Menu

Young teen girls, swimming, and that time

How do you handle this? 14dd has started a few months ago. She is mildly mentally impaired and very tiny for her age (size 8-12 girls clothes). She has done well so far with the pads, changing them, etc.

She is on a Special Olympics swim team though and I know this issue is going to come up soon. Since they only swim once a week, she could sit out a practice (as some of the other girls do) but I know she would be very upset to miss their competition, state level games, swimming at summer camp, etc.

Do you make pons an option? If so, which ones are the easiest/smallest for a tiny girl? Any other options?

She is a child that is in the neighbor's pool 5-6 days a week in the summer so this will be an issue come summer.

they make ones for light days that are smaller. Start with those. I would gently explain how it works, and let her try. You may be surprised. She may have no trouble at all. I would also explain to her that this is the only way she will be able to continue swimming during that time of the month. It's good to have some motivation. :001_smile:

If she can't do it, then just take a few days off each month. She may not care that she misses or maybe she will and then try again.

For what it's worth, both my girls started kind-of young. One had no trouble, the other had issues for months but then figured it out when she got desperate enough.

I've always wondered why people were against young girls using tampons?

Diva cups and Instead are a lot harder to use/bigger than tampons. I would teach her how to use pons. (verbally, of course!)

It makes me very uncomfortable. I had a difficult time with them when I was younger and now, as an adult, don't use them at all.

I was under the impression that diva cups weren't as invasive, iykwIm.

She is mildly mentally impaired and very tiny for her age (size 8-12 girls clothes). She has done well so far with the pads, changing them, etc.

Will she understand the purpose of a pon? Do you think the idea of inserting and extracting it will make understandable sense to her? If there is any question about that, totally skip it. There is a lot of ick factors involved in that whole thing, not the least of which is the mess. Rather than scar her (if she won't completely understand), I'd forego a swimming practice here and there.

My dd just turned 11. Last year she quit regular weekly swim classes because she just didn't want to deal with the pons. Even now she will skip an outing just because she can't wrap her head around, as she calls it, "the ick factor." All things in time.

I would encourage her to learn to use tampons.

She may need hands on assistance to learn how to do this. If you're not comfortable doing this, or if you think she won't be, see if you can find a friendly female gynecologist who can help. I think if you explained the issue, there would be a dr or a gyne nurse willing to help - possibly even for free. Around here we have women's sexual health clinics staffed by the nicest, gentlest folks.

Another option instead of tampons is a diva cup, a Keeper, or just a plain sea sponge (cut it smaller if you need to). Dip the sponge in warm water, wring it out & insert. The trick with sponges is that they're sometimes harder to get out as there's no string. OTOH, they're easier to insert and not likely to irritate.

Whatever she uses, she needs to remove it as soon as she's done swimming.

I used tampons almost from the start of my period b/c I was a cheerleader. I just used the junior version. Was I thrilled about it at first? No, but much better than pads. A cup (which I use when not pregnant) is wonderful, but still has to be inserted and is more "invasive". Not to get into too much detail, but if a tampon is a no, then a cup, diva or instead, will be more of a no. It's bigger. I think the only thing to do is sit down and talk to your dd. You'll know how she feels about it and if she's ready for it.

Another option instead of tampons is a diva cup, a Keeper, or just a plain sea sponge (cut it smaller if you need to). Dip the sponge in warm water, wring it out & insert. The trick with sponges is that they're sometimes harder to get out as there's no string. OTOH, they're easier to insert and not likely to irritate.

Whatever she uses, she needs to remove it as soon as she's done swimming.

Hmmm, I never even knew that was an option. Would you consider them reusable (that may sound like a stupid question, sorry if it is, but I've never even heard of using those)?

I don't see why a kid who sees the point of using a pad wouldn't see the same point in using a tampon?

Yes, I would be very willing to let her try tampons. Unfortunately, if she is that small, you may have trouble finding ones to fit. My dd had trouble with them for that reason, and so did I when I was younger. We found 'slenders' but not anything marked junior or teen, and I've checked all the usual stores.

The ick factor? Well, it bothers some girls more than others. I think that an extremely matter of fact attitude on our part can help with that. Of course, it's fine if a girl doesn't want to use tampons, but I can't imagine swimming without them. Pads, a swimming pool, and a heavy flow have a much higher ick factor than tampons do, imo :D

I do think it is far easier to show, rather than tell, how to use a tampon. Aiming those things wrong hurts like heck! And I want to model openness in this area, I want my dds to be comfortable saying, hey mom, is this normal, take a look, wouldya? I don't want the embarrassment level to be so high that they keep potential health issues private for too long.

If she can't use a tampon, or doesn't wish to, they do sell non-disposable swim diapers for adults and older children, meant to be worn under a swim suit (or alone, for boys). She could still wear a pad, but the swim diaper would keep everything contained. Anyone handy with a needle and thread could make something similar, meant to be worn over a pad.

The ick factor? Well, it bothers some girls more than others. I think that an extremely matter of fact attitude on our part can help with that. Of course, it's fine if a girl doesn't want to use tampons, but I can't imagine swimming without them. Pads, a swimming pool, and a heavy flow have a much higher ick factor than tampons do, imo :D

I do think it is far easier to show, rather than tell, how to use a tampon.

I agree. But the op's daughter has some mental impairments and sometimes such personal issues are harder to understand. My sister (who is mentally handicapped) would never, ever understand the deal with tampons and it would be a horrible, confusing experience for her to attempt such a thing.

With young girls, I think letting them know and explore all the options is a really great idea. I wish I could convince dd that she doesn't have to give up all the fun stuff just because she's a girl. But, I don't think she's there yet.

I had a really hard time with tampons when I was young. It could have been being small or I was using the wrong size, doing something wrong, etc. I don't know. That was a LONG time ago. My mom didn't really help me there.

If my daughter were older and I had to consider this I would think about the natural sea sponge option or one of the cups. There are disposable cups and reusable cups.

If you are considering one of the cup options I would recommend checking out their websites and reading about the products.

Diva Cup

Instead Cup

The Keeper

Lunette Cup

Femme Cup (this one actually looks smaller to me, so it might be a good choice for someone younger)

Lady Cup

When I was a teen, I used tampax "slender regular" tampons to swim. I started using them at about age 14 and never had a problem.

If they don't make the slender regular anymore, you may try the tampax light days. Unfortunately, if she has a very heavy flow, she will likely leak through the light days. You definitely have to match the flow to the tampon. If she is barely bleeding or just spotting, I wouldn't have her use anything at all. Using a tampon when you are barely bleeding increases the risk of TSS...as does using one for too long.

My eldest uses tampons because we go the beach, she plays soccer, etc. There are extra slim ones made for teens. I would start there. Try the ones with and without applicators, see which ones work better for her.

I could never get the hang of getting Instead to seal properly so that it didn't leak. I haven't tried a diva cup but they are bigger and seem like they would be more threatening in a case like this.

They do make sea sponges specifically intended to be used as tampons. However, does anyone have any direct experience using them while swimming?

Here are some tips for using them: http://www.pandorapads.com/sponge.htm

My flow is too heavy for them now but I used to use one. Good for about 6 mos :)

Thank you, but LOL @ the picture of the woman holding a sponge nearly as big as her body... I know that's just a natural sponge, but my first thought was holy cow.

I agree with Hornblower.

Knowing how to use a slender applicator tampon is an excellent skill to have in the Girl Toolbox. Even if you don't often use them, they can be very handy in certain situations.

A DIVA cup is a bit more tricky to use. You have to make sure you don't spill it on retrival and you have to have a little baggie or case ready to store it. You can't throw it away in the bathroom stall bin. For many a young woman, a tampon is going to be easier to do deal with when out and about in the world, or in a bathroom stall at swimming practice.

PS I've worked with teens in various programs and sometimes they ask very specific questions about such things. One year at a camp I worked, a teen's mother had packed tampons, just in case. The girl had never used one. When she asked me why they hurt so much , and said she could feel it, I asked her to show me the box so I could see what type they were. After a bit of chit chat, it turned out she didn't understand the applicator part...and never separated the pieces. Ouch. I showed her how the applicator slid the cotton up and out...wasted a tampon, but then she understood. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Thanks for all of the ideas. I will present the tampon as an option. Even if she just wears it for the hour of swimming that would be fine. I know it is easier to learn to use one during a heavier part of the flow. If she doesn't want that option, I will gladly let her sit out.

She is mentally impaired and tests with a very low IQ but yet in many ways functions very well so she just might take this in stride as well.

I have always found tampons much less ichy than pads. I have used tampons since I was 10 with no problems. my mum wrote to one of the company's that make them, and they sent me a beginner pack, with very small ones for younger girls etc. along with heaps of information on how to insert, how often to change etc.etc. it worked really well for me. I plan to do the same for my daughter.

re. Natural sea sponges. I really think that if to many women start using them it wouldn't be all that great. sea sponges are an almost endangered animal as it is.

My bi-polar LD dd learned how to use the tampons based on the instructions in the box without any consult at all. I wasn't even aware she was using them until after the fact. She has older sisters so they are available in every bathroom. I, of course, explained everything to her before she got her period and made sure she knew what supplies we had but she chose what to use on her own and figured out how to do so on her own. I think if you give her an explanation and show her the diagrams on the instruction she will understand and then she can decide. They do have slender small sizes and ones with smooth plastic applicators that are easier to use and more comfortable. My teens use a sport kind I think.

I wish I had learned to use tampons when I first started. As a teen I sat out of many swimming parties, beach days, and was very uncomfortable at school and afraid of leaking. I'm so glad I began using them as an adult. Now I do not dread that time of the month as much as I used to as a teen.

I wish I had learned to use tampons when I first started. As a teen I sat out of many swimming parties, beach days, and was very uncomfortable at school and afraid of leaking. I'm so glad I began using them as an adult. Now I do not dread that time of the month as much as I used to as a teen.

:iagree:I could have written that!

I just wanted to say that I personally find the Diva Cup less intrusive and much more comfortable. I do feel there is a difference. For me, using a tampon was sort of like using a stick.....using a cup is like using nothing. I truly do not feel it when in properly. I am not familiar with the different sizes and brands though.

I would not consider it more invasive as far as feeling like something is er...up there...because it is hard to even tell. It is more invasive, though ,in the the actual inserting and taking out....that is what I would be concerned about I suppose for your daughter.

The diva cup has been as bordeline miracle in my life. I love it so much and wish I would have known about it years ago.

emerald

Thanks for all of the ideas. I will present the tampon as an option. Even if she just wears it for the hour of swimming that would be fine. I know it is easier to learn to use one during a heavier part of the flow. If she doesn't want that option, I will gladly let her sit out.

One important thing to remember is that, if the tampon isn't saturated, it will be very dry and uncomfortable to take out. If she decides to try it, it would be better to really "use it."

I agree with the tampon decision, personally. I use Instead now, but I used to use tampons. Any of the cups are MUCH larger to insert. I would never recommend them to a teen, unless they had a very heavy flow that made them desperate to try something new. A tampon shouldn't hurt once it's in. If it does, it is probably not in far enough.