Menu

Have you ever noticed that these topics tend to cycle

First we will have several types of discussion on religion, then child rearing, then, homeschooling, then back to religion. We used to be able to throw politics in the cycle too, but we are so bad. :lol:

What is going to come next?

I'm going to break the cycle. I'm going to start a thread about recommendations for motorcycles, and the advantages of riding one with or withoiut a helmet. :lol::lol::lol:

No, no, no. You don't want a motorcycle. You want a unicycle ! Ride it with a knit stocking cap for protection.

:tongue_smilie:

First we will have several types of discussion on religion, then child rearing, then, homeschooling, then back to religion. We used to be able to throw politics in the cycle too, but we are so bad. :lol:

What is going to come next?

You have totally forgotten the entire holiday cycle. :tongue_smilie:

You have totally forgotten the entire holiday cycle. :tongue_smilie:

Being holidays they are on a cycle of their own, and don't get meshed with the rest of the year. :lol::lol:

I can recite the cycle though. Can you? ;):D

Are you limiting it to this side only, or will you consider the K-8 board? Because then we can factor in the math wars, whether we can *really* call ourselves classical, and whether SOTW is religious or secular.

And then we can go completely random with another something like your overall morality being dictated by whether or not you return your shopping cart or ask other people to take their shoes off at your house. And don't forget the crockpot wars.

Or not. :D

Oh and the same questions that get asked every year: homeschooling with others, homeschooling other ppl's kids, is anyone familiar with *name of curriculum*, pros and cons of *curriculum*, how to encourage/discourage labour (haven't I seen that here or elsewhere?), etc

Are you limiting it to this side only, or will you consider the K-8 board? Because then we can factor in the math wars, whether we can *really* call ourselves classical, and whether SOTW is religious or secular.

And then we can go completely random with another something like your overall morality being dictated by whether or not you return your shopping cart or ask other people to take their shoes off at your house. And don't forget the crockpot wars.

Or not. :D

Oh, Wow! The Crockpot Wars. :lol::lol:

Noticed I capitalized it.

Oh, Wow! The Crockpot Wars. :lol::lol:

Noticed I capitalized it.

I'm new around here. What are The Crockpot Wars ?

(1) a graphic novel ? (wipe off the grins, folks. You KNOW what I mean !)

(2) a cable TV telenovela ?

(3) a polyester-with-sequins update of the Bayeux Tapestry ?

(4) something on YouTube ?

(5) an off-Broadway musical ?

Enquiring minds want to know !

I'm new around here. What are The Crockpot Wars ?

Enquiring minds want to know !

You are a survivor of the religious debates. You ought to be able to figure out what The Crockpot Wars were.

Good night all. I'll check back tomorrow.

Peace.

You are a survivor of the religious debates. You ought to be able to figure out what The Crockpot Wars were.

Good night all. I'll check back tomorrow.

Peace.

I'm thoroughly dense. Have no idea.

(1) what brand of appliance to buy

(2) what size of appliance to buy

(3) crockpot vs. pressure cooker

(4) carnivore vs. vegan/vegetarian

(5) slow-cooked foods vs. raw foods

(6) electricity vs. off-the-grid

I am going to randomly give my opinions and see if anything happens :lol:

food... organics, budgets, menus, lunches...

Organics=good

Budgets=good

menus=very good or you end up with tons of food and nothing to cook

lunches= I usually make soup, salad, some sort of pasta or sandwiches

Raw milk or Weston Price.

:eek: :banghead:

Weston Price=Crazy

Raw Milk is ok but not a magical cure all

I'm going to break the cycle. I'm going to start a thread about recommendations for motorcycles, and the advantages of riding one with or withoiut a helmet. :lol::lol::lol:

Motorcycles=NO!

Ah, but there's a new one this year.... BPHs (or is it BHP? I can never remember.).

Anyway, I was just thinking it was a banner week to have the Pearls, the Ezzos and the Dougs all in a few days' span.

Next, well I've already seen a couple, but it is nearing spring and I predict gardening questions will abound. And a related topic on the cycle to add to your list, canning in late summer.

One more to add, February Freak Outs. There seems to be a lot of hair-pulling and SAD questions in February. But I guess my contributions to your cycle list could be considered seasonal, just not the holiday season.

I don't remember the crockpot wars either. :001_smile:

I don't remember the crockpot wars either. :001_smile:

Aren't there essentially 2 points to that topic? One, a lamentation that new cp's cook much faster and hotter than the old ones. Two, lead in the lining. Any of that sound familiar?

I am now going on my 9th year of TWTM... I used to be a frequent board visitor, and then somewhat stopped. See, years ago, and maybe it is still true, the popularity of certain curriculums went through cycles. As each new one came out, and people raved about it, I ended up buying it. I became a total curriculum junkie. I have one of EVERYTHING! These cycles are at least MUCH CHEAPER!!!

Being holidays they are on a cycle of their own, and don't get meshed with the rest of the year. :lol::lol:

I can recite the cycle though. Can you? ;):D

Oh yes, I have been here a long time and I know the cycle well. As far as the regular cycle, I can pretty much tell the way a thread will go by the title alone. Oh no, here we go again! Every now and then though, I get totally thrown by something completely out from left field. Shoes or no shoes? :tongue_smilie:

More like why would anyone cook in a lead lined pot. :lol: And there was more than one thread. This particular thread started out similar to the way my thread about cycles starts but quickly turns. I know you don't want to read all 20+ pages, but check the tags at the bottom.;)

I was a bystander in that particular war. Even now I'm leery about opening a thread with crock pot in the title.

Aren't there essentially 2 points to that topic? One, a lamentation that new cp's cook much faster and hotter than the old ones. Two, lead in the lining. Any of that sound familiar?

Thanks for the synopsis ! Glad I was absent that day/week/month. The speed of heating sounds boring to quarrel over. The lead lining is a no brainer. Research brands before buying an appliance. (That suggestion will take care of the BPA, as well !)

Then there are some of the newer "classics" :

To shop at WalMart, or not.

To purchase items made in mainland China, or not. (This is the modern version of "to purchase items made in Taiwan, or not", which raged during my distant youth.)

To trust bottled water, or not.

To trust ones tap water, or not.

To trust water in any form, or not.

Sometimes I laugh when I see certain topics re-appear for the 10th or 20th time. There are some topics that come up every few months and some are seasonal. But there are very few, truly original topics that appear here. I guess it is just the joy of being a family centered group of people. We worry over birthday parties, consequences for acting out, health issues, support of friends/family of homeschooling, books we read, movies we watch, appliances we buy, what our dream house/vacation/backyard play gym is, how to resolve xyz stain, how to make $$ at home, how to juggle work/hs, how to entertain the littles, how to challenge the bigs, public/private/homeschool debate, would you eat it.......I could go on and on.

But, that is the nature of a board family. We all run across the same decisions, day after day, and like to have someone validate our concerns or wishes. What a better place than with the women and men who have BTDT, and posted about it last year. :lol:

LOL I'd so join in on that thread!

I've started a couple of threads about guitars but usually they die out pretty quickly. I'm also a total car nut and would totally love to talk about cars with someone but I'm sure that thread would be dead pretty quick too.

I think the old topics keep coming back because it's what people like to talk about. ;) :D

Then someone will ask for recommendations for either a vacuum or a front loading washer. :lol:

Yep, I was debating bringing front loaders back to the top again. I've owned my Duet for 7 years with no stink. Suddenly, it reeks of mildew. I suspect one of two things. I had a repair guy come out and show me how to clear the drain pump of itty bitty socks and lint balls so that it would drain better. I wonder if he managed to pour some of the stinky water someplace it shouldn't have been. Around the same time I also started using fabric softener labeled "safe for HE" in the washer because someone on here posted that the dryer sheets were the culprit in the mystery of the greasy splotches. Maybe the liquid softener is encouraging slime growth?

I've googled all over he internet and none of the suggestions for getting rid of the stink work for more than a day.

So now we are considering cutting our losses and getting a new washer when the Energy Star rebate program kicks in in our state.

How do you guys feel about steam washers?

Barb

Then there are some of the newer "classics" :

To shop at WalMart, or not.

To purchase items made in mainland China, or not. (This is the modern version of "to purchase items made in Taiwan, or not", which raged during my distant youth.)

To trust bottled water, or not.

To trust ones tap water, or not.

To trust water in any form, or not.

And if you do trust water, how much to drink and what, exactly, constitutes water consumption.

Barb

This thread is making me laugh! I am completely new here but SO many of those topics come up in cycles on other boards I am on. EVEN the crock pot one!

(and incidentally my username is such so that it reminds me to just 'let it be' when I see a big ol' debate type topic.)

Well, you TOTALLY forgot "The boards were better back in the old days."

:glare:

SWB

they were.

One of the best things about the old board was that it was composed mainly of people who homeschool their children (*gasp*). If a poll were to be given today as to how many members actually homeschool their children, I believe that would not be the case. I am always dumbfounded when threads pop-up regarding people who want advice about their dc who are either in private or public schools and the problems they are encountering with teachers, the bureaucracy, etc. They are not asking how to go about withdrawing their children from school to be home schooled, but rather how they should handle the teacher (or whatever is perplexing them and their dc).

In many cases I've seen here on this board, it is the home schooler's who are attacked for the curriculum they choose and the reasons they home school.

I mainly stick to the high school board now and rarely come to the general board and even more rarely post on controversial threads. Most likely, I won't even bother to look at responses to this post. I have so little respect for what most of the people would say....The people I respect I communicate with daily off this board in a variety of other forums. It makes me terribly sad as it was SWB's book that first convinced me I could home school. The old board was my haven for finding curriculum, settling my nerves when issues arose, and comaraderie. I find that sadly lacking now here.