Menu

If you use a slow cooker, do you leave it turned on when you leave your house?

As a general rule - No.

My dad was a firefighter and that is just one of those things that has been drilled into me. (I know. They are designed to be safe, blah, blah. Just something my dad was always strict with my mom about.)

Also - 9 years ago, I was just feet away from the slow cooker when it overheated my counter-top. We have Corian seamless counters and they are suppose to withstand heat. But I had put the slow cooker right on top of a seam in the corner. It got too hot and caused the entire counter-top to "pop" (loudly!) and buckle up. Though it durn near gave me a heart attack, I was glad I was home - and standing right there - to know/see what had happened.

It took me years after that to even be comfortable using a slow cooker when I was home!

Also - 9 years ago, I was just feet away from the slow cooker when it overheated my counter-top. We have Corian seamless counters and they are suppose to withstand heat. But I had put the slow cooker right on top of a seam in the corner. It got too hot and caused the entire counter-top to "pop" (loudly!) and buckle up. Though it durn near gave me a heart attack, I was glad I was home - and standing right there - to know/see what had happened.

It took me years after that to even be comfortable using a slow cooker when I was home!

:svengo:

As a general rule - No.

My dad was a firefighter and that is just one of those things that has been drilled into me. (I know. They are designed to be safe, blah, blah. Just something my dad was always strict with my mom about.)

!

Your dad sounds like my dad. (we don't do live Christmas trees either.) I'll leave ours on, but it does make me nervous. I don't think I've ever left it all day either. Would love to use it a lot more than I do now too.

Yes. My dad is also a former firefighter. He and my mom never leave the house with the crockpot on, and always unplug both the coffee pot and the toaster as well. They also don't leave the dishwasher, washing machine or drier unattended. I, on the other hand, do all of these ;). In my opinion, my life is too busy and time too short to babysit appliances that are supposed to be a convenience. Yes, something could go wrong, but I won't be inconvenienced everyday on the off chance something malfunctions. After all, that's what insurance is for :).

Yes. My dad is also a former firefighter. He and my mom never leave the house with the crockpot on, and always unplug both the coffee pot and the toaster as well. They also don't leave the dishwasher, washing machine or drier unattended. I, on the other hand, do all of these ;). In my opinion, my life is too busy and time too short to babysit appliances that are supposed to be a convenience. Yes, something could go wrong, but I won't be inconvenienced everyday on the off chance something malfunctions. After all, that's what insurance is for :).

Funny, I'll leave the crockpot going but I won't leave the house with the washer/dryer or dishwasher running. The dishwasher thing is mostly because our dishwasher has overheated and almost started a fire (melted the ENTIRE inside).

Yep! When I know I'm not going to be home is when I'm most likely to use it!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I use it on days when we're going to be out most of the day, so that the family can still eat a relatively healthy, inexpensive meal. Well, healthier and cheaper than McDonald's, anyway.

I'm very cautious about leaving things on--a family friend lost their entire home to a fire caused by a faulty dryer so I'm pretty paranoid about it actually--but I've always felt OK about the crockpot.

I'd probably leave it on low, only because some things dry out quicker than you might expect--but I wouldn't hesitate to leave one on if it was in good condition.