Menu

Would you eat these?

My husband took one of the kids to the park last night. On the way out he passed a family who was celebrating a birthday. They offered him cupcakes and he brought them home.

They appear to be made at a local bakery but they had them out on a platter and then put them in a box for him to bring home.

We have no idea who these people are.

Would you eat the cupcakes?

No. Sorry, you just cant trust people. Last night we went to view a home and the owners had cookies and napkins sitting out on the counter for us. We did not eat them. You just cannot be too cautious. I tell my kids not to take candy from strangers, so why would I?

I think it unlikely in the extreme that the cupcakes would be poisoned.

I don't worry about being poisoned so much as to who handled them, where their hands have been, had they been left out in a hot car for hours, did someone sneeze over them, did they drop on the floor and someone pick them back up etc...those kinda things.

I wouldn't, but not for the same reasons. I would absolutely not think they were poisoned if they were eating them too. I have offered food to strangers before if we had too much. I wouldn't eat them because I would be worried they had the flu or something! We have been sick several times this winter and I don't want it back. I wouldn't know if they washed their hands or not:)

I'd eat them

I don't worry about being poisoned so much as to who handled them, where their hands have been, had they been left out in a hot car for hours, did someone sneeze over them, did they drop on the floor and someone pick them back up etc...those kinda things.

all those things help build immunity :001_smile:

We have no food allergies so I'm not worried about that. They do appear to be made in a bakery and not homemade. Dirt and germs don't bother me. I've picked things off my floor and eaten them without a second thought. But the poison/deliberate contamination is what bothers me. You know the whole taking candy from strangers thing.

My husband talked to them, but he didn't actually see them eat them as they were finishing up their outing as he walked by. We presume they ate them. He accepted them in front of our son and said son desperately wants to eat them but I'm just not sure it's a good idea. Husband doesn't think it's a problem. I was just trying to guage if I was overreacting or if hubby was underreacting.

I'm guessing you don't eat out much! :lol:

I try not to think about such stuff too much... I would probably eat the cupcake if I was in a cupcake sort of mood. :001_smile:

Dirt and germs don't bother me. I've picked things off my floor and eaten them without a second thought.

That stuff doesn't bother me either. What is likely to make you sick is things you touch--rarely things you eat. It would have to survive stomach acid first (which is pretty severe).

Yeah.. I'd take a risk for a cupcake.

Yes, this! :drool5:

Seriously, we were at a pizza place recently (with 5 kids at our table) and there was a kids party next to us. They had finished eating and asked if our kids would like cupcakes. We readily agreed! Cupcakes?! SURE!!!!!

Sugar, dirt, boogers... all worth it for a cupcake! :willy_nilly:

I worry about that in restaurants, too. I don't eat out often, but over the decades, I have managed to live through it.

I would make cupcakes for my family if I were worried about the ones in question. I don't see the point in letting my kids eat something that results in my watching them like a hawk to see if they survive it. I don't like self-inflicted anxiety.

If it is neurotic to not let your child eat the cupcake, celebrate that neurosis by baking cupcakes for him!

Edited by RoughCollie