Menu

Help! I need clothes. I don't want Victoria's Secret, but

I don't want to look like a frump either.

I've been going around looking too "mom" for a long time now. My husband just rolls his eyes.

Do you have any suggestions? I generally check out Lands End and Eddie Bauer but haven't been too wowed this year.

I need a bathingsuit too and don't know where to start. I liked one at Eddie Bauer, but the top and bottom came to $130.

Thanks,

Alley

I'd start with someplace like TJ Maxx or Marshalls. They have cute clothes, good prices, and a varied selection. If you have a Stein Mart they have nice clothes too. Stylish, but made for women not girls. We don't have one here, but they used to have good sales.

Bathing suits can be found there as well. Kohls had some cute suits for women too. I also find that JCPenney always seems to have a varied selection for swimsuits. Best to shop early in the season though.

Sometimes just changing the cut of blue jeans helps. Instead of the high waisted "mom-jeans" get a mid rise instead. And if you are worried about your shirt riding up, then the longer tee's will cover you. Get a more flared leg. And look for some cute shoes. Shoes can change the whole look of an outfit;

Dark denim is popular and very slimming.

I love clothes from Title 9 and Athleta, if you're okay to order online... but they can get a little pricey. If you're near a mall and live in the states, Macy's can have great sales at times... and H & M has stylish clothes at low prices. Actually, I've found some nice basics at good prices at Kohls too.

Start cheap, then work your way up.

I have had good luck with Old Navy recently. Specifically, I like their "Sweetheart" cut jeans. They are kinda mid-rise, but they do not cause the dreaded muffin-top. You can get some really fun, cute things there for pretty cheap. Think layers.

Next, I love Gap. Apparently their designers finally realized that women have (gasp!) curves and have finally made jeans to fit said curves. I just bought a really cute shirt-dress there. Not "momish", but not 18yo college freshman either.

Banana Republic is really nice. I don't shop there because I am a mom who lives on a farm in Nebraska. I only dress up for church, and then it isn't too fancy.

I know you said you weren't wowed by the Land's End catalogue, but I really love their swimsuits. Cute, covers everything, and not too "matronly." I know the Eddie Bauer suits are expensive, but if you need any "help" around the mid-section, you should seriously consider their suits. They will work miracles and last forever. I don't skimp and a good bathing suit. I figure if I am going out in public almost naked I better be wearing something I feel good in.

I have a few standard places that I can always find something in...Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and J Crew. I know they can be a higher price point than their counterparts but I always give my example of having spent 500dollars at the BR outlet about 4 years ago and everything I bought then is worn frequently and is still in fabulous condition.

Quality. Plus I lean toward more conservative colors like black and gray.

I also have made out well at the JCrew outlet. I'm a "never pay retail" kind of girl so I love places like TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Ross. I make out fantastic there for everyday wear, shoes, purses, etc.... Bathing suits are reasonably priced in Spiegel catalog this year but I bought a Jensen in Ross for $13.

have fun. Clothes are fun!

I love TJMaxx for clothes. They have fashionable, stylish clothes at great prices. And they are organized by size, so you can just stand at your size section and flip through the rack, picking up whichever pieces you like to go try on.

Kohl's usually has a good selection of bathing suits.

I love Coldwater Creek and they often have great sales, and, most of all, very helpful sales personnel.

I seldom have much luck shopping in stores :confused:. I prefer online.

This is THE best fashion book ever. I learned so much.

how-to-never-look-fat-again-charla-krupp.jpg

Now ... I have heard really good things about this site. If I lived in the U.S., I would subscribe to it, for at least part of the year.

This is what someone wrote about it.

This is a paid weekly service but I can't say enough good things about it. Leslie, the owner, is the sister of Leanne Ely from Flylady.net and Savingdinner.com. I pay $9.95 for a 3-month membership and I receive twice-weekly articles with specific links to items that will look good on me (at websites like J C Penney, Coldwater Creek, Kohls, White House Black Market etc), including how to put them together. I love to watch What Not To Wear, but this site actually helps me to dress better!

She will also, when you sign up, "type" your body and if you send a photo she will make personal suggestions for improving your appearance.

I've paid for a subscription a couple of times, usually right before the season changes when I know I need some new things. I do think it's helped me save money by buying things that really work for me.

I know you said you weren't wowed by the Land's End catalogue, but I really love their swimsuits. Cute, covers everything, and not too "matronly." ... I figure if I am going out in public almost naked I better be wearing something I feel good in.

:iagree:Land's End suits are the greatest! They really do keep you covered in all the right places and don't ride up or bag down or any of that. Well worth the money, ime!

I love Coldwater Creek and they often have great sales, and, most of all, very helpful sales personnel.

I seldom have much luck shopping in stores :confused:. I prefer online.

This is THE best fashion book ever. I learned so much.

how-to-never-look-fat-again-charla-krupp.jpg

Now ... I have heard really good things about this site. If I lived in the U.S., I would subscribe to it, for at least part of the year.

This is what someone wrote about it.

This is a paid weekly service but I can't say enough good things about it. Leslie, the owner, is the sister of Leanne Ely from Flylady.net and Savingdinner.com. I pay $9.95 for a 3-month membership and I receive twice-weekly articles with specific links to items that will look good on me (at websites like J C Penney, Coldwater Creek, Kohls, White House Black Market etc), including how to put them together. I love to watch What Not To Wear, but this site actually helps me to dress better!

She will also, when you sign up, "type" your body and if you send a photo she will make personal suggestions for improving your appearance.

I've paid for a subscription a couple of times, usually right before the season changes when I know I need some new things. I do think it's helped me save money by buying things that really work for me.

This book looks great-thanks for posting about it!

My suggestion is to go shopping with a friend who dresses how you want to look. I tend to steer toward the same style of clothes and having my fashionable sister with me one time really helped me pick out some clothes that were not my usual frumpy housewife look. also, try on clothes that you would never wear. I don't think it's so much price, but getting out of a rut.

Beth

I love to find a good deal and so I do a lot of my shopping (when I get to!:D) at consignment stores. Where I live there a several really good ones and they get their merchandise from all over the country. They sell a lot of the really expensive brands for a fraction of the cost.

I also agree with finding someone to go with you ~ I am not good shopping by myself! It helps to have another's opinion.

For bathing suits, I prefer tankinis ~ they are great for bodies having gone through multiple pregnancies!:lol:

Stores like Dillards and Macys have great end of season sales also - I love to go to Dillards when they have their 70% off sale (with the add. 20% off your total purchase!)

Other good stores - Talbots, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Gap, etc.

Have fun!!:D

I love clothes from Title 9 and Athleta, if you're okay to order online... but they can get a little pricey. If you're near a mall and live in the states, Macy's can have great sales at times... and H & M has stylish clothes at low prices. Actually, I've found some nice basics at good prices at Kohls too.

Ditto Title 9, Athleta, and Kohls.

I stay away from Banana Republic because everything needs ironing. Clothes from Title 9 and Athleta rarely need ironing. Kohls is hit or miss.

If you live near Chicago I can point you towards several consignment shops that sell designer clothes at good deals. I have had so much fun discovering brands and style I never tried before. My 8 year old dd got me started when we were at the mall one day and she convinced me to try on jeans at Buckle. My style has completely changed and has been affordable because of consignment shops.

I hear you! There doesn't seem to be much in the way of options between teenybopper and middle aged frump. I'm not 15 any more but I'm not 50, either. Where are all the clothes for women who want to look like grown ups but who also work hard to maintain a decent figure & therefore don't want to look like they're wearing a tent?

Start cheap, then work your way up.

I have had good luck with Old Navy recently. Specifically, I like their "Sweetheart" cut jeans. They are kinda mid-rise, but they do not cause the dreaded muffin-top. You can get some really fun, cute things there for pretty cheap. Think layers.

Next, I love Gap. Apparently their designers finally realized that women have (gasp!) curves and have finally made jeans to fit said curves. I just bought a really cute shirt-dress there. Not "momish", but not 18yo college freshman either.

Banana Republic is really nice. I don't shop there because I am a mom who lives on a farm in Nebraska. I only dress up for church, and then it isn't too fancy.

These three stores are all owned by the same company so it is not surprising that if you like one you would like the others as well. They are just directed at different price points markets, least expensive to most: Old Navy, The Gap and then Banana Republic.

Do you have a Plato's Closet where you live? It is an upscale resale shop aimed at the younger crowd. Tons of brandname clothes at slightly more that thift store prices. All of my girls have clothes from there. About every six months or so they go through all their clothes and pick out the ones they don't want anymore and then sell them back to the store and use the credit to buy more clothes. Many of the clothes they get are brand new with price tags still attach. The rest are in very good to excellent shape and they have inventory turn over every day. Definitely worth a visit if you have one close.