Menu

What in the world do I believe? Am I alone?

After sitting through a CC intro I find myself wondering just what the heck I believe. I believe in God and Jesus but also don't have issue with Darwin. :confused: I question many so called "miracles" in the Bible and don't see it as a book of fact but an interpretation of what happened during those times...kind of like a history book with one view. I don't care for all of the pomp and circumstance in church services. I was raised Episcopal for a reference point but really am not sure what I am now and if I will fit in with the CC community. I so want my kids to have stronger faith and feel more secure in what they believe. Does ANY of this make sense?

Have you read any books by Marcus Borg? His understanding of the Bible might resonate with you.

I think it's easy to forget that Christians are a diverse group, and there are many of us over here on the liberal fringe.

In my case, I was raised with a very "low-church" style, and I've discovered that I enjoy the ritual of a more "high-church" service. When I left the denomination in which I had been raised, I attended a different church every Sunday for a while. It helped me to find what fit me.

If you want your dc to have a "stronger faith" and "feel more secure in what they believe," they need to go to church. It's sad that you're questioning your own upbringing, but logically, how could your dc have a "stronger faith" if they are not taught the faith in the first place?

Oh, sure, you could read some books and whatnot, but it is the Church which will answer your questions.

I'm a *personal* Christian. I believe Jesus is my God, Lord and Savior. I think it's great if he's yours, also. But I also think God is bigger than that and if your expression of spirituality is not "Jesus Christ", it's still God.

I don't believe in evangelical missionaries (I mean, I believe they exist, I just don't believe they should ;)). That one is a tough one since my DH's son (I don't call his boys my stepsons since they were adults when I came into their lives) is one!

I've spent 19 years in AA rooms seeing how "God" works in peoples lives whether they call him Jesus - or not.

I believe the Christian Bible is Truth but not literal. I believe in the Divine, human, crucified and resurrected Jesus but I don't care if Jonah was actually swalled alive in a big fish or not. I do actually believe in the Jesus miracles but they don't impress me as much as the wisdom of his words. :)

I don't care how old the earth is, I believe dinosaurs way pre-dated humans but I also don't believe in "evolution" - I believe we've always been the human species.

I believe thinking, loving, spiritual people can "fall" on polar opposites of hot button issues (abortion, death penalty, war, socialized health care) and it can be an expression of love, care, concern and welfare.

I'm not fully comfortable in any Christian church and not fully comfortable without one.

I'm ok with where I am in terms of God. I do wish I didn't feel so alone. I wish I *could* adopt the sameness of attitude of conservative, fundamental Christians or even the hard core definitely not "buying it" non Christians. But I can't - neither are me.

Edited by Joanne

You can be OK with Darwin and also be a Christian. There are many of us around (in fact, AFAIK it's the young-earth creationists who are the minority). Creationism is not a salvific issue for most people.

Anyway it sounds like you should visit some churches in your area and see if you can find one that fits your beliefs. :001_smile:

You might really like Marcus Borg's book, Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time. All his other books are good too. Other sympatico authors are John Shelby Spong and John Dominic Crossan. Spong talks about the church in exile for people like us. :001_smile:

After sitting through a CC intro I find myself wondering just what the heck I believe. I believe in God and Jesus but also don't have issue with Darwin. :confused: I question many so called "miracles" in the Bible and don't see it as a book of fact but an interpretation of what happened during those times...kind of like a history book with one view. I don't care for all of the pomp and circumstance in church services. I was raised Episcopal for a reference point but really am not sure what I am now and if I will fit in with the CC community. I so want my kids to have stronger faith and feel more secure in what they believe. Does ANY of this make sense?

I think it will be hard for your children to have a stronger faith than you have if they don't come to believe that God has preserved His Word to Mankind. If I did not believe that God had both provided and preserved the Bible as a Lamp unto my feet and a Light unto my path, I would not bother to believe in Him at all. The Bible can not be just a history book and also be an accurate representation of God's actions among man. God is supernatural and the Bible makes many claims about God that can not be proven historically. My mind can not even fathom a "God" who would be so weak and hidden. The Bible is a history book but it claims to be more than that and I can trust those claims and build a solid faith on that or I can distrust that God was able to do that for me, in which case, I'd probably just be an agnostic.

Belief in Jesus is not a saving faith. A saving kind of faith is one that compels you to trust Him and build upon Him. He is a Rock and He is very solid. If the Bible is just an inspired history book (which it is, in part), how could we trust for what is not history, for that which is coming? The Bible has much to say about the future and eternal security and "things to come". I don't know if I could rest and take comfort in those things if I believed it was just a history book and not a supernaturally revealed expression of God's activities in this world and His desire for me, which is that I Rest in Him. I believe the Bible is a history book but it's also a supernatural work that compels the human heart to Rest.

You can be OK with Darwin and also be a Christian. There are many of us around (in fact, AFAIK it's the young-earth creationists who are the minority). Creationism is not a salvific issue for most people.

Anyway it sounds like you should visit some churches in your area and see if you can find one that fits your beliefs. :001_smile:

Catholics believe in evolution.

I think it will be hard for your children to have a stronger faith than you have if they don't come to believe that God has preserved His Word to Mankind. If I did not believe that God had both provided and preserved the Bible as a Lamp unto my feet and a Light unto my path, I would not bother to believe in Him at all. The Bible can not be just a history book and also be an accurate representation of God's actions among man. God is supernatural and the Bible makes many claims about God that can not be proven historically. My mind can not even fathom a "God" who would be so weak and hidden. The Bible is a history book but it claims to be more than that and I can trust those claims and build a solid faith on that or I can distrust that God was able to do that for me, in which case, I'd probably just be an agnostic.

Belief in Jesus is not a saving faith. A saving kind of faith is one that compels you to trust Him and build upon Him. He is a Rock and He is very solid. If the Bible is just an inspired history book (which it is, in part), how could we trust for what is not history, for that which is coming? The Bible has much to say about the future and eternal security and "things to come". I don't know if I could rest and take comfort in those things if I believed it was just a history book and not a supernaturally revealed expression of God's activities in this world and His desire for me, which is that I Rest in Him. I believe the Bible is a history book but it's also a supernatural work that compels the human heart to Rest.

:iagree:Very well said Donna!!!

2 Peter 1:19- 21:

We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost

The Bible isn't just a history book because if this is not true about the Bible than the Bible is a fraud. It is a lie. It is not reliable because man is not reliable. It would be worthless. If I believed that, I'd be miserable. I would be on Prozac or something. Here, it is saying that we have a "more sure" word, that is talking about the written word, which is the Bible. The Bible claims to be prophetic. If it is not supernatural, it can not be prophetic. :)

Being a cradle Episcopalian as you say you were raised, I fully understand your take on scripture and on the faith. I have had to weed thru similar understandings to come to what I hold as true. The Episcopal church is so very broad--

I've become more conservative, as Episcopalians go, but I'm still not exactly 6 day creationist--it's not a salvation issue for me. I leave room for 6 day creation, tho. I also believe the Resurrection to be central, and I believe Jesus as fully human and fully divine. These two points are crucial for my faith. That's why I can't get on board with John Shelby Spong or with Marcus Borg.

I also believe that more is needed than simply acknowledging those two points--as they say, even the Devil believes in Jesus.

You are in a winnowing time--you are discerning what is true and powerful in your life, and that can be both scary and exhilarating. I wish you well!

One thing I would add--leave room for Holy Mystery in your life. You do not need to know everything--just remember who He is and who you are in Him. And that he loves you so very much.

and I believe Jesus as fully human and fully divine. These two points are crucial for my faith. That's why I can't get on board with John Shelby Spong or with Marcus Borg.

I was getting ready to find their books. Do they not believe in both His Divinity and humanity I believe both points and that both are crucial as well.

I was getting ready to find their books. Do they not believe in both His Divinity and humanity I believe both points and that both are crucial as well.

Here's a link about Spong--I'm sure I could find one about Borg, but I have to teach my dd! lol You may not agree with everything on this site, but he does make some very good points--and many non-Evangelical/Fundy types agree.

Ymmv, of course.

Dh likes NT Wright as a source--perhaps he'd be helpful.

There are many people who believe in God, His Son, Jesus Christ--and in evolution. Either old earth creationists or theist evolutionists, I believe.

There is a very comprehensive quiz that picks out what religions are close to what you currently believe--it's for entertainment officially, but it seems to be very, very accurate (pegged me at 100% of the exact religion that I am, lol, LDS), and it might be interesting to find out what denominations believe along hte lines of what you are sure of right now. http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

But mostly I'd be reading the scriptures and praying alone and as a family, and asking Him to guide you. :grouphug::grouphug:

Borg and Wright are friends/former colleagues and have friendly debates. I'd really recommend Borg to you Joanne even if you don't end up agreeing with him. I've seen him speak a lot, and he's very kind and nonconfrontational -- he's absolutely not trying to take away any more traditional beliefs, and kind of under-reveals his personal beliefs in all this. He's also coming at it more as a historian (than a theologian) since that's what he is. His writing is so good and accessible, though, it is worth reading for just that.

Spong I totally enjoy but he is more in one's face. I just got his newsletter and noticed he has a new book in paperback (which I haven't read) Jesus for the Non-Religious.

http://www.marcusjborg.com/index.html is Borg's site.

Edited by EmilyK
adding link

There are those of us on the liberal side of Christianity; I just don't think our voice is loud enough (at least at this time) to be heard. I was not raised anything, but came to the church as an adult. The only churches in which I have had experience have been evangelical/fundamental churches - conservative Christianity. It has been amazing to see that there are other ways of seeing things and that there isn't only one true way. In terms of authors, I would recommend Marcus Borg and Brian McLaren. Spong is good for getting a radical opinion, but at least for me, he is too radical. Borg and McLaren can help see how you can have a deep, true, amazing faith in God and Jesus without taking the Bible literally, being a young-earth creationist, or believing that everyone else is going to hell. (Not that all conservative Christians believe that, but at least in most every church I have been in, those were the underlying beliefs.) To me, the Bible in deeply Truth, but it is not, again in my opinion, written by God. But, it reveals profound truth and is something on which I rest my faith. It is possible to have faith in God, believe in Jesus, and not believe the Bible is God's literal Word. (And using the Bible itself as proof-text is a logical fallacy, in my opinion.)

Right now I do not have a church and my kids are not part of a church group. When I do go (usually by myself), I return to our old church (evangelical). Honestly it is the music that draws me there as music is very powerful for me. I am teaching my boys. We are using the Bible Study for All Ages as it so far is a good way to teach the Bible without any one interpretation of the Bible (there is a common theme to each lesson - for instance, the last lesson was fleeing temptation; we just started it, but so far I like it). We also do prayer together at night as a family, and I am teaching my boys some common prayers as well as how to pray freely

thank you for all of the insights. I should have added that we do currently attend an Episcopal church. DH was raised Catholic so I doubt he would go for anything too far from that course-KWIM? I hope that as I HS the girls next year and do Bible work with them that I rediscover my own faith. Attending CC classes once per week will also serve to introduce a more Christian approach for them. With any luck the faith and love you ladies exude will spring flow through the computer and into me! I envy so many of you!!:)

Here's a link about Spong--I'm sure I could find one about Borg, but I have to teach my dd! lol You may not agree with everything on this site, but he does make some very good points--and many non-Evangelical/Fundy types agree.

Ymmv, of course.

Dh likes NT Wright as a source--perhaps he'd be helpful.

Our dhs really need to meet!!!! And, I'd love to meet you too! We have a couple of open Episcopal churches here in the Detroit area. Want to apply?? Dh would love a like-minded priest in the diocese!!! :lol:

With the ideal goal of family unity, have you spoken to your dh about this? Would he like you to consider the Catholic Church? Would you both be interested in going through RCIA (adult classes teaching the catholic faith)? Although these classes are taken by those interested in converting/returning to the Church, many people take them simply to learn. Some stay and join the Church. Some don't. But it would be a starting point to explore these questions in an environment where everyone is exploring. There is usually not any pressure either. Just honest answers about church teachings. Whether you can accept those answers is up to you.

My questions and uncertainty led me to the Catholic church. It wasn't an easy journey.

Praying you find peace in Him.

Catholics believe in evolution.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the Church allows its members to believe in evolution, as long as they also believe it was "initiated" (for lack of a better word) by God? IOW, the Church doesn't specify whether there was Special Creation or evolution from slime on the rock, as long as they believe that the slime came from God in the first place.

I so want my kids to have stronger faith and feel more secure in what they believe. Does ANY of this make sense?

Do you need to have someone tell you it's ok to be quite convicted in your loose beliefs? You can have strong faith in a liberal view point. You seem to be considering strong faith and conservative religion to be the same thing. I have a strong faith in my beliefs, but those beliefs are probably amongst the loosest on this board.

It seems to me that you know what you believe, since you managed to type it out, you just don't like believing that way. Keep studying and you'll eventually arrive somewhere that works for you.

Rosie

I agree with Rosie, though I understand the struggle to want to believe something more conservative. Now, though, I actually feel that my faith is stronger having much more liberal/progressive Christian beliefs as the gnawing questions and concerns are gone (trying to make contradictions disappear, trying to justify supposed actions done by God, etc.).

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the Church allows its members to believe in evolution, as long as they also believe it was "initiated" (for lack of a better word) by God? IOW, the Church doesn't specify whether there was Special Creation or evolution from slime on the rock, as long as they believe that the slime came from God in the first place.

Yes, it is God "initiated" evolution.

Right there with ya. Read "Jesus for the Non-Religious" by John Shelby Spong. You are definitely not alone. :)

Our dhs really need to meet!!!! And, I'd love to meet you too! We have a couple of open Episcopal churches here in the Detroit area. Want to apply?? Dh would love a like-minded priest in the diocese!!! :lol:

I'd love to meet you, too! A lot of our like-minded priests left to join CANA and the other off-shoots or whatever you call them. It's sad that the conservative voice of the Episcopal church is being shouted down.

Now back to your regular programming...

Sorta. Catholics believe in God. The Church says that IF Darwin was right, it does not contradict God. Whether an individual catholic believes in Darwin or not is up to them.

I would say that the Church acknowedges the science of evolution, and says it is not in contradiction to faith.

http://www.cin.org/jp2evolu.html

"What is a Catholic to make of this? To anyone who knows even a little

theology and science, the choice presented here is clearly false. In this,

as in so many other heated controversies, the first casualty is truth. The

Catholic faith is dedicated to truth, indeed to Truth Himself. And

science, open-mindedly and fairly exercised, is committed to the pursuit

of truthful knowledge. A Catholic should suspect, therefore, even before

studying the question closely, that faith and scientific knowledge must

complement, not contradict, each other."

http://www.ewtn.com/library/HUMANITY/EVOLUTN.TXT

Kristen the fact that you want your children to have a stronger faith is awesome! Maybe you could start with some spiritual readings - read the Bible, read some books, learn about the Christian faith. Then share what you learn with your children. Pray with them. Doesn't have to be any formal prayers - although they're great - but just start talking with them to God. A journey begins with the first step. :) Maybe you can go to a bookstore and look through some of the children's Bibles or Bible story books and see if there's one you feel comfortable with and then share it with your children. Open up dialog with them. I think you'd be amazed that they'll be eager to talk with you about all of this.

There's more to this life than this life. We want our children to do well in this life, but we also want to make sure that they're headed in the right direction in the next. ;)

I hear you! Let's see... I was christened Catholic. My parents, originally cradle Catholics, moved away from the Catholic church and became flaming Southern Baptists. I left their house and the Church for a while as I struggled to find my own faith. Dh and I attended a variety of churches. We ended up in the LCMS (Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod). I found myself drawn to the Liturgy. I enjoy being part of something bigger than myself.

Do I agree with everything the LCMS says? Nope. I am an old-earth creationist/ theistic evolutionist. (Basically, it took a long time, but God set it in motion. I don't know how He did it and frankly I don't care.) I don't care one flying flip if gay people marry one another. I completely support the sanctity of human life, which means I am both pro-life and anti-death penalty. (That is God's job, not mine.) I do believe the book of Revelation was written in figurative language, meaning essentially I am amillenialist. I am working my way through deciphering my stance on interpreting the Bible literally vs. figuratively. I do believe in Truth. I kinda mostly believe in one true way to God, though honestly, I just don't like to think about it. I consider Catholics, Orthodox (the many variations of Orthodox), LDS, and Jehovah Witness to be Christian. I am sooooooooooo not legalistic, which is what drew me to the LCMS, as they draw distinct lines between Law and Gospel. I secretly want to return to the Catholic church (due to those guilt-inducing "Catholic Come Home" commercials) but know my dh would likely not go for it and my father would have a stroke, cow, and coronary AT THE SAME TIME! I am constantly questioning my faith. I think that makes it stronger. I find myself relating more to the Democratic party (:svengo:), which my father, the Southern Baptist minister, thinks is essentially siding with Satan.

It is a lifelong journey for me. I will constantly be learning and revising my beliefs as I go. Yes, like you, I want my kids to have a strong faith. We just read the Bible. We pray. We talk about God. My oldest dd will start LCMS confirmation classes next year. It is hard. Very hard. But honestly, I think our kids will benefit from seeing our journey. We can show our children that it is ok to question their faith. It is ok to revise your beliefs.

I hope you find the peace of God at the end of your road. Just take heart that you are not alone in your struggles.

There is a very comprehensive quiz that picks out what religions are close to what you currently believe--it's for entertainment officially, but it seems to be very, very accurate (pegged me at 100% of the exact religion that I am, lol, LDS), and it might be interesting to find out what denominations believe along hte lines of what you are sure of right now. http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

Well, that was interesting. My top five were:

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)

2. New Age (98%)

3. Scientology (87%)

4. Unitarian Universalism (85%)

5. New Thought (84%)

I can easily rule out the first three, carefully rule out the fourth but the fifth sounds pretty darm close to what I believe. Wouldn't you know that there isn't a real name for it. It more like, you know, a new idea. :001_smile:

Haven't read all the replies, sorry if this has been mentioned, but you might think about the Unitarian church. It is Christian, but more liberal in belief. Our UU church had Jewish, gay, and atheist (yes, atheist!) members. It was a great group of tolerant people.

Edited by Mejane

Well, that was interesting. My top five were:

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)

2. New Age (98%)

3. Scientology (87%)

4. Unitarian Universalism (85%)

5. New Thought (84%)

I can easily rule out the first three, carefully rule out the fourth but the fifth sounds pretty darm close to what I believe. Wouldn't you know that there isn't a real name for it. It more like, you know, a new idea. :001_smile:

Actually, New Thought is a real name, referring to a specific set of beliefs espoused by Unity, and a few other churches as well. I can't remember what the others are at the moment, but I attended a Unity church for about a year, and it was a very wonderful and important part of my journey. http://www.unity.org/

I think it is very human to question and I do not think you are alone at all. Not that long ago I was where you are now. I ended up going back to my roots, but I still have questions.

I would recommend looking at the Episcopal church again. Dig into what the beliefs are. See where you stand as an adult looking at the beliefs. Often times one only know what one has learned as a child (Sunday school). Some people never learn about their faith as an adult.

If the Episcopal church is not what you are looking for, you'll have a pretty good idea on which way to go. If you want more check into more conservative churches such as the Lutheran, Fundamentalist or even Orthodox or Catholic. If you want less, search search out churches like the Universal Unitarians.

Don't forget to pray about it. Ask God to lead you where he wants you to go.

I so want my kids to have stronger faith and feel more secure in what they believe. Does ANY of this make sense?

My ten year old daughter has accompanied me on my journey from atheist, to Buddhist, to Orthodox Christian. What a wild ride for a kid aged birth to ten!

There are times that I want to weep, wishing so much that she'd been born into the Orthodox Church. There are times I feel that way about myself too. :) But, it is what it is, and what it is ain't all bad. My daughter got to see my process of questioning and growing. She knows that my faith is a result of my explorations and my journey, that I arrived at it not just because it was what I was always taught, but because I was searching, in every way I knew how, for Truth. And she is witnessing the transformation it is making in my own life (slowly, because of my own stubbornness and resistance, but surely, because of God's love), and in hers, now that we have found it.

I guess all of that is to say that I don't think you would be doing your children any disservice by letting them know you are going through a process of questioning and seeking right now. That process can make one's faith even stronger, including a child's, I believe. Because they will know what you've gone through to arrive at your destination.

Well I'm not Christian, so I hope you don't mind me chiming in here. I just wanted to throw out there that searching out some other churches in your area that seem to have viewpoints that are similar to you may work. I've seen several churches in my area that advertise as "Just Christian", non-denominational.

The Unitarian Universalist Churches also seem to be very accepting and often celebratory of different viewpoints.

I don't believe that there is one "right" way for all, but there can be a "right" way for you as an individual.

I, personally, believe that one's own personal relationship with God trumps pretty much all else. Turning inward or even just 'talking with' God can itself make one more spiritual and guide you in the right direction. .

I'm not a Christian but I am a student of religions. I also spend time each day cultivating my relationship with God. My experience is that God is expressed through our lives when we do not get in the way. Having rigid beliefs informed by childhood indoctrination or a parent's expectation could be counter-productive. Questioning belief is healthy, leads to letting go of false or unhealthy attitudes, and makes room for more sophisticated and mature spiritual understanding. Parents who find their own connection to God and then have the courage to change and grow within that connection will model for their children a strength of spirit that endures change, requires self-awareness, and couples intellectual honesty with spirtually integrity. Show them how to learn, seek out truth, and respect faith that leads to service and happiness and they will find their own way to our Creator.

Add a bit of salt to my $.02 and, of course, YMMV.

Oh, sure, you could read some books and whatnot, but it is the Church which will answer your questions.

It is the BIBLE that will answer their questions!

We were brought up going to church but the Bible was never opened in our home (or our church for that matter) and prayers were only said at meals (same one) and bedtime (same one). No wonder my brother was turned off by it!

God and His Word are what make the difference and transform you! Read His Word and make sure you attend churches that teach His Word (not rituals)!

Maybe you should look into the differences between denominations a bit more and find one that fits better. One can certainly have a very strong, inspiring and life-changing faith in the God and Jesus of the Bible without taking all parts of the Bible literally.

There's always Belief-O-Matic if you're truly stumped.

It is the BIBLE that will answer their questions!

We were brought up going to church but the Bible was never opened in our home (or our church for that matter) and prayers were only said at meals (same one) and bedtime (same one). No wonder my brother was turned off by it!

God and His Word are what make the difference and transform you! Read His Word and make sure you attend churches that teach His Word (not rituals)!

You are sounding a little harsh here.

You are sounding a little harsh here.

Sorry! It's just that my brother (closest example) and MANY other non-believers I know grew up in the church and that is exactly what turned them away from God! I am not saying that the church is bad but they are just people and I pray for my brother everyday that he will search out God's Word and see God for who He is, not the hypocrites that turned him away from God!

I love my church but I would not tell someone to go to "a" church for the answers b/c of the experiences I have had w/various denominations, etc.

Sorry! It's just that my brother (closest example) and MANY other non-believers I know grew up in the church and that is exactly what turned them away from God! I am not saying that the church is bad but they are just people and I pray for my brother everyday that he will search out God's Word and see God for who He is, not the hypocrites that turned him away from God!

I love my church but I would not tell someone to go to "a" church for the answers b/c of the experiences I have had w/various denominations, etc.

Okay. I guess that is what works for you.

It may be the format of the conversation, but it is sounding like you are putting down:

People who are searching

People who do not take the Bible as literal

People who attend churches with liturgical services

People who attend churches with rituals

People who attend many different churches and like it that way

People who are not Christians

We are a very diverse group here. That needs to be taken into account when making statements that could be seen as your way is the best/only way or that it has to be your way or no way.

Haven't read all the replies, sorry if this has been mentioned, but you might think about the Unitarian church. It is Christian, but more liberal in belief. Our UU church had Jewish, gay, and atheist (yes, atheist!) members. It was a great group of tolerant people.

Society of Friends is like this too, but with more of a Christian flavor.

I am not saying that the church is bad but they are just people and I pray for my brother everyday that he will search out God's Word and see God for who He is, not the hypocrites that turned him away from God!

Funnily enough, church can cure people of Christianity for reasons other than hypocracy.

Rosie

Okay. I guess that is what works for you.

It may be the format of the conversation, but it is sounding like you are putting down:

People who are searching

People who do not take the Bible as literal

People who attend churches with liturgical services

People who attend churches with rituals

People who attend many different churches and like it that way

People who are not Christians

We are a very diverse group here. That needs to be taken into account when making statements that could be seen as your way is the best/only way or that it has to be your way or no way.

NO! when the person said that "it is the church that will answer your questions" it made it sound like the church (ie people, not God) had all the answers. I was just saying that if you want to know more about God, go to His source! :D

Sorry for rubbing you the wrong way...