Menu

PSA: Snow emergency tips!

Please add snow emergency tips here.

- Make sure your dryer vent is clear before drying clothes. If it is blocked, you could have a house fire.

- Clear the snow off your heat pump. Most heat pumps do NOT have covers over the top to prevent the snow from filling them up. We bought a Trane with a cover when we replaced ours, but it still had lots of snow blocking the grates.

- Never, never run your generator inside your garage.

- Do not heat with your stovetop or any other open flame heater such as a candle.

- Be careful opening outside doors as you may find it quite difficult to close them again.

- Do not go out on the roads unless there is an absolute emergency. Call for assistance if you do not have a 4-wheel drive vehicle (and chains, at this point).

Other tips?

Once it stops snowing clear off the snow from your roof (use safety lines tied to something stationary, NOT a car). We've had several collapsed roofs around here lately.
I was awakened from a deep sleep at about 5:00 AM by a loud pop I heard from the roof! :eek: Even still, I'm not sure how I could manage to clear it off. I will also say that I had a teacher in high school who shattered his arm in three places when he fell from his roof trying to clear ice from his gutters.

Good tips. Mine is of a different type - take time to enjoy it and take pics!

Snow is up to our mailbox which is at car window height for rural delivery, plus, it's still snowing. I'm enjoying every inch of it - for now. Cleanup can come later.

Of course, I was also raised further north where snows like this aren't too uncommon, so it's nice nostalgia to some extent.

One other tip. It's ok if the dog "goes" next to the house where it's only 4 - 5 inches deep... "Stuff" can be moved! Even a Labrador isn't too keen on venturing through this deep snow to his usual spots.

Cats look cute swimming through the snow. One of ours didn't come in last night. He sure wanted to this morning!

We're enjoying our relaxing day indoors with only laundry as our main focus - plus some shows on TV (and some shoveling - later).

If you lose power, go around and turn off everything that was on except for one light. It will help lower the demand on the system as they hook things back up. Especially remember to turn off an electric stove top if you were cooking. After several days, you may forget that it's not a table. I remember hearing about someone losing their home to fire after a hurricane because they had put a stack of mail on the stove top.

If you lose power, those solar operated lights that you put in your garden can provide light in the house.

The problem is, the lights might be buried under the snow right now. But around here, some people take them in the winter, so I thought I'd let share the idea on the off chance it might help someone.

If you lose power, put your frozen foods in a cooler & put it outside in the snow.

Yes, thanks for posting this - espcially the tip about the dryer. I wouldn't have remembered to do that. Also, we need to go out and get the snow off the heat pump.

If you lose power, go around and turn off everything that was on except for one light. It will help lower the demand on the system as they hook things back up. Especially remember to turn off an electric stove top if you were cooking. After several days, you may forget that it's not a table. I remember hearing about someone losing their home to fire after a hurricane because they had put a stack of mail on the stove top.

Never thought of this either. Our power went out for about 10 seconds last night - right in the middle of a Miss Marple mystery video!!!!:D I feel very blessed to still have power at this point in the game.

Make sure that outdoor pets are able to move about freely, no chains frozen to the ground, pet house doors stuck, and have enough room to "take care of business". Also be sure they have enough thawed water.

Beware heavy snow/ice covered tree limbs. They may be hanging by a thread and could come down at any minute. Also be aware if power lines are threaded through the branches. If the branch breaks, there might be a live power wire in there somewhere so be very cautious about moving things you can't see well.

Don't get hurt. I know this sounds silly, but don't take extra chances or allow your dc to do so. Ambulances can't get around on impassible roads any better than anyone else so you could be stuck at home. Now is NOT the time to take any chances.

Keep a careful watch for frostbite. This wet snow will soak through children's mittens and socks quickly. They may be having such fun that they won't report a problem until it becomes severe since they don't want to have to come inside.

Remember that a sudden gust of wind can decrease visibility to nothing. Keep track of your bearings if you are outside.

Shovel snow away from car exhaust tailpipes if you are planning to sit in the car for long. Faulty exhaust systems can cause dangerous carbon monoxide gas to back up into the passenger compartment if not able to normally vent through the end of the pipe.

Never, ever try to cook with a BBQ grill in an enclosed space. Many have died trying to do this. If you must grill, do it outside.

Remember that there may be hidden obstacles or holes underneath the surface of the snow. Tread carefully.

And finally, remember to adjust for snow height! Especially when sledding. Dangers that may have previously been well above head height may now seem much lower. So watch out for fences, tree limbs, clothes lines, etc.

Stay warm and safe!

Edited by hillfarm

Great tips! Please keep them coming!

- If you have a pellet stove, as we do, please check it in the same way you would check a dryer vent. I forgot to do this today and it was nearly *completely* drifted under. IMO, it is not as much of a hazard as a dryer vent since it runs continuously all the time melting snow, but the concern is that it could redirect the heat or toxic fumes to somewhere they should not be.

- If you have as much snow as we do (~30" now), I would not recommend allowing children or pets to go out except perhaps in a shoveled driveway.

- When you do allow children to go out, they should be watched by an adult the entire time because of the risk of being trapped under the snow and covered up. Imagine NOT being able to find a child. At the very least, no one should be going out alone. Teach your kids to use a buddy system.

- Please remember that some of the dangers will get WORSE after the snow subsides. For instance, melting can cause water to pool up various places, including roofs. In some cases, refreezing can sometimes create a path for meltwater to make its way through your roof. I don't think that's an issue today, but I intend to inspect my roof from inside the attic every day until this snow melts.

Reg, regarding dealing with the aftermath, in my area we had flood warnings yesterday before the rain had changed to sleet and then snow. The frozen ground could not absorb the water. The ground is now still frozen and as this snow melts it will run off into the already high creeks and rivers. People who live in low lying areas are used to this.

However, many who do not normally have trouble with flood waters might need to keep a closer eye on things in case frozen snow banks cause water to rise in unexpected areas or cause changes in run off patterns.

- If you have as much snow as we do (~30" now), I would not recommend allowing children or pets to go out except perhaps in a shoveled driveway.

- When you do allow children to go out, they should be watched by an adult the entire time because of the risk of being trapped under the snow and covered up. Imagine NOT being able to find a child. At the very least, no one should be going out alone. Teach your kids to use a buddy system.

:confused: How short are your kids?

I understand big snow storms are extra challenging in areas that aren't used to them. There just aren't as many snow plows (or shovels) per capita and people aren't used to driving, etc.

But I don't think I've ever heard of a child getting trapped under the snow while playing in the yard.

I'm not sure that really matters since they are much shorter when horizontal than vertical. Even a six-foot tall child tunneling through the snow could get trapped if it caves in. Our kids have been planning a snow tunneling project for as long as I can remember. They just haven't had the right conditions before. This snow is PERFECT for tunneling and I suspect LOTS of children out there will be doing it.
But I don't think I've ever heard of a child getting trapped under the snow while playing in the yard.
That's great! I'm willing to bet that most of the snow you get in VT is much dryer than what we are getting here today. Roofs are starting to collapse around the region. I not convince my smaller children could make it 100 feet without getting trapped. Conditions outside today are very dangerous, IMO.

I'm not sure that really matters since they are much shorter when horizontal than vertical. Even a six-foot tall child tunneling through the snow could get trapped if it caves in. Our kids have been planning a snow tunneling project for as long as I can remember. They just haven't had the right conditions before. This snow is PERFECT for tunneling and I suspect LOTS of children out there will be doing it.

That's great! I'm willing to bet that most of the snow you get in VT is much dryer than what we are getting here today. Roofs are starting to collapse around the region. I not convince my smaller children could make it 100 feet without getting trapped. Conditions outside today are very dangerous, IMO.

Oh, we get wet snow too. And sometimes collapsing roofs.

I hadn't thought about tunneling. I can see discouraging that. But if we didn't let the kids outside just because there were 30" of the snow on the ground? We'd have some looong winters.

If the power does go out for a long time and you have no way to heat your home, create a "microclimate" area by moving everyone into a small room, or setting up a tent. The smaller area will help retain what heat there is, and the heat from your bodies. Bring lots of blankets, coats, and warm clothes, as well as some snacks and drinks so you don't have to go out and let the heat escape.

An emergency heater can be made using rubbing alcohol, which does not create carbon monoxide when burned, unlike most other fuels you'd have around the house. I have seen an effective emergency heater made by stuffing a roll of toilet paper (full roll, not just the cardboard tube) into an empty, clean(!) pint-size paint can and then filling it with rubbing alcohol. You light the top of the toilet paper, which acts as a wick. A cooking pot of about that diameter would work too. The lid can be used as a snuffer. My emergency preparedness buff friend tells me a heater like this will keep a small space, such as a car or tent, warm for several hours if you keep it lit only long enough to warm the space up, then extinguish it until needed again.

Also, if you are in your car and get stuck in the snow, make sure your exhaust pipe is clear of snow while you wait for help because if it's covered and your engine is running it can fill your car up with nice, warm carbon monoxide.

Edited by MamaSheep

please be careful under trees. My friend's daughter was killed instantly when a heavy tree branch from a big tree fell on her and crushed her. Apparently, it crushed her ribs, and one of them went through her heart. This was an ice storm, but snow can also make tree limbs heavy.

We have never had a power outage with just snow. But we lose power on a good day because the wind is too high. Sometimes we just lose power for no reason.

My kids go out all the time in high snow. It can stay around for weeks when the temp. is very cold. They tunnel all time.

We worry more about ice that results from melting and freezing. Black ice is a terrible thing. Also, worry about those drivers rushing about after the storm stops. Stopping distances are a lot longer with ice and snow.

I understand big snow storms are extra challenging in areas that aren't used to them. There just aren't as many snow plows (or shovels) per capita and people aren't used to driving, etc.

I'm with you. My kids have been out playing since breakfast ended and are still really enjoying it (they're teens now, but we've let them play outside in decent snows when they were young too). I grew up in upstate NY, so learned to love the snow in winter (not enough to stay there instead of moving further south though!).

It still amazes me what people do/think who aren't used to the snow. It's all a matter of what one is used to. Here they delay or close school for just a couple of inches. Back home we had years without any snow days - we just got used to shoveling prior to school.

Already today mine have snow forts, igloos, and sleds, and are thoroughly enjoying themselves. They'll be cold and wet when they come in, but they'll thaw - then head back out to shovel just in case church isn't canceled tomorrow. A single child out playing alone I'd worry about - just in case. And yes, one should beware under trees or anything bearing ice. Otherwise... well, I'm a free range mom, so mine are out having a ball. I wouldn't remotely think about making them stay in!

#1 Keep your cell phone only for emergency use.

#2 In that emergency, have nearby the phone number of a Canadian friend, who will talk you down from your snow panic and assure you that life is, indeed, still possible with several feet of snow on the ground, even if the power goes out.

:D

If your power goes off, the SECOND it comes back on again:

- flush toilets

- rinse dishes and load; maybe even run dishwasher

- keep those clothes running through the washer and dryer

- brush teeth (take showers, if time)

- cook some HOT food

- dh says, "Make coffee and put it in a thermos."

- fill up containers with drinking water

- fill up something with water for rinsing dirty dishes

- run electric heaters full blast in rooms without heat to warm them up

- charge everything - cell phones, flashlights, cameras, etc.

..... because that power might not be on long ..... :glare: (The glare is because our power is always going out for no apparent reason here. I love snow.:)

Well, I am running the dishwasher - it's almost through the cycle - and I've got a load about to finish up in the dryer and one in the washer waiting to be transferred. Thanks for suggesting that!

I've got beef stew going and thank your dh for me. I made two pots of coffee and have filled two stainless steel thermoses and a few insulated travel cups. That's a great idea!

I bought tons of water on Thursday since we are on electrically pumped well water and I've got both tubs full for flushing the toilets.

Now I'm going to go brush my teeth - although that's doable with water from a cup if it comes to that.

Our power keeps flickering and has gone off for about 30 seconds so I'm just hoping I can get all these things finished before it actually goes out. Thanks for these tips.:)

#1 Keep your cell phone only for emergency use.

#2 In that emergency, have nearby the phone number of a Canadian friend, who will talk you down from your snow panic and assure you that life is, indeed, still possible with several feet of snow on the ground, even if the power goes out.

:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :iagree:

I'm with you. My kids have been out playing since breakfast ended and are still really enjoying it (they're teens now, but we've let them play outside in decent snows when they were young too). I grew up in upstate NY, so learned to love the snow in winter (not enough to stay there instead of moving further south though!).

It still amazes me what people do/think who aren't used to the snow. It's all a matter of what one is used to. Here they delay or close school for just a couple of inches. Back home we had years without any snow days - we just got used to shoveling prior to school.

Already today mine have snow forts, igloos, and sleds, and are thoroughly enjoying themselves. They'll be cold and wet when they come in, but they'll thaw - then head back out to shovel just in case church isn't canceled tomorrow. A single child out playing alone I'd worry about - just in case. And yes, one should beware under trees or anything bearing ice. Otherwise... well, I'm a free range mom, so mine are out having a ball. I wouldn't remotely think about making them stay in!

I'm glad to hear that your teenagers fared well! After the snow let up today, I went out with the five littlest ones. Within five minutes, DD7 got completely stuck in a snow drift about 10 feet from the garage. She was NOT tunneling at the time. We were on a mission in the other direction and could not make it back to her for about fifteen minutes. During that time, she was unable to free herself. Had she been out alone in the blizzard conditions earlier in the day, she would have been in real trouble.

I'm glad to hear that your teenagers fared well! After the snow let up today, I went out with the five littlest ones. Within five minutes, DD7 got completely stuck in a snow drift about 10 feet from the garage. She was NOT tunneling at the time. We were on a mission in the other direction and could not make it back to her for about fifteen minutes. During that time, she was unable to free herself. Had she been out alone in the blizzard conditions earlier in the day, she would have been in real trouble.

I honestly think a lot has to do with where one lives and how they are raised (weather-wise). I remember being 3 or 4 years of age (not in school yet, but old enough to have a memory), and playing outside in our woods in the winter. I broke through the crust of a snowdrift that was over my head. It was scary for a little bit and I called for help, but no one was around. So, I did what any other northern NY youngster would do and gradually swam my way out. I bet it took longer than 15 minutes - at least it seemed that way. I would have climbed out, but the crust kept breaking beneath me.

After I got out I went the quarter mile or so back to our house and told my Dad what had happened. He wasn't the least bit concerned and said, "well, you made it out - now quit dripping on the floor and head back outside." So I did. After that I don't remember what happened.

Now, take the flip side. Us northern kids MELT in the heat. Give us a 90 degree day and we can get heat stroke just thinking about it. Southern kids are out playing football in 90 degrees without issues, but they could be inclined to panic in the snow that northerners see more regularly.

It's mainly a matter of what one is used to I suspect.

I just want to say thank you for this thread. I was at the beginning of page 2 when the power went out here again, I was able to still read that page since my laptop was charged. We just got power back on now, but it might not last. It didn't last time. But I was able to get the dishes done, get a pot big pot of pasta on the stove, brush teeth and sweep the floors.

- Make sure your dryer vent is clear before drying clothes. If it is blocked, you could have a house fire.

Maybe our placement it odd. We never make sure the dryer vent is clear. Every year we end up with what we call the "dryer hole" in the snow from the dryer blowing.

If you are going to let your kids outside to sled, shovel a straight path for them (build up the sides of the path if possible) to sled on. Direct it away from any obstructions. Dd broke her collarbone when she was 4, by crashing into a tree (I still cringe when I think about it) while sledding. Shovel it before it starts to harden and get icy. For one thing, it's easier to shovel when still soft; for another, it prevents kids from sledding on top of the icy/hard snow and veering all over the place after it gets hard/icy.

...exciting to me!

And I'm reading with fascination as well. This northerner (with more than 30" outside right now) is chuckling through this thread. I asked my kids what they do when they get stuck in the snow, and the three who can talk all said "yell for my brother(s) and sister." So, that's my kid stuck-in-the-snow tip for today.

Edited by 2squared

Within five minutes, DD7 got completely stuck in a snow drift about 10 feet from the garage. She was NOT tunneling at the time. We were on a mission in the other direction and could not make it back to her for about fifteen minutes. During that time, she was unable to free herself. Had she been out alone in the blizzard conditions earlier in the day, she would have been in real trouble.

So my obvious tip is to not go out in the blizzard conditions. Only my crazy husband goes outside during blizzards.

My other tip is that ALL kids get stuck in snow drifts. It will happen. After a couple times they will learn how to get themselves out. It's a lifeskill where I live.

Only my crazy husband goes outside during blizzards.

And us! It is the funnest time to go out!

However, I do want to point out that there is a difference between getting stuck in a drift and tunnelling. Tunnelling is dangerous - even if you do know what you are doing. And especially so if you do not know what you are doing. If you are not used to the snow, don't do it; if you go too deep and your roof is too thick, well, that's bad news. But, if your kids are set on doing it, you can always hollow out a 1/2 cave sort of thing - ie, a fort. Or better yet, get a rectangular dish and pack it with snow to make bricks, and as you unmold them, just stack them igloo style, just don't make a roof. 30-32 degrees and a little sun is ideal.

And I'm reading with fascination as well. This northerner (with more than 30" outside right now) is chuckling through this thread. I asked my kids what they do when they get stuck in the snow, and the three who can talk all said "yell for my brother(s) and sister." So, that's my kid stuck-in-the-snow tip for today.
:D DD7 figured that one out on her own! For FIFTEEN minutes until we could get back to her!
So my obvious tip is to not go out in the blizzard conditions. Only my crazy husband goes outside during blizzards.

My other tip is that ALL kids get stuck in snow drifts. It will happen. After a couple times they will learn how to get themselves out. It's a lifeskill where I live.

Thanks! That's good to know! The twins were just babies when we had a similar amount of snow. DS5 was just being thought of... They should have some practice over the next few days, since it will not get over freezing until Thursday.

Interestingly, DD17 fell into the fresh snow yesterday and was dismayed to learn that she could NOT get up. She tried to use techniques that she had learned seven years ago (swimming), but she was much smaller then. It did not work. After about five minutes, she figure out how to right herself.

And us! It is the funnest time to go out!

However, I do want to point out that there is a difference between getting stuck in a drift and tunnelling. Tunnelling is dangerous - even if you do know what you are doing. And especially so if you do not know what you are doing. If you are not used to the snow, don't do it; if you go too deep and your roof is too thick, well, that's bad news. But, if your kids are set on doing it, you can always hollow out a 1/2 cave sort of thing - ie, a fort. Or better yet, get a rectangular dish and pack it with snow to make bricks, and as you unmold them, just stack them igloo style, just don't make a roof. 30-32 degrees and a little sun is ideal.

I let them do some tunneling yesterday with me sitting right there. There was no tunneling or building going on today because the cold temperatures overnight dried out the snow. Thanks for the advice. I'll discuss that with them, as there are major tunneling plans still going on.

BTW, I did a little internet research and discovered that some of the deaths from being trapped in snow are due to being buried when snow slides off from a roof. This seems to claim at least as many adult lives as it does those of children

Thanks to all the snow experts for your thoughts on children and snowdrifts! It definitely seems that having a buddy is critical for the younger ones.

BTW, I did a little internet research and discovered that some of the deaths from being trapped in snow are due to being buried when snow slides off from a roof. This seems to claim at least as many adult lives as it does those of children.

Now that is a serious issue. When the snow slides, wowza! I assume the type of roof makes a difference. Snow doesn't slide off my house, but it does off my tin barn roofs.

Now that is a serious issue. When the snow slides, wowza! I assume the type of roof makes a difference. Snow doesn't slide off my house, but it does off my tin barn roofs.
We always had a healthy fear of the slides off my parents' barn roof! I was fully convinced that some of the ice slides we saw could cut a man in half! Fortunately, no one ever got hit.

I guess we might want to keep these tips near the top as we get ready for storm #2 coming tomorrow night. It's starting to remind me of winters of my youth - and is still quite nice in a nostalgic sort of way.

My kids have been having a blast. Yesterday they spent the whole afternoon out building more igloos (tunneling them, but not deep so if the roof caves it won't do damage) and sledding. The snow was too dry for snowball wars. Even teenagers can enjoy a nice snowstorm. I imagine the ski resorts are having a great year.

There is probably a kid that died riding a bike somewhere too - and one (or more) who have died in car accidents - probably even one that has died playing some sort of sports.

While keeping an eye on kids in general should be a basic parent behavior, there is such a thing as being too fearful about the statistically improbable. Kids are probably in the greatest danger when in a car, but does that stop us from going places?

I remain a free-range mom. My kids are itching to play in this. We very rarely, ok, never, have had such deep snows while my boys have been alive. I remember enjoying them thoroughly as a kid in upstate NY and am glad to see my kids able to enjoy things I enjoyed as a kid. I remind them that they are in the middle of weather history for this area - something they will be able to tell their kids about the same way I tell them about the winter of '77. Why just sit in the house and enjoy it through a window? Why sit in a house and complain? (To this, I'm reminded of the quote, "Circumstances happen, attitude is optional." What's out there is out there. It's our choice whether to enjoy the moment or grumble and complain. Neither attitude will change the facts, but they sure make a difference in how we feel and behave.)

And then I tell them I HOPE it's rare and not the start of the new normal. :)