Menu

What's on your "must-have" list?

jlcejb6

For those who have been homeschooling for a while now, what are some must have items on your list that make homeschooling so much easier for you? Anything from curriculum, to pens and highlighters, to organizing... anything!!

:bigear:

Being without these things would cripple me. Well I guess I would learn to live without them, but I really wouldn't want to.

laptop on a wireless network

photoshop elements

MS Word

printer

electric pencil sharpener

Pentel RSVP medium point pens

clear contact paper for laminating stuff

workboxes

plenty of 3 ring binders and tabs

file folders

Just an inexpensive one from walmart and pouches from Sams but I have saved so much money and kept things so much nicer by laminating I thought mine broke the other day and would have gone right out and purchased a new one because I just don't want to be without it.

I could do it without these, but I wouldn't want to!

- color laser printer (mine doesn't have duplex; I wish it did)

- sheet protectors

- dry-erase boards of all sizes. You really can't have too many of these, and they can't be too big or too small. :)

- retractable highlighters

- my newest find: Sharpie pens. I love those things.

- wall-mount traditional pencil sharpener

Laptop

Wireless router

Dry Erase board(My dh just got me a big one and he hung it on the wall)

printer

old copier from my FIL

laminator

Copy paper

markers

pencils

math manipulatives

paint

magazine holders that I use for daily work

Books(I get most of our reading books at thrifts stores or on Ebay)

Book Shelves(my dh has promised to make me some)

SkyAngel

I'll echo the laptop and wi-fi. I live in an area where there is little opportunity to view curriculum in person. I can't imagine the stress some of the early homeschoolers went through trying to chose without being able to pop onto a website and view samples.

So curriculum websites would be my next choice. You could say google is my friend.

Other greats I couldn't do without:

My own pair of scissors that doesn't leave the classroom

bookcases for school material only

My former dining room table (large rectangular) that is now our classroom table. I love it.

pro-click binding machine

binder clips

3 hole punch

my own desk

Colored pencils

Library card and interlibrary loan

SOTW - all 4 volumes, plus the activity books

Books - lots and lots of living books

Children's story Bibles

NIV Bible

Pathway readers and Explode the Code to start

CLE and Saxon math

Photocopier

Lots and lots of plain and lined paper

Reading lists from Sonlight, Ambleside Online and Simply Charlotte Mason

Chocolate :-)

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids, ages 7-19, schooling grades 2, 4, 4 and 7 - and two in college now!

Laptop for me and each child with Wi-fi

Printer

Proclick Binding Machine (I've only had it about a week and already can't live without it!)

Paper Cutter

Mechanical Pencils

Homeschool Co-ops for great classes & socialization

WiFi and several computers

Printer

Unlined paper

Markers and colored pencils

Library card with interlibrary loan

Car to get places

A good cd player

Lots of clear carpet and floor space

A comfy couch with a good reading light

A table to leave half completed projects on

The Library online catalogue and hold system, so I can just pick up stacks of books that I want.

Dry erase boards----magnetic ones

A copy machine

A bic 4 n 1 pen. When I am going over material lists I use different colors for what I own, what I can borrow, and what I need to buy. I also use different colors for each child.

Label machine (It was a gift and I really didn't imagine I would use it as much as I do)

Hmmmm, this is tough and fun altogether!

Let's see...top ten in order of priority, remembering I have young ones:

The Well-Trained Mind

laptop with wi-fi/these forums

our library

red wine (yes, it's about this high, and it might beat the library if I'm honest)

math manipulatives

Singapore and Miquon maths

three-hole punch and binders

printer/copier

crayons/markers/plain paper

our Yahoo list (where we've met lots of local friends)

hmmm, fun question! :)

Here are my must-have items:

*color laser printer

*laminator (Scotch from walmart for $20)

*lots of art supplies (markers, crayons, glue, paper, more paper, anything and everything for kids to glue on to that paper.) :D

*http://www.homeschoolshare.com

*library card

*friends to go on field trips with

*computer (I prefer my laptop and having a separate one for the kids to use, but we *could* do it with one I suppose!)

*CD player

*lots of bookshelves!

For K-8 :iagree:

with the things everyone else has said.

Laptop

Internet

Printer

Library Card

Art Supplies

MS Word

Notebooks

Three-Hole punch

And, I would like to add MS Excel which I use infinitely more often than Word.

If needed, I could homeschool with only these for K-8.

However, for 5th through 8th I would like to toss in my beat up copies of Saxon54 - Saxon87; Writer's, Inc; IEW TWSS; and the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia.

Thinking about this kind of thing always makes me feel silly about buying so much curriculum.:ohmy:

HTH-

Mandy

What I need and don't have because they aren't easy to find anymore. A cassette player and recorder. I am hunting the thrift shops for a decent one for my son.

Do you have any older relatives who might have one in the back of a closet or basement somewhere? That's where we got ours, just by asking. I love it. Kids use it a lot and I plan to use it even more in the future. My beginning reader loves to practice his new reading skills onto the tape, then rewind and hear himself. :)

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread. :D

Do you have any older relatives who might have one in the back of a closet or basement somewhere? That's where we got ours, just by asking. I love it. Kids use it a lot and I plan to use it even more in the future. My beginning reader loves to practice his new reading skills onto the tape, then rewind and hear himself. :)

That is exactly why I want one. I think my little guy would love to read into one and likes recording himself on the computer. I might have one person to ask about the recorder, I should have thought about that.

I will check Walgreens too.....Amazon has one but the reviews are horrible.

This might be a silly question but for those who listed a laminator, what are you laminating? Im just curious, I used one in prek but havent come across anything yet in our 1st year of hsing that would need it. Or maybe I have and just havent thought about it!

Thanks for all the replies, Im loving the lists!

I agree with everyone. I am such an office junkie, a thread like this is fun!

Here's what I've been picking up at the office store lately. I'm going to assume things like computers/laptop/wireless/laser printers/Google/copier are already purchased, especially for a computer geek like me. I could've dittoed Patchfire's list actually.

• 3-ring binders
  • Sharpie retractable fine permanent pens
  • Retractable highlighters
  • Flair felt-tip pens
  • Lyra Ferby color pencils
  • laminator
  • Tons of dry erase boards of all sizes (from very small to very big, I'm lusting after one that is 6 feet long now)
  • Floor globe
  • Google earth
  • iPad
  • well-lit carpeted floor to sprawl out on
  • label machines (I love to label and organize)

Continuing the hi-jack:

It doesn't record for playback, but many early readers love using "phonics phones". I know my daughter's co-op group used them some last year. They are fairly inexpensive from many teacher supplies or you can make one yourself from PVC pipe. Since DD has her own hi-tch version she can use (FM system for her hearing loss) she used that instead, but she loves to hear herself read through it. :)

If you really want somethign with playback, you can find inexpensive digital voice recorders at office supply stores.

Wow I feel old. Back when I started homeschooling we had one computer for the whole family, though at least it was on a cable modem -- I think we had gotten rid of the dial-up by then. Individual laptops didn't happen til the kids were teens.

I survived 11 years homescholing, graduated one without a copier or binding machine or laminator. Good grief, what do you ladies do???!

My must haves for homeschooling:

a globe

a library card

computer, printer and internet

Reference books such as:

• Usborne Science Encyclopedia
  • Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • a good dictionary and atlas
  • area bird and wildlife guides
  • Well Trained Mind, Rebecca Rupp's Homeschooling Day by Day and other homeschool books

lots of colored pencils and markers

lots of Ticonderoga #2 pencils

reams of lined and blank paper

binoculars

magnifying glasses

a car

cable tv and originally a vcr -- now it's the dvr!

bookshelves -- with at least one shelf dedicated to each child's books for school

I'm going into my fifth year and I really think all I would list as a must-have is a good cup of coffee.;) Everything else I can get by without. It's not even the caffeine for me (I drink decaf sometimes). It's the aroma, the hot cup between my hands, the comfort that it bring me each morning; my faithful companion through the hardships of educating my young. :lol: Best of all, I can delicately sip it when things get tense and I need a few seconds to gather my thoughts before responding and saying something I'll later regret. :tongue_smilie:

For those who have been homeschooling for a while now, what are some must have items on your list that make homeschooling so much easier for you? Anything from curriculum, to pens and highlighters, to organizing... anything!!

Large dry erase board to write everyone's assignments for the day on (for my high schooler--allows independent work for the most part. for the elementary schoolers--allows them to see what is left to do so they don't either keep deciding they are done and trying to run off to play after each class, or keep asking when/if they are done for the day

Small dry erase boards (for spelling, math, grammar, diagrams to keep track of Bible/literature/history stories that get complex, etc.)

Pencils/pens/dry erase markers/paper (of course)

Cuisenaire rods--apart from the obvious early elementary math uses, I have occasionally pulled these out to illustrate long division, fractions, decimals, algebra, and even Spanish (as props to act out a story so I could explain it without using as much English).

Lots and lots of real books (for our family, the Bible in particular)

With the above and a math program, I could manage the rest of homeschooling without anything else, though I like having spelling and language arts texts.

I still say:

my iPod (memory work, audio books, dc's violin pieces)

IKEA Billy bookshelves (well ALL bookshelves)

laser printer

my PC timers (love the timer and count up features)

adding:

these flags - how did I function w/o them before?

my laminator :)

these white erasers - when I met them, I broke up w/ the pink ones by Papermate!

magnetic dry erase board

yet to get:

laptop

binding machine

Hmm..how difficult. I love EVERYTHING we have and it's what makes things easier on us..

But I'll pick the top 5.

1. Our Curriculum
  2. Our 3-in-1 Printer/Copier/Scanner
  3. Our Computer/Laptop & Internet
  4. Shelving Storage Unit
  5. Laminator

Now for the extra's that I love nearly as much are..

• Binders
  • Workbox System
  • Filing System
  • File Folders - I use to file things, lapbooks and more!!

iPod

laser printer with copier/scanner built in

The Shorter Oxford -- CD-ROM version (we have the print version too, but this one you can search for derivatives, etc.)

Spanish/English dictionary and Latin/English dictionary

Google Books

Library card

Electric pencil sharpener

IMac Computer with internet access

Laser copier/scanner/printer

Copy paper

Good colored pencils (prismacolor) and good pencils (ticonderoga or black warriors)

Kids-I guess they are pretty important

Everything else is gravy and could be lived without, but I prefer to not to have to try.

3-ring binders

3-hole punch

headphones for the computer or the little one watching a video- a splitter with an additional set is nice too

blank index cards

closed storage

a red pen

wiggle room in the schedule

bookends

good lighting

Cuisinaire rods

The Well-Trained Mind forums

http://www.Homeschoolreviews.com

Times Tales

The Sentence Family

• this may sound strange, but silly putty, to keep little hands busy while i read
  • a laminator, purchased from wal-mart, and the pouches at sam's--very reasonable.
  • a mini-trampoline in the school room for burning off the wiggles between lessons
  • white board and many colors of dry-erase markers
  • beads and crafting activities to keep dd 5 busy when working with ds
  • a chart for each student with the goals for each subject worked out and placed in the front of their notebook

This might be a silly question but for those who listed a laminator, what are you laminating? Im just curious, I used one in prek but havent come across anything yet in our 1st year of hsing that would need it. Or maybe I have and just havent thought about it!

Thanks for all the replies, Im loving the lists!

flash cards, maps, memory verses, pictures that they drew, anything that is going to have multiple hands on them with potential wear and tear.

I still say:

these white erasers - when I met them, I broke up w/ the pink ones by Papermate!

Are these not the BEST erasers in the world!? Believe it or not, I went into the Staples the other day and they had them on sale - a four pack for 90 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!! We now have enough erasers to last until my DS finishes high school! :lol: :D

Oh, for curriculum: Writing With Ease. It covers more ground while still being useful to just about everyone. It is my #1 recommendation.

If you have phonics already well covered, you can use Writing With Ease and a math program you can get your basics covered for times when you just can't handle anything else. Exposure to a wide variety of literature, reading, comprehension, writing skills in all areas, grammar; it is all there in manageable doses.

I'm going into my fifth year and I really think all I would list as a must-have is a good cup of coffee.;)

So...coffee is the first thing, then:

Charlotte Mason's 6 Homeschool Volumes

WTM

Geography Matters (laminated maps, Trailguide to Learning)

Simply Charlotte Mason

dry erase board

laminator

Excel

sharpies

really nice 3 ring binders in black (best ones are from Ultimate Office)

color coded everything

bookshelves!

google & my laptop

pencil and paper (sometimes I forget that I can use that instead of my computer :D)

my husband walking in the door after work!!!!

My must-have list:

block crayons

black pens

sharp pencils

colored pencils in a variety of colors

good markers

loose-leaf paper--for planning

3-ring binders--for storing plans and completed work

manila file folders--for lapbooks

colored paper--for lapbooks

white paper--for notebooks, worksheets, etc.

folders with 3 binder clips--for storing completed and uncompleted work

tabbed dividers--to use in binders

glue sticks

tape--lots and lots of it

3-hole punch

Rod and Staff math

Spell to Write and Read

Oak Meadow

Hands of a Child lapbooks

Homeschoolshare.com

internet access

That's what makes my homeschool run smoothly.