Menu

Onlyme--Care to tell us a bit about yourself?

I have noticed a lot of your posts, and I wondered if you wanted to tell us a bit about yourself. How long have you homeschooled? What curriculum to you use? How old are your kids? Anything else that might be interesting to a homeschool community?

Take care.

:D

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed a lot of your posts, and I wondered if you wanted to tell us a bit about yourself. How long have you homeschooled? What curriculum to you use? How old are your kids? Anything else that might be interesting to a homeschool community?

Take care.

:bigear:

Actually, Dot, I think that a LOT of people are curious.

I know I am. I've known Nakia for quite awhile now from another venue and I know her to be a very genuine and kind person.

I'm in Nakia's fan club as well.

Thanks girls! I love you both!!

I never said Nakia wasn't kind or sincere, but I know it's not out of "kindness" when a person asks here if they are homeschoolers. If she's worried about being stalked or perhaps worried about the person's own safety, then contacting the mods would be best. Otherwise, it sounds a bit fishy all around.

To each is own, tho.

Goodness-now we've got fan clubs? What is this, junior high? I'm not defending anyone here, just wondering all the silliness.

I do not feel that I am being unkind or silly. I am also not worried about being stalked. I think you might be reading too much into my post. This person, onlyme, has been pm'ing me and quite a few other board members with bizarre messages and posting in a suspicious way. I honestly wonder if onlyme is in fact a real person or a troll. Of course neither onlyme, nor anyone else who posts here, is required to "announce" themselves. But it is, after all, a homeschooling community. You will notice that onlyme has not responded or posted since I posted this thread.

OK, you piqued my interest, so I just read all 152 of "onlyme's" posts. The vast majority are about about tattoos, piercings, and haircuts; a few are about the immigration legislation in AZ; and the rest are meaningless posts of a few words (mostly in the "A to Z" threads).

Not. one. post. about homeschooling. Or parenting. The writing style actually reminds me of that person who posted a lot of questions about whether people liked long hair on boys and was trying to encourage people to post pix of their teen boys with long hair.

This is clearly not a homeschooler (unless it's a bored homeschooled teen with access to mom's computer, LOL). You'd think there'd be more fertile ground for trolling than a classical education board, wouldn't you? :001_rolleyes:

Jackie

I'm new to forums, boards and on-line discussions; I have been trying to become sensitive to the nuances of proper board etiquette. So I looked up this term "troll" as it has now appeared in two recent threads. Here is the explanation I received:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

I don't understand. Why would someone do this? Wouldn't it take a serious amount of time? What is the point? Is this a frequent phenomenon? Thank you for the education.

I'm new to forums, boards and on-line discussions; I have been trying to become sensitive to the nuances of proper board etiquette. So I looked up this term "troll" as it has now appeared in two recent threads. Here is the explanation I received:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

I don't understand. Why would someone do this? Wouldn't it take a serious amount of time? What is the point? Is this a frequent phenomenon? Thank you for the education.

What's the point? The point is that some people LOVE to get other people all riled up. They love to start and maintain drama.

OK, you piqued my interest, so I just read all 152 of "onlyme's" posts. The vast majority are about about tattoos, piercings, and haircuts; a few are about the immigration legislation in AZ; and the rest are meaningless posts of a few words (mostly in the "A to Z" threads).

Not. one. post. about homeschooling. Or parenting. The writing style actually reminds me of that person who posted a lot of questions about whether people liked long hair on boys and was trying to encourage people to post pix of their teen boys with long hair.

This is clearly not a homeschooler (unless it's a bored homeschooled teen with access to mom's computer, LOL). You'd think there'd be more fertile ground for trolling than a classical education board, wouldn't you? :001_rolleyes:

Jackie

Oh yeah, that post about boys with long hair was freaky!!

I'm semi new here, I have lurked for a long time. so I'm not familar with the Well-trained mind trolls. But they are out there and yes it is amazing that people have time to do that, but it is how they get their jollies I guess.

As to why-they probably enjoy watching the train wreck that they can cause. It probably isn't frequent but I have been on quite a few boards/forums and have seen it happen on just about all. Most are able to shut them down quick though

Believe it or not, this is some people's idea of fun. (People who don't have a life, obviously.) Some like to stir up drama, and some just get a wierd feeling of power from "putting one over" on people, even if they don't say anything inflammatory. Like a teenager pretending to be a homeschooling parent, for example, who thinks "Ha! I fooled them! S*ckers!"

Pathetic, huh?

Jackie

Jackie

Yes, Jackie, yes! I had forgotten about that poster but there was another one awhile back who had a very similar style of writing and was posting under 2-3 names at the same time. This one and 1-2 others right now look like a repeat performance even to contacting members with bizarre pm's.

Yes, Jackie, yes! I had forgotten about that poster but there was another one awhile back who had a very similar style of writing and was posting under 2-3 names at the same time. This one and 1-2 others right now look like a repeat performance even to contacting members with bizarre pm's.

Just in case you didn't get my PM I will post it here, too:

Goat suitcase pretty pink bow. Nutella, kittens: all in a row.

Don't EVEN act like you don't know what it means. ;)

:lol:

wait, you got that line in a pm? how bizarre! :laugh:

OK well, I don't have time to live my real life, much less a pretend life to make people I don't know angry. Weird.

Believe it or not, this is some people's idea of fun. (People who don't have a life, obviously.) Some like to stir up drama, and some just get a wierd feeling of power from "putting one over" on people, even if they don't say anything inflammatory. Like a teenager pretending to be a homeschooling parent, for example, who thinks "Ha! I fooled them! S*ckers!"

Pathetic, huh?

Jackie

Really? So you think it's weird? Different strokes I guess.

Take care.

Mama,, you seriously creeped me out there for a minute. I sign "Take care" frequently and I mean "Be good to yourself, take your vitamins, hug your kids, play frisbee with the dog, and check out the sunset over a glass of wine." But then there is the "Take care" that means "avoid dark alleys, drinks given to you by strangers and hairy tolls."

Mama,, you seriously creeped me out there for a minute. I sign "Take care" frequently and I mean "Be good to yourself, take your vitamins, hug your kids, play frisbee with the dog, and check out the sunset over a glass of wine." But then there is the "Take care" that means "avoid dark alleys, drinks given to you by strangers and hairy tolls."

LOL. Then, there is also the 'take care' that really means "watch out for goats bearing jars of Nutella"........in dark alleys.

I regretted that as soon as I posted (too mean?), darn it! Oops, excuse the swear word, iykwim. That quote button is a pain. :tongue_smilie:

The "take care" is a signature for, um, the topic of this thread.

I'm all about a good writing program as long as we don't have to delve into any controversial topics like crockpots, shoes in houses or shopping carts. :001_smile:

We don't need no stinkin trolls to rile us up. We've got enough crazy on this board to keep anyone going 24/7. And that's without the politics. :001_smile:

Mama was imitating onlyme:

phathui5:

So was it your last tat as well?

Take care.

Hockey Mom:

Sort of, mother-daughter bonding, right?

Take care.

Nakia:

So you just had it done, then?

Take care.

It is kinda creepy, isn't it? :lol:

Jackie

Mama was imitating onlyme:

It is kinda creepy, isn't it? :lol:

Jackie

Jackie, I did know that she was imitating onlyme. However, for a minute I thought Mama was serious.:lol::lol: For some reason, that "Take care" was making me gulp each time I read it. The way you quoted it makes me think of that movie, Someone to Watch Over Me. There's a scene where the husband is looking at three towels that are hanging up in the bathroom and he says to his wife, "Is everything as it should be?" She quickly rearranged the towels so that the bottoms of them were all level. Gulp.

Edited by swimmermom3
Added

Jackie, I did know that she was imitating onlyme. However, for a minute I thought Mama was serious.:lol::lol: For some reason, that "Take care" was making me gulp each time I read it. The way you quoted it makes me think of that movie, Someone to Watch Over Me. There's a scene where the husband is looking at three towels that are hanging up in the bathroom and he says to his wife, "Is everything as it should be?" She quickly rearranged the towels so that the bottoms of them were all level. Gulp.

Wasn't that movie called "Sleeping with the Enemy"? It had Julia Roberts in it.

The way you quoted it makes me think of that movie, Someone to Watch Over Me. There's a scene where the husband is looking at three towels that are hanging up in the bathroom and he says to his wife, "Is everything as it should be?" She quickly rearranged the towels so that the bottoms of them were all level. Gulp.

Yeah, when you read all 152 posts in a row (including around 100 'take care's) there is a creepy stalkerish vibe to it. But I'm cracking up at the possibility that some bored teenager was trying to sound like a middle-aged, female homeschooler and accidently ended up sounding like a stalker in a made-for-TV movie. :lol:

Jackie

Yeah, when you read all 152 posts in a row (including around 100 'take care's) there is a creepy stalkerish vibe to it. But I'm cracking up at the possibility that some bored teenager was trying to sound like a middle-aged, female homeschooler and accidently ended up sounding like a stalker in a made-for-TV movie. :lol:

Jackie

:lol::lol:

Jackie

:lol::lol:

After reading the posts here I couldn't resist a search. I hope onlyme chimes in with some sort of response.

When I see the inappropriately placed 'take care', it makes me wonder if they read the forum in a different language that doesn't translate every thing 'just quite right'. So, either they think it is an appropriate response or they are confused by the translation. LOL

I can't imagine how boring ones life must be to find value in making nonsence comments on a message board. LOL

Wasn't that movie called "Sleeping with the Enemy"? It had Julia Roberts in it.

Oh that's right! Then you know exactly the level of creepy I'm talking about. Occasionally my dh says that when he comes home from work...but he can't keep a straight face. Probably because he has to step over and around teens, books, cats, and science experiments to get his glass of wine. "Yes, honey, everything is exactly as it should be!":D

Oh that's right! Then you know exactly the level of creepy I'm talking about. Occasionally my dh says that when he comes home from work...but he can't keep a straight face. Probably because he has to step over and around teens, books, cats, and science experiments to get his glass of wine. "Yes, honey, everything is exactly as it should be!":D

When my dh comes home on days like that he says "I guess you lost today's battle." :lol:

For those who arent familiar with trolls, a few years ago, on the old boards (ancient history now), a mentally sick woman sucked up a lot of sympathy, and I think even some donated money, when she put out her story of woe over weeks and I think months, including finally her teenager daughter getting pregnant in the church toilets. In retrospect...man, we were naive, but this was a first troll experience for many of us. But...that's why some people are onto the troll thing around here pretty swiftly.

When I see the inappropriately placed 'take care', it makes me wonder if they read the forum in a different language that doesn't translate every thing 'just quite right'. So, either they think it is an appropriate response or they are confused by the translation. LOL

I can't imagine how boring ones life must be to find value in making nonsence comments on a message board. LOL

That's what I was thinking - that it was someone for whom English is a second language (or third or fourth for that matter) and the translation was bad.

Hi guys; haven't read through all this thread, which I just saw, but for a while I used stuff from the PNEU, I think it was called. Two kids in the house. Actually I think geographical knowledge is quite a gap in ppl's minds; I started a number of threads about geographical knowledge, which seem to have been quite popular. Someone said I might not have learned English in North America: that's right. I lived in more than one country, guys; let me know if my style of writing is somehow off the wall (I learn sth all the time!). BTW, some the PM stuff I'm reading about must relate to someone else; I don't have any other screen names.

I got to head out soon; have a great day.

I never knew "Take Care" was considered such an odd salutation.:confused: I use it all the time when writing to people I don't really know, usually in emails I guess. It's less personal than "Love," not as business-like as "Sincerely,". I usually see "Take Care" or "Best Regards" or nothing at all from people I don't know well. To me "Take Care" is just a general phrase along the lines of "Have a Good Day".

BTW-English is my first and only language.

:001_huh: We can recommend writing programs that can fix that.

Although bizarre, I think it is very pleasing to the ear. :lol:

All this is a good reminder for all of us that the Internet is a public place. We do not know who is reading our posts. People lie about name, gender, age, location, and about everything else. I am floored by the intimate information people plop on message boards and blogs, information about themselves and about other people.

The most recent post to this thread from the individual in question is, as my children would say in current vernacular, sooooo random.

Hi guys; haven't read through all this thread, which I just saw, but for a while I used stuff from the PNEU, I think it was called. Two kids in the house. Actually I think geographical knowledge is quite a gap in ppl's minds; I started a number of threads about geographical knowledge, which seem to have been quite popular. Someone said I might not have learned English in North America: that's right. I lived in more than one country, guys; let me know if my style of writing is somehow off the wall (I learn sth all the time!). BTW, some the PM stuff I'm reading about must relate to someone else; I don't have any other screen names.

I got to head out soon; have a great day.

Um...ok...thanks for clearing that up.

:confused: Thats scary!!!

Now, it is scary....then it was just mom's chatting about their kids with long hair...specifically boys. i am glad my long haired son is now a short haired adult and very capable of kicking butt should the need arise! I didn't think it was weird then since we often share some pretty personal stuff around here...and if you want pics of long haired homeschooled boys...all you would have to do is a google image search....kwim?

It kinda stinks that the one place you can fellowship and let your hair down a bit...can turn into a troll heaven....and it makes you hesitate to share ANYTHING...right down to your current booklist....

That really STINKS!!!!

Faithe

I never knew "Take Care" was considered such an odd salutation.:confused: I use it all the time when writing to people I don't really know, usually in emails I guess. It's less personal than "Love," not as business-like as "Sincerely,". I usually see "Take Care" or "Best Regards" or nothing at all from people I don't know well. To me "Take Care" is just a general phrase along the lines of "Have a Good Day".

It's not odd at all in the way you're using it. It's just when you see it used over and over by someone who's not saying anything personal or meaningful that there's a disconnect there, KWIM?

So, what does your tattoo look like?

Take care.

Do you think long hair looks cute on boys?

Take care.

What is the capital of Bulgaria?

Take care.

What do you think about tongue piercing?

Take care.

Onlyme has never posted any information about him/herself, but was asking a lot of people about their tattoos and piercings. Odd posting record for a homeschooling parent, wouldn't you say? And he/she sounds remarkably like another poster we had a while ago who started several threads about boys with long hair and asked people to post photos of their preteen boys with long hair. When asked to provide info about herself and if she was a homeschooler, she (if it was a "she") provided similarly vague answers.

Jackie

It's not odd at all in the way you're using it. It's just when you see it used over and over by someone who's not saying anything personal or meaningful that there's a disconnect there, KWIM?

Onlyme has never posted any information about him/herself, but was asking a lot of people about their tattoos and piercings. Odd posting record for a homeschooling parent, wouldn't you say? And he/she sounds remarkably like another poster we had a while ago who started several threads about boys with long hair and asked people to post photos of their preteen boys with long hair. When asked to provide info about herself and if she was a homeschooler, she (if it was a "she") provided similarly vague answers.

Jackie

Yeah, that's a little odd. I think most people don't use any closing salutation on a message board (especially if they have a siggy). I was involved with the piercing/tattoing thread and she was posting a lot asking for some weird details. I didn't realize that was a recurring thing.