Menu

Can you please remind me why I'm homeschooling??

Because it is best for your family. :) Sorry you are having a hard week. Sometimes it's just hard but so are many things. You just have to love the one year old climbing up on the table to get in the middle of things. You are going to look back on this and miss it. :grouphug:

I have been reading Smarting Us Up... you may want to get your hands on a copy and take a "day off" of school to read some of it.

Read the quote on the top of a recent blog post of mine here.

http://www.veronicaboulden.com/2010/08/are-you-sure-you-are-homeschooling-your.html

The whole book is turning into good reminder to me and I didn't really think I needed one since I have been trucking along pretty nicely lately. But, I think we all can use reminders, right? :grouphug:

Because no one else is better qualified to instruct YOUR children.

Because you love them better than anyone else ever could.

Because you want to spend as much time with them as you can before they grow up and start their own lives.

Because you want your children to be loving and close with each other, even as adults.

Because you see the wisdom of not surrendering 14,000+ hours of instructional time to influences outside of your family...including randomly selected strangers.

Because God commands that parents should teach their children.

Because my daughter went to public school from Kindergarten through most of third grade before I finally got fed up enough with the school system and pulled her out to begin homeschooling, and I am SO glad to be rid of that school system!

Because we do lots of fun, cool, hands on things.

Because I learn and do interesting things right along with them.

Because childhood really does fly by (my oldest is 18 already) and I don't want to miss out on so much of it (nor do I want THEM to miss out on so much of it).

Because I believe it's the best thing for them.

Because it gives me a reason to post with you guys. :D

Because no one else is better qualified to instruct YOUR children.

Because you love them better than anyone else ever could.

Because you want to spend as much time with them as you can before they grow up and start their own lives.

Because you want your children to be loving and close with each other, even as adults.

Because you see the wisdom of not surrendering 14,000+ hours of instructional time to influences outside of your family...including randomly selected strangers.

Because God commands that parents should teach their children.(Atleast he does to me)

These are excellent reasons that happen to be my reasons too. I would add for me that I don't like being away from my dc. Not in a creepy smothering way, but in the 'I love being with my kids because they are great people' kind of way. I hope I can be great friends with my kids when they are adults.

Thanks everyone. Reading these replies helps.

You just have to love the one year old climbing up on the table to get in the middle of things. You are going to look back on this and miss it.

She's probably the main reason why everything is so hard. I love her to bits, and I know I'll miss this adorable little age, but right now I just want to get a full night's sleep and get her to understand that the table is not for dancing on. :tongue_smilie:

If you are a Christian and were called by God to do it, then because you are obedient! ;-) (Sorry, that was to keep myself focused...)

Because you want to raise thinkers and not test-takers.

Because children are precious and you want what is best for them.

Because you consider it all joy when you encounter trials of many kids, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

Because, if they went to PS, you'd spend nearly the same amount of time each day on homework anyway...

Hang in there--you are not alone. I was writing this to myself, too!

Oh.

I thought the reason we were all here right alongside Bonnie was because a day without the board would be like a day without coffee, wine, chocolate, and the latest hunk sensation. Or a good a laugh.

Now I read it's all about the kids?:001_huh:

Hang in there, Bonnie. Grab some sleep when you can. And know that since you homeschool, you don't have to get a dog. Yes, you read that right. When my kids were in private school, there came a point when my oldest was in 6th grade where 7 of the moms I regularly volunteered with all went and got puppies that same year. It was the same as kindergarten all over again. They couldn't go to lunch or coffee because the dog needed letting out. Instead of urped on clothes, they had chewed up shoes. They were forever in trouble with the school administration because they took their puppies out of the car at pickup time and chaos and piddle rained supreme.;) Being a bright girl with a younger child, I held out for 2 more years and decided to homeschool instead of getting the dog. Boy, did I show them.:tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:

Because when they are 15 1/2 and they still want to talk to you about the big important topics, when you see the fruit of decisions being made, when you remember all of the fun times you have shared together, when you watch them be able to have a discussion with someone twice there age or half there age, when you know that no matter what the grade scale at public school would tell you, your kids are working to their strengths and at their pace to become the person God wanted them to be. It will get easier as they get older. Enjoy living in the moment....even if thats in a messy living room with a thousand to do lists in the back of your mind. It is worth it! :grouphug: Ruby

Because you can do fun things with them when everyone else is in school. We went raspberry picking this morning, and it was not crowded at all like on the weekends.

Oh yeah...and all of the years we would take Wednesdays off and go skiing, when there was no one on the slopes. :lol:

You have gotten some great replies and I agree with most of them, AND have to remind myself at times of the reasons why I homeschool. So, you are not alone. :001_smile:

I just wanted to say that the past two days have really encouraged my homeschool decision.

My six year old son has told me on both days... "mom, I love that you homeschool me". :001_wub: Then, he also added today that "he wants to grow up and be a homeschool teacher like me". WOW!!!! :thumbup: Those words from my sweet little man motivate me like no other words!!! :) He is making mom feel mighty good! :hurray:

Also, this little guy LOVES to sing while he works on his school work. ALL.THE. TIME. :tongue_smilie: I treasure hearing his little voice singing "This little light of Mine" or "I'll Fly Away". It is simply priceless for me.

Soooooo... those are a couple of more reasons that I can add to why I choose to homeschool. Best wishes to you!!! :D

After doing this for a few years i finally realized that there is a transition period over the first couple of weeks where they have to be retrained to sit down, hold still and focus. My ds 8 can do the sit down part this week but can't seem to not say everything he is thinking. Be consistent with what you expect from them and they will slowly fall into place. It's hard for us when we do whatever we want all summer and then we have to shift gears. Even I don't like it very much. And sometimes the wiggly one just needs to bounce on the big green exercise ball while he does math flashcards. Try doing that in public school.

Because you consider it all joy when you encounter trials of many kids, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

I know this was a typo....but it made me giggle!!! LOL and my trial of many kids certainly tests my faithfulness and endurance daily.

Thanks!!! I needed this today. God is so GOOD!:lol:

Faithe

Oh.

I thought the reason we were all here right alongside Bonnie was because a day without the board would be like a day without coffee, wine, chocolate, and the latest hunk sensation. Or a good a laugh.

Hang in there, Bonnie. Grab some sleep when you can. And know that since you homeschool, you don't have to get a dog. Yes, you read that right. When my kids were in private school, there came a point when my oldest was in 6th grade where 7 of the moms I regularly volunteered with all went and got puppies that same year. It was the same as kindergarten all over again. They couldn't go to lunch or coffee because the dog needed letting out. Instead of urped on clothes, they had chewed up shoes. They were forever in trouble with the school administration because they took their puppies out of the car at pickup time and chaos and piddle rained supreme.;) Being a bright girl with a younger child, I held out for 2 more years and decided to homeschool instead of getting the dog. Boy, did I show them.:tongue_smilie:

Hahaha!!!! well I have the homeschool AND the puppy. But, at least we are here to let him out...AND the "administration" loves him....

post-219-13535083878771_thumb.jpg

post-219-13535083878771_thumb.jpg

Hahaha!!!! well I have the homeschool AND the puppy. But, at least we are here to let him out...AND the "administration" loves him....

Faithe, he is a cutie and don't get me wrong because I enjoy dogs. But that year was bizarre. It was like everyone had empty-nest syndrome and had to replace the children they sent to school.

Faithe, he is a cutie and don't get me wrong because I enjoy dogs. But that year was bizarre. It was like everyone had empty-nest syndrome and had to replace the children they sent to school.

I have seen it happen too!!! :lol:

I think it's funny! And it was Dh who was having the "I miss having a baby" moment....not me. Guess who is doing the doggie training????? :D

~~Faithe

We had been homeschooling a few years when I had one of those days. I wondered in prayer what was so wrong with public school (for us). After all, the stake primary president, who lived two houses down from me, had wonderful children who attended ps. I received a clear answer that homeschool was best for our family. I still don't know why we are to homeschool, but that answer to prayer has carried me through many a rough day.

Because littles are only little for so long and I want to savor every moment.

Because I can look back on my PS experience and see so many things that affected me in a negative way and I wonder how I would have turned out if I hadn't had to deal with so much crap.

Because I know just how many holes there are in my own education and I don't want my children to suffer that.

Because I feel called to do so, it is not just a choice but a way of life and an essential part of how I view motherhood.

Or if you cant remember ;), at least tell me why you are.

I need some encouragement/inspiration this week.

I have a reason you might not have heard yet. When my kids were 10 and 8 I was diagnosed with cancer. It was relatively minor, but it was still scary. I remember thinking that if I died they were not going to have very many memories of me. I was so disturbed by this. My husband reminded me that we had spent so much time together that they would probably have a lot more memories of me than if I had sent them to school that whole time.

Now, I'm not sure if they would have been very good memories, but that is another thread. :lol:

Hang in there!

Oh.

:lol: You're right! I can't quit b/c then I would feel silly spending inordinate amounts of time on this board. ;)

Because you can do fun things with them when everyone else is in school. We went raspberry picking this morning, and it was not crowded at all like on the weekends.

Oh, this sounds so nice! I have not been doing nearly enough fun things. After reading this, I decided we'll accept an invitation to go swimming tomorrow morning. And we might even get some school work done before we go. :001_smile:

We had been homeschooling a few years when I had one of those days. I wondered in prayer what was so wrong with public school (for us). After all, the stake primary president, who lived two houses down from me, had wonderful children who attended ps. I received a clear answer that homeschool was best for our family. I still don't know why we are to homeschool, but that answer to prayer has carried me through many a rough day.

Yes. Thank you.

Now, I'm not sure if they would have been very good memories, but that is another thread. :lol:

Yeah, I'm hoping there will be enough good memories to balance out the memories they form during weeks like this. :glare: And thank you for sharing your story.