Menu

Cloth diapers--Fuzzi Bunz or Hugga Buns or...?

I have never used cloth diapers, but am considering them with the new baby.

I was leaning toward Fuzzi Bunz, until I visited the store of the manufacturer of Hugga Buns. They seem quite similar, but Hugga Buns adjusts with snaps, while Fuzzi Bunz uses elastic. They are both pocket diapers.

So, any experience with either one? I'm looking for a comparison between the two, but any advice/suggestions will be helpful.

Also, if there is another good brand, or a reason a different style (other than pocket diaper, such as using pre-folds with covers, etc.) is better, feel free to share!

Thanks!

I like things simple and therefore used prefolds and covers for Doodle. I did try a few Fuzzi Bunz. I couldn't see taking the time to stuff the pocket diapers and then pulling them apart to wash. Seemed to me it just made twice the amount of work and laundry. Washing prefolds was so simple. I only need a minimal number of covers. I would wipe them down and air dry between uses. I only washed the covers after several uses or if there was a really messy diaper.

I am a gigantic fan of Fuzzi Buns and Bum Genius. I've also used prefolds in times of emergency. You really can't go wrong with cloth diapers. Can you go to a store that sells them so you can see them in person? (They are out there - but few and far between)

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of thinking the same thing, but also want something as similar to disposable as possible in ease of use, fit and changing. I am used to opening side tabs to remove diapers. I would be afraid that, during the process of pulling the cover off by sliding it down the legs, there would be "yuck" all over the lower extremities. Please enlightening me :).

Also, how do you attach/fit the prefold? Do you actually use old-fashioned pins, or is there another way? Doesn't the fact of not having something absorbent tight around their legs allow for too much leakage?

Do you use a terry or wool cover, or only plastic ones?

Looking forward to clarification, as well as others' replies.

I am a gigantic fan of Fuzzi Buns and Bum Genius. I've also used prefolds in times of emergency. You really can't go wrong with cloth diapers. Can you go to a store that sells them so you can see them in person? (They are out there - but few and far between)

Thanks for the encouragement! Everyone in my circle (including my kids, who don't want to wash them) think I'm nuts for even considering it, LOL!

Yes, I did just visit a store and was able to look at both brands, and the nice lady showed me how they both worked. However, I didn't really have time to look into all of the different diaper types, and since I haven't touched a diaper in 7 years, it was a bit hard to determine what would work best just by looking at them.

So, how are Fuzzi Buns and Bum Genius different, and what do you like about them? When you used pre-folds in a pinch, how do you use them?

Thanks!

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/covers.htm

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm

I'd go with this combo... personally... if I had to choose one. It's kinda addicting... that cloth diapering thing... but with these, it's easiest for diapering.. in my opinion. Of course, I also like wool covers... bought and made them... and they are pretty easy... so right after you get past newborn... I think they are especially great for night time diapering! They are easy, each morning you just flip them inside out to dry... and use them for quite a few nights before they need washed... (I know... sounds weird... but read up... it's great! You need 2 to alternate nights)

:)

PS, I bleached out my diapers every once in a while... and when I did that I double or triple rinsed... I tried all the natural things to do... but that's what worked for me )

My covers had velcro tabs on the sides to open. They did not pull down. I used Snappis to fasten the prefolds.

Great! Thanks! Do you recall what brand the covers were, and what material they were made out of? And what exactly are Snappis?

I used Kushies with the diaper wraps from Gerber for my first. I got them used at a garage sale after they'd already been used for two babies, so they were worn out by the time my first outgrew them. I used UltraKushies All-in-Ones for my next two girls and then passed them on to a friend afterwards. They didn't need separate covers.

http://www.kushies.com/FAQ/faq.html

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I always tell people to buy several different diapers to try out first, rather than investing in a whole set of one brand. Then you can see which kind fits your baby the best and which type you prefer using. If you do this I would try to get a mix of snap vs. velcro too, as most people end up with a definite preference. (personally I like snaps)

I use prefolds with Bummis Super Brite covers or Thirsties Duo Wrap covers. The Bummis are one size & the Thirsties Duo are adjustable. I use a Snappi to fasten my prefolds, but you don't have to if you have a cover. I just got my first BumGenius pocket diapers & I LOVE THEM! They are so easy to use, & they keep my baby drier than the prefolds. Keep in mind, though, that I haven't had them long enough to know how well they wash up. I've heard of lots of stink/ammonia issues with AIOs...I'm hoping the fact that I can pull the insert out to launder will make it easier to get it clean. It's no biggie for me to pull the insert out of the diaper before I toss them in the pail. I didn't buy them at first because of the money (they are more expensive than prefolds & covers). We just got them on the BumGenius Buy 5 get 1 free sale...my mom & I split the cost as part of my daughter's birthday present! One thing I would do differently if I could: Instead of buying a large quantity of one type of diaper, I would by a few to try of several different types. I know you would end up with some that were favorites & some that you don't like as much, but I think it would be worth it to find the one you love. I bought lots of prefolds and covers, & they are great, but I could've spent about the same amount for a smaller stash of BumGenius pocket dipes! I thought I would need more than I actually use. I could easily get by with 12 BG pocket dipes and never dig into my prefolds except in an emergency. Anyway, that's my two cents!

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a package deal online that had a sample of several different types of diapers. I think it was at Diaper Junction, but I'm not sure. It is such a good idea to sample several different types, because what works wonderfully for one baby may not be the best fit for your baby. Good luck finding what you need!

Edited by 4them

in theory my fav is actually gdiapers the reason I say theory is I love everything about them BUT I am a snap girl and they have velcro. I really like the disposable insert you can get that is biodegradable so you are still doing good for the environment but it is very convenient for going out. That being said I most often use the flip with a prefold cause that is the second best AND they have snaps!

I just started looking at diaper sites again, to make a list of the kind we like for a local friend, and my eyes started spinning at how many options there are. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't used the new FuzziBunz, but we've had good luck with that brand. The FB still in my closet are probably from five versions ago. :p

My personal favorites are BumGenius! one-size pockets, and Mother-Ease one-size fitteds. The latter one needs covers; I knit or sew our own wool covers for those. I'm sure some of the newer brands are just as great, but these two have been my "old reliables" so I'm sticking with them.

For the newborn stage I use prefolds and simple covers. The one-size diapers don't fit very well until a baby is big enough to fill out a size small, in my experience.

Have you looked into Flip?

:iagree:

I've been using them for a few weeks now, and I'm a big fan. They're one size, less expensive than the BG or FB pockets since you can re use the cover, and they have stay dry, organic cotton, and disposable inserts.

The insert is really easy to lay in the cover, and if poo gets on the cover (so it has to go in the wash), you don't have to touch the insert because it will just come out in the washer. Oh, and the inserts dry fast in the dryer, and the covers air dry really well.

They've been getting great reviews.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=139

Thanks so much everyone! I will definitely look into the sample pak. I was thinking about using disposables to get me through the newborn stage anyway (seems silly to invest in infant-sized cloths that they will use for such a short time), so maybe I could buy an infant-sized sample pak to try out, and by the time I need to buy a large quantity, I will have figured out what works.

I never would have considered using pre-folds until I saw all your posts, because I assumed that meant pins and rubber pants, LOL! I love the idea of the pocket diapers, because the entire thing is absorbant, not just the insert, but that means the whole thing has to be washed after every use, whereas the prefolds could be washed and the covers simply wiped down, which I like. Hmm...

Your comments have been really helpful. Keep 'em coming...

We use mostly prefolds with a snappi and Thirsties Duowraps. I do have about 4 BumGeniuses, though, and they are great. I have a friend who uses only BumGeniuses and has been for over a year, and she's had the amonia issue once or twice. It just requires stripping. She also uses a little oxyclean and that helps as well.

One thing that I like about BumGenius vs. my prefolds is that they are much trimmer, so my daughter's heiny doesn't look huge. As she's getting older, it's much less of an issue, but back when she was little, the prefolds could be a tad bit bulky. It's just something no one mentioned to me before I started and I wish they had. As for ease of use for prefolds vs. pockets, I'd say that it's a wash. Prefolds take longer to actually put on the baby, although once you get good at it, it's not a big deal, even with a squirmy toddler. Pockets take longer to stuff after washing, so I think it's about the same.

As far as sampling many goes, a great sample set is from Mom's Milk Boutique, my absolute favorite cloth diapering store. It's run by two sisters and their prices can't be beat, and free shipping no matter how much you buy! I seriously love them. Here's a link to their sample set: http://www.momsmilkboutique.com/ClothDiaperTrial.html

Really, though, cloth diaper preferences seem to be almost as personal a choice as curriculum preferences. Some work for some babies and moms, and others work better for other babies and moms.

We have FuzzyBunz and Happy Heinys

I have tons of the Happy Heiny's because I got a great deal, but I much prefer my Fuzzybunz.

I put 2 inserts in every time. I have never had a leak and love these diapers.

The fuzzy bunz are slimmer than the Happy Heiny's imo.

I really don't think you can go wrong though, all cloth diapers have come a long way! My dd is 20 months old and still fits perfectly in the diapers. I think they will go all the way until she is potty trained. She is 25lbs.

hth,

christina

You have TONS of options. It's gonna boil down to a few basic things.

• Your budget
  • What style of diaper fits into your lifestyle
  • How often do you want to wash - This will help to determine how many to purchase
  • How long you're willing to wait for drying of diapers
  • How versatile you want the diaper - For example do you want a diaper that will fit from nb all the way to toddler. Or just a diaper per stage.
  • What sort of covers you want to use - Wool, Fleece, PUL or none.
  • Your diaper bag - What diapers will be the best to use out in public and on the go - if this is your first time diapering you'll be turned off by diapers that are messy out and about to fool with, so you'll need to consider getting some "easy" and "fast" to change diapers on the go.

If you need anymore help deciding there are TONS of experienced mama's here it seems and tons of information online. :001_smile:

Now for me I used a little bit of everything. But my all time favorite for the nb stage were def. prefolds with snappis and wool! Now that my ds is in the running stage I'm all about fitted and an easy cover or some longies/shorties or AIO's for on the go. I've tried FB, BG and HH and I prefer WAHM brands :p

I had all different kinds of cloth diapers, but my favorites were Happy Heinys, FuzziBunz, and Chinese prefolds with Alexis Feather-light or Bummis Whisper Pant covers. I just used diaper pins because the Snappi didn't hold well for me for some reason. Once you get used to them you can pin almost as fast as you can secure a Snappi. Also, by pinning the diaper tightly, nothing can escape at the leg to get the cover messy.

Happy Heinys were great because they are one-size pocket diapers. They snap down really small and still fit my ds when it was time to potty train.

Another option that worked well was a prefold folded in thirds and just laid inside a Nikky velcro wrap. The leg gussets held EVERYTHING inside and we only had leakage when I went too long between changes and the diaper was super soaked. This method was the absolute fastest at diaper changes. I actually miss seeing the stacks of clean diapers waiting to be used. It just gave me a warm/fuzzy feeling, lol! Happy diapering!

. I was thinking about using disposables to get me through the newborn stage anyway (seems silly to invest in infant-sized cloths that they will use for such a short time), so maybe I could buy an infant-sized sample pak to try out, and by the time I need to buy a large quantity, I will have figured out what works.

About infant-sized diapers... I absolutely loved my newborn sized prefolds! I think they were the best investment I made because they could be used for so many other things, too. They are the perfect size for burp cloths and cleaning rags. Also, they are great in toddler diapers when you want to add more absorbancy w/o a lot of extra bulk. I cut out fleece liners to put right next to ds's bottom and that kept any bm from staining the diapers.

I only bought newborn and premium sized prefolds (not any other size) and then used them through my 3 kids (they were lent to a friend for her dd in between mine). I used them pinned, folded in pocket diapers, layered inside fitted diapers, and folded in thirds in velcro wraps. Many are still going strong as dusters and for polishing furniture.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/covers.htm

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm

I'd go with this combo... personally... if I had to choose one. It's kinda addicting... that cloth diapering thing... but with these, it's easiest for diapering.. in my opinion. Of course, I also like wool covers... bought and made them... and they are pretty easy... so right after you get past newborn... I think they are especially great for night time diapering! They are easy, each morning you just flip them inside out to dry... and use them for quite a few nights before they need washed... (I know... sounds weird... but read up... it's great! You need 2 to alternate nights)

:)

PS, I bleached out my diapers every once in a while... and when I did that I double or triple rinsed... I tried all the natural things to do... but that's what worked for me )

Yup, yup, yup. I got mine from greenmountain and I used the wool soakers--aristocrat I think? Until I figured out how to make them myself. I'm passing all of them down, they were just getting good when she trained (I used different ones for all the others, greenmountians were by fat the best. )

Thanks so much everyone! I will definitely look into the sample pak. I was thinking about using disposables to get me through the newborn stage anyway (seems silly to invest in infant-sized cloths that they will use for such a short time), so maybe I could buy an infant-sized sample pak to try out, and by the time I need to buy a large quantity, I will have figured out what works.

I never would have considered using pre-folds until I saw all your posts, because I assumed that meant pins and rubber pants, LOL! I love the idea of the pocket diapers, because the entire thing is absorbant, not just the insert, but that means the whole thing has to be washed after every use, whereas the prefolds could be washed and the covers simply wiped down, which I like. Hmm...

Your comments have been really helpful. Keep 'em coming...

Check out the prefitted diapers from Green Mountain Diapers for newborn diapers. At $3.95 per diaper, it is a great deal. I think you could sell them for $2 apiece when done with them, so you'd be making some money back.

I'm going to use GMD prefolds and made-by-me prefitteds with PUL covers (Thirsties Duo and Flips) or handmade wool pants.

This has been a crazy decision for me too. I had no idea when I decided to cloth diaper, that there were so many exciting options. It actually overcame my curriculum addiction for awhile searching through all of the options.

So...what I have bought as of now:

12 Organic Bum Genius (the organic are pricey, but I wanted Bum Genius and I wanted the snaps)

And then I placed a big order at Green Mountain Diapers. I just found such a wealth of information on her site. And the like 10 page info packet they send with each order is really awesome and helpful. After going through all of the info on there it convinced me to get two wool covers. I got the Lana and the Disana (and they are both so cute). And I bought chinese prefolds for infants and small and then Bummis Wraps and the Mothers Touch wrap for newborn.

Overall, I really wanted an assortment to experiment with. I figured that my Bum Genius are going to make things really easy when needed and then I can utilize all of the others for everyday. I also found most people suggested investing in some newborn diapers, because they really do need that size to truly fit right for the first six weeks. So, this is what I ended up with so far. Have fun picking!

About infant-sized diapers... I absolutely loved my newborn sized prefolds! I think they were the best investment I made because they could be used for so many other things, too. They are the perfect size for burp cloths and cleaning rags. Also, they are great in toddler diapers when you want to add more absorbancy w/o a lot of extra bulk. I cut out fleece liners to put right next to ds's bottom and that kept any bm from staining the diapers.

I only bought newborn and premium sized prefolds (not any other size) and then used them through my 3 kids (they were lent to a friend for her dd in between mine). I used them pinned, folded in pocket diapers, layered inside fitted diapers, and folded in thirds in velcro wraps. Many are still going strong as dusters and for polishing furniture.

#4 was my first cd'ed baby, and we went with disposables for the first few weeks. I won't be doing that this time around!

Not only do nb prefolds come in handy for other things, but covers, pockets, fitteds, etc. have good resale value, especially considering their short-term use. Between re-use and resale, they become cheaper than disposables... in addition to keeping those chemicals off of newborn skin and making more trash!

I use Goodmamas or Piddle Poddles at home, and Happy Heinys for when we're out and about. I like the GMs and PPs because they're sturdy, soft, and one-size, and they're made with organic fabrics. They're thick enough that ds can often go coverless in them, although in the winter we use wool longies or covers (I LOVE, LOVE wool covers, though I expected to hate them.:tongue_smilie:)

I got the HH one-size versions, and they have lasted DS from infancy to the present, and will fit till time for PTing. They don't leak, they fit well in multiple sizes, their "stuffablity" is adjustable, depending on how heavy a wetter your dc is, etc. I have been very happy.

It took me awhile to settle on which kinds I like, but I have been very happy with these for over a year. :)

Wow.. I'm recently pregnant with my 2nd child. My other child is 8, and I investigated doing cloth then, but ended up doing disposable. I had no idea there were so many options now.. and it looks so much easier, my husband may not fight me! Thank you for all this information.. My biggest concern will be portability and out-and-about-ness of some of these styles, but it looks like so many of you have already experienced this.. Thank you for such great insight!!!!

I've CD'd both my girls once we got home from the hospital. Prefolds are simple and inexpensive (Green Mountain Diapers is m favorite brand for these). You can either use a Snappi to hold them in place, or you can trifold them and tuck them into the cover. The NB/XS Proraps are my favorite for new babies (don't like the larger sizes). Right now, I'm using them with Thirsties and Thistires Duo covers.

W/ODD, my favorite diapers were the BumGenius one-size. Both girls fit in the smallest setting around 2 months. ODD wore them until she was PT'd at 2.5 yrs old. You get A LOT of use out of them. I also love Clothmopolitan fitteds. The BGs and Clothmos made up the majority of my stash w/her. Bummis Super Whisper Wraps were the only cover I used.

W/YDD, prefolds make up a larger portion of my stash at the moment, but I also have the BG one sizes again (love them!). I use Flip for her nighttime diaper.

Echoing pp's , you need to try out multiple brands and styles to figure out what works for your baby.

There are multiple websites/forums dedicated to CD'ing that are a wealth of information. Diaperswappers.com I have found to be very useful.

I've used Fuzzi Bunz for 7 years on 4 kids. I tried a bunch of different things with my first - fitteds, AIOs, wool, prefolds & wraps, but Fuzzi Bunz worked the best for us.

I had a hard time diapering newborns. I ended up using disposables until they fit in the medium Fuzzi Bunz because the smalls either irritated the cord or the elastic was too tight around the legs. If I ever diaper a newborn again I'm going to get the one-size Fuzzi Bunz. I think that might solve my problem.

Good luck deciding what to use!

I had a hard time diapering newborns. I ended up using disposables until they fit in the medium Fuzzi Bunz because the smalls either irritated the cord or the elastic was too tight around the legs. If I ever diaper a newborn again I'm going to get the one-size Fuzzi Bunz. I think that might solve my problem.

Good luck deciding what to use!

The BEST newborn diaper I ever tried was one made by Bellies and Buns. I don't think they're being made anymore, but if you can find some used they will be worth it. The front was cut in a V shape and covered with a waterproof material so that it stays away from the cord and the velcro was angled in the V shape as well. All seams are turned and double stitched so no elastic ever touches their sensitive skin. I had 4 for my ds and they were the first ones I reached for until he was about 3 or 4 months old. I thought about trying to make some myself, but I'm just not that good with a sewing machine, lol. I'm going to try to attach a pic of ds wearing his, but I've never done that before so I apologize if it doesn't work. He weighed 7 lbs 7 oz and this pic was taken just after the hospital nursery staff finished cleaning him up after birth.

post-4633-13535083697779_thumb.jpg

post-4633-13535083697779_thumb.jpg

Do you sew at all? I recently ordered some kits from DiaperKit.com and they were very simple to sew. I did some with attached covers and some with separate covers. Now that I know what I am doing, I ordered her pattern that has every size diaper and cover pattern included. JoAnn's sells high quality birdseye as well as diaper flannels. They also have PUL fabric for covers. If you use a coupon and your educator's discount, you can make cloth diapers with a PUL cover for about $3 each.

Incidentally, my youngest is 18. I used old timey diapers you had to fold with plastic pants for my 3 kids. Those same cheap birdseye diapers are still doing duty as cleaning rags in my house! My daughter has 11 month old twins. One of the twins keeps a diaper rash and I am making diapers for him. My children never had a single rash. My daughter does not believe it will make a difference. I intend to prove her wrong. Any tips to help me in this plan from the new generation of cloth diaper moms?????

Heheh, well good luck!! I think the idea of cloth diapering is wonderful, but as fast as time is running form me now, then I am happy I did not re-invest in them!

I had all the great cloth-diapering options in front of me when we were in Japan- where people do both- and did use cloth a lot. It was honestly more a romantic thing. On an ecological level then I am not convinced cloth is the answer since they do need a lot of water, electricity and possibly chlorine to get cleaned (depending on your preferences). That said, then the investment is also not that little.

I guess with the price of diapers and the reality of time, then I am glad I hung to my one-time use soilers!!

Heheh, well good luck!! I think the idea of cloth diapering is wonderful, but as fast as time is running form me now, then I am happy I did not re-invest in them!

:lol::lol: I was wondering how long it would take you to notice this post, Nadia! ;) Yes, I can certainly understand you not be "excited" about cloth at this point! You're right, it might be more of a "romantic" thing; it's just such a cozy idea, and it has been great fun doing the research.

You know me, of course I priced middle-of-the-road cloth (not the cheapest, not the most expensive), then figured out how many disposables babies use per day on average at each size, then priced a mega box of each size from Wal-Mart, multiplied times the number of diapers needed and compared. I came out with about $3k from birth to potty training for disposables, and about $1k for cloth. Of course, this doesn't include the water, detergent and electricity for cloth, nor the cost of wipes and trash removal for disposables.

I do a reasonable amount of traveling, spending a long weekend at my parents' every month, and often longer, so I am not sure how cloth would work with traveling.

I will probably get a basic newborn kit from Green Mountain Diapers, which would last for the first 2-3 months, and see how it goes. It's not a huge investment just to try it, and that will be enough for me to grow out of the "romantic" stage if that is truly all it is :).

I can certainly appreciate you thinking I'm a bit delusional, though!

I traveled with CDs w/o a problem w/ODD. I just had to make sure we stayed at a hotel w/ a w/d if we weren't staying w/family. We're going on a cruise in Jan, and I'll be CDing YDD onboard. Using travel compression bags helps w/the space the dipes take up in luggage.

For washing, a box of washing soda and bottle of Simple Green will go a loooooooooooong way for washing dipes! Vinegar or Grape Seed Extract can help kill the baddies, as can sunning the CDs.

It's been a while but way back when, I used homemade prefolds (2 layers flannel and strips of an old towel in the middle) with Bummis SWW covers for the newborn stage. Then later I still used them as changing pads, burping cloth, and folded up in pocket diapers too. They held up forever.

If you like sew.....I also made my own newborn fitted with the free Darling Diapers pattern and AIOs with the Very Baby pattern.

I never cared for Fuzzi Bunz, but I loved Bum Genius AIOs and Green Acre Designs pocket diapers

For overnights with a heavy wetter, I used homemade fitteds with a flat diaper folded up as a soaker pad and the Aristocrat wool soakers.

There is a lot to learn but it is so fun!! Check out the forums at http://www.diaperswappers.com/ to find out what is new and they also have a for sale forum where you can try things out. Be careful, it is addicting!

Edited by RanchGirl

Have you looked into Flip?

Flip Diapers are hands down my FAVORITE . . . . we have lots of Flip covers and inserts (both the organic cotton and the microfiber). Sooooooo easy to use and keep clean. Presently, we use Rockin' Green soap to clean the microfiber inserts . . . I tend to prefer cotton because it's a workhorse fabric and doesn't hold stink BUT the microfiber inserts are so trim. At times that is just nice to have. But since the microfiber tends to build up stinkies over time I've had to use the Rockin Green soap to knock out the funk!! :D Works GREAT.

I prefer indian prefolds and covers (Thirsties and Bummis worked well for us) early on then move to the Flip system when the baby is a little bigger.

• 4 months later...
:lol::lol: I was wondering how long it would take you to notice this post, Nadia! ;) Yes, I can certainly understand you not be "excited" about cloth at this point! You're right, it might be more of a "romantic" thing; it's just such a cozy idea, and it has been great fun doing the research.

You know me, of course I priced middle-of-the-road cloth (not the cheapest, not the most expensive), then figured out how many disposables babies use per day on average at each size, then priced a mega box of each size from Wal-Mart, multiplied times the number of diapers needed and compared. I came out with about $3k from birth to potty training for disposables, and about $1k for cloth. Of course, this doesn't include the water, detergent and electricity for cloth, nor the cost of wipes and trash removal for disposables.

I do a reasonable amount of traveling, spending a long weekend at my parents' every month, and often longer, so I am not sure how cloth would work with traveling.

I will probably get a basic newborn kit from Green Mountain Diapers, which would last for the first 2-3 months, and see how it goes. It's not a huge investment just to try it, and that will be enough for me to grow out of the "romantic" stage if that is truly all it is :).

I can certainly appreciate you thinking I'm a bit delusional, though!

Believe it or not, but I have spent all day today looking at Green Mountain and now found your thread here!!!!!!

I am actually considering getting a little stash of prefolded cloth-eez, a few bummies and imse vimses and a wool cover. Looking at the site brought back memories and I know suddenly found out about all the different diaper covers I acquired 20 years ago, lol!!!! Some new and some old, but I basically owned all the different kinds.

I feel my life is one big circle!

So, what did you end up buying and liking or did you succumb to disposables? My baby is always a bit red, thus the quest.

Snap closures take a little longer at diaper changes, but are also a bit harder for babies and toddlers to remove on their own. Which when they go through THAT phase can be very, very helpful.

Since I mostly like the pockets for nighttime, I'd vote for the snap closures, though I've used fuzzibunz and like them.

I love my cloth diapering system (now). I use flats and Rita's Rump Pocket (free pattern online); I either origami fold the flat or stuff the pocket diaper. This system does require a cover over that, and I use either Flips, Thirsties or wool or fleece pants. But the reason I love my flats is that they wash and dry so well. I was getting stink issues even in my quality prefolds because of hard well water, so going to flats was an unexpected thing which turned out great. I love flats!

I just did some math and wish I'd known how great this system would be before I spent more on fancier things (as I posted earlier when this thread first started)--

-- 2 dozen Green Mountain Diaper flats ($30 plus $7 shipping)

-- 24 Rita's Rump Pockets (made with two layers of flannel at $2.50/yard) ($24)

--3 Flip covers ($42)

Edited by ChrisOR