslexia. i've gotten pretty tolerant.

There are a few that scream off the page to me. They're/there/their and your/you're, although I'm sure I typo them sometimes if I'm not paying attention. Affect/effect I notice. And I truly can hardly bear it when someone says, "I could care less." Just listen to yourselves, people! :D

The one my mom hates is "so unique". Claims mom, "Unique is unique - it has no modifier. It mean's one-of-a-kind. Either it's one-of-a-kind, or it's not."

For me, it's when people write "alot," which is not a word. :rofl::001_unsure:

Not really, though. My husband is the anti-grammarian. He's the poster boy for adult-evidenced dyslexia. i've gotten pretty tolerant.

There are a few that scream off the page to me. They're/there/their and your/you're, although I'm sure I typo them sometimes if I'm not paying attention. Affect/effect I notice. And I truly can hardly bear it when someone says, "I could care less." Just listen to yourselves, people! :D

The one my mom hates is "so unique". Claims mom, "Unique is unique - it has no modifier. It mean's one-of-a-kind. Either it's one-of-a-kind, or it's not."

I actually got into trouble in 3rd grade because my teacher corrected my paper to say "alot" instead of "a lot" and I argued with her. I pushed back a little too hard. :D (I was really mad because she marked something wrong on my paper. My Dad didn't accept less than an *A* on anything, so I was a little defensive about my work. :001_huh:)

My dh sometimes asks "can I get a glass of water?" when he means "can I have a glass of water?" or "will you please get me a glass of water?" I don't mind getting whatever it is, but at least ask me correctly! ;)

When I used to waitress and a customer would stop me and ask, "Can I get a glass of water?" I'd motion for them to stay seated and say, "No, you stay here, I'll get it for you." :D

No tips from the ill-humoured guests. :glare:

a

Not necessarily:

A myriad of misconceptions (Well, just one, really)

and

Webster's Myriad used as a Noun

I happen to prefer the noun form in a sentence. It trips off the tongue.

My dh sometimes asks "can I get a glass of water?" when he means "can I have a glass of water?" or "will you please get me a glass of water?" I don't mind getting whatever it is, but at least ask me correctly! ;)

Yeah this one always sounds to me like, "Do my bidding, Woman," rather than, "Would you mind doing me a favor?" Is your husband in management? That's where mine gets it from. I have to remind him from time to time that he married me; he didn't hire me :tongue_smilie:

According to the Unabridged Webster's Third New International Dictionary, it is correct to use myriad with a and of, as in, "a myriad of mathematical possiblities."

Webster's is clearly wrong!

No, actually, I was disappointed to learn "myriad of" was not only acceptable, but the older of the two forms, as I always enjoyed correcting people on that one. :)

I hate "these ones" and "those ones" for the same reason. That one is perfectly acceptable because you are denoting a specific one out of many similar or similarly placed objects. But those or these are a group that needs no further modifier.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

LOL, how did you beat me?? I totally looked before I posted.

When I used to waitress and a customer would stop me and ask, "Can I get a glass of water?" I'd motion for them to stay seated and say, "No, you stay here, I'll get it for you." :D

No tips from the ill-humoured guests. :glare:

I'm quoting myself to point out another of my pet peeves - mixing singular "a customer" with plural "them."

I hate that. And I did it anyway.

Oh, I forgot this one: When comparing someone: "He's faster than anyone I know." Well, ok, then. You know *him.* Properly, it's "He's faster than anyone *else* I know."

Goodness. I learned that in fifth grade. :glare:

I'm guilty of this one. I"ll admit I still don't see why it's wrong.

:leaving:

I just thought of another one. Using "amount" instead of "number" when talking about countable objects. There isn't a large amount of stars visible tonight; there is a large number of stars. Amount is for collectives you can't count like orange juice, money or sadness. Number is for things you can count like glasses of orange juice, coins or different types of emotions. I will say though that I only learned of this teaching 7th grade grammar. Now that I'm aware of it, however, I see the mistake everywhere! I think it has to do with how math word problems are worded in every elementary curriculum. Why do they insist on comparing the amount of cookies instead of the number of cookies :confused:

Barb

Not necessarily:

A myriad of misconceptions (Well, just one, really)

and

Webster's Myriad used as a Noun

I happen to prefer the noun form in a sentence. It trips off the tongue.

See, in Aspie logic, it works this way - if you're using myriad as a noun, and the rule is "you can put a _____ of" you should be able to interchange it with its noun definitions:

ten thousand --> a ten thousand of --> a myriad of

a great number of --> a myriad of

It works for "a great number of", but there is no such animal as "a ten thousand of."

I guess I look at it differently than the majority.

a

Regarding English, I have no other choice but to be very tolerant, being that I myself butcher the language quite often and I might not even be aware of some nuances.

Italian, though, is a different story. :D

In both languages, however, one of my pet peeves is "alternative" used in plural. Alter means "the other of the two", not just any other. You cannot have multiple alternatives - you can have multiple options, but you can speak of an alternative only in cases in which you have two options and one is the alternative for the other one.

Also, "optimal" is already a superlative. There is no such thing as "less/more/most optimal solution", there is only THE optimal, meaning the best.

The plural of curriculum is curricula, even if some grammars allow the "anglicizing" of the plural by adding -S.

I also don't understand confusing it's/its (other than as a typo due to the speed of writing). When it's "it is", it's written with an apostrophe, when it's possessive, it's written without it.

The only time grammatical errors annoy me is when they are coming from instructors I've paid for (i.e. the private school we used before homeschooling) or from attorneys that I've employed. In both cases I assume there should be a basic competency in their communication. Unfortunately, the results have been a little disturbing.

The one that makes me giggle is when people use defiantly instead of definitely. It completely changes the meaning of the sentence. "We are defiantly using LOF this year." I always think, "I am so sorry you are being forced into it." :lol:

I betcha I'm guilty of that. I can't remember how to spell definitely so if the spell checker gives me a suggestion of defiantly I've probably clicked it while in a hurry. :D

Thaw and unthaw. If you take something out of the freezer, you are thawing it. More often than not I hear that people need to "unthaw" something for dinner. That one gets to me.

I've never heard that one. Hopefully if I ever do I'll be able to school my expression so as not to :001_huh::glare:.