Menu

SPOKEO and your personal info on the we

I was sent this by a fellow health co-op member. I checked it out and the information for both my husband and myself (some in error) were online as well as a picture of our home. I deleted ours as per the instructions. Here was the email I received in case anyone else wants to delete theirs:

"We were informed of a website that contains TOO MUCH personal information available to anyone, and for a minimal fee even more information is available.

When I looked myself up - it stated

address

phone number

home value

home details

annual income

who lives in the house

and EVEN a street picture of my home

I realize that all this information is available, but I don't want to make it eay for someone to "steal my identity, etc"

If you find your information on SPOKEO.COM, You can delete your profile.

Copy the URL on your page

In the lower right hand corner go to PRIVACY

copy the URL into the delete box

you will get a confirmation email to your email

Mine sent to my PUBLIC email address - not my personal one ) My profile was deleted within 3 hours.

Please tell your friends and family"

Okay......I'm sorry. Yes, I think it's a good idea to have one's personal information deleted from a place like this. But I have to confess, I had a little fun with it! I looked up Barack Obama, and do you know what? According to Spokeo, He's not interested in politics!:lol:

But they did manage to get the photo of the house right!

(Sorry. Too much free time on my hands, right?)

Okay......I'm sorry. Yes, I think it's a good idea to have one's personal information deleted from a place like this. But I have to confess, I had a little fun with it! I looked up Barack Obama, and do you know what? According to Spokeo, He's not interested in politics!:lol:

But they did manage to get the photo of the house right!

(Sorry. Too much free time on my hands, right?)

:lol: reg. Obama.

I was glad to see we were not listed.

We were in there, but a lot of the info was wrong. Dh does *not* love to read. And I do *not* drive a truck (neither of us do, for that matter). :lol:

The pic of the house isn't even my house, but probably the same one that can be found on googlemaps.

LOL. The only information that was correct about me was the information they probably got from the county home website. Every thing else was Wayyyy off. But, when I put information into websites, I often just make things up like DOB and such, so that may explain it. No worries for me.

Dh doesn't exist apparently.

I searched for my parents as well but they had over half of that wrong too, including that my dad is Asian and my mom is Caucasian/Asian. LoL My dad is just about the exact opposite of Asian you can get, as a big, burly Norwegian. :lol: And while my mom is a bit of a mix, there is nothing Asian about her either.

This website doesn't concern me, because it is the same information you could get in 2 minutes of effective Google searches.

:eek:

There was a picture of my home with DHs car in the driveway!!!! AAACK!!!

The photos are from google.

The photo on my dh's page wasn't my house. Our houses are actually on private drives, google cannot take pictures on private roads or driveways without permission. It's just a photo taken close to my street.

Helpful info:

http://maps.google.ca/help/maps/streetview/behind-the-scenes.html

http://maps.google.ca/help/maps/streetview/privacy.html

eta:

You can request removal of an image

We provide easily accessible tools allowing users to ask us to remove any images that feature inappropriate content (for example: nudity), or to remove any picture that features the user, their family, their car or their home. Below, you can review the steps to make a request.

Well I'm more insulted than anything.

I do not consider myself in my "late 30s" tyvm. (I am mid 30s!!)

I am not a gemini

I have no idea how it can put me in a 1million dollar house in a below average neighborhood. (I do not live in a 1M$ house, but I think our neighborhood is solid lower to middle middle class)

And if it had to have a picture of my house, my couldn't it have picked a photo other than when we were cleaning up after the worst ice storm in our state's history?

And I have profound and deep hatred of shopping, especially retail shopping.

And I'm deleting my profile.

Well I'm more insulted than anything.

I do not consider myself in my "late 30s" tyvm. (I am mid 30s!!)

I am not a gemini

I have no idea how it can put me in a 1million dollar house in a below average neighborhood. (I do not live in a 1M$ house, but I think our neighborhood is solid lower to middle middle class)

And if it had to have a picture of my house, my couldn't it have picked a photo other than when we were cleaning up after the worst ice storm in our state's history?

And I have profound and deep hatred of shopping, especially retail shopping.

And I'm deleting my profile.

I've looked up a few other names, and I think the 1M+ house and below average neighborhood must be the default setting. It's been on every one I've looked at.

I've looked up a few other names, and I think the 1M+ house and below average neighborhood must be the default setting. It's been on every one I've looked at.

I was Mrs. Nosy Pants too, and looked up friends (and family :blush:)....all said $1 million plus.

I'm not into astrology, but they got my sign wrong too (good sign that they don't know my b-day). They also said I had "some college", and I have a degree.

Wow! I just found myself and my DH on there! Deleted us both. I also found my MIL and FIL on there, but it wouldn't let me delete them today. Told me to come back "later" and try again.

Funny - it says my MIL is in her 80's (correct) and that my FIL in in his 30's!!!!!!! Ha! Very funny! They are VERY PRIVATE people, so I'm going to delete this stuff. It would bother them very much to know so much info. on them is available - even if some of it is way off!

Our was there but pretty vague but still I'd like to delete it if I could. But I didn't see anywhere to delete it. DO you have to register first?

No, just copy the URL on your profie page, click on privacy on bottom right, paste URL into delete box---you have to provide an email.

• 4 weeks later...