Menu

Ok, I'm all for pushing good eating habits, but does this go too far???

I'm all for encouraging, even pushing kids when it comes to eating healthy but I totally believe that should be the PARENTS duty...not the school. A better idea would be to educate the parents on how to feed their children, and themselves healthy.....you know that kid that misses Oreos is going home and gourging on them because they're forbidden!

Changing one meal is going to make only a small difference if at home they eat the junk they were denied, but I also wonder how stressed out some kids are as they open their lunch sack worried that the teacher is going to snatch it away and give them peanut butter instead! (and gee, whatever happened to no pb in schools because of allergies?). And while white flour tortillas aren't perfect, the beans and cheese inside make up for it, and the PB and HONEY that they substitute has a lot more sugar and won't sustain the child nearly as long as the proteins of the beans and cheese. And unless the child has weight issues, the white tortilla shouldn't be an issue when the rest of the meal is good. Where do you draw the line? What about those (like me) that don't like PB....I'd go hungry rather than eat it. That certainly isn't healthy for a young child.

I think the desire for the kids to eat better is wonderful....but the delivery is wrong. Just wrong.

Oh well, reason #456,876,789,125,973 that I homeschool, lol.

TUCSON - As her second-grade students take out their lunches, teacher Leticia Moreno quickly spots two with forbidden food - a burrito and quesadilla made with white flour tortillas.

"I will get them peanut butter and honey on whole wheat," Moreno says, taking away the offending meals.

Moreno is a teacher at the Children's Success Academy, a 10-year-old school on Tucson's south side for children in kindergarten through the fifth grade. The school is unique for its food rules - it bans not only white flour, but refined sugar and anything it defines as processed food.

"It has to say 100 percent juice. If it just says natural,' that's not allowed," 8-year-old third-grader Jacob Price says as he bites into an apple. "I wish we could bring more kinds of food. I like Oreos."

But Oreos will never blight the Children's Success Academy as long as school director and founder Nanci Aiken is in charge.

Aiken, a scientist who holds a doctorate in cell physiology and once worked as a cancer researcher at the Arizona Cancer Center and Johns Hopkins Medical School, is an unabashed food cop.

"I feel like the Wicked Witch of the West a lot of times, but it makes such a big difference," says Aiken, who is also president of the governing board for Tucson's El Rio Community Health Center - Arizona's oldest and largest community health center.

"When you eat sugar, especially by itself like a candy bar, you get a rush and crash. An apple will not give you instant gratification or a rush, but it lasts longer," Aiken says. "An apple and a piece of cheese is ideal - your blood sugar will go up gradually and then will go down gradually over a period of hours."

The rules seem drastic to many parents sending their children to the school for the first time. Since the school has no cafeteria, all students must bring their own lunch.

"It is challenging mainly because in grocery stores it's so hard to find anything without sugar. When you look at the label, so many things aren't allowed," says Breanna Chacon, 30, who has two children at the school.

"It really does make a difference. It balances them out," says teaching assistant Isabelle Medeiros as she confiscates a student's packaged Ritz crackers and cheese spread. "I will send this home with a note, explaining why it isn't allowed."

The school's emergency food supply of "yes" foods like peanut butter and honey is provided through donations and fundraisers.

Among the "no" foods: flavored yogurt, canned fruit, American cheese, processed meats, white bread, peanut butter made with sugar, and virtually all packaged crackers except Triscuits, because they are baked with whole grain.

Not everyone supports such extreme food rules - especially if they extend to the home.

"There are all kinds of emotional and behavioral problems that can happen if you tell a child to never, ever eat a cookie. They may do just the opposite once they are at a rebellious stage," says registered dietitian Nancy Rogers, coordinator of the Worksite Wellness Program for the University of Arizona's UA Life & Work Connections.

"Food is in such abundance here. It's not like living on an island where you are never going to see an Oreo. You want to train kids to make good choices to keep their bodies healthy."

Rogers recommends moderation. Sugar is not bad in small amounts, she notes. It's a carbohydrate that is burned for energy.

"The studies don't substantiate that additives or preservatives would cause behavioral problems in children. However, there is anecdotal evidence," Rogers says of Aiken's approach. "If the parents are wanting to try it, there's no harm in that."

Aiken does not relent. Not for Halloween nor Valentine's Day. Not even birthdays.

"I always say no. It makes them think and be more creative," Aiken says. "You don't need a cake. They can have nuts, or fruit."

If all U.S. families followed her school's food rules, Aiken believes, childhood obesity would be a rare problem.

"There is also the physical activity aspect to consider," she says. "However, it is much more difficult to become obese by overeating fruits and veggies."

Preventing obesity is only one reason behind Aiken's rules. Overall health is the key factor - particularly for children who, like many of her students, have behavior problems.

Andreina Barrios, 6, often brings plain unflavored Fritos corn chips, which are a "yes" food because it's a whole-grain food. One recent lunch included scrambled eggs wrapped in a whole-wheat tortilla, as well as water and tomato juice.

Her classmate, 5-year-old Luz Michel, brought whole-wheat noodles, plain chips, juice and sliced peaches.

"We are what we eat. It's true," Aiken says. "If you buy a new car you aren't going to put sand in the gas tank. Why would you want to do that to your body?"

Edited by ConnieB

If a teacher took away the food that I packed for MY child, I would not be happy about it at all. That is not her place. Let them concentrate on what the cafeteria provides.

I also don't believe that if all the families would follow that schools food plan, as the teacher suggests, that the obesity rate would be that much lower. I think that it was also depend upon the activity level of these children. So many kids are less active today with all the electronic devices we have today to distract them.

That is overkill.

At my son's private school, parents are asked not to send desserts or sugary drinks with lunches. They ask this because the students all are "special needs" population, and many of them act up markedly if they are full of sugar. I have no problem with this regulation. I laugh in private, however, in that school meals may be purchased from an outside vending service that provides hamburgers and pizza. Those choices don't exactly improve the nutritional content of lunch ! :)

I agree that food makes a huge difference in the behavior of some kids. So, I can sort of see the point of *some* of this. But, a white tortilla v. a whole wheat tortilla isn't going to make a difference in behavior, neither is 100% juice v. a capri sun because drinking apple juice isn't the same as eating an apple. It doesn't sound like there are provisions for kids with allergies, either. That's a problem.

eta: FRITOS and CHIPS are okay but a white tortilla flour isn't? That is just stupid.

I guess I don't see this as such a big deal. You know the rules when you send your kid there - no white flour. So why would you raise a stink when they enforce rules you knew about and chose to break anyway?

I went to a conservative christian college and it drove me nuts when people complained about all the (admittedly strict) rules. Everyone gets a handbook before you get there and everyone is told about the rules upfront - why go in the first place if you have a problem with it??

~Kristen

I guess I don't see this as such a big deal. You know the rules when you send your kid there - no white flour. So why would you raise a stink when they enforce rules you knew about and chose to break anyway?

I went to a conservative christian college and it drove me nuts when people complained about all the (admittedly strict) rules. Everyone gets a handbook before you get there and everyone is told about the rules upfront - why go in the first place if you have a problem with it??

~Kristen

Because in this case ONE person decided on the rule, and the rule doesn't make sense.

We can't stand Natural PB. We have tried and tried. I don't think I'm encouraging obesity in my kids by giving them PB with sugar. And I agree with the Whole Wheat vs White tortilla is it that big of an offense? Ya know what we even eat flavored yogurt around here from time to time. The kids don't act crazy. There is a difference between flavored yogurt and a candy bar.

This just reeks of controlling to me. Yes, I love seeing kids eat healthy but come on!

This is a charter school, right? And this is a major aspect of the school program that parents know about when they apply.

I don't actually have a problem with it. Yes, it's a little extreme. But it's part of the deal. Just like other charters with extremely long days, Saturday school, signing statements about how much screen time kids are allowed, strict uniform codes, etc, etc.

Now, if this were some teacher arbitrarily confiscating foods she didn't consider "healthy"? Yeah, that would tick me off. But when there's a clear, documented policy that parents agree to as part of an optional school? Seems okay to me.

Because in this case ONE person decided on the rule, and the rule doesn't make sense.

The article says it is a 'school rule' and mentions the head people of the school as enforcing it also. It doesn't sound like it is a teachers whim, but a rule that the entire school follows.

I do agree that this is overboard. One of the schools I went to was a small private school where everyone brought their lunch as well. But my white bread sandwiches, fruit or veggie of choice, and box of juice (juice, not drink...typically mango) was definitely more healthy than anything I got in a public school cafeteria. Even a couple of oreos would not have hurt that diet compared to the cafeteria food offered.

I don't like it when government workers try to take over the parents' role. IMO, it is the responsibility and right of the parents to decide which foods to pack into their child's school lunch.

If you give the government an inch, sooner or later it will take a mile.

Edited by RoughCollie

~Kristen

This is a charter school, right? And this is a major aspect of the school program that parents know about when they apply.

I don't actually have a problem with it. Yes, it's a little extreme. But it's part of the deal. Just like other charters with extremely long days, Saturday school, signing statements about how much screen time kids are allowed, strict uniform codes, etc, etc.

Now, if this were some teacher arbitrarily confiscating foods she didn't consider "healthy"? Yeah, that would tick me off. But when there's a clear, documented policy that parents agree to as part of an optional school? Seems okay to me.

:iagree::iagree:

I gotta agree. If people enroll their children in schools with these kinds of rules, why get so upset when they are enforced?

I gotta agree. If people enroll their children in schools with these kinds of rules, why get so upset when they are enforced?

I don't see anyone upset that the rule is enforced. I see people questioning whether these rules make sense (eta: but, I may be misreading). Obviously, I don't send my kids to this school, so I don't have a horse in the race. However, I don't think it makes sense to allow chips and not a tortilla. That's just dumb.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

When I went to a Seventh Day Adventist private school back in the late 70s-early 80s we had similar rules. They were very, very strict about what could be brought into the school. I wasn't a vegetarian, but since the school was, I couldn't bring items that had any meat product in it. So, there could be no lard, or any animal by-product like gelatin. Any food breaking the rule would be sent home with a note. The teachers were very, very nice about it, but it was a clear cut and enforced rule. They had other rules too regarding food but nothing that wasn't easy to accommodate. I bet there are similar schools all over then nation that have restrictions that the parents know about when they sign up.

I don't see anyone upset that the rule is enforced. I see people questioning whether these rules make sense. Obviously, I don't send my kids to this school, so I don't have a horse in the race. However, I don't think it makes sense to allow chips and not a tortilla. That's just dumb.

:iagree:

My first thought was that in the example the foods the parents packed may be part of their family's food culture. Why should we take away the traditional foods of their culture (that happen to have a whole lot more protein than a PBJ) and replace it with the standard "American" lunch.

Yes. What was in that burrito and quesadilla? It might well have been healthful. Also, does the teacher not know that honey=sugar? Hellooo?

My boys' future school does not allow packed lunches - they cater for allergies and particular food choices (such as vegetarian) but everyone eats in the canteen. The food there is pretty good, as far as I can see - reasonably healthy but not draconian.

Laura

That rule doesn't even make sense in this case. One person, the teacher?, made the rule. WHole wheat, pb and honey isn't obviously healthier than beans on a tortilla... what kind of PB, what kind of WW, and good lord, honey is better than a possibly organic white tortilla?

Sounds dumb, honestly. The food policy appears ill-though out, and it's perfectly OK for parents to balk at nonsense, even if they did 'sign' on'. You can't know how every policy will be carried out, and whether the people in charge have a dollop of common sense.

Edited by LibraryLover

That rule doesn't even make sense in this case. One person, the teacher?, made the rule.

No, it's the school policy, not the teacher's policy. Parents apply to this school, and they agree to the food restrictions which include bringing a lunch from home that includes no refined sugar, only whole grains, no sugared juice-based beverages (only water, milk, or 100% juice). The teacher merely enforces the school rule.

Yes, any time you have set rules like that, sometimes there are going to be gray areas and sometimes things will be a bit arbitrary. Is an otherwise healthy burrito (we don't know if it *was* in the case of the one in the story) really that bad if it uses a white flour tortilla? Well, lol, white flour tortillas *are* pretty bad, but it might well not be worse than a pb&h made with mediocre whole wheat bread.

But the idea is that there are these basic rules: whole grains only, no refined sugar.... And parents and kids agree to them in order to be a part of this particular school. And the kids and parents know that if they don't follow the rules, they'll get the school-sanctioned alternative.

I'd totally agree with you if an individual teacher were making up her own arbitrary rules and taking children's lunches away at whim. I'd be up in arms! But that's not what's going on here. There are documented guidelines and parents agree to them as part of the whole at this school.

It was kind of crunchy granola 60's ish. Very funky. Lots of parent-painted crudely carpentered bookshelves and play equipment, and a big emphasis on whole grain everything, fresh fruit, and no sugar.

Other than the diet, it was wonderful. The children had a veggie garden, and lots of parent involvement meant that the activities were pretty sophisticated. DD was making pancakes on a griddle when she was 3--that's how good the supervision was. I taught weaving (to 3 and 4 year olds!), and was, AFAIK, the only parent who was brave enough to break out the roller skates when I was the outside mom. (I limited the kids to 4 at a time, and had them start on the lawn.) DD learned a great deal of initiative there, and developed quite an artistic flair that the normal 'parent projects' would not ever have produced. One of the science parents brought in an octopus for the kids to dissect. (That was a smelly day.) When I did science, we did a volcano unit that involved building the volcano out of dirt-colored playdough, and then running the lava up through the enclosed liter bottle, and then sticking on more lava-colored playdough whereever the lava ran, and talking about how mountains and islands can grow this way, and that island in Japan that has eruption drills like we have fire drills.

Bottom line--it was wonderful. The food thing was a nit compared to the good stuff. Hope that's true at this school as well.

There are documented guidelines and parents agree to them as part of the whole at this school.

One of the things that bothers me about schools in general is that they don't really view the students and their families as consumers. I think if they were more receptive to what people wanted for their kids, whether it's curriculum or food policy, we'd all be better off. Obviously, they can't please everyone, and it would open a huge can of worms. But I'm guessing if they surveyed the parents, very, very few would like this policy. Why don't the parents get to have any input?

No, it's the school policy, not the teacher's policy. Parents apply to this school, and they agree to the food restrictions which include bringing a lunch from home that includes no refined sugar, only whole grains, no sugared juice-based beverages (only water, milk, or 100% juice). The teacher merely enforces the school rule.

I am not saying it's wrong for a school to enforce a policy. I'm saying some of this, imho, is bad policy. Why are any kind of "unflavored" chips fine and a tortilla is not fine?

One of the things that bothers me about schools in general is that they don't really view the students and their families as consumers. I think if they were more receptive to what people wanted for their kids, whether it's curriculum or food policy, we'd all be better off. Obviously, they can't please everyone, and it would open a huge can of worms. But I'm guessing if they surveyed the parents, very, very few would like this policy. Why don't the parents get to have any input?

Well, I don't think we can really know whether the parents had any input. I would like to know what other school options there are in the area. Is this the only charter school? Are there affordable private schools? Is the local public school really crappy? The answers to these questions might influence how I felt about such a policy, in general, but this specific policy seems pretty arbitrary to me.

But I'm guessing if they surveyed the parents, very, very few would like this policy. Why don't the parents get to have any input?

I'd bet the farm that the parents are signing on to not only the academic mission of the school but the nutritional one as well.

They don't have to send their kids there, other options do exist. Personally, I think it sounds very reasonable, after all, we're talking one meal a day. There are plenty of choices and options for breakfast, dinner and weekends that bring other options on board.

I'd love it if my kids school had a no junk, no sugar, no white flour options.

K

Well, I don't think we can really know whether the parents had any input. I would like to know what other school options there are in the area. Is this the only charter school? Are there affordable private schools? Is the local public school really crappy? The answers to these questions might influence how I felt about such a policy, in general, but this specific policy seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Right, I'm just speaking in generalities, based on my experience with our schools. The parents here overwhelmingly dislike the math curriculum. It's a long story, but they knew there would be opposition, so they deliberately snuck it through and surprised everyone one year with this great new curriculum. When parents complained (in droves) they had lots of outreach to convince everyone this was best. After years of falling scores and unhappy teachers, they finally had to ditch it.

Or, they could have just listened to what the parents wanted first.

They don't have to send their kids there, other options do exist.

Maybe there they do, but we don't have options where I am. And I'd be seriously irritated if the only good school in the area had this lunch policy. It wouldn't keep me from enrolling, but if I really thought a policy was ridiculous, and other parents agreed, I'd be vocal about it. I'd want to know what the other parents thought. If I was the only one that had a problem with it I'd keep my mouth shut.

I think you can have a reasonable, healthy food policy without being this extreme.

But I'm guessing if they surveyed the parents, very, very few would like this policy. Why don't the parents get to have any input?

I'd bet the farm that the parents are signing on to not only the academic mission of the school but the nutritional one as well.

They don't have to send their kids to this particular school if they don't agree with the rules. As abbeyej pointed out, it is a choice. Other options do exist.

Personally, I think it sounds very reasonable, after all, we're talking one meal a day. There are plenty of choices and options for breakfast, dinner and weekends that bring other foods on board.

I'd love it if my kids school had a no junk, no sugar, no white flour options.

K

Yes, it seems arbitrary but if parents agree to send a child there, they agree to the arbitrary rules on lunches.

One of my kids attended a special needs preschool program at a public school when he was three. The forbid any type of candy or dessert, including not allowing cupcakes on his birthday. However, twice a week, the school supplied breakfast was icing-laden cinnamon rolls. The breakfast cereal choices were sugary (Count Chocula, Trix, etc) with only one healthier exception. The irony was not lost on me.

I think the rules sound great. I don't know why we act like American kids have this god-given right to eat junk all the time. If the school wants to promote a healthy food culture, that's their right as a charter school. If they start making exceptions here and there, parents are going to start sending more junk for lunch because it's easier, and it'll just get worse from there. They have a policy, and they stick to it. Good for them.

It's a charter school. Nutrition is part of the mission of the school. If parents are not on board with this, they don't have to send their children to school.

I agree with this. However, I would not be one of the ones enrolling my children in the school. I agree with the basic nutritional guidelines and follow them for my family most of the time. But I would not want my children's lunches to be proscribed by any school.

I think the rules sound great. I don't know why we act like American kids have this god-given right to eat junk all the time. If the school wants to promote a healthy food culture, that's their right as a charter school. If they start making exceptions here and there, parents are going to start sending more junk for lunch because it's easier, and it'll just get worse from there. They have a policy, and they stick to it. Good for them.

Honey does not offer more nutrition than beans. That's just stupit-think.

Lemmings. Clearly, these folks cannot see the forest for the trees. I might not leave the school, since there is no guarantee that there is something better out there, but I would never trust their judgment again.

Policy over common sense is frightneing.

I don't like it when government workers try to take over the parents' role. IMO, it is the responsibility and right of the parents to decide which foods to pack into their child's school lunch.

If you give the government an inch, sooner or later it will take a mile.

By the name, it sounds private, not "government".

From their website (bolding my own):

After reading my curriculum vitae (presented below), often people ask me what made me start a charter school! The answer is that I’ve had a life long interest in education and the health of children. I have learned from the best: (1) my parents, who were both physicians with a passion for nutrition, and (2) successfully raising five healthy children of my own. During my childhood and early adult life, however, I also observed that most people do not practice healthy eating habits. I also noted that, while changing dietary habits is beneficial to the body at any point in life, the ideal scenario is to instill good basic food and eating habits in children from birth. With this goal in mind, I designed and developed the Nurtured Body Program.

Looks like a case of caveat emptor to me.

But, what do I know?

Oh well, reason #456,876,789,125,973 that I homeschool, lol.

TUCSON - As her second-grade students take out their lunches, teacher Leticia Moreno quickly spots two with forbidden food - a burrito and quesadilla made with white flour tortillas.

"I will get them peanut butter and honey on whole wheat," Moreno says, taking away the offending meals.

Well, the school would probably regret giving my dd the "good" peanut butter and honey on whole wheat. "Whole grain", fiber, etc. is great...unless you happen to have irritable bowel syndrome in which case those foods could actually be trigger foods that cause digestive distress. For my dd, oily foods like peanut butter are also a problem.

When my dh was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I had to go along with him to the dietician appointment since I do the cooking. We were instructed to use only WHOLE grain wheat breads and pasta, increase the fiber, etc. and when I did this at home it caused a WHOLE lot of problems for my dd.

One size doesn't fit all...even at meal times. What's "healthy" for one student isn't necessarily going to be healthful for someone else.

Laurie! The whole deal is Buyer Beware! Nobody is expecting anyone at this school with A Policy to use common sense.

Don't get crazy on us.

;)

Well, the school would probably regret giving my dd the "good" peanut butter and honey on whole wheat. "Whole grain", fiber, etc. is great...unless you happen to have irritable bowel syndrome in which case those foods could actually be trigger foods that cause digestive distress. For my dd, oily foods like peanut butter are also a problem.

When my dh was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I had to go along with him to the dietician appointment since I do the cooking. We were instructed to use only WHOLE grain wheat breads and pasta, increase the fiber, etc. and when I did this at home it caused a WHOLE lot of problems for my dd.

One size doesn't fit all...even at meal times. What's "healthy" for one student isn't necessarily going to be healthful for someone else.

Honey does not offer more nutrition than beans. That's just stupit-think.

This is true.

It's part of the 'natural and whole is always better' mentality. It's a little dated, frankly.

Still, DD attended kindergarten at a brick and mortar Lutheran school, and all the other kids thought that her food was really, really weird. For snacks I would send whole grain cinnamon cereal (like organic Chex) with peanut butter, or cut up apples and cut up cheese chunks. For lunch I would send a peanut butter sandwich that I made myself on whole wheat bread, and some other components like a little box of raisins (that she took home and I refilled), carrot sticks, a watertight straw cup of milk (very occasionally this would be chocolate milk), and some kind of dessert occasionally (maybe once a week I would throw in a few cookies or a mini candy bar.)

This made her seem very weird to her classmates who mostly had lunchables, little bags of chips, and a juice box or soda. I mean, REALLY REALLY weird, not just a little odd. Weird like being an alien. There was only one other kid in the class who had lunches like hers, I kid you not. So I can see that it would be nice to have a refuge where there are rules about healthy food that everyone has to stick with. No more peer pressure.