Menu

Do you plan your curriculum around state/national testing?

treestarfae

No, no, a thousand times no! One of the few things that make me go all political is the way that public schools are forced to teach to the high-stakes tests, and the way in which the tests in turn determine and drastically limit curriculum.

Absolutely not, and testing is not something we'll have to worry about. Oregon requires only that a child achieve a composite score above the 15th percentile. Homeschooled kids with learning disabilities can get an IEP, which will exempt them from testing requirements.

Just wondering if anyone does this?

I think that there are a lot of mismatches between the average standardized test and classical curriculum. There just isn't a test out there that is going to ask my kids to identify the major characteristics of Athens and Sparta or to describe the rise of feudalism or to do much of anything with a foreign language. I find much of the social studies questions on the tests I've seen to be petty. (For example, I don't really care if my kids can identify which drawing is the capital and which is the white house. I do really care that they understand the three branches of government and the difference between the Senate and House of Representatives. NB - living overseas, I especially don't care about the image over the content.)

If you have a precocious reader, I think that the language arts scores can tend to be off by quite a bit. My son was reading Redwall with high comprehension, but did poorly on one battery because he didn't know what a vowel was.

On the other hand, I have occasionally given my kids the released tests from Virginia for math and science because it sometimes is reassuring and sometimes reminds me of things that I need to make sure I cover at some point (like the time I realized that I hadn't exposed my kids to what an amphibian was).

Tests are a tool. But they are not what drives my curriculum.

No. We are not required to do the state standardized testing that the public school kids do, so we don't have to worry about which science and history topics they are covering in what grade. We meet our standardized testing requirements by taking the IOWA test.

Mary

Though we do test every year for my own purposes. I do not ever give the results to the schools.

Homeschooled kids, especially those following a classical history rotation, will often be immersed in Ancients for a year and miss the standard "who are Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King" questions. I do not care.

One of the joys of homeschooling is that you do NOT have to follow what the public schools are doing.

My husband was concerned on this, so I went through the curriculum we've planned for next year (and the four year cycle) in conjunction with the state standards-and I'm not worried in the slightest.

In Science, while there will be standards we won't address in 1st grade if we stick to WTM recommendations, over the four year cycle she'll address far more than is actually in the state's recommendations, so that's good. Social studies, same deal. Over the course of the four year cycle, she'll far exceed what is actually taught in ps. Honestly, most of what is in the 1st grade science and social studies standards seem like skills that a child normally would have learned via exposure by this age. How many 6 yr old kids don't know that you can sometimes see the moon during the day, but you can't see the sun at night? Or that clouds and rain go together? Or the kinds of buildings you find in a city? (And I'm talking businesses, public buildings, churches, houses here, not architectural styles!)

Math and LA are more sequential, but, again, what you'll do if you follow WTM will be ahead of what is expected. 3rd grade tested standards seem more like 2nd grade skills.

The only tweak I plan to make was that I downloaded the state "subject specific vocabulary by grade level" guide, and I'll make sure that if there's a term that they use that the resources we use don't, it gets mentioned that "this is also sometimes called an X".

One of the options for VA homeschoolers is to have your child's curriculum aligned with the SOL's, our state standardized test. Honestly, I'm not even sure how to prove that, and I wouldn't want to. We use a different option that involves picking whatever we want and schooling whenever we want, as much as we want, and then passing an ITBS or Stanford test in at least the 25th percentile.

Like many have said, our scope and sequence as neo-classical homeschoolers just doesn't match up grade for grade.

FWIW, my dd went to 3rd grade in ps last year. They had to take an end of the year SOL test in Social Studies. It was cumulative, for K-3rd. She got enough in that one year to pass it with only one wrong. That's how much they reviewed and emphasized the test in her classroom! Most of it, she knew from living on the earth for 9 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/education/03ravitch.html?scp=2&sq=diane%20ravitch&st=cse

She also has a new book out: The Death and Life of the American School, by Diane Ravitch. I'm halfway through -- bought it mostly because there is a long chapter on the San Diego schools under Alan Bersin a few years back; he was extremely controversial because of his aggressive, top-down, autocratic style of reform.

I think that there are a lot of mismatches between the average standardized test and classical curriculum. There just isn't a test out there that is going to ask my kids to identify the major characteristics of Athens and Sparta or to describe the rise of feudalism or to do much of anything with a foreign language. I find much of the social studies questions on the tests I've seen to be petty. (For example, I don't really care if my kids can identify which drawing is the capital and which is the white house. I do really care that they understand the three branches of government and the difference between the Senate and House of Representatives. NB - living overseas, I especially don't care about the image over the content.)

If you have a precocious reader, I think that the language arts scores can tend to be off by quite a bit. My son was reading Redwall with high comprehension, but did poorly on one battery because he didn't know what a vowel was.

On the other hand, I have occasionally given my kids the released tests from Virginia for math and science because it sometimes is reassuring and sometimes reminds me of things that I need to make sure I cover at some point (like the time I realized that I hadn't exposed my kids to what an amphibian was).

Tests are a tool. But they are not what drives my curriculum.

:iagree:

I plan my curriculum around what *I* think is important, not what some committee of bureaucrats up in Sacramento thinks all kids in a certain grade should study.

That said, I do include a limited amount of standardized test prep. Not remotely as much as what the government-run schools around here do, but the fact that I do *ANY* puts me in the minority of HS families in my area.

I want my DD's scores to reflect her actual abilities rather than be artificially depressed just because I didn't cover some particular topic.

Like PP we also have to do a standardized test but they do not have to include history and science. As long as they continue with math and language skills they will do fine I am sure. VA gives the SOL tests which beat the kids over the head with VA history for 2 years straight and then you never hear about it again really after 5th grade! WHat a waste of time@

I don't plan our curricula around it, but I do utilize test prep materials before they take the tests.

We actually choose to test our kids more often than the state requires. I want to see how they are doing compared to others and see if there might be areas of weakness I did not catch. I give the tests myself, so I can see what they actually missed.

I want them to be used to standardized tests for later in high school or if something happened that we had to put them in school.

NO WAY!! One of the reasons I don't have my kids in PS is because I want to be in control of what they learn and when. I don't want someone else deciding for me what my children should know.

We are testing this week and I'll be so glad to be done. I keep telling my kids... it's okay if you don't know something on the test... and... I'm so sorry you cannot show all that you learned this last year. The best part of the week though was when my kids got to reading comprehension and LOVED it because, "This is exactly what we do in writing!" (we use WWE) Ask them the main point of "any" paragraph and they are all over that!!! :D