Menu

all natural or organic hot dogs

With summer coming, and hot dog season upon us, I was wanting to buy organic or all natural hot dogs...but I can't spend money on food my kids won't eat...if anybody has expereince with this and can tell me where and what brand their kids will eat, I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!

Kathy

I was just thinking that I would love to find a hot dog without nitrates. Is that possible, or is that what makes a hot dog taste like a hot dog?:001_huh:

If you're just looking to avoid the nitrates and don't care if it's organic or not, look for "uncured" on the label. The Applegate Farms and Coleman Natural hotdogs that have been linked in this thread are all uncured. You can find uncured bacon as well.

Jackie

I have purchased Applegate Farms organic hot dogs, which looked okay, but the kids didn't really like them.
These are the top-ranked all-beef hot dogs for my family. They LOVE them !
We buy the AppleGate farms dogs, but they are ridiculously expensive! Note there are two types, one comes in a 12 oz. package and the other comes in a 16 oz. package. The dogs in the 16 oz. package are slightly spicier, but the kids have gotten used to them. I like the larger size.
Thank you! I hope our Costco gets these. We will bug them about it! Do you mind saying where you live?

On the occasion that we buy Hotdogs, these are the ones we buy for our Grandkids as well. They like them. Hubby is an Engineer in a small family owned sausage plant..and he approved them. We of course buy from his plant when we will use up 10 pounds quickly, which is rarely. They don't have small cases available.

Hebrew national is not a brand he would ever let me buy...I don't recall why, but he had been in many a sausage plant and I trust his judgement. Any brand that has MDsomething on it, don't buy. That means the meat has been mechanically deboned and you don't want it. Nuff said about that.

They are probably kosher (according to Kashrut law) but your are right in that this does not mean they are organic.

Our Trader Joe's has a nitrite/nitrate free hot dog that the guys love and I like it too. It is a proprietary TJ brand, however it does not explicitly say "organic" either - only nitrite/nitrate free and all beef.

Can someone give me a rough estimate on the cost and the location (freezer or fresh meat) in the store for the ones at Costco? I like the idea of being able to pronounce all the foods on an ingredients list.

I can't recall the price, but I do remember it is a bundle of 3 - one pound packages. They are located near the bacon in the cooler...in the cheese aisle. Usually. You know how they love to move things around and send you on a "treasure hunt"!

Oscar Mayer has a new Natural hot dog in the store now. It has no nitrates (nitrites?) nor fillers. It's not organic, but I can pronounce the ingredients list and they aren't expensive at all.

can you trust a company like Oscar Mayer to be honest with their packaging...or are they just jumping on the organic, all natural band wagon. Just wondering.

Kathy

This thread is very enlightening! I would have just quipped, " 'Natural' and 'hot dog' in the same phrase? HAHAAA!" (and then gone on to grill a couple of dogs because just talking about this is making me want some) but really, since we eat them so rarely maybe it's worth it to try one of these brands. Huh. Cool!