Menu

Another baby name thread. . .

My husband and I are considering the name Monet for our baby girl. How would you pronounce it if you only saw it spelled? What pronunciation first comes to mind? We want to name her after the famous artist Claude Monet and pronounce it the French way Mon-ay, but we are afraid people will call her Mon-ett. We are especially fearful of this because we live an hour away from a town called Monett (which is pronounced Mo-nett). It is one of the few names we both like however. What does the hive think?

I like the name, and I think most people would pronounce it like the artist, as he is well known.

I named my oldest son Truffaut after the French movie director Francois Truffaut. Some people know how to pronounce his name and some don't. My son doesn't mind correcting people about it. :)

Just so people know, and to answer the question of a previous poster, we do not really have a second choice. My husband and I consistently disagree on most every name. This is our sixth daughter, and we've always liked such different names that it is amazing our current children have names at all! :tongue_smilie: I like Claudia, but my husband hates it. We have some other names on our list, but they are mostly full of names I really like, and he only tolerates, or he really likes, and I might be able to tolerate. Neither of us really want to "tolerate" the name of our child! Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts so far!

i honestly think it's a beautiful name! i would assume it was pronounced like the artist.

i like unusual names though. our original choice for my daughter's name was agnes dei, and we were going to call her dei for short (pronounced day). we made the mistake of telling people & they hated it! they kept sharing their opinions with us. my husband was swayed by their hate and i finally caved. my son would have been iris if he were a girl.

i say don't tell anyone & stick with what you love!

Neither of us really want to "tolerate" the name of our child! Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts so far!

My dh was not a fan of either of our girls' names before they were born. For him, accepting dd2's name (Shelby) was the most difficult. In his mind it was a boy's name and reminded him of a Mustang. But now he loves both girls' names. When he hears the name Shelby not spoken towards our daughter, he no longer thinks of a car, but instead of his little girl.

All that to say, sometimes it isn't just tolerating, but a name grows on you and you begin to associate the name with the child instead.

Personally, I would pronounce Monet like the artist and if that is the name the two of you decide on, it'll be fine. However, I agree with some pp that it will probably be mispronounced.

I would pronounce it like the artist. But you do realize that on this board most people probably would. I'm sure there are people (not on this board) who would mispronounce it and would not know about the artist.

Exactly.

And I think there's also some potential for being teased there, for your daughter growing up, given a name that's unusual, hard to pronounce, sounds like mo-nay, and is named after a male (his last name no less) and so on and so forth. I know neither of you should have to "tolerate" your baby's name, but then again, you should consider what said child will have to "tolerate" growing up when naming it, generally speaking, I think.

My dh was not a fan of either of our girls' names before they were born. For him, accepting dd2's name (Shelby) was the most difficult. In his mind it was a boy's name and reminded him of a Mustang. But now he loves both girls' names. When he hears the name Shelby not spoken towards our daughter, he no longer thinks of a car, but instead of his little girl.

All that to say, sometimes it isn't just tolerating, but a name grows on you and you begin to associate the name with the child instead.

Personally, I would pronounce Monet like the artist and if that is the name the two of you decide on, it'll be fine. However, I agree with some pp that it will probably be mispronounced.

I used to tutor a little girl named Shelby. She was named after the car.:auto:

well - i said 'muh-net' in my head until i saw your fourth sentence. ;)

my mother has a friend with that name ~ said that way, i mean. it's spelled a bit diff.. i think there's two t's and an e on the end....

the reason i'm telling you this is because you said there was a town nearby with a similar looking name but diff pronunciation... and i bet that a lot of people (even if they've heard of the artist) will think of that first... i've heard of the artist and i still thought 'muh-net' because i'm MORE familiar with my mother's friend. know what i mean?

However, I agree with some pp that it will probably be mispronounced.

:iagree: too.

My middle daughter has a name that my husband and I thought and still think is lovely (Cecily), but it is constantly mispronounced by people just reading it for the first time or just meeting her (she gets "Sicily" a lot, like the island). She doesn't care at all, but it bothers me. So I guess the question might be, "Will mispronunciation bother you and DH?"

I would pronounce it correctly, as would my family and most of our homeschooling friends but we've all studied some art with history and we've also taken trips to the Detroit Institute of Arts so these families have been exposed to the name. I hate to tell you but I live in back-woods, backward living USA and most of the neighbors would say, ma (short o sound) nett (short e). They'd probably follow that up with, "Is that kind o' like Annette with an O?"

I've lived rural and cultured before, the gentleman farmer discussion comes to mind, but this place is HICK!

I think that it would be pretty if you femininized the his first name and made it "Claudia" and then used "Monet" as her second name. That way her first name won't be mispronounced but when everyone asks "What's her middle name?" You'd have a chance to set the record straight.

Faith

Well, I think your five daughters' names are so pretty, and what fun it is to think of more names! (I have three girls and I had about 738 names chosen each time, though we never knew their genders before they were born....)

Honestly, I think if your dh and you agree on a name and your heart is in it, use it. You'll have to correct people sometimes, but that's true of so many names. Go with what you're drawn to.

Congratulations!

I would pronounce it like the artist, because, well, I know about Claude Monet AND I know someone who has a 25 year old daughter named Monet.

I am typically not a fan of unusual names, however, I love the name Monet :001_wub:. It really suits our friend's daughter. She ended up traveling the world, marrying in India, and lives in Australia. Very artsy and free spirited.

:iagree: too.

My middle daughter has a name that my husband and I thought and still think is lovely (Cecily), but it is constantly mispronounced by people just reading it for the first time or just meeting her (she gets "Sicily" a lot, like the island). She doesn't care at all, but it bothers me. So I guess the question might be, "Will mispronunciation bother you and DH?"

How on earth would you pronouce that other than "sicily"? I have wracked my brain trying to figure it out and I just can't.....I keep going back to phonetic pronunciation: Sicily. Please advise! :confused:

I think it would be a wonderful name. I agree some people would mispronounce it, but that can happen with lots of names. My dd is named Abra (long a - like Abraham without the ham). Meeting new people she most often gets called Abra with a short a (abracadabra - no). We correct them and move on. I wouldn't worry about the mispronunciations.

But then I am a HUGE fan of Monet.

To the OP: No, I would not use that name. Most people in your area will mis-pronounce it (due to the town close to you) and a lot of kids seem to resent being saddled with a name that few can pronounce/spell/understand. When I first came to this board there was a discussion like this. A mom who named her daughter Ceilighd (I know the spelling is probably wrong) was miffed that people didn't realize that the name is pronounced "Kaylee". :confused:

(The name is a traditional Scottish name. I get it. I have Scottish heritage, too, but I wouldn't expect a bunch of people IN AMERICA to somehow know that, kwim?)

And I love Monet, but.....no.

Honestly, I think if your dh and you agree on a name and your heart is in it, use it. You'll have to correct people sometimes, but that's true of so many names. Go with what you're drawn to.

:iagree:Our family didn't like our choice for our daughter "Haven" but now they all love it. I'm so glad we stuck with our choice and ignored the comments because her name fits her perfectly.

How on earth would you pronouce that other than "sicily"? I have wracked my brain trying to figure it out and I just can't.....I keep going back to phonetic pronunciation: Sicily. Please advise! :confused:

It's a short "e" on the first syllable, not an "i"--so it's pronounced "sess-i-lee". It's actually a very old-fashioned name more popular in Great Britain, or so I'm told. Oscar Wilde used it in "The Importance of Being Earnest": Miss Cecily Cardew. HTH! :001_smile: Now you can see our problem: beautiful name; tricky pronunciation!

I haven't learned my lesson, though, because if we had had another girl, we would have used another old-fashioned British name: Bryony. How's that for tricky!! :tongue_smilie:

So, that's why I was asking the OP if it would bother her personally if people got it wrong. If it's a name you love, maybe it doesn't really matter. . .

Edited by Rene Austen
misspelling!

I would pronounce it properly, assuming it was related to the artist - however, I dislike the name. In spite of the artistic connotations (which are not even necessarily a good thing... like somebody said, there is something slightly pretentious about it), I can't avoid a slightly "monetary" feeling to me, and that's not the association I'd like with my children's names.

I'm also in favor of more traditional, less "experimental" names.

But, at the end of the day, it's your choice - and it's important that you choose the name you like. :)

I knew someone who gave their daughter the middle name Monet. I thought it was beautiful. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of names that the majority won't pronounce right or spell right if they take a wild guess, but if I really loved Monet and my dh was on board too, perhaps I would just go with it.

BTW, I love Claude Monet's work.

Well, we decided to go with Monet for a middle name. My husband decided he liked one of my initial choices of Cosette. So Cosette Monet it is. . .thanks for your input!

LOVE it!! As in Cosette from Les Mis? My daughter's middle name is Colette. It is the name I've had picked out for a decade... just waiting to use it!

Hmmm... What's your second choice?

I'm about as big a fan of Claude Monet as I am Jimmy Buffett. I've got Monet prints in every room of the house. But (gently) I wouldn't name a child after his last name.

How about Claudia?

You scared me Chucki, I thought you were going to say you didn't like Monet or Jimmy Buffet. Then I couldn't be your friend anymore. :lol:

OP- What about Claudette w/ Monet as a middle name? I too love Monet, but w/ everything you said about the town, I would think it would be pronounced wrong. Sorry.