Menu

Do you prefer using a variety of books or one publisher for all subjects?

Guest BookLover

I can't really compare the two options, because I've always used a variety of publishers rather than all from one. My feeling is that Joan Cotter is an amazing math educator, so I want HER math curriculum. SWB is a great history teacher, so I want HER history program. It might not necessarily be true, but I guess my feeling is that a jack of all trades is a master of none.

I've actually like using one publisher for many of our subjects. If I had to use one publisher, it would be Rod & Staff. I use it for most subjects already with the exception of science and history. I have used their elementary science courses which are very thorough, but I prefer the Elementary Apologia series. I also don't use their history/social studies books because of their pacifist views. Other than those 2 subjects, I use what is offered by R&S. Of course, they don't offer anything outside of the basics like Latin, Greek, etc.

I like the R&S materials because they are well-written and provide a solid foundation in whatever they teach; the price is right too. Another advantage is that the subjects are coordinated with each other and reinforce concepts taught across the subjects.

Since R&S stops in 8th grade (for the most part), I will use more variety in our books as we enter the high school years.

We have used a great variety of publishers over the years. I have used both Christian and secular materials. Honestly, each of my children is different and I really use different materials for each of them! (I wish the materials worked for all of them - sigh!). Sometimes I use materials based on topics covered and where we are in our journey, sometimes I use materials to cover learning gaps, and sometimes I use materials because they come highly recommended. We too get bored with a publisher of the same subject for more than one year in a row.

Pam

I use books from all different publishers. I use A Beka math... but I couldn't imagine using them for anything else. And since most of our science and history are spines we use a ton of other books for those subjects too. (Although I find myself buying a lot of things published by Peace Hill Press).

once I find a good fit for a subject area, I usually stick with it to a large extent.

So, for instance, we will probably use Rod and Staff for grammar and for writing mechanics until we finish the series. We will probably continue with Writing Strands and Writer's Jungle to some extent, indefinately. (Although I imagine that at some point DD will join an IEW coop for a year, just because I think that that would be a good experience for her. But we would slow down the others, not stop them.) We will probably continue with Saxon math through Algebra 1 but not beyond. We are definately finishing SOTW! Really! Even though we have slowed down to add in US history via Steward Ship unit studies and living books, especially Marrin and Foster. We spent some long happy years using Real Science 4 Kids and "How the ... Works" and will do RS4K chemistry level II, but now it's time to commit to something else for the rest of the time--Apologia, or Rainbow, or that one that Ria likes so much.

I really like finding a good author and buying or borrowing many of his books. So in that respect, I'm pretty loyal. Having said that, I don't necessarily have DD read others by the same author if they don't seem as engaging--for instance, I loved "From the Mixed Up Files" and "Jennifer, Hecate" by E. L. Konigsburg, but not the rest of her books. I have no objection to DD reading them, but I'm not going out of my way to prod her to do so. Same with Zilpha Keatley Snyder.

So I guess I have loyal inclinations, but not blind loyalty.

I have always used a variety...I like reading on the boards all the great recommendations over the course of a year and I jot these down and then at homeschool conferences, I look at these products and read about them online. I think it is a great way to "specialize" your curriculum just for you and that is one of the great things about homeschooling!

that I liked for all subjects (if I were going to use all textbooks, lol).

I like R&S for English, spelling, math, science and history.

I like BJUP for upper grade history and science.

ABeka's science isn't too bad, either.

For teaching children to read and spell, I'm sold on Spalding (Writing Road to Reading). I can use R&S's Spelling by Sound and Structure but I have to overlook a few things.

I don't really care much for ACE, CLE, or Alpha Omega, although I could use AO for English, history and Bible if I had to.