Menu

Can I get your opinion on this baby name?

I'm only 7 weeks but I love coming up with baby names! For some background, we use flowers for our girls' middle names. We've used Rose and Violet, and Lily is the one that I REALLY want to use this time if it's a girl.

For a first name, I really like Susannah. So, it'd be Susannah Lily. But considering the name Susannah means "Lily", is the name redundant, or is the meaning of Susannah not common enough knowledge for that to matter? I don't want someone's first thought to be, Why did they name her Lily Lily? :lol:

Thanks! The more I think about it, the more I love this name. I've mentioned it to dh before, and he didn't immediately veto it, so I think he might be okay with it. I'll be 7 or 8 months along before I can get him to have a serious conversation about names though! In the meantime, he does tell me when he definitely does not like a name, but we never seem to lock in our choices until the last minute.

But considering the name Susannah means "Lily", is the name redundant, or is the meaning of Susannah not common enough knowledge for that to matter? I don't want someone's first thought to be, Why did they name her Lily Lily? :lol:

I didn't know it meant Lily. I don't think the general public would. Go for it! :)

For a first name, I really like Susannah. So, it'd be Susannah Lily. But considering the name Susannah means "Lily", is the name redundant, or is the meaning of Susannah not common enough knowledge for that to matter? I don't want someone's first thought to be, Why did they name her Lily Lily? :lol:

I actually know a little girl named Susannah Lily, and I have to admit that I do keep thinking "why did they name her Lily Lily?" But I love name meanings and I'd bet 90% of people wouldn't even know. :tongue_smilie:

I'll be 7 or 8 months along before I can get him to have a serious conversation about names though!

:lol: Are our dh's related?? I've got 7 weeks to go with this baby, and I approached the girl's name topic again last night. Still working on that one....:) (Although, at least got him to agree with a 'possibility' ;) )

I think it's a beautiful name. I love the idea of naming all the girls after flowers. Wish I'd thought of that one. :D

Thanks! When my 1st dd was born, Rose just fit perfectly with her first name. So, we decided that any future girls should have flowers for middle names too.

I mentioned Susannah Lily to dh again today, and it's definitely on the short list (ok, so far it's the ONLY name on the list!). He actually likes it, yay! I'm really hoping this baby is a girl because I REALLY want to use this name. I can already tell we are going to have a tough time agreeing on a boy's name.

Thanks! When my 1st dd was born, Rose just fit perfectly with her first name. So, we decided that any future girls should have flowers for middle names too.

I mentioned Susannah Lily to dh again today, and it's definitely on the short list

How about Susannah Sweet Pea? :D

Susana was on my list last time, so I'm one who does know the meaning. It's one of my very favorite names, even though we chose something else.

The two names sounds gorgeous together, but I did think, "whoops! repeat on the Lily part".;)

Almost no one would realize that the 2 names meant the same thing. But your future dd might object to the redundancy--or she might think it's super-cool. Just something to think about.

I have a subtle botanical thing going w/ the girl names in our family, too.

:001_smile:

Congratulations on your wee baby blessing!

Mine is 7 mos. now and I'm more in love every day!

Susanna/h was our girl name this last go round (I think my list of unused girl names might be the main reason I wish I could have a girl someday!). LOVE it. We were going to use Sukie as a nickname if it fit her.

Anyway, I say use the middle name you love. So few people will even know her middle name as she gets older, that I think that's the name to do what YOU want to with and not worry about what anyone else thinks. For various reasons, I really wanted my second DS's middle name to be Benedict. It had a lot of meaning to me, and I just really wanted to use it. I let people talk me out of it, and I've always regretted it.

I ditched the name Hannah Grace for the same reason ~ I didn't people to think Grace Grace. Later on, I said something about it to dh, and he said it would have been a double helping of Grace. If he had said that while I was pregnant, Katie Mae would probably be Hannah Grace. :001_smile:

I think if you like Susannah Lily, you should just go with it.

I am one of those who already knew Susannah means Lily (because my IRL name is Susan) but I don't think it matters- it's a very pretty name combination.

I have a friend whose daughters are caled Rose and Liy and I think its sch a lovely idea.