Menu

If you were stopping by my Girl Scouts' bake sale on Saturday...

Maybe something gluten-free. I was at a farmer's market once and thrilled to death to find someone selling gluten-free pecan pies. I think I paid $4 for a slice. It was very good! Bake sales are bummers when you can't have gluten. But maybe gluten-free people will steer clear of a bake sale anyway.

Not brownies from a box mix--I can't even get the children to eat those.

REAL homemade cinnamon rolls--can't pass those by --or better yet sticky pecan rolls mmmmmmm

I made fruit pizza for the childrens church this Sunday--big hit

Banana bread

lemon bread with lemon frosting

Loaves of actual fresh baked bread--

pies to take home (rhuebarb, apple, cherry etc...)

SOMETHING TO DRINK!!!!!!! lemonaid, water bottles, tea, iced coffee --nobody thinks of this

Lara

Maybe something gluten-free. I was at a farmer's market once and thrilled to death to find someone selling gluten-free pecan pies. I think I paid $4 for a slice. It was very good! Bake sales are bummers when you can't have gluten. But maybe gluten-free people will steer clear of a bake sale anyway.

:iagree: I find that if I bring something vegan or something gluten free to an event it means a lot to those who might not otherwise be able to find anything they can eat.

Our troop did a bake sale at a public event last fall. The obvious best seller were the cookies. There was a big tray of snickerdoodles, another of chocolate chip, and one of something else I can't remember. Snickerdoodles were gone first. There was a pricing deal I can't quite remember--a certain price per cookie or you could get a bag with 4 or 5 (can't remember) at a price that was cheaper per cookie. Most people went for the bag.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I had to google Anzac biscuits - they sound yummy...

I'm making banana bread this morning, dd will be making puppy chow (Chex muddy buddies to those people whose school mascot is not a bulldog:D) And I'm off to look at gluten free and vegan recipes - great idea!

And yeah - last time we did this, two moms brought box-mix brownies. :confused: Which sold only slightly better than the box-mix muffins with fake blueberries. :confused:

The girls are raising money to travel to Savannah, GA this summer.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I had to google Anzac biscuits - they sound yummy...

I'm making banana bread this morning, dd will be making puppy chow (Chex muddy buddies to those people whose school mascot is not a bulldog:D) And I'm off to look at gluten free and vegan recipes - great idea!

And yeah - last time we did this, two moms brought box-mix brownies. :confused: Which sold only slightly better than the box-mix muffins with fake blueberries. :confused:

The girls are raising money to travel to Savannah, GA this summer.

That's awesome!

When our GS do bake sales, the best sellers are mini-loaves of quick breads (banana, lemon poppy, cranberry) and mini-pies.

ETA: The worst sellers are the store bought cookies. Yes, we have girls/families bring that in!

A sweet yummy treat that is very low calorie, has no fat and no sugar/carb. Hee hee. I'm on a diet. I can dream :)

:iagree:

Can you sell an imaginary cookie? Have a jar set up with a picture of the best cookie you can find and "sell" it for .25. This might work for those on diets (like me) who would like to contribute but wouldn't want the calories.

Weight Watchers has a candy turtle recipe that might sell during a bake sale. I think it is a small pretzel topped with a Rollo and then baked for a couple of minutes. They are 1 WW point and might sell for a quarter.

Good luck with the sale.

Can you believe that the health department shut down a bake sale here recently. They said it is illegal to sell anything that was not prepared in a commercial and licensed kitchen. So you could get by with the store bought cookies, but not fresh homemade ones. They made the kids get rid of everything and wouldn't even allow them to give it away. Crazy!!!

Fancy-looking swirl cupcakes. Store around here are charging $3 - $4 for a single cupcake! So my dd and I looked up some videos online for how to decorate swirl cupcakes. We found some easy directions, and she made a beautiful batch of expensive-looking cupcakes for an event. She sprinkled a few nonpareils on top. The whole thing was easy and inexpensive, and you could probably charge $2 each.