Menu

DH was Tased yesterday (on purpose!)

Officer Daddyman took the training and certification course for carrying a Taser yesterday. Department policy is that the officer must be Tased him/herself in order to carry the Taser.

Daddyman is a *tough* dude, but he says this was the most intense pain he's ever experienced. He says, "I think I was trying to crawl away from my own leg to stop the pain." He insists he only made "deep, manly screams."

However, the result of this is that he's buying me a civilian-legal Taser, because he is now firmly convinced that it is a VERY effective method of stopping an attack. I'm getting the pink one.

My sister went through that as well, and said it was easily the worst pain she has ever felt. Her Captain said it was akin to being hit in the back with a sledgehammer. Being tased does seem to have served the purpose that her department is very conservative in using it on others. I'm sorry your husband had to endure it too.

My bil did the mace, pepper spray and taser all in the same week. It was a bad week!

Yeah, Daddyman says that if he had to choose, he'd rather be Tased than sprayed w/ the OC spray, because the Taser hurt worse, but was over quickly, while the OC spray pain went on and on.

wow you can just buy those there? they're illegal here ~ only cops can have them. (and there's a LOT of controversy here about whether they should be used at all)

i'm curious.. why the policy? do they also have to get hit with a night stick & shot? :tongue_smilie: (kidding obviously - but you get my point)

wow you can just buy those there? they're illegal here ~ only cops can have them. (and there's a LOT of controversy here about whether they should be used at all)

i'm curious.. why the policy? do they also have to get hit with a night stick & shot? :tongue_smilie: (kidding obviously - but you get my point)

Tasers and OC spray are non-lethal, so it's "not analogous" (says DH) to getting shot to feel what being shot feels like.

There are several sound reasons for the department's policy:

1. An officer needs to understand how completely a Taser incapacitates someone, because if someone comes at the officer w/ a Taser, the officer needs to be prepared to use lethal force to stop him. A criminal who Tases an officer will have access to the officer's gun and other tools.

2. The officer needs to be able to have that mental understanding of "if I do get Tased, I won't die" so that he can recover quickly when the Tasing is over. He needs to understand that the pain DOES end and that he CAN get up again.

3. From a CYA legal standpoing, lawyers are fond of the, "How would YOU know how [my client] felt? Have YOU ever been Tased?" approach during trials -- now all this department's officers can say "Yes" to that.

And regarding the OC spray, the officer needs to be able to still do his job, even if he gets sprayed in the face. Training includes delivering baton blow and other strikes after being sprayed.

Tasers are legal (for civilians) in 43 US states (just looked it up lol)...and not legal in mine.

I swear I sometimes want to put one in my oldest dd's backpack, so I am not saying Hell No Never. ;) But if you used it on someone and the person died (as has happened) could you be charged with manslaughter?

Taser-related deaths are almost always linked to use of certain illegal drugs. Being Tased while on PCP may kill you under extremely rare circumstances. Being Tased while healthy, hale? Not gonna happen.

They could charge you, I suppose, but all you have to do is establish self-defense.

Officer Daddyman took the training and certification course for carrying a Taser yesterday. Department policy is that the officer must be Tased him/herself in order to carry the Taser.

Daddyman is a *tough* dude, but he says this was the most intense pain he's ever experienced. He says, "I think I was trying to crawl away from my own leg to stop the pain." He insists he only made "deep, manly screams."

DH volunteered to do this a couple of years ago. It is not mandatory for all in his dept to have it done. They just have to watch someone else get it done (and record it on their cell phone cameras :lol::lol::lol:)

He said childbirth has nothing on the pain.:lol:

The 'deep, manly screams'.... :lol:

I usually am annoyed by all the email forwards that come in my mail box, but I laughed like crazy when I read the one about the guy who wanted to try out the Taser he had just bought for his wife. He figured that the cute little device with only 2 AAA batteries couldn't to TOO much damage...

Taser-related deaths are almost always linked to use of certain illegal drugs. Being Tased while on PCP may kill you under extremely rare circumstances. Being Tased while healthy, hale? Not gonna happen.

They could charge you, I suppose, but all you have to do is establish self-defense.

Robert Dziekanski --- this is one of the most well known taser-related deaths that occurred in canada.

taser-related deaths in canada 2003-present --- yes, some of those people had drugs in their system - some, not all.

tasers can - and have - killed "healthy" people. that's why their use is so controversial up here....

)

Only police have theme here as well. they have only had them for a few months, and already the police have killed two people with them. Very controversial here.

I'd rather the police carry tasers than guns. I'm sure the death rate from being tased is much lower than from being shot. And it works much quicker than sticks and clubs.

I agree. Although I must say, that if I have to Taz someone, THEIR health is the last thing on my mind. It isn't like you are going to just taz random people.

I'd rather the police carry tasers than guns. I'm sure the death rate from being tased is much lower than from being shot. And it works much quicker than sticks and clubs.

yeah but the thing is - guns are fired when the use of (potentially) DEADLY force is required. tasers are *supposed to be* a non-lethal weapon that can be used in situations where deadly force is NOT appropriate. ie, where the cops would have used pepper spray, physical restraint, etc etc ...yet, the tasers have, indeed, killed people.

i don't know if i'm expressing this right - and i'm certainly not a cop, so i may not have it exactly correct....

of course on the other hand - there are no doubt situations where a gun COULD have been used, but a taser was and the individual lived to see another day.

it's just very controversial up here.

hey smrtmama ~ would your husband care to share anything about taser use in the states? do i have the ideas basically straight? (up above) ...

(and i'm not posting this stuff to cause a ruckus ~ seriously. there's a lot of differences between the way things work in the states and the way they work here...just sharing some canadian info and curious about US stuff.)

yeah but the thing is - guns are fired when the use of (potentially) DEADLY force is required. tasers are *supposed to be* a non-lethal weapon that can be used in situations where deadly force is NOT appropriate. ie, where the cops would have used pepper spray, physical restraint, etc etc ...yet, the tasers have, indeed, killed people.

i don't know if i'm expressing this right - and i'm certainly not a cop, so i may not have it exactly correct....

of course on the other hand - there are no doubt situations where a gun COULD have been used, but a taser was and the individual lived to see another day.

it's just very controversial up here.

hey smrtmama ~ would your husband care to share anything about taser use in the states? do i have the ideas basically straight? (up above) ...

(and i'm not posting this stuff to cause a ruckus ~ seriously. there's a lot of differences between the way things work in the states and the way they work here...just sharing some canadian info and curious about US stuff.)

OC spray *could* kill someone. People have respiratory reactions to it. OC spray also puts the officer at greater risk (any stray wind can result in an officer w/ a face full of spray). OC spray often does not work well on individuals high on certain drugs, like PCP or meth. Physically restraining someone puts the officer at a greatly elevated safety risk.

These methods are call "less lethal" for a reason (most police departments do not refer to them as "non-lethal"). They are significantly less lethal than a gun, but used in situations where, if less lethal options aren't available, lethal force may have to be used. Neither Tasers nor OC spray are deployed haphazardly; officers in DH's department have a lot of extra paperwork to fill out if they use them.

The long and short of it is that Tasers keeps officers safe. They have an extremely low rate of death or injury, and the vast majority of deaths or injuries have among people with preexisting heart problems, who were using heavy illegal drugs, or a combination of both. Tasers provide officers with an additional line of defense and an alternative to lethal force. Big vote in favor of Tasers, IMO.

Well known story about the tazer but really funny:

"The Pocket Taser, Stun Gun Story"

Last weekend I saw something at Larry's Pistol & Pawn Shop that sparked my interest. The occasion was our 15th anniversary and I was looking for a little something extra for my wife Julie. What I came across was a 100,000-volt, pocket/purse-sized taser. The effects of the taser were supposed to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on your assailant, allowing her adequate time to retreat to safety. WAY TOO COOL!

Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home.

I loaded two triple-a batteries in the darn thing and pushed the button. Nothing! I was disappointed. I learned, however, that if I pushed the button AND pressed it against a metal surface at the same time; I'd get the blue arch of electricity darting back and forth between the prongs.

AWESOME!!!

Unfortunately, I have yet to explain to Julie what that burn spot is on the face of her microwave!

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it couldn't be all that bad with only two triple-A batteries, right?!

There I sat in my recliner, my cat Gracie looking on intently (trusting little soul) while I was reading the directions and thinking that I really needed to try this thing out on a flesh & blood moving target. I must admit I thought about zapping Gracie (for a fraction of a second) and thought better of it. She is such a sweet cat. But, if I was going to give this thing to my wife to protect herself against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would work as advertised. Am I wrong???

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading glasses perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in on hand, and taser in another.

The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would reportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water.

Any burst longer than three seconds would be wasting the batteries? All the while I'm looking at this little device measuring about 5' long, less than 3/4 inch in circumference; pretty cute really and (loaded with two itsy, bitsy triple-A batteries) thinking to myself, 'no possible way!'??

What happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best...

I'm sitting there alone, Gracie looking on with her head cocked to one side as to say, 'don't do it dummy,' reasoning that a one- second burst from such a tiny little ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad. I decided to give myself a one-second burst just for heck of it. I touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button and...

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!!

I'm pretty sure Hulk Hogan ran in through the side door, picked me up in the recliner, and then body slammed us both on the carpet, over and over and over again. I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, with tears in my eyes, body soaking wet, both nipples on fire, with my left arm tucked under my body in the oddest position, and tingling in my legs! The cat was standing over me making meowing sounds I had never heard before, licking my face, undoubtedly thinking to herself, 'Do it again, stupid, do it again!'

Note: If you ever feel compelled to 'mug' yourself with a taser, one note of caution: there is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap yourself! You will not let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor. A three-second burst would be considered conservative.

A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at that point), I collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the landscape. My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. How did they get up there??? My triceps, right thigh and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocain, and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs.

P. S. My wife loved the gift, and now regularly threatens me with it!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

DH volunteered to do this a couple of years ago. It is not mandatory for all in his dept to have it done. They just have to watch someone else get it done (and record it on their cell phone cameras :lol::lol::lol:)

He said childbirth has nothing on the pain.:lol:

How would he know?

Well known story about the tazer but really funny:

"The Pocket Taser, Stun Gun Story"

Last weekend I saw something at Larry's Pistol & Pawn Shop that sparked my interest. The occasion was our 15th anniversary and I was looking for a little something extra for my wife Julie. What I came across was a 100,000-volt, pocket/purse-sized taser. The effects of the taser were supposed to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on your assailant, allowing her adequate time to retreat to safety. WAY TOO COOL!

Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home.

I loaded two triple-a batteries in the darn thing and pushed the button. Nothing! I was disappointed. I learned, however, that if I pushed the button AND pressed it against a metal surface at the same time; I'd get the blue arch of electricity darting back and forth between the prongs.

AWESOME!!!

Unfortunately, I have yet to explain to Julie what that burn spot is on the face of her microwave!

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it couldn't be all that bad with only two triple-A batteries, right?!

There I sat in my recliner, my cat Gracie looking on intently (trusting little soul) while I was reading the directions and thinking that I really needed to try this thing out on a flesh & blood moving target. I must admit I thought about zapping Gracie (for a fraction of a second) and thought better of it. She is such a sweet cat. But, if I was going to give this thing to my wife to protect herself against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would work as advertised. Am I wrong???

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading glasses perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in on hand, and taser in another.

The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would reportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water.

Any burst longer than three seconds would be wasting the batteries? All the while I'm looking at this little device measuring about 5' long, less than 3/4 inch in circumference; pretty cute really and (loaded with two itsy, bitsy triple-A batteries) thinking to myself, 'no possible way!'??

What happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best...

I'm sitting there alone, Gracie looking on with her head cocked to one side as to say, 'don't do it dummy,' reasoning that a one- second burst from such a tiny little ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad. I decided to give myself a one-second burst just for heck of it. I touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button and...

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!!

I'm pretty sure Hulk Hogan ran in through the side door, picked me up in the recliner, and then body slammed us both on the carpet, over and over and over again. I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, with tears in my eyes, body soaking wet, both nipples on fire, with my left arm tucked under my body in the oddest position, and tingling in my legs! The cat was standing over me making meowing sounds I had never heard before, licking my face, undoubtedly thinking to herself, 'Do it again, stupid, do it again!'

Note: If you ever feel compelled to 'mug' yourself with a taser, one note of caution: there is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap yourself! You will not let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor. A three-second burst would be considered conservative.

A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at that point), I collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the landscape. My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. How did they get up there??? My triceps, right thigh and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocain, and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs.

P. S. My wife loved the gift, and now regularly threatens me with it!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

:lol: That's the one I read. Still so stinkin' funny.

The long and short of it is that Tasers keeps officers safe. They have an extremely low rate of death or injury, and the vast majority of deaths or injuries have among people with preexisting heart problems, who were using heavy illegal drugs, or a combination of both. Tasers provide officers with an additional line of defense and an alternative to lethal force. Big vote in favor of Tasers, IMO.

This isn't coming from my DH, but from another cop - one reason tasers are effective is that civilians believe cops will use them and use them right away. So the civilian is often quicker to comply with stop and desist orders when threatened with a taser. This keeps officers and civilians safer, including innocent bystander civilians.

And yes, the DVD is fun to have. :D DH has put it in for friends and family a number of times.

Dh got his about 6 months ago. They video'd the process. I won't watch the video but I've heard it. He screamed like a girl. They all did really.

I don't know if I want to see the video. My mom seems to think it would be funny, but I know how much I hated seeing him in pain in the video of his OC drills. I believe him when he says he didn't shriek, but I don't want to see him trying to escape his own leg, either!

I don't think I could watch a video of DH getting sprayed - he reacts to it really badly. I will never be without Dawn in the house. DH likes showing the taser video in a macho show-off way. I wouldn't call it funny, but he and his buddies do tease each other about various reactions. :tongue_smilie:

Robert Dziekanski --- this is one of the most well known taser-related deaths that occurred in canada.

taser-related deaths in canada 2003-present --- yes, some of those people had drugs in their system - some, not all.

tasers can - and have - killed "healthy" people. that's why their use is so controversial up here....

I was going to mention that one. That was such a sad case all around.

The cops here seem to like their Tasers. Honestly, I'd much prefer they use the Tasers than the guns. Shooting someone with a gun is still far more likely to end a life than Tasing them.

I don't know if I want to see the video. My mom seems to think it would be funny, but I know how much I hated seeing him in pain in the video of his OC drills. I believe him when he says he didn't shriek, but I don't want to see him trying to escape his own leg, either!

Thebiggest reason I won't watch it is more of a boycott than anything else. I was totally against him getting tased. He has medical issues, and there have been deaths attributed to people being tased.

I support him in his career in every other way. And having been a police officer in the past I can appreciate being able to carry a taser from a POV that is not strictly civilian. I simply could not get behind the taser.

The other reason is because I get no pleasure/humor from watching people in pain. I never liked the America's Funniest Video shows because they were often based on someone else's pain to get a laugh.