Menu

swimming suits

Last year, my daughter got some exercise pants (almost knee length, black), a sports bra and a sleeveless solid jersey (pink) to use as a bathing suit. We did see someone online we were interested in but we didn't like the price. She liked piecing it together herself. She was 16 last summer. Here is a pic more my daughter's style (She'd never do a V-neck, but it's the same idea).

NiagaraFalls.jpg

Here is a website I looked at a couple weeks ago: http://www.modestclothes.com/modest-swimsuits-modest-swimwear.html It lists sites for "kind of modest," "more modest," and "very modest." Let's just say I'm seeking less modest than I thought I was while wondering how some things pass as "modest" at all.

PS The above pic was from HydroChic.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I'm okay with a regular swimsuit that covers their stomachs. I do at this point buy tops for all my kids that are like t-shirts because they have built in SPF 50 and they keep the kids from burning their very pale shoulders. I personally wear a skirted bottom but mostly to cover up stretch marks on my thighs compliments of child #2.

Would I put that exact swimsuit on my girls when they are older? I guess it depends on my standards of modesty when we get to that point. Right now? I don't think so. Down the road if DH and I feel convicted otherwise? I think it is a pretty tasteful modesty suit compared to some I've seen. Would they stand out like a sore thumb amongst other beach-goers? Absolutely. Would they get teased for wearing something like that at summer camp? Probably. Despite not having gone to our church summer camp in over 10 years, I know exactly which girls went to camp wearing suits like that over the last 5 years because it's talked about. A bit sad that it is such a BIG DEAL even amongst Christians who all claim modesty as a standard that an actually "modest" swimsuit would be talked about as gossip. The parents labeled "extreme."

No. She likes suits that I consider modest as it is--generally Lands End tankinis or one piece suits. And 90% of the time she wears a pair of long board shorts over that. She can't even stand it if a strip of tummy shows, although I'd have no problem with that. From talking to ds16, wearing board shorts and covering cleavage will probably be highest on my requirements as she gets older.

Would they stand out like a sore thumb amongst other beach-goers? Absolutely. Would they get teased for wearing something like that at summer camp? Probably. Despite not having gone to our church summer camp in over 10 years, I know exactly which girls went to camp wearing suits like that over the last 5 years because it's talked about. A bit sad that it is such a BIG DEAL even amongst Christians who all claim modesty as a standard that an actually "modest" swimsuit would be talked about as gossip. The parents labeled "extreme."

this is one of things I thought about...although do we make decisions for our families based on what others will say??? I know...this is a tough question...UGH!

*I* would like it for myself!

I let my kids wear regular swimsuits, but I'd love to hide my not-so-nice-to-look-at thighs.

Getting fat isn't always fun. Plus it also means I wouldn't have to shave near the top of my legs. Another perk. But that's an old lady talking.

yea...I thought they looked comfortable to wear camping and such...and the sahving thing...never htought about that...but that would be a great perk...hmmm

We don't do tummies--only one piece suits. Our favs are Speedo swimsuits because they are designed for swimming.

I grew up wearing string bikinis--Mom thought I was cute--so modesty isn't in my veins naturally, but I do find myself teaching my dd differently.

I don't like the modest suits, because I think they call too much attention to themselves, but rash guards/board shorts are fine with me. I do find them hot when you are not in the water, and that's another consideration.

To each his own, y'know? This is what works for my family.

Generally I don't care what others think (and my daughter REALLY doesn't).

The only concern *I* have is that people will think our choice is due to our religion. I worry that same thing about or diet and homeschooling though. I don't want people to think my choices are dictated, to the level we decide, by religion. A certain degree is scripturally based, but past that is individual choice (preference, conscience, our own weirdness, etc).

It would be SILLY and weird and uncomfortable (if not also immature), though, to eat "normally," put our kids in school, or wear a bathing suit we weren't comfy with just because someone else has an opinion about it.

Key word: Balance :D

I'll show the link to my girls but think they would also not like to draw attention to themselves by standing out from the crowd.The 14 YO likes the new Lands End 2 piece that covers the bust & has a matching skirt for lake wadeing, conoeing & by the pool.They don't mind a little middle showing.No high cut legs , well covered top/front, nothing floating up on them in the water.

I doubt it. We're all swimmers in this home, and also live 2 blocks from the beach. We cover up to and from the beach, but wear regular old swim suits that I would describe as "nothing that overly accentuates anyone's attributes."

The particular amount of skin revealed doesn't really matter to me on others. We're generally not all that excited about skin around here. I should also add though that if I saw this modest style on someone else, I certainly wouldn't think much about it at all. It is nice to have choices.

No, I'm pretty comfortable with dd wearing relatively "modest" Lands' End tankinis (two piece with significant overlap so her tummy doesn't show, but it makes dressing and using the toilet much easier) and similar suits. My kids do sometimes (not always) wear rash guards. If I were more concerned with "modesty", I think I'd just go with rash guards full time and board-shorts for dd. I don't think it's necessarily "modest" to wear a suit that makes one really stand out in a crowd and look odd. I'd be willing to do that if I were truly convinced that there was no suitable option that *didn't* stand out... But if the kids can be (in my mind) reasonably modest *and* more subtle, I'm going to choose subtle.

I also agree with those who say that the suits at that site are more for wading around than actual *swimming*. I'd rather encourage active physical play rather than just sitting around (where there's more opportunity for "looking" anyway!)...

Yes, we would and do wear suits like that. We don't swim competitively or anything, though. I'm sure we stick out, but oh well. We also try to avoid swimming in places where there are crowds of people wearing less modest suits. (Like the outdoor water park we went to last summer - my goodness - i've never seen so many almost fully exposed booKs in my life! I'm not talking about the normal Lands End stuff - but the string, ill-fitting-sliding down-crack exposing, etc... Yuck!)

Anyway... just thought some of you would be interested in hearing from one side of the spectrum.

Oh, and I like how we can wear our suits anywhere and not feel the need to cover up.

I have a 9.5 yo who is quite tall. So finding a tankini that covers her tummy/doesn't float up, is very hard. And she's just starting to develop, so finding one in a thicker fabric is important too, or a slight shelf bra. But she's also quite particular to the way it feels, can't stand too much fabric, etc. I have to admit that I'm this way too! I hate it when I want to wear a skirted suit and then it's all floaty or shorts that are binding.

At this point my priorities are one piece to cover tummy, and shorts to cover the rear. I don't have to worry about cleavage yet. I am glad that long board shorts are "in" (or they were last year) because we will probably do that over a one piece. I grabbed a pair at Old Navy in January when I saw them - and a matching rash guard, but I don't think she'll wear the rash guard much.

This has been on my mind as we approach summer because last year I was so self-conscious! I was new to homeschooling and new to the whole idea of that much modesty. It had just not come up before. So when we had the opportunity to swim with new homeschooling friends I felt very judged in our one-piece suits when they had on all this other coverage. Especially since most of them are >9yo and had nothing to cover! It just seemed so...overkill. This year I am going for more balance. I want myself and dd covered appropriately, but not so much so that we stick out like sore thumbs or are uncomfortable. We live in TX and swim A LOT in the summer.

Absolutely ! Thank you for the link. Perhaps we'll acquire one for this year.

Yes, it *is* for "actual swimming". Not swimteam competitions, but of course it is suitable (pun) for real swimming.

If people snidely think that we are wearing a modest swimsuit "because of our religion", I don't give a flip. It is because of our religion !

Would your daughters wear something like this...whould you like your daughters to wear somehting like this...instead of the "normal" swimming suit?

Swim Modest: Modest Swimwear & Swimsuits!

so what sort of suit do you think you will use??

Well, I need to get her to try on everything from last year to see what still fits. We did buy a Lands End tankini top and skirt bottom last year that was quite cute, and covered up the bottom nicely, but her legs are so long that I wished she'd had a tad bit more coverage there. So we have the long board shorts and I was quite surprised when she said she'd wear them. I think she saw them so much last year at the pool that it finally convinced her that they were "cool". I think I will look for 2 one-piece suits that can match them and we'll go with that. Like I said, she also has the rash guard, but I doubt she'll wear it much. I got it mostly for playing out of the water - but I think they are HOT if you aren't wet.

My dd is the type that wants to have 5 swimsuits, but as they are expensive I'm not doing that anymore. I think 2 suits and 2 shorts that could potentially be interchangeable is enough!

Lands End has really cute swim shorts for girls (just like boys' trunks only with flowers and butterflies) and matching rash guard shirts.

They are modest without looking too 'different'. My girls love them, (and I do too because it's much easier to take the little ones potty - vs. trying to peel off a wet one piece.) ;)

th_IMG_4545.jpg

If you are looking for modest but stylish swimsuits here are a couple for you to consider for your daughter.

www.limericki.com - lots of options and fun vibrant colors and patterns

www.christa-taylor.com -only one suit but very cute

www.diviinemodestee.com this has suits that are modest but cute for all ages (little girls up to women)

Edited by the4Rs

I put my DD in one of the swimsuits from Target (for some reason Wal-Mart, which would be more convenient, doesn't carry them past infants) that's a shorts-and-rashguard combo. I'm going to need a new suit for myself this year, too, because I've lost so much weight. I'll probably go with something like this: http://www.hydrochic.com/34slswsh.html 3/4 sleeve rashguard w/ swim bra, and a pair of men's board shorts (I'd rather have hydrochic swim shorts, but NO WAY will I be able to afford both!). I'm not partial to wearing a skirt into the water. Too bulky.

This type of swimsuit is suitable for us to play at the splash park in the sun in the Phoenix summer as well as wear in the pool.

If you are looking for modest but stylish swimsuits here are a couple for you to consider for your daughter.

www.limericki.com - lots of options and fun vibrant colors and patterns

www.christa-taylor.com -only one suit but very cute

www.diivinemodestee.com this has suits that are modest but cute for all ages (little girls up to women)

Thanks for the links. I thought the Lime Ricki suits were adorable! I may buy one for myself this year. I wasn't thrilled with the Christa Taylor one, but her dresses are just my style (although a little out of my budget).

Wendi

I would wear it because I burn and I like to be covered. My dd would not be happy if I asked her to wear that. She wants a bikini. We compromise on the Land's End tankini. Well, truthfully, she would go nude if she could. She finds clothes cumbersome. She likes to be free. Both my kids wear rash guards in the water because they burn like I do.

No, we wouldn't wear something like that. We swim in the ocean and swimming in waves would be tough in something with too much fabric.

My eldest has this swimsuit and my middle dd has this swimsuit they are attractive and cover everything I think should be covered in swimwear.

eta: I would be very hesitant to have my dds wear a top that is loose fitting because I've seen women have them pulled off of their body due to rough waves. A top needs to fit tightly (at least across the chest) in the ocean.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Definitely not. My girls want to wear a swim suit, not water-safe clothing. All of my girls are naturally modest and we find suits that work for us.

:iagree:

I have a 15 wit a gorgeous body and I have never once imposed modesty on her. She's mindful of her own limits. But, skin doesn't bother us at all. As littles they used to play naked in the all summer long. (My neighbors never minded, they were French Canadian and she used to let her own kids play naked. Devout Catholics at that, too.)

She is a girly-girl and has one of these: http://www.liliesapparel.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?account=X309466;search=swimwear;search=Swimwear;limit=category;v=2.0. This is mainly for playing around. We tried a suit from the company listed by the OP, and it didn't fit as well. She also had a suit from Ohana and wore a Land's End suit before, but she likes the skirt style. If she takes more swimming lessons this summer, I'm figuring that we'll have to get her another Ohana or Land's End suit.

I mix-and-match from Land's End. It fits my middle-aged, short-waisted body. ;)

probably not b/c I am not a fan of skirts.

Mine are little but they wear a surfing shirt (rash guard) and board shorts or a unitard (kind w/shorts, not pants). dd1 is getting older and it is getting harder to find these things so she will wear a one piece and just wear board shorts over it...that's what I do too.

Definitely NO tummies and we try no (upper) thighs too...

Edited by kmacnchs

I thought I'd just reiterate that sun protection, rather than modesty, is my main concern when imposing a rash-guard shirt style swimsuit, esp. for my DD. We live in Arizona and many people are WAY too cavalier about sun exposure, plus I like to limit how many chemicals we have to slather on ourselves!

I wouldn't wear it to the beach. We're all about teaching that the human body is beautiful; covering tummies, legs, etc. for the sake of modesty has never really made much sense to me, I guess. Not to mention that it looks darn near impossible to swim in.

I might wear it to lounge in, if it was comfortable. I can see how it would be useful for wading with a small child, as it would probably dry more quickly than a normal sundress.

Lands End has really cute swim shorts for girls (just like boys' trunks only with flowers and butterflies) and matching rash guard shirts.

They are modest without looking too 'different'. My girls love them, (and I do too because it's much easier to take the little ones potty - vs. trying to peel off a wet one piece.) ;)

th_IMG_4545.jpg

This is what I got for my girls last year. They had no problems wearing them and we even had swim lessons in them with no issues.

My oldest does want a suit this year to wear under her shorts and shirt. She is concerned that the shirt will float up.