Menu

please post names of colleges that have strong

The Cleveland Institute of Music is strong in each of these areas. I know firsthand that the New England Conservatory does chamber music very well, and I'm reasonably certain that it's very strong in the other areas, too.

Do you want a conservatory or a university?

You mentioned several disciplines--is there one you are most interested in, or do you want a school that does all areas equally well?

Edited by Beth in OH
corrected name of NEC

Oh! I don't know why I didn't think of this! (Forehead slapping moment.) NASM, the National Association of Schools of Music, is an accrediting organization. Right now we're going through the process of renewing our accreditation. They have a tool on their website that allows you to search for schools that are on their list:

http://nasm.arts-accredit.org/index.jsp?page=Member%20Lists

I would start there. There are plenty of smaller schools that have fine little conservatories (and lots of scholarships), excellent faculty and small class sizes where a person can get an awesome music education.

Another thing to look at is where are the graduates of the program getting work or pursuing their post-graduate education. If students are going on to big name places for their master's degrees, like U. of Michigan, Julliard, that one in upstate New York in the horrible town -- it starts with a C. Shoot. You know what I'm getting at, right? Also, once you find a school, you can request to sit in on a lesson to get a sense of the teachers.

I hope this is helpful.

He's very interested in composition, has recorded some of his own pieces, but has studied piano for 10 years and is a strong player. Right now we are thinking conservatory... though University would also be acceptable. he is a B student..

The Cleveland Institute of Music is strong in each of these areas. I know firsthand that the New England School of Music does chamber music very well, and I'm reasonably certain that it's very strong in the other areas, too.

Do you want a conservatory or a university?

You mentioned several disciplines--is there one you are most interested in, or do you want a school that does all areas equally well?

Other thoughts:

Emerson College (Boston) Strong preforming arts school, although not a conservatory of music.

www.emerson.edu/performing_arts/undergraduate/BFA-in-Musical-Theatre.cfm

Boston Conservatory (Boston)

www.bostonconservatory.edu/s/940/index.aspx?sid=940&gid=1&pgid=477

New York University (NYC)

www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/music/

University of Massachusetts, Lowell (Lowell, MA) Strong music program

www.uml.edu/College/arts_sciences/music/

Edited by LibraryLover

Believe it or not, BJU has a good music school- just don't like their politics.

We're familiar with the Cleveland and Peabody Conservatories- both are excellent.

Our son is a music major at JMU- James Madison U in VA. Very good school and opening a huge new performing arts center this spring. They need it as the music school is growing in numbers and acclaim. Check it out:

http://www.jmu.edu/music/

Another Virginia school--Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU).

They have a very, very strong fine arts program. Located in Richmond, a city school but a nice campus. Ds is there trying to get into cinema.

Being a B student would not be a problem there--tho they are a fine school, the admission requirements are a little more relaxed.

Here's a link to their music curriculum info.

I was a music major-voice performance (class of '83) at U of TN. Tennessee was/is known for it's marching band & jazz programs with a strong piano program too.

The biggies I remember hearing about were: Peabody, Cincinnati, New England, Berklee (MA), Julliard (of course) & Westminster Choir College.

When I was working (dinner theater), I knew folks how went to Shenandoah, Oberlin, & Cleveland.

I think a lot has to do w/who's teaching where now. Of course, THE prof. may move on or retire while dc is a student too.

My son desperately wants to go to Berklee in Boston. If he doesn't get in there his back ups are Shenandoah or VCU. He also wants to major in music composition. I don't know if VCU has this major (can't remember) I think he'd do jazz studies if he went there. My son is more into contemporary stuff. Berklee emphasizes that. My impression is that places like Peabody are more traditional.

I would suggest researching staff credentials as well. My ex-husband got his bachelors and masters degrees from University of Georgia. He started off as music performance (double bass) and changed to music education (he hated it but he worried about me and our baby). His mentor was/is a superb musician who plays in several different countries. I'm not sure I would suggest UGA as a strong music program but several professors were really excellent, while others were just so-so.

State or private? (In other words, does cost matter?) Eastman would be a fantastic experience for any young musician, but be prepared for some serious sticker-shock!

My advice would be to look for a professor that fits, rather than a program. As a music student, you're looking at spending a *lot* of time with your primary prof. (piano, for example.) That can make or break the experience, regardless of how "strong" the program supposedly is.

-Robin

The Northeast?

Definitely Julliard, but then, *everyone* (even me) knows that...

Manhattan School of Music

New England Conservatory

Boston Conservatory

Longy School of Music (MA)

Boston University

Hartt School of Music (at the University of Hartford, CT)

Yale School of Music (CT)

Eastman

Ithaca College (NY)

University of Michigan School of Music

Cleveland Institute of Music

Oberlin Conservatory

The Northeast is where it's AT for musicians. :)

Hope you all find a great program!

Edited by zaichiki