Menu

My dog has kidney failure...

Jordi just turned 3. In the past 2 weeks he has dramatically lost his appetite... and at the vet today he weighed only 84 pounds--he should weigh over 120! He is a 'classic' German shepherd... a beautiful black and tan. This morning he was very lethargic--and would not go with me to feed the horse--he did have enough energy to protect the bird feeder from a family of squirrels :tongue_smilie: It was all I could do to take his focus off of the squirrels to get him to the vet... and he will probably NOT come home again...

The vet is trying a few things tonight---but does not hold much hope. Jordi has had chronic kidney issues since he was just over one year old (though he has not had any visible symptoms in the last 8 months)... so it is most likely a congenital issue. His buddy Data has been moping around all afternoon...so has my 8yr old dd...so have I.

Tomorrow morning I get to make the 'tough' decision--to put him down or to try some 'heroic' measures. We don't have the extra money (we are still out $$$ in medical bills and new 'used' car cost due to an accident in March)...I'm trying to hold on to the very small chance that he will stabilize and that he will be able to maintain at least 25% kidney function...even with that his long term survival would be measured in months...

Jordi is such a sweet 'cuddle bunny'... I'm having a HARD time facing the truth...

Jann

I'm so sorry. :( We had a GS growing up, and she was the most beautiful dog. She used to walk half a mile every day and wait for me and my brother to get off the school bus. Back then, the neighborhood dogs used to run loose. Some of my best childhood memories are with 'Lady'.

It's never easy losing a pet. My heart goes out to you and your family.

I lost my 5 yo shepherd mix due to kidney failure on Halloween 2002. She was such a good sweet dog. I so hope your dog stabilizes. I'm still traumatized that we didn't put ours down. My last feeling toward her was to be exasperated that I had to clean up her vomit :confused:

Good Luck,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Many years ago we lost a cat to kidney failure. The decision wasn't hard to make, yet it was soooo hard to make. He'd been sick awhile and by the time we realized something was wrong and tests were done it was obvious he was already dying. He was fairly young--about 6. We still have fond memories of playing fetch with him. (Yeah, our cat would fetch little foil or paper balls and bring them back to us so we could throw it again. :lol: He really should have been a dog!)

Cinder

The vet called to confirm that Jordi is in end-stage kidney failure. He has a few good days left--so we will bring him home later today or tomorrow and then say goodbye.

An ultrasound this morning confirmed that his kidneys had never completely formed--he was born with less than 50% developed--and less than that functioning... and once he was full grown (around 18 months) his body just could not handle it and since then he has slowly gone down hill--but not noticeable to us (for the most part) until last week... he is so stoic!

Data (our white German Shepherd) is really moping around and has not left my side since I got up this morning--this is going to be hard on ALL of us.

Thanks for your prayers and good thoughts.

Jann

ry%3D400

Jordi--Christmas 2009 his ears only go up for squirrels

ry%3D400

Comander Data--Jordi's best buddy

I'm so very sorry. :( This literally brought tears to my eyes. The loss of a beloved pet is with you always. Spoil him with tons of love and bacon.

My Cleopatra will also be waiting at the Bridge to welcome him.

ETA: I purchased this beautiful urn for my Cleo from these people: http://www.4everinmyheart.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MDT&Product_Code=MPPU

They are very nice people to work with, and their product is high quality.

Edited by Hockey Mom