Menu

OMG We Won An iPad!!!

We attended a mothers's day fireworks show/fundraiser tonight, unbenonced to us our baseball signup fee included one free raffle ticket.

Who knew?

We were quite surprised when my son's name was called as a prize winner, and then stunned when the prize turned out to be a 32 gig iPad.

We had wanted one so badly, but it just wasn't in the budget. We are all beside ourselves!

Mrs Spy Car and William just read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I'll tell you it feels like we won the Golden Ticket.

Bill (posting via iPad)

Congratulations! We are all now waiting for a review.:D I don't suppose William has to help you with it like Swimmer Dude has to help me with my new laptop...I thought not.

Now that you mention he has already showed me how to do things. The kid is still 5. What are they born with this knowledge???

Bill

That is SO awesome!!! I'll be expecting a full accounting of your ipad related activities soon!:D

Well I'll tell you one thing, I've already downloaded Moby Dick (no groans please :D) and the Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

Bill

I've had it less than an hour, I'll get back to you :D

Bill (downloading some Virtual Piano thing)

I can play Mary Had A little Lamb (badly) on the iPad!!!

Bill (so I'm not musical :D)

That is pretty cool though, musical or not. :lol:

Now that you mention he has already showed me how to do things. The kid is still 5. What are they born with this knowledge???

Bill

No, they are not born with it but are fearless in their pursuit of knowledge. After all they aren't the one who has to pay the Geek Squad repair tab.:tongue_smilie: You just wait, Bill. Your day will come when your son rushes in all excited and informs you, "Hey, did you know that there are hackers that get paid by the government to break into government sites to check their security? What a cool job!" Ask me how I know. I suppose it's better than a fascination with what black markets are and how one turns a profit in them.

I'd guess 1 in 6000, William says 1 in 10,000.

He's better at math than his old man :D

Bill

No, 100%! (Stats joke, sorry.)

Congrats, BTW!!

We have a 18 year old couch, that's how we afforded an iPad. (Our furniture is pretty junky. We move so much it doesn't make sense to buy nice stuff, they mess up things every time we move, so we just keep our junky furniture and buy nice computers, lots of books, and an iPad.)

The iPad is fun. I love the dictionary look up function while your'e reading (double click a word, then click dictionary, instant definition and pronunciation.) Now I just have to figure out how to make it work with a Spanish dictionary and download some books in Spanish.

I like the app abc pocket phonics, handwriting + phonics. We don't have too many apps for it yet, but a lot of books, I love old books.

Edited by ElizabethB

How exciting! Congratulations!

Please keep us up to date on all the things you find you can do with it, especially if you incorporate it into your school day.

What a potential these have for education. I'm not sure how realized that potential is yet, but one can see the future.

I have loaded the Lesson Plans (PDFs) from MEP math, which I'd prefer not to print. So that's one thing that will be handy.

Bill

Congrats, Bill!!

Hee hee, I am posting from my iPad as well.

One big positive: I have downloaded not only the iBooks and Kindle apps, but also Borders (Kobo), and Barnes & Noble... They were all free apps and I can choose which one I like best. Since I had already started a Kindle library, that's the one I've been using the most.

Drawback: I am able to sort of view the threads in these forums using the hybrid view, but am unable to scroll through the little "threaded" window at the top. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it might be a touch screen vs. mouse thing?

Positive: ABC player and Netflix... Very very awesome.

Drawback: K12's OLS uses Flash, and I can't use the iPad to access our school lessons.

Bill, check out the accessories... The case is really good- protects the iPad and also can be used to prop it up for much easier landscape typing. :)

:grouphug:

Bill, check out the accessories... The case is really good- protects the iPad and also can be used to prop it up for much easier landscape typing. :)

Any thoughts on which case?

Since it is technically my son's (:boxing_smiley::boxing_smiley:)

I'd like to find case good for a late 5year old.

Bill (on the lawn)

Bill

My 4yo can show me how to do things on my Palm Pixi. And I'm not kidding!:lol:

Very happy for your family!

Thanks to that lovely OMG I will forevermore hear you talk like
...:lol:

Ha - I'm not the only one! I was just jumping on to say - "Did Bill really just say 'OMG'????"

Of course, that is pretty "OMG"-worthy! Congrats!

Any thoughts on which case?

Since it is technically my son's (:boxing_smiley::boxing_smiley:)

I'd like to find case good for a late 5year old.

Bill (on the lawn)

The one I have is the Apple brand... There might be better ones out there that I haven't heard of yet, but I like this one fine. I think it's pretty tough.. It's kind of rubbery-ish; not leather like the Amazon Kindle cover. And I think it's really neat that it can fold to either protect the screen like a book cover, or fold back to prop the iPad up.

Hmm, 5yo... Maybe a screen protector as well? Zagg makes one: http://www.zagg.com/