Menu

Do you feel loyal to certain curriculum or curriculum authors?

I'm wondering b/c I feel such a strong sense of loyalty to a couple different curriculum and their authors.

The first is MUS. I've met and talked to Steve Demme, I've listened to him in seminars and love what I hear from him. He's a strong Christian and devoted family man, he has a special needs (Down's syndome) son, his math curriculum is top notch, IMO. His education philosophy really resonates with me and I have a general all around good feeling about supporting him and his product and I find myself always recommending his stuff to people if they're looking for a math program.

The second is IEW. Again, I've met and talked with Andrew Pudewa, listened to his speak at conferences, know he's a devoted Christian husband/father, and his views on education really resonate with me. Like I want to jump up on the couch like Tom Cruise :001_huh: when I hear him speak. I've downloaded/bought everything on his web site I could get my hands on, we use his writing and poetry program and I talk him up whenever I get the chance.

BUT, lately I've been finding myself wanting to check out other math programs, not just for supplements, which I already do a lot of, but am considering (gasp!) completely switching to something different, for a year or two. My dd is dyslexic and we're exploring Right Start this summer and if she likes it enough I'm considering switching her over to it for a year or two before returning to MUS. And as much as I love love love Mr. Pudewa and his writing program, I find myself wanting something a bit more open and go b/c I have so many intensive, one on one programs already b/c of dd's dyslexia.

My problem is that I feel guilty for even considering these changes. :confused1: I feel like I'm being disloyal to my 2 favorite curriculum/authors. Anyone else ever feel like this and did you eventually get over it? I just can't seem to pull the trigger on these decisions b/c I'm feeling guilty.

I did when I first started hsing, was a big Saxon fan. But not now. Textbooks and curriculum changes with the years, influences and owners. I continually re-evaluate and while many of our choices remain constant, that is only because the text still meets our expectations and not out of a sense of loyalty.

SWB. I really wish my kids were a little younger when she came out with the writing program because I would have been all over that.

:iagree: Funny thing is that I read her original version of WTM when my kids were babies but b/c I didn't make the decision to homeschool until they were a little older I didn't jump on SWB's & the classical bandwagon right away. It's been a more gradual process of me figuring out what I wanted for their education.

SWB. I really wish my kids were a little younger when she came out with the writing program because I would have been all over that.

:iagree: eta: And I think it's because TWTM came out just before I started homeschooling. It said everything that I needed it to say. Most of the books before that were too fundie *or* too unschooling/loosey-goosey for me. TWTM was published in 1999, when I was looking into homeschooling because my eldest was 4, too young to start school and was already reading independently. There is a lot more out there now, I think starting would feel more overwhelming.

SWB is all over my house. My 16 dd is so disappointed that her next history text is not ready.

My eldest will be using the ancient one next year. Do you think SWB be able to finish two in two years? No pressure or anything. ;)

I like Steve Demme (I've heard him speak, spoken to him personally, etc), but I don't really feel an intense loyalty to him.

Andrew Pudewa is different. He has ideas that I really, really like and ideas that I think are stupid. For example, he speaks against studying grammar, he says you don't need it to be a good writer. I find this interesting coming from a MUSIC TEACHER. Paul McCartney can't read music, but he is considered one of the greatest musicians and songwriters in recent history. I doubt Andrew Pudewa would suggest that his students don't need to learn to read music just because they *could* be a great musician without it.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

No. I really like certain curriculum and have used them for a number of years because they filled a need. But I don't feel a personal connection with them. Perhaps it is because I have not met the actual authors?

Yesterday I went to the homeschool store to buy one science book and came home with a totally different one by a different publisher. Dd8 found a very similar book that had the same basic content but in a format that resonated more with her. I had no problem switching.

Stanley Schmidt

ETA: "Affection for" would be closer than "loyalty." So I guess there's no one.

Edited by nmoira

I do feel a little loyal to Living Books Curriculum because they are from Michigan. It's not a good reason to feel loyal, but there you have it. :D That being said, I don't think we will use them this year because I have enough stuff to put good stuff together on my own and I think I know how I want to do it. I'm *hoping* it will be less expensive than buying and entire year of LBC. We will see how that works out in reality.

Andrew Campbell. Two of my all-time favorite homeschooling books come from him. LCC and Living Memory. Not exactly curricula, but if he were to publish something else, I would probably automatically buy it.

SWB. Not a complete groupie, but enough so that I've learned to trust what she says for the most part.

Memoria Press has also generated a deep connection w/me. I just plain like their products.

It does help when you meet someone in person.

Laura

Mostly I feel loyalty to my kids. But I do find myself gravitating more toward a few homeschooling authors, yes, and I have more respect for some than for others. SWB is definitely on my happy list.

:iagree:

I would really only say I am highly loyal to SWB, because I know enough about her methods, thinking, processes, background etc. to pretty much blindly trust anything she says :lol: Also, she gives us this space and so much latitude, and she's such an incredible good sport about all of it.

I'm also a big proponent of RightStart because it has been such a wonderful program and method so far. Even when I've thought the lessons had just gone off the deep end, I've closed my eyes and had faith and seen the amazing results in spite of my skepticism. However, if the method stopped working for DD7 or turns out to be a poor fit for my DD4, I'll have no problem finding something else that does.

I am really developing a fond respect for the Somervilles (TOG). I was quite impressed recently when some *stuff* from this board overflowed onto the TOG board, and they handled it (from my limited pov) professionally and responsibly. I just found myself impressed by the whole thing.

Marcia Sommerville seems very real about her homeschooling journey and does not come off all "fairy dust and rainbows." KWIM? And I can't ignore the fact that dd asks to do our 'Tapestry stuff' (dd's words).

I am also pretty loyal to the curriculum Singapore Math. I have been astonished a few times by dd's grasp of math concepts that I thought would be asking a bit much for her to understand and then she would surprise me.

I have great respect for Steve Lambert and his wife Jane (author of Five in a Row), but FIAR never came together for us. I was a "groupie" on their message boards for years. I finally gave up. I think it was an organizational thing on my part. I could never get it together. I still have all of the books and manuals, so I'm thinking about giving it one last try with my youngest.

Andrew Campbell. Two of my all-time favorite homeschooling books come from him. LCC and Living Memory. Not exactly curricula, but if he were to publish something else, I would probably automatically buy it.

Do you have his Iliad Study Guide?

You could call me a Plaid Dad groupie too. :D

I'm really starting to like SWB's approach to writing.

Also I enjoy CAP products. We're using their Latin and Logic programs. For some reason the personality of the company just clicks with me and ds.

SWB for the most part, because her products are such good quality, and I so enjoy how she writes. I have reservations because I can't throw all my chips on the table. There is enough evidence that she is either not willing or not able to discuss her views on creationism that leave me wondering.

Guest Cindie2dds
I felt (stupidly) loyal to Sonlight until recently. My eyes were opened.

Hi, Natalie! I would love to know what you are using now, especially for Science.

Although many authors deserve high praise, the one I feel a particular loyalty to is Michael Clay Thompson, perhaps because we have been using his materials for a good while before he became popular over here. His love of language and learning is evident in all his material and I continue to have moments of sheer delight as we progress through his curriculum.

I'd have to say that I'm pretty loyal to Sonlight, even though I'm not using them wholesale anymore. I have just about all their readers :o). Also I love Timberdoodle. From the time I first started about 13 years ago, I have loved all their stuff. I get games and quirky things from them. I'm pretty loyal to Singapore math.com also. WTM as well. Other than that......RR here I come!

Kayleen

Although many authors deserve high praise, the one I feel a particular loyalty to is Michael Clay Thompson, perhaps because we have been using his materials for a good while before he became popular over here. His love of language and learning is evident in all his material and I continue to have moments of sheer delight as we progress through his curriculum.

I've got the Chicago hs convention coming up next month and SWB will be there (I may feel more loyal to her after listening to her). I also saw MCT vendors will be there as well. I don't know if Michael himself will be there, but I'm excited to put my hands on his curriculum after hearing all the buzz about it here. :D

If it helps any, I have met and taken a class from the writer/creator of RightStart and I think you would like her and her philosophy also. She wants kids to enjoy and love math... it makes her sad to hear that some kids dread math.

I bet you're right. We've only begun using RS but so far I like what I see. I also want my my kids to enjoy and love math. I just can't help but like all these authors who put out such great stuff! I think I'm a junkie and in need of help. ;)

I feel loyal to WinterPromise. I think it's because last time I called, Don remembered me and my whole homeschool story. I also have a special fondness for the people who were on the WP YahooGroup when I was on it. (Hi SnowWhite!) It was the first homeschool group I didn't feel out of place in, and most of us have talked to the Brooks, I think, because WP was smaller then. WP is a little family and I can't betray them.

Yes. There are several things that have worked for all 3 of my kids, all of whom have different strengths, weaknesses and learning styles:

1. Singapore Math; used this well before I started homeschooling.

2. SWR (Wanda Sanseri's version--I always seem to get the acronym wrong); I taught all 3 to read with this, and use it for spelling until we run out of spelling words. Again, I used this even before we officially homeschooled, on the theory that learning to read is too important to be left to a professional.

3. Rod & Staff grammar. This is a bargain, and it does the job.

I also feel some loyalty for WinterPromise, despite the (well-deserved) bashing they get on here for customer service issues. We used AS I and II, the originals, our first 2 years of homeschooling, and really enjoyed them.

Terri

I'm wondering b/c I feel such a strong sense of loyalty to a couple different curriculum and their authors.

BUT, lately I've been finding myself wanting to check out other math programs, not just for supplements, which I already do a lot of, but am considering (gasp!) completely switching to something different, for a year or two. My dd is dyslexic and we're exploring Right Start this summer and if she likes it enough I'm considering switching her over to it for a year or two before returning to MUS. And as much as I love love love Mr. Pudewa and his writing program, I find myself wanting something a bit more open and go b/c I have so many intensive, one on one programs already b/c of dd's dyslexia.

My problem is that I feel guilty for even considering these changes. :confused1: I feel like I'm being disloyal to my 2 favorite curriculum/authors. Anyone else ever feel like this and did you eventually get over it? I just can't seem to pull the trigger on these decisions b/c I'm feeling guilty.

As a vendor (who hopes she has loyal devotees out there!:tongue_smilie:) I wanted to give you permission to test other waters. Not everything is perfect for all children all the time. Don't feel guilty at all. We as curriculum providers want more than anything what is best for you and your child. If we're included in that, great! If you chose to go elsewhere because it's better for you to do right now, that's fine too!