Menu

Do your kids eat tuna salad?

Do your kids eat tuna salad?  

1. 1. Do your kids eat tuna salad?

• Yes! They love it!
    • Eh. They could take it or leave it.
    • No way.
    • Ew! *I* can't stand tuna--WHY would I feed it to my darling children????

We all love it tuna sandwiches, tuna casserole, tuna melts.:D Though everyone under 8 will only eat it if there is only mayo mixed in no pickles or relish. The rest of us do like pickles, relish and/or onions thrown in. Now I want to make tuna melts for dinner.:D One of my daughters asks for tuna everyday but I'll only make it a couple times a week. We eat all other types of fish too.:)

eta- We don't call it tuna salad though. That makes me think of a cold pasta salad with tuna or something involving lettuce but if you prepare chicken or boiled eggs the same way and make a sandwich I would call that a _____ salad sandwich. I guess it's the word sandwich on the end that makes the difference for me.

Also real mayo only please.;)

Edited by Happyhomemama
added thought

Our entire family loves it! I've had it many different ways. Plain tuna and miracle whip, with relish, with apples, and with raisins. My husband grew up with it using mayo (blech! can't stand the stuff!). He thinks I'm gross, because I eat my sandwich with a slice of American cheese...and so do the kids ;)

As a kid, it was a treat. We only got it when stepdad went TDY. He could not stomach tuna. Mama couldn't cook. So TDY time was full of pop tarts, tuna sandwiches, tuna helper, and McD's.

Tuna is a strange food for me. I grew up eating it. My grandmother used to invite all her friends over and buy a truckload of albacore and can her own. I kid you not. I have fond memories of her and her cronies with these HUGE fish, gutting them out back and making a million little jars of tuna. Because of this I grew up eating it. Still prefer the white meat Albacore to regular tuna. But it has to be in the old school mayo/egg/relish mixture. Plain on salad or something, no way. Thing is, I don't eat seafood. Can't stand any of it. But tuna salad like my mom used to make with my grandma's home-canned albacore, that I can do.:tongue_smilie:

My kids voted "eh, take it or leave it".

I would eat it when I was little but hadn't in many years. I recently decided to buy a can and give it a try. It was vile. I couldn't get past the smell. I promptly threw it in the trash and vowed never to purchase tuna again. my dh doesn't like any sea food at all so he won't complain. I have actually just gotten to the point over the last couple years where I can eat some fish but canned tuna is not on the list.

I don't have/make tuna helper, but anything w/ the word "creamed" in it hits my gag reflex. :lol: Sorry!

Made from scratch, it is just a white sauce with tuna. Good homemade mac and cheese is just white sauce with cheese in it. Ditto alfredo.

You might be surprised. It is NOTHING like canned cream soups.

Made from scratch, it is just a white sauce with tuna. Good homemade mac and cheese is just white sauce with cheese in it. Ditto alfredo.

I don't eat white sauce. Canned cream soup as an ingredient has been fine, & I'm replacing those w/ homemade (healthier) white sauces now, but alfredo, for ex, BLECH!

I don't eat Ranch dressing, either. Or sour cream. I seem to have a problem with white sauces in general! :001_huh:

I was the same with watermelon for years. Got food poisoning, believe it or not, from one.

Watermelon flavor is my *favorite.* Watermelons themselves I liked ok until I found some good smoothie recipes--now I love them.

BUT...when I was pg w/ #1, watermelon tasted like SOUR MILK. :tongue_smilie:

eta- We don't call it tuna salad though. That makes me think of a cold pasta salad with tuna or something involving lettuce but if you prepare chicken or boiled eggs the same way and make a sandwich I would call that a _____ salad sandwich. I guess it's the word sandwich on the end that makes the difference for me.

I was afraid if I said "tuna" the foodies here would think I meant a fresh fillet that you could smoke or cook on the grill or whatever one does w/ that stuff. *That* is delicious. Not to be confused w/ the canned stuff to which one adds pickle relish, some form of mayo, etc. ;)

This is my ultimate having a really bad day and need something comforting but quick to make meal - creamed tuna with rice and green beans on the side.