Menu

For those of us with Dads that are gone...

My dad died just 3 years ago by taking medication he had a lethal allergic reaction to- he was just 53. Its still really hard-- I miss his calls:crying:

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. My dad was only 56 - he was in a car accident. You made me think of my dad's phone calls. He was always so aware of not "bothering" us once we were adults. That totally flew out the window when I became pregnant. He would call at least every other day just to check on me.

My Dad died in a car accident when I was just 21. He would have been an amazing grandfather. I miss him for my children; but mostly I miss him for myself.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. My dad was only 56 - he was in a car accident. You made me think of my dad's phone calls. He was always so aware of not "bothering" us once we were adults. That totally flew out the window when I became pregnant. He would call at least every other day just to check on me.

Its hard when they are young and do not die naturally. I still cry. My dad also didnt want to bother me. Now that he is gone, I wish he would "bother" me. He had this habit of somehow ALWAYS calling right when I started doing dishes. Alot of time when I do dishes I just cry. Its hard.

:grouphug: to both of you. :crying:

This is my first Father's Day without my Dad. I miss hearing him call me "Daddy's Little Girl". I also miss his laugh. I am also missing my FIL today who died 4 years ago. I miss talking to him. I hate that my girls are growing up without grandfathers. We lost both of our fathers well before their times because of cancer.

My dad died of lung cancer in October 2006. I miss the sound of his voice and his very dry sense of humor. I have basically adjusted to him being gone (though I still hate it) but if I dwell on the fact that he and my youngest dd will never know each other, I pretty much dissolve. :sad:

Edited by Alphabetika

Dad died of cancer in 1990 aged 44. I miss the things I never got to experience, him walking me down the aisle, him enjoying his grandchildren, but mostly a relationship with him as an adult, I imagine a relationship with parents changes quite a bit when one becomes an adult, but that is not something I got to experience with Dad at all, and only for a very short time with Mum.

:grouphug: to all who have lost their fathers. Special :grouphug: to those who have lost their children's fathers.

My father died when I was just a baby, so I miss what I never had - the father-daughter relationship. I was fortunate to have good father figures in my life as a child and young adult, but sadly, the two men who filled those roles passed away several years ago.

My husband experiences sadness today also, as his father died when he was 10 years old, and years later, it still affects DH so very much. It's odd, but our shared experience of parental loss brought us together, and it helps us get through tough holidays like today.

We'll be having a low key kind of day, filled with lots of extra attention for my DH, and lots of hugs and kisses from our daughters. Plus, we'll let my DH sleep late which is the ultimate gift. :001_smile:

My dad died of cancer in 1994 at the age of 38. I was 16. I still miss him so much. I miss his hugs. I miss that my own children will never really know him. But mostly, I miss our talks. We could talk about anything.

:grouphug: to everybody missing their fathers today...

This thread is making me cry! I woke up today missing my dad. He was 82 when he died. He'd fought in WWII as pilot for the Navy in the Pacific. He was married to my mom for 52 years. Together they had 13 children, only 9 of whom are living. He battled alcohol for a long time (after the death of his only son) but he eventually got over that. He was a good man who helped co-found an organization to help mentally retarded adults (my youngest sister is Downs). He worked up until the bitter end and he was so incapacitated from strokes. He never got over the death of my mother (that's when he started having stroke after stroke). I miss his wisdom, his sense of humor, his kindness, his intellect. He looked like John Wayne in his youth and every time I see a John Wayne movie or photo I miss him terribly. Every time someone makes a silly pun it reminds me of him.

Now I've made myself even sadder.

Hugs to all of you without your dads.

My dad died almost 3 years ago from Pancreatic Cancer just a few days before his 73rd birhday. I miss him. Whenever something good or bad happens I reach for the phone to call. My kids miss their grandfather. There is always an ache in my heart on Father's Day.

My dad died about 2 1/2 years ago from Altzeimers. I cant watch old Clint Eastwood movies, read about Billy the Kid or Frontier times (his favorite subject to write and research) without crying. I hurt mostly because he was so sad all his life and he never got what he deserved. I spent Memorial Day going through his family research papers and while I could see his dementia in the way he wrote or repeated things, I could see he really lived in the past because the present was so painful for him. I wish I knew this sooner and loved him much more.

My Dad has been dead for almost 3 years now. That last Father's Day was non-existent, as my Mom had just gotten out of the hospital after having a very serious stroke. (My father died within 2 months of my Mom's stroke -- what a crazy time that was).

I was very fortunate to be in my 40s before he went. He spent most of my life (from the time I was 8) coming back from catastrophic illnesses.

I miss the way he always sounded glad to hear it was me when he answered the phone. He would always say "HEY!" with such warmth in his voice. :)

I also miss his stories. I never met his mother, as my grandmother died a couple years before I was born. However, through his stories, I have grown up knowing her.

My dad died 37 years ago. I was in kindergarten, he was 59. He'd had MS since before I was around and died of complications related to that. I have few memories because of the illness. It makes me sad. I'm glad that dd has a wonderful dad and we get to make Father's Day a happy one again.

I am glad you thought of this post. I am enjoying reading about everyone's father. My dad passed away over 10 years ago and for the first time I am formally acknowledging him with a post on my blog. If anyone cares to see it it is on my family blog the second post down under the post I made of my husband.

blessings,

tricia

My Dad just passed 7 weeks ago at age 67 from complications of Post polio syndrome. He was such an amazing man who started 2 businesses, was married to my Mom for 40 years and 1 day, and raised 5 children all from his wheelchair! He was never handicapped in the eyes of those who knew him. I miss his quiet strength. He was/still is such an example to everyone who ever knew him. The one thing that has kept me going is knowing that I will be walking with him in heaven some day!!!!

My dad died in October 2008. He had Alzheimers and Parkinson (my poor mother) but what finally took him was a lung infection. He and Mom would have celebrated their 50th anniversary this year. When we had his visitation, it was an amazing testament to how beloved he was. People were lined up through the Church and down the street for 4 hours just to pay their respects. Though it annoyed me as a teen, what I miss most is listening to him tell and retell and retell his stories.

Daddy has been gone 4 years now. A cheerful, hale fellow well met kind of guy, he was a scientist to the core, a lover of life, a mountain climber and whistler of polkas. He died at 97, and was, in death as in life, brave and hopeful.

I remember, age 8, going for a walk in an industrial part of a nameless town we stopped at during our travels. The rest of the family was back the motel, and we went for some exercise through some gravely back lots of underused factories. We bumped into a girl my age and size. She wanted to run a foot race with me, and my father marked off the distance, and got down by the finish line and dropped his arm and shouted go. We both ran like the wind, so it was close race, and he declared her the winner. We went on our way, and she back to heavens knows what kind of house in that area. I said "Daddy, didn't I win?".

"Did you see her clothes?" he asked. I recall she had grubby tattered sleeves.

"Yes" I said.

"That was a girl who needed to win a race." And we said nothing more. He had a knack of making one sentence, here and there, count for so much more.

1986. I will always miss his pithy responses to those who forgot why they went to med school. He took his Hippocratic oath and Catholic education to heart and lived what he espoused. His humor, clarity of thought and unequivocal devotion to healing the sick are the things I remember most. He was 46 when he died.

:grouphug: To all who are missing their dads today.

My dad died 8 years ago this month. He had been retired just a few months before suffering a massive brain stem stroke. He was 65. What I miss most is his vitality (he just could not sit still. . .definitely ADD) and love of life. He was always the life of the party. . .the extreme extrovert. He knew everybody, and everybody knew him! I am just the opposite but I loved spending time with him. I think he was the glue that held our family together because I've noticed the past few years our family gatherings have become fewer and fewer. Kinda sad.

I grew up not knowing my grandfather (my dad's dad) because he died of a heart attack before I was born. Sadly, no one really talked about him. I have determined that my children and grandchildren will know what 'Pup' (my dad) was like because I'm gonna share who he was with them. Anytime something triggers a memory, I share because he was an amazing dad and granddad! Yes, I miss him and I miss talking with him. :crying:

Daddy has been gone 4 years now. A cheerful, hale fellow well met kind of guy, he was a scientist to the core, a lover of life, a mountain climber and whistler of polkas. He died at 97, and was, in death as in life, brave and hopeful.

I remember, age 8, going for a walk in an industrial part of a nameless town we stopped at during our travels. The rest of the family was back the motel, and we went for some exercise through some gravely back lots of underused factories. We bumped into a girl my age and size. She wanted to run a foot race with me, and my father marked off the distance, and got down by the finish line and dropped his arm and shouted go. We both ran like the wind, so it was close race, and he declared her the winner. We went on our way, and she back to heavens knows what kind of house in that area. I said "Daddy, didn't I win?".

"Did you see her clothes?" he asked. I recall she had grubby tattered sleeves.

"Yes" I said.

"That was a girl who needed to win a race." And we said nothing more. He had a knack of making one sentence, here and there, count for so much more.

Wonderful, wonderful story. :grouphug:

My dad committed suicide four years ago in October, right before my birthday. He was 56, and refused to get help for his depression. I miss both his hugs & his phone calls. If I close my eyes and imagine it, I can feel him hug me & I can smell him.

Thank you for starting this thread :grouphug:

Thanks for this thread. :grouphug: My dad died 21 years ago; he was totally healthy, took an afternoon nap, and never woke up. He was 56 and one week short of his official retirement from the Air Force. I miss his response when I phoned him: "Hey there, Gorgeous!" There are still times when I wish I could plug into his wisdom, and I wish my children had enjoyed his company.

Guest ToGMom

My dad passed away in October 2001 due to a blood clot after surgery.

I still have 2 of my dad's flannel shirts -- and when I'm having a really bad day, I put one of them on. They remind me of the safety of his arms...

I miss his smile, his laugh, his hugs...and sometimes when I see his truck sitting out back, I can almost see him driving in. When I sit in his rocking chair, I can almost hear him telling stories about his family and growing up...:crying:

Thank you for this thread. My Daddy died almost 13 years ago of Cancer at age 51. My middle son was 1 and doesn't remember him. My oldest has fond memories of playing with him and going to the movies. My youngest obviously will never know him :( I miss him dearly.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has shared a part of their dad! I think I started this thread last night because I was feeling down, but coming here throughout the day to read your stories has helped. So many of them made me remember more stories about my dad and it made me feel good to have so many wonderful memories with me today. Thanks and :grouphug:!!

To the OP- thank you for starting this thread. :grouphug: Hugs to all who are remembering their fathers today.

My dad died in January 2003 at the age of 64. He was the victim of a senseless act-beaten to death by a 16yo in broad daylight. (The boy had been off his psych meds for 3 days and snapped).

I miss my dad's sense of humor. He was always the life of the party. My oldest was only 2 when he died. I regret that my children would never know him. My fondest memory of him was just before he died. He ordered flowers for my birthday and had them delivered to my home. (I had just turned 32). That was my first and last time I received flowers from him.

Even though he died tragically, I have to give God all the Glory. My father accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Saviour a few days before he died. How totally cool is God! :D

My dad committed suicide four years ago in October, right before my birthday. He was 56, and refused to get help for his depression. I miss both his hugs & his phone calls. If I close my eyes and imagine it, I can feel him hug me & I can smell him.

Thank you for starting this thread :grouphug:

I'm so sorry. How horrible for you. I am this way with my dad's voice - I can just hear it. :grouphug: