Menu

Food stamps? opinions

I make a food box every month to give to *somebody*. I do this by couponing and it only costs me 10-15 dollars a month. This is a commitment I make to God. I cannot send this box to you. The shipping cost precludes this. I will however transfer my spending to you. If you PM your address I will commit to 10$ every month for the next year, sent to you starting with 20$ as soon as it stops snowing and I can get to a place to purchase a MO. Any time I have extra, I will send it as well. Sometimes you need a miracle, sometimes you are the miracle.

Lara

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None are over 12, but yes. We eat very healthily.

Since you only recently joined, just wondering what curricula you use and how long you have been homeschooling?

Bet ya won't get an answer to this question. ;)

[or what you *will* get is something like: I don't have to to explain myself, it's a free world, I can post wherever I want, etc etc etc]

I am trying my best not to get upset about some of the post that are rude and insensitive. I really pray that you never are in my situation.

As far as making things from home and selling them. Yes it sounds like a great idea in theory, but can you guarantee it will sell on a regular basis. so that I can buy food each week. Because the kids do need to eat whether I make 0 or $100!!

I agree I need to find something for the long haul, but it would not make sense to start school and flunk out because I don't have the time to finish a course!! Not to mention money. Also, I have to find a job after school and in this area no one is hiring. Unless you have a 4 year degree and even then the pay sucks.

After doing some research online I think my best bet would to do transcription, but I would need a seperate computer. And take some courses to learn to be a medical transcriptionist which I could do from home.

Also, the church we attend is very small and 45 min away. They have helped us some but we are a very poor congregation and there is only so much they can do. Plus why should they help us each month when we qualify for government assitance. Why not let the church help someone else in the congregation who can't qualify because they make just enough not to qualify. KWIM

For those have been an encouragement THANK YOU so much!!

I have applied online and have an appointment next week. The social worker I spoke with was very helpful.

:grouphug:

Please don't let internet strangers discourage you.

You don't have to prove yourself to anyone. I respect the work your husband does, and the work you do.

Apply for the food stamps and thank God for providing. You need have no guilt in this.

:grouphug:

Buying healthy food is actually cheaper than buying unhealthy food.

This is completely and totally false. Many unhealthy foods are subsidized by the government in the form of subsidies for corn, wheat and soy. Anyone with the tiniest bit of knowledge about the subject knows this. That's why crackers are cheaper than carrots. It's a fact. Example-a 14 oz box of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch cereal is $1.50. They are able to offer it so cheaply *because* of government subsidies. In contrast, asparagus is $3.12/lb, grapes $3.68/lb and strawberries $5.49/pint.

You could buy 4 double cheeseburgers and an order of fries for what that pint of strawberries costs. Again, this cheap food is *largely* due to government subsidies. If you buy beef in the US, if you buy corn, wheat or soy products in the US, then you are indirectly receiving government subsidies to get cheap food. I don't see how this is really any different from an individual receiving food stamps. You can't really cry foul because virtually all of us profit from these government subsidies.

If someone needs food stamps to feed their family, well, that's what they are there for. Maybe it will mean the difference between eating cheap, processed food and healthy food.

Bet ya won't get an answer to this question. ;)

[or what you *will* get is something like: I don't have to to explain myself, it's a free world, I can post wherever I want, etc etc etc]

LOL I would bet you are right. :lol:

I make a food box every month to give to *somebody*. I do this by couponing and it only costs me 10-15 dollars a month. This is a commitment I make to God. I cannot send this box to you. The shipping cost precludes this. I will however transfer my spending to you. If you PM your address I will commit to 10$ every month for the next year, sent to you starting with 20$ as soon as it stops snowing and I can get to a place to purchase a MO. Any time I have extra, I will send it as well. Sometimes you need a miracle, sometimes you are the miracle.

Lara

Lara- you rock. :thumbup:

I would like to help too, I can do a small one time 'help'. Please send me the info also.

This is completely and totally false. Many unhealthy foods are subsidized by the government in the form of subsidies for corn, wheat and soy. Anyone with the tiniest bit of knowledge about the subject knows this. That's why crackers are cheaper than carrots. It's a fact. Example-a 14 oz box of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch cereal is $1.50. They are able to offer it so cheaply *because* of government subsidies. In contrast, asparagus is $3.12/lb, grapes $3.68/lb and strawberries $5.49/pint.

You could buy 4 double cheeseburgers and an order of fries for what that pint of strawberries costs. Again, this cheap food is *largely* due to government subsidies. If you buy beef in the US, if you buy corn, wheat or soy products in the US, then you are indirectly receiving government subsidies to get cheap food. I don't see how this is really any different from an individual receiving food stamps. You can't really cry foul because virtually all of us profit from these government subsidies.

If someone needs food stamps to feed their family, well, that's what they are there for. Maybe it will mean the difference between eating cheap, processed food and healthy food.

:iagree: One of the reasons we have such horrific rates of obesity in N. America is precisely because unhealthy food is so cheap.

It is possible, however, to eat healthily on a very tight, very small budget. You just have to work pretty hard at it, and be willing to compromise quite a lot.

:grouphug:Foodstamps are there for people who are trying and need assistance. From what you said, that is your family. The reason they have such a bad name is because there are a lot of people who do not try to better themselves and are content in living off the government just because they can <--- that is NOT talking about health reasons! I am talking about people who can work more but chose not to!

I think it would be a good idea for you! Go do it, and dont feel the least bit ashamed! You should NOT be questioned by social workers, homeschooling is perfectly within your legal rights! :grouphug:

I will be praying for your husbands health issues and your situation! But I highly recommend going and applying so you can free up much needed money for other areas!!! :grouphug:

In my experience, this is not true.

Then you guys are eating WAY too many carbs.

According to whom?

The assumptions you are making about people based solely on isolated statements in this thread are astonishing.

In my experience, this is not true.

According to whom?

The assumptions you are making about people based solely on isolated statements in this thread are astonishing.

Especially considering that carbs (pasta, rice, bread, etc.) are way cheaper than meat, fruits, or vegetables.

While I do not believe in relying on government largess for sustenance, I also think that the government has caused so many problems (inflation for instance, a hidden tax on the poor and middle classes) and allows for so much waste, that a person could consider accepting money from the government as part of a "refund" of what politicians have stolen from us through their atrocious management.

The problem with this line of thinking is that the "stolen" money is not sitting somewhere waiting to be refunded. It's gone. There is no money, just a gargantuan deficit.

And that includes food stamps. Regardless of what you or anyone else thinks, the law allows us to get them and we need them, so we do. I *do* think about the taxes that others pay - trust me.

Please, you owe no one any apology. That is what they are there for, and I believe it's why America is blessed. Because we give to those who need. Some people don't like it, but let's see how they complain when life doesn't go as they planned.

Go take them and be blessed. Feed your family and answer to no one-explain to no one why. It's none of their business. Some of us are more than happy to know that good people have the help they need.

:001_rolleyes:

I get what you're saying here. Really, I do. But I can't count the number of times I've seen a religious person say something insulting or mean or snobby, and then try to downplay it with, "Hey, I'm a Christian, I'm a sinner too." As if that somehow makes it okay. It's akin to the people who say things like, "He's a flaming moron with the IQ of my toaster, God bless him," and comes across as completely disingenuous.

:iagree::iagree:

Well I have 3 year old irish twins, so I kind of had that last year...

Calling children Irish Twins is highly insulting to ..anyone, let alone people who are Irish.

Who is anti-FS? :confused: No one on the thread said the OP should NOT apply. Or did I miss something?

Well, Mejane, it appears as if some on this thread lacks compassion for those who need to apply for it. Sadly, the OP humbly came to the hive seeking advice but the thread was seriously hijacked several pages ago by overly critical and judgemental folk with no regard to the additional shame this woman is already feeling.

I am the OP!

I did not know that I was going to start such a debate!:tongue_smilie:

What's the record for the most pages on here.

Thank you for all your support!

From what I have read most people would support my decision. I have an appt next week:)

PS thanks for all the PMs as well.:D

One sandwich per day per person takes care of an entire loaf of bread.
Well we don't eat a sandwich every day.
Sometimes babies come whether you've planned for them or not, even when a person is taking precautions against pregnancy. Furthermore, limiting life choices because a person "might" someday be sick or lose a job doesn't make sense.
You're right, the only 100% effective for of birth control is abstinence. I never said the choice should or shouldn't be made; just that it is a life choice.

You could buy 4 double cheeseburgers and an order of fries for what that pint of strawberries costs.

Strawberies don't cost that much where I shop, and fast food must cost more. It costs $25+ to feed my family one meal of fast food. As I said I spend a max of $100 a week on groceries. If I pretend I don't also buy non-food with that, that's about $14 per day to feed my family. And how long does 4 double cheeseburgers last your family? How long does a pint of strawberries last? The cheeseburgers may seem cheaper in the moment, but if you bought fast food cheeseburgers for every meal for a week, how much would you spend? How much would you spend making healthy food for a week? How much will you spend on health care eating unhealthy, vs how much will you spend on it if you eat healthy? Edited by s0nicfreak

You're right, the only 100% effective for of birth control is abstinence. I never said the choice should or shouldn't be made; just that it is a life choice.

I think if I made this life choice I would be divorced as well as poor;)

I am the OP!

I did not know that I was going to start such a debate!:tongue_smilie:

What's the record for the most pages on here.

Thank you for all your support!

From what I have read most people would support my decision. I have an appt next week:)

PS thanks for all the PMs as well.:D

Good for you, I finally have an appointment for mine next week too. It is helping me to be able to go to college, work part time, and support my 3 kids as I get divorced from an alcoholic husband. I am thankful for all that is given to me without this help I would still be stuck in misery!

It would be lovely if churches/charities could completely take over aid to the poor and leave the government out of it, but I don't see it happening; the problem is too huge.

I will add that I too see this as a wonderful dream, but the fact remains if you have a church community that is destitute, where in the world are they going to get the money to help each other? The assumption that a church can support those in needs, presupposes that it's congregants have the financial means to do so.

:iagree: One of the reasons we have such horrific rates of obesity in N. America is precisely because unhealthy food is so cheap.

It is possible, however, to eat healthily on a very tight, very small budget. You just have to work pretty hard at it, and be willing to compromise quite a lot.

And you have to deeply love all kinds of beans. :D

Having a family before you can (or having one bigger than you will ever be able to) take care of them if you get sick or lose your job is a life choice.

But Sonic, you wrote in the thread about logic that "women shouldn't experience menstrual cycles because they should either be pregnant or breastfeeding all the time." Can't have it both ways....

Edited by bookfiend

And yet, no answer to my question :D

Yep, as someone of primarily Irish heritage, I take offense.

Ă¢â‚¬ term Irish twins is used to describe two children born to the same mother within 12 months of each other or born in the same calendar year. Given that it is a somewhat derogatory term, it is generally not used in print or in polite society. As is the case with many terms with derogatory origins, some people use it without thinking about the implications of the deeper meaning. Learning about the roots of these terms and the meaning behind them can help people to decide whether or not they are appropriate for common use."

But Sonic, you wrote in the tread about logic that women shouldn't experience menstrual cycles because they should either be pregnant or breastfeeding all the time. Can't have it both ways....

Not without adopting out so many babies you'd have to start your own agency. Which would be rather odd. Though with the atrocious PMS I get, there are three or four days a month that this will seem like an attractive idea.

Well, Mejane, it appears as if some on this thread lacks compassion for those who need to apply for it. Sadly, the OP humbly came to the hive seeking advice but the thread was seriously hijacked several pages ago by overly critical and judgemental folk with no regard to the additional shame this woman is already feeling.

I don't think anyone meant to shame the OP. These types of threads have a way of morphing into debates about the larger issue. I hope the OP realizes that.

Strawberies don't cost that much where I shop,

Do you live where I live? Obviously not. That's on the cheap side. My point was not to debate the exact price of strawberries but their price relative the price of processed, junky food.

and fast food must cost more. It costs $25+ to feed my family one meal of fast food. As I said I spend a max of $100 a week on groceries. If I pretend I don't also buy non-food with that, that's about $14 per day to feed my family. And how long does 4 double cheeseburgers last your family? How long does a pint of strawberries last? The cheeseburgers may seem cheaper in the moment, but if you bought fast food cheeseburgers for every meal for a week, how much would you spend? How much would you spend making healthy food for a week? How much will you spend on health care eating unhealthy, vs how much will you spend on it if you eat healthy?

Again, you can buy 4 double cheeseburgers and a large order of fries for around $5 at McDonald's. That's not anywhere close to $25. This is a fact, it is not an assumption, it is not an estimate based on my personal experiences. That means you could feed a mom and 3 kids a double cheeseburger and portion of fries 3x/day for $15/day. Not only is it cheap, but it doesn't require time and energy for shopping or cooking.

Are you talking about *me*, are you talking about you or are you speaking generally? It's hard to tell. I'm speaking *generally*. I realize you are new here but there have been many, many threads about how much people spend on groceries. I am a pretty average spender, and I spend about $800/month. I cook 3 meals a day during the week, including lunch. Toiletries, cleaning supplies and such are figured into that cost but *much* of that expense goes to produce. That *is* a choice but it is *also* a luxury that I can afford.

There are *many, many* factors that come into play as far as food costs-family size, age of kids, but one of the biggest is geographical location. Depending on where one lives, one may or may not even have *access* to fresh produce. Many inner city areas do not have grocery stores, only convenience stores. There are moms and dads who each work 12 hour days. They don't always have the time and/or energy to put into feeding their family that I have. It's a basic act of human compassion to realize that not everyone has the same luxuries that I enjoy.

eta (because the pp eta):

How much will you spend on health care eating unhealthy, vs how much will you spend on it if you eat healthy?

I don't spend money on health care, I receive government-funded health care, as do many people who cannot afford their own medical care. What you can do for you and your kids in the moment often supersedes any lofty ideas about better health. Again, I'm not in that category but I know people who are.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Ă¢â‚¬ term Irish twins is used to describe two children born to the same mother within 12 months of each other or born in the same calendar year. "

I've never heard this term. I'm Irish, too, but not offended. I actually find it kind of... amusing.

I haven't had time to read more than one page of replies (goodness, there are over 20 pages!). I don't know what the others are saying. But, we've been on food stamps for years and years. I remember my mother-in-law telling me to apply....but I didn't for the longest time. I don't know why. I can remember when I was a kid we had food stamps for a time. That was when you literally had little stamps you'd tear off the sheet while in the checkout line (embarrassing). Now it's like a credit card that you sweep. Well, it was silly to have waited so long to apply because I don't know what we'd do without it. We could have qualified probably years before we initially applied and could have saved us a lot of money on food. Back in the day when we first applied we had to go in every few months and renew paperwork. It was a pain, but it was worth it. Now it's even easier. I don't know if this is with every state, but now we don't even go in. We do everything either over the phone or through the mail. I can't remember off hand if we renew paperwork every six months or yearly. It's easy enough. Copy's of last 3 months pay check stubs (or a copy of your Schedule C taxes if self-employed) and just verifying previous information (that usually never changes anyway). I have said soooo many times I don't know what we'd do without it. It's a real blessing for those that are in need. We also had WIC with all 3 kids. My baby is over 5 so now we don't get that. They will not ask you anything about how you're raising your kids. I think the only thing we've ever been asked about them is their birth dates, social security #'s (I *think*, I could be wrong on that), age and what grade. Our case worker has never made a comment either way as far as homeschooling. I say......go for it. If you qualify then that's really great to help you out as long as you need it. You'll probably wish you did it a long time ago. :001_smile:

And yet, no answer to my question :D

Ă¢â‚¬ term Irish twins is used to describe two children born to the same mother within 12 months of each other or born in the same calendar year. Given that it is a somewhat derogatory term, it is generally not used in print or in polite society. As is the case with many terms with derogatory origins, some people use it without thinking about the implications of the deeper meaning. Learning about the roots of these terms and the meaning behind them can help people to decide whether or not they are appropriate for common use."

Thank you. I had never heard this term until a few weeks ago on this board. My Irish roots may have left that country long ago, but I did find this term moderately offensive.

Thank you. I had never heard this term until a few weeks ago on this board. My Irish roots may have left that country long ago, but I did find this term moderately offensive.

Lion, did you change your avatar? LOL my world doesn't spin properly when the pictures change! :D hehe

We are vegan and we don't eat "speciality" vegan food (fake burgers, pre-made cheeseless pizzas, fake cheese substitutes, etc.) except for once in a blue moon (my dd being allergic to soy assures that we don't incorporate these largely soy-based, budget-busting foods into our diet). Our biggest "frivolity" is almond milk, a gallon a week, at a cost of $6.98.

Other than that, we eat fresh fruits, fresh and frozen veggies, dry beans and peas, and whole grains (much of it bought in bulk).

We could eat a crap diet for far less than the $120 a week I spend to feed five people (2 adults, a teen, and two under-tens). And I skimp a lot to meet that $120 budget.

It is not true that healthy foods are cheaper. They are more expensive, because they are not subsidized.

Tara

We are vegan and we don't eat "speciality" vegan food (fake burgers, pre-made cheeseless pizzas, fake cheese substitutes, etc.) except for once in a blue moon (my dd being allergic to soy assures that we don't incorporate these largely soy-based, budget-busting foods into our diet). Our biggest "frivolity" is almond milk, a gallon a week, at a cost of $6.98.

Other than that, we eat fresh fruits, fresh and frozen veggies, dry beans and peas, and whole grains (much of it bought in bulk).

We could eat a crap diet for far less than the $120 a week I spend to feed five people (2 adults, a teen, and two under-tens). And I skimp a lot to meet that $120 budget.

It is not true that healthy foods are cheaper. They are more expensive, because they are not subsidized.

Tara

Honestly, the whole, "you can eat healthy as cheaply as eating junk" is one of the biggest lies known to man.

I've been broke. Scarily broke. And given the choices btwn fresh fruits and making it through the week with enough food to put in mouths, the fresh fruit took a back seat. That stuff is darned expensive, and we go through it like water.

Thankfully, I acquired cooking skills along the way that made cooking from scratch an ability I hadn't had, and we're better off now...but cheap and filling food stretches way further than expensive 'healthy' food.

mommaduck-I don't know, but it's a universe that is ticking me off.

Let's look at some examples of extremely frugal menus.

Hillbilly Housewife's Emergency $45 weekly menu for 4-6

This menu shows it is possible to eat relatively healthy for cheap. However, there are some drawbacks. It is a lot of work. It involves baking your own bread, making your own tortillas, etc. It involves *no* fresh fruit and very little in the way of fresh veggies. It also involves *no* fresh meat. Its label is also sort of wrong since she originally made this menu in 2006. In 2009 she recalculated the prices and found it would cost about $70. It would be even more if you lived in a place where food prices are high like Alaska, Maine, Hawaii, NYC, etc.

Here is the "thrifty" food plan from the USDA

It does contain some low-cost fresh fruits such as bananas and apples, it contains store-bought breads, fresh meats and even fish. But, it also contains a number of heavily processed foods. For a family of 4 with a child 6-8 and a child 9-11 it would cost around $134. It costs about $15 more per child if you have teens. If you live in Hawaii it would cost $217 if you had a child 6-8 and a child 9-11. Alaska is somewhere in between. eta: these are government figures from the USDA website, not figures I'm pulling out of the air.

BTW-I mention Hawaii because that's where I live. I also work with my church's foodbank, including doing shopping for the foodbank. I'm intimately aware of how much cheap, shelf-stable food costs. Shelf stable is important for homeless families and/or families that live in shelters, hotels and other places that lack a basic kitchen.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

But Sonic, you wrote in the thread about logic that "women shouldn't experience menstrual cycles because they should either be pregnant or breastfeeding all the time." Can't have it both ways....

You are making up quotes. I never said should. I said if things were done naturally. I never said that was better or worst.

Again, you can buy 4 double cheeseburgers and a large order of fries for around $5 at McDonald's
And that would not feed my family (especially since most of my family is vegetarian). It would not provide any family the nutrients they need. Therefore they would be hungry more than 3 times a day, and would buy additional things to eat. And even $15 a day is more than I spend on healthy food.

And that would not feed my family (especially since most of my family is vegetarian). It would not provide any family the nutrients they need. Therefore they would be hungry more than 3 times a day, and would buy additional things to eat. And even $15 a day is more than I spend on healthy food.

How is your family being vegetarian applicable to a general situation? It's not. It has no bearing on what a non-vegetarian family could do. AGAIN, nutrients sometimes take a backseat to filling bellies. AGAIN, that may be true FOR YOU, but it is not possible *for everyone* because of work, geography, all sorts of other factors that you are CHOOSING to ignore.

AGAIN, nutrients sometimes take a backseat to filling bellies.

The belief that filling bellies in the moment has nothing to do with how much you spend on food is the problem! If you eat nutrient-rich food, you will eat less overall, and therefore spend less. If you just fill your belly now with junk food, you will be hungry again and eat more junk food! The whole point of being hungry is that your body is craving nutrients.

The belief that filling bellies in the moment has nothing to do with how much you spend on food is the problem! If you eat nutrient-rich food, you will eat less overall, and therefore spend less. If you just fill your belly now with junk food, you will be hungry again and eat more junk food! The whole point of being hungry is that your body is craving nutrients.

Are you going to address the many other points I made in those two posts?

Are you going to address the many other points I made in those two posts?

How is your family being vegetarian applicable to a general situation?
A veggie burger cost more than a double cheeseburger. Also, it was relevant because we were talking about feeding a family with double cheeseburgers, and I was explaining why I couldn't do that.

It has no bearing on what a non-vegetarian family could do.
A non-vegetarian family could just as easily eat what I eat. A vegetarian family, on the other hand, can't eat 3 double cheeseburgers.

AGAIN, that may be true FOR YOU, but it is not possible *for everyone* because of work, geography, all sorts of other factors that you are CHOOSING to ignore.
It's not that I am choosing to ignore them, I am just choosing not to say that these are all changeable things, and things that one knows when one begins a family, at risk of sounding more snarky.

Which other post would you like me to address.

But those alternatives aren't without cost either. In order to start an online business LEGALLY, you must have a business license, which costs money. You must pay income taxes on the money that you earn. Then there's the startup costs for materials. If she were sewing products to sell, fabric tends to run a pretty penny. It's currently April, and most people likely aren't going to be shopping for knitted hats/mittens/scarves, etc. Then there is marketing costs in order to get your name out there so people actually buy the stuff. Then if you are making products for children with ANY adornments on them, you must meet the CPSIA requirements for lead or phalates. You have to label those products (additional costs) and possibly pay to have your products tested.

CPSIA has been a real bite to MANY WAHMs that have relied on their skills and creativity to help make ends meet. Personally, due to what I've seen of larger companies harassing WAHMs, I do believe that there are some larger people behind the wording as they have the money and power to drive such a bill.

mommaduck-I don't know, but it's a universe that is ticking me off.

I was there a long time ago. That's why I quite responding. She doesn't get it. You can't convince her.

On another topic: Lactational Amoerhea works well for some women and not at all for others. My SIL and I are direct opposites on how this works.

It applies in that if a family only has a set amount of money and a set number of mouths to feed, they will feed them what they are able to feed them regardless of "if" they are still hungry later (and no, it's not true that everyone is more hungry later). They will most likely NOT buy more junk, because they don't have the money...they spent it on that meal.

It applies in that if a family only has a set amount of money and a set number of mouths to feed, they will feed them what they are able to feed them regardless of "if" they are still hungry later (and no, it's not true that everyone is more hungry later). They will most likely NOT buy more junk, because they don't have the money...they spent it on that meal.

Ok, but then they have empty bellies later in the day, while if they had just gotten healthy food, they would have full bellies all day.

Spending $5 on double cheese burgers for breakfast, and then $5 on double cheese burgers for lunch, is more than spending $10 on healthy ingredients in the morning to make both breakfast and lunch and having a little left over. People just see that $10 is more than $5, and don't think about the fact that they will be spending $5 more later.