Menu

Malaysia--

My poor dh. I can't stop talking about Heather NC & how much I want to move next door to her & teach at her school. I mean, we spent the first eve after her post reading everything in the house we could find about the country. (I won't tell you where I thought it was located. My geography skills lack a lot of diplomacy.)

And we haven't even applied. I can't stop talking about it long enough to get the info on the pg. Well, except the 3hrs I put into it over the weekend, right before the computer froze & lost everything, lol.

I'm not an adventurous eater, even in the States. I've never lived outside TX. I'm paranoid, a conspiracy theorist, & a homebody. AND I'm a die-hard hs'er.

But...? I think it's the first place I've ever been able to imagine dh being truly happy, & the thought of a really, deep-down kind of happy dh THRILLS me, despite the shrimp & other strange foods, wet weather, & new people.

In fact, the Malaysia bug's got me so bad, I'm sitting up at 3AM posting about it into the void.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess what? It's not as void as you think.

Are you really applying? I read the thread with the link to open jobs.

How exciting! Should we all pray???

:bigear:

Depends on what you're praying for:

Mexican food in Malaysia. The good kind.

Chocolate in Malaysia. Including, but not limited to, chocolate chip cookies.

The ability to accurately convert $ when planning.

Positive monkey experiences.

:D

Yes, we're really applying. What that means, or how likely that makes such a thing, though, I don't know.

Mexican food in Malaysia. The good kind.

Chocolate in Malaysia. Including, but not limited to, chocolate chip cookies.

The ability to accurately convert $ when planning.

Positive monkey experiences.

Yes, we're really applying. What that means, or how likely that makes such a thing, though, I don't know.

I bet Heather can tell you in a jiffy if there is chocolate in Malaysia. :lol: If not, we can all take turns sending you some...Don't be afraid to widen your culinary horizon - this all falls under "positive monkey experiences."

My poor dh. I can't stop talking about Heather NC & how much I want to move next door to her & teach at her school. I mean, we spent the first eve after her post reading everything in the house we could find about the country. (I won't tell you where I thought it was located. My geography skills lack a lot of diplomacy.) LOL...I am so glad I planted the seed! We only had a vague idea of where it was located when we applied!

I'm not an adventurous eater, even in the States. That's OK, there are plenty of people here who cook at home. There are plenty of markets with fresh chicken, fruits, vegetables, etc. Actually we are unusual (according to our colleagues) in that we love all the spicy food. A large number of expats only eat at home or at the western restaurants like Chilis or TGIFridays or the fast food joints.

I've never lived outside TX. I lived in Michigan for 37 years and NC for 1 year. Now I am here. Go figure! I'm paranoid, a conspiracy theorist, & a homebody. Well, you can always get involved in Malaysian politics! AND I'm a die-hard hs'er. Yeah, me too. That was the hardest thing to give up. I still think of it wistfully but honestly, my kids are getting an excellent education. The teachers are dedicated and really love the kids.

But...? I think it's the first place I've ever been able to imagine dh being truly happy, & the thought of a really, deep-down kind of happy dh THRILLS me, despite the shrimp (you don't have to eat shrimp) & other strange foods, wet weather, (I actually love when it rains as it only rains for about an hour and it cools everything off) & new people (honestly, I've never worked in a place where I actually all the people I worked with until now.)

In fact, the Malaysia bug's got me so bad, I'm sitting up at 3AM posting about it into the void.

Mexican food in Malaysia. The good kind. Sorry. Not on the island. You'll have to make your own.

Chocolate in Malaysia. Including, but not limited to, chocolate chip cookies. We have GREAT chocolate.

The ability to accurately convert $ when planning. We use the estimate of 1 to 3 (1 USD to 3 RM) give or take. So 100 USD = 300RM approx.

Positive monkey experiences. The monkey stories are blown out of proportion. The only time I have seen monkeys is at the botanical gardens.

Yes, we're really applying. What that means, or how likely that makes such a thing, though, I don't know. Wow! That is SOOOO exciting! What positions are you applying for?

I know how you feel We're applying too, and have been weighing all the pro's and con's. Still we're so excited we don't know what to do with ourselves. The kids are ready to start packing NOW! LOL I've lived all over the US, but have never been outside the country. DH has never lived anywhere except right across the road from where we live now. Big, huge change for him. We're doing our part, praying about it and letting God take care of the rest.

I travel quite a bit when I was a bit young. At 19, I went to UK by myself (from Indonesia). While there, I sometimes backpacked my way around Europe.

At 27, I moved with my hubby - heavily pregnant with my first - to US because my hubby got phD and research assistantship from a US university.

It's nice to be adventurous. YOu meet different people, different cultures, and know others better, KWIM ?

I don't know whehter I'm going to live here for good, but Malaysia and Australia have been on my mind because they're close to Indonesia, and these countries still enable my dh to use his expertise in academic situation. We've visited both countries but never actually live there.

So try it for a few years. You can always go back if you don't like it. Malaysia is beautiful and is pretty developed compared to Indonesia and other South East Asian countries. Fruit and veggies are abundant. You should try durian ...:lol::lol:

But...? I think it's the first place I've ever been able to imagine dh being truly happy, & the thought of a really, deep-down kind of happy dh THRILLS me, despite the shrimp & other strange foods, wet weather, & new people.
I'm wondering why you think your husband would be so happy in Malaysia. Is he Asian?

We too seriously considered dh applying but he isn't a perfect fit for the tech position. It's more hardware side than his writing software. I would be the one putting together the paperwork ;-) he too thinks it would be an amazing opportunity. I think for us the one thing that held me back(and I like to travel!) is our food allergies/intolerances. I just hate finding new Drs. LOL

If you do apply good luck!!!

The bolded says a lot. That shows you are being very selfless and he is lucky to have someone that is willing to put his dreams ahead of things that make you reluctant. I hope you all come to a decision that works for you.

Well, I don't know, lol, that's MY assessment of the situation. He's...interested in applying & thinks he'd enjoy going, but he's much more conservative in his decision-making.

This is one of those things where I think I know what would make him happy better than he knows.

And, Heather, I was looking *forward* to the monkeys! Drat. :D

Cook at home? Y'all know how much I like to cook. I was looking forward to a place where it's the norm to eat out instead of cook. In fact, that was one of the main selling points for me. :lol:

I'm wondering why you think your husband would be so happy in Malaysia. Is he Asian?

LOL--I don't think Asians are the only ones who are happy in Malaysia.

1. He loves nature. Here, we live in a poor part of the city. He's surrounded by varying degrees of smog, traffic, & industry. Now, his dream would be to live out in the country, mainly because that's where he lived when he was a child. But any type of serene natural scape does a 180 on him.

2. He's under a LOT of pressure here. He can't find a job, is always working for companies right before they go out of business, etc. And he's in school. The stress of unemployment is underestimated. And it's worse on him--he's a happy-go-lucky intellectual. The last thing he wants to do is think about $. Working for Heather's school would offer him a degree of job security, & he'd be working in the 2 areas he enjoys most: philosophical/educational stuff & ministry of a kind. He'd have the time & energy to continue seminary (online) if he wanted (I think). And I'm concerned that working in a church might suck the idealism out of him. That's a separate thread, but this gives him a little bit more flexibility--we can come back (or maybe stay there), & he can pastor. Or he can continue to pursue education. Or whatever.

3. He hasn't had a paid day off in 3 yrs. He believes in family in a way that I deeply respect, but he's ended up on a workaholic path by default, due to unemployment & underemployment. He sees his family little, & feels like a failure sometimes for that. His dad worked long hours, & it was hard on him, & you know how it is--it's the one thing he said he'd never do. The structure of an academic life in a place where there are fewer surprise disruptions (read: family gatherings that you're obligated to go to, etc.) would be easier on his scatter-brained self. He could do a few things (school & family), & do them well.

4. Did I mention the nature? It's imagining his face on the beach, on a hike, on the edge of a tropical rainforest that makes me think we really need to do what we can to try to go.

ETA: 5. I think his health would improve w/ the climate & the diet. He's doing much better here, wheat & dairy-free, but TX allergies are awful. His asthma has been hardly noticeable since the dietary changes, but a) I think those changes would be easier in an Asian country, since that's the bulk of what he can eat, & b) I imagine "tropical" to be good for breathing. Maybe it's desert, though? Maybe both? In general, though, I think almost any place would be better for him health-wise than here.

Edited by Aubrey

1. He loves nature. Here, we live in a poor part of the city. He's surrounded by varying degrees of smog, traffic, & industry. Now, his dream would be to live out in the country, mainly because that's where he lived when he was a child. But any type of serene natural scape does a 180 on him.

2. He's under a LOT of pressure here. He can't find a job, is always working for companies right before they go out of business, etc. And he's in school. The stress of unemployment is underestimated. And it's worse on him--he's a happy-go-lucky intellectual. The last thing he wants to do is think about $. Working for Heather's school would offer him a degree of job security, & he'd be working in the 2 areas he enjoys most: philosophical/educational stuff & ministry of a kind. He'd have the time & energy to continue seminary (online) if he wanted (I think). And I'm concerned that working in a church might suck the idealism out of him. That's a separate thread, but this gives him a little bit more flexibility--we can come back (or maybe stay there), & he can pastor. Or he can continue to pursue education. Or whatever.

3. He hasn't had a paid day off in 3 yrs. He believes in family in a way that I deeply respect, but he's ended up on a workaholic path by default, due to unemployment & underemployment. He sees his family little, & feels like a failure sometimes for that. His dad worked long hours, & it was hard on him, & you know how it is--it's the one thing he said he'd never do. The structure of an academic life in a place where there are fewer surprise disruptions (read: family gatherings that you're obligated to go to, etc.) would be easier on his scatter-brained self. He could do a few things (school & family), & do them well.

4. Did I mention the nature? It's imagining his face on the beach, on a hike, on the edge of a tropical rainforest that makes me think we really need to do what we can to try to go.

Given everything you wrote here, and as someone who is probably old enough to be your mother, I would have to say that I think you are displaying sound reasoning, and you should take the next step.

If you were sitting across the table from me and saying these things, I would be shaking my head in the affirmative. A little more research about the area, discussion between you and DH, careful consideration and prayer, and Heather is a G-d sent wealth of information so ask her your questions...nothing wrong with moving ahead a little bit while the aforementioned takes place. Praying for you.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Aubrey -

I really hope you go for it!

I have secret dreams of going there myself. . . . if they had an instrumental music position open, I had thought maybe dh could apply for that, and I could teach the Elementary school/High school choral part-time position, and dd17 could start a ballet "club" or classes or something. . . . .

But, dh isn't on that plan.

At any rate - I just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you :)

Well, I don't know, lol, that's MY assessment of the situation. He's...interested in applying & thinks he'd enjoy going, but he's much more conservative in his decision-making.

This is one of those things where I think I know what would make him happy better than he knows.

That's kind of what I was driving toward with my question. I'm a DH and I can tell you that with seven children, this type of a change would warrant close scrutiny. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't do it, just that there are both pros and cons in a move like this. This coming from someone who travels to Asia about twice per year and enjoys it there.
And, Heather, I was looking *forward* to the monkeys! Drat. :D
If you want monkeys, move to Barbados! ;)
Cook at home? Y'all know how much I like to cook. I was looking forward to a place where it's the norm to eat out instead of cook. In fact, that was one of the main selling points for me. :lol:
Yeah, the food is great in Malaysia. :thumbup:

I've been to both DFW and Malaysia multiple times. I can assure you that the grass really IS greener in Malaysia! Of course, that's not saying much! :D

I can relate. I, too, am hoping to move away from corporations toward a ministry of some sorts.

ETA: 5. I think his health would improve w/ the climate & the diet. He's doing much better here, wheat & dairy-free, but TX allergies are awful. His asthma has been hardly noticeable since the dietary changes, but a) I think those changes would be easier in an Asian country, since that's the bulk of what he can eat, & b) I imagine "tropical" to be good for breathing. Maybe it's desert, though? Maybe both? In general, though, I think almost any place would be better for him health-wise than here.

We'll be praying for your family. Best wishes, whichever way things go! :grouphug:

Tell you what, I'd go in a heartbeat! The closest I've lived is Guam for three years as a child and I LOVED IT! Give me spiders, give me boonies, give me spicy, give me fish and rice...I could make it work. LOL!

So really, open up your horizons to a great adventure, relax, and enjoy the ride!

Aubrey - I've been following this thread because it is cabin-fever season here and it is fun to think about living some place else. If this doesn't work out, perhaps you should investigate other international school job postings? Didn't Heather say that the turnover for international schools is fairly high? Perhaps you could find jobs at a different school or in a different country?

-Nan

Maybe you could check out this school. I used to work there in the late 80's and they always welcomed new teachers and volunteers. The whole country is only about the size of NH and there are lots of nature outings you could take as well as trips to Guatemala, etc.

The official language is English!

And your kids would love the Howler Monkeys!

Heather is a G-d sent wealth of information so ask her your questions...

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Aubrey, I hope you go for it!!!!!!!!! (So I can live through you AND Heather, hee hee!) I've loved reading about her adventures there, from the moment she posted it as a possibility last year. She is great, too - I bombarded her with questions the other day, and she patiently answered everything. (Sadly, we concluded it wasn't the time for something like this for us right now :( but her answers helped me to conclude this)

I read every single piece of info. on the school website, about the jobs, the benefits (OH MY THE BENEFITS are unbelievable!!!!!!! It sounds like it's more than "just" a job, but in return, you are taken care of - we've never had a job like that before, so it was huge to me). Go have a good read now about the jobs/benefits/moving info.. They are really thorough, and they encourage you to keep asking questions of the staff there. The school has been around for YEARS, too, and I remember reading about it in a YWAM missions book one time.

Yeah, go for it! :D

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Aubrey, I hope you go for it!!!!!!!!! (So I can live through you AND Heather, hee hee!) I've loved reading about her adventures there, from the moment she posted it as a possibility last year. She is great, too - I bombarded her with questions the other day, and she patiently answered everything. (Sadly, we concluded it wasn't the time for something like this for us right now :( but her answers helped me to conclude this)

I read every single piece of info. on the school website, about the jobs, the benefits (OH MY THE BENEFITS are unbelievable!!!!!!! It sounds like it's more than "just" a job, but in return, you are taken care of - we've never had a job like that before, so it was huge to me). Go have a good read now about the jobs/benefits/moving info.. They are really thorough, and they encourage you to keep asking questions of the staff there. The school has been around for YEARS, too, and I remember reading about it in a YWAM missions book one time.

Yeah, go for it! :D

Are you kidding? I've memorized the lists of what to bring/not bring. I don't even drink KoolAid, but I know you're supposed to bring it. (Now if I only knew WHY...) :lol:

I'm really boring to talk to right now. Mom was telling me about some Great Books program, & I all of a sudden said, "Their paper's not even the same size!" Luckily, she's very patient.

And dh is gradually becoming excited. Not that he wasn't before, but he's slower to warm up to things than I am. Rather than looking at me like I've got 3 eyes, he's now saying things like, "Oh, & we'll have to..." do something in particular "while we're there." The subtle assumption switch has been flipped. :D That happens when you live w/ somebody like me.

I don't know what I would do about the paper thing, though. And not bringing photo albums? How are they going to say, "Don't bring photo albums" when a) you need them most & b) they DO say to bring scrapbooking stuff?

But I'd sure be sad if all my scrapbooks were ruined by the humidity. Ah, the important questions in life. ;)

Are you kidding? I've memorized the lists of what to bring/not bring. I don't even drink KoolAid, but I know you're supposed to bring it. (Now if I only knew WHY...) :lol:

I'm really boring to talk to right now. Mom was telling me about some Great Books program, & I all of a sudden said, "Their paper's not even the same size!" Luckily, she's very patient.

And dh is gradually becoming excited. Not that he wasn't before, but he's slower to warm up to things than I am. Rather than looking at me like I've got 3 eyes, he's now saying things like, "Oh, & we'll have to..." do something in particular "while we're there." The subtle assumption switch has been flipped. :D That happens when you live w/ somebody like me.

I don't know what I would do about the paper thing, though. And not bringing photo albums? How are they going to say, "Don't bring photo albums" when a) you need them most & b) they DO say to bring scrapbooking stuff?

But I'd sure be sad if all my scrapbooks were ruined by the humidity. Ah, the important questions in life. ;)

You don't HAVE to bring Kool-Aid - they only suggest that if you like Kool-Aid, because it's not available there.:lol: I loved reading all that info., too, and thought about all the letter/legal-sized paper I have stashed away from surplus store sales....I'd bring that and it would probably last me a few years, :D. Except for that humidity...hmm....I wondered about scrapbooking stuff, too - oh HEY! Maybe they meant the non-paper things like scissors and punches, not the paper! And you can always scan your most important photos onto Facebook or something, to avoid bringing your albums.

I bet your kids would have a blast living there, surrounded by so many other families/children...oh my, I still sorta wish we could apply! Make sure you keep us posted if you do, OK!!??

I don't know what I would do about the paper thing, though.

Hi, I've just been reading along and living vicariously, but thought I'd pop in and ask why the different paper size would be a big problem? I'm guessing it's A4 - which pretty much every other country outside the US uses (I think)?

If you're worried about your printer, virtually all US printers accomodate A4 paper. And just buy new binders. Or am I missing something? :tongue_smilie:

Hi, I've just been reading along and living vicariously, but thought I'd pop in and ask why the different paper size would be a big problem? I'm guessing it's A4 - which pretty much every other country outside the US uses (I think)?

If you're worried about your printer, virtually all US printers accomodate A4 paper. And just buy new binders. Or am I missing something? :tongue_smilie:

Well, I was half-joking. It's the little things, you know--you decide you can stomach a couple of yrs away from family & Mexican food, the mayonnaise-jar-sized shots, etc. & then you find out about the little things. The first one? No big deal. Second? Bummer. But by the time you get to thing #36 that will be irreconcilably different, you suddenly see the whole picture (or a bigger piece) & you realize just how far you will be from home & for how long, & something in you does a scary flip-flop.

It's not the paper itself. The paper was just Thing #36. Or #345, I'm not actually counting. ;)

But the paper? It's not the printer. I'm a writer & a teacher & a homeschooler. The only thing closer to my heart than paper is books.

And if I can't take my scrapbooks because they'd...I don't remember...spontaneously combust? mold?...then can I really take my boxes of story scraps that I pull out & work on from time to time? Can I really take my *books*???

And suddenly, I'm imagining a life w/out my books & papers. It's enough to make a body nervous. I spent a few minutes here & there petting various books today, pulling them out & showing them to the kids, perusing...

Oh, & I do mean books. :scared: You people w/ your random capital Ks--shame on you! :lol:

And in case you're not w/ me yet...I own something like 4 copies of The Sound & the Fury. Why? Because I'm out of shelf space & don't have room for MORE. So you see. This poses a rather more serious problem than the fact that I. do. not. try. new. foods.

I'm a strange combination of hobbit & adventure. :001_huh:

Well, I was half-joking. It's the little things, you know--you decide you can stomach a couple of yrs away from family & Mexican food, the mayonnaise-jar-sized shots, etc. & then you find out about the little things. The first one? No big deal. Second? Bummer. But by the time you get to thing #36 that will be irreconcilably different, you suddenly see the whole picture (or a bigger piece) & you realize just how far you will be from home & for how long, & something in you does a scary flip-flop.

It's not the paper itself. The paper was just Thing #36. Or #345, I'm not actually counting. ;)

But the paper? It's not the printer. I'm a writer & a teacher & a homeschooler. The only thing closer to my heart than paper is books.

And if I can't take my scrapbooks because they'd...I don't remember...spontaneously combust? mold?...then can I really take my boxes of story scraps that I pull out & work on from time to time? Can I really take my *books*???

And suddenly, I'm imagining a life w/out my books & papers. It's enough to make a body nervous. I spent a few minutes here & there petting various books today, pulling them out & showing them to the kids, perusing...

Oh, & I do mean books. :scared: You people w/ your random capital Ks--shame on you! :lol:

And in case you're not w/ me yet...I own something like 4 copies of The Sound & the Fury. Why? Because I'm out of shelf space & don't have room for MORE. So you see. This poses a rather more serious problem than the fact that I. do. not. try. new. foods.

I'm a strange combination of hobbit & adventure. :001_huh:

OK, you need to take some deep cleansing breaths.

The paper size difference is barely noticeable.

I brought all my scrapbook stuff. Things will mold if you NEVER run your AC but since we do, no big deal.

Everyone here has books. Some more than others. You will be fine. The only thing that determines how many you bring is how much of your shipping allowance you want to spend on it. Some people bring tons of books but not much else! We do have 2 libraries and several bookstores.

You don't have to get ANY shots. That's a myth.

There are VERY few things you cannot get here but there are also a lot of really cool things you CAN get here that you can't get anywhere else! I went through all the panicky thoughts you are having now too but I promise you, I am high-maintenance and I am coping quite well. :)

Aubrey, you can talk to me about it, if you want...Malaysia is the dominant topic of conversation here too. DH is applying...he's perfectly suited for one of the jobs. If we both end up going, I can cook and have you over for dinner. ETA: I can even cook Mexican. If I can't get pinto beans there, I'll be packing them.

DH LOVES the idea of moving there. I'm like you...not an adventurous eater or traveler, but I'm willing to be very uncomfortable for a while to give my family the opportunity. DD10 is scared but excited. DS8 wants to move yesterday. The younger two are clueless.

He's got all of the paperwork downloaded and printed, half of the application completed, and has contacted his professional references already. We've been downloading and printing paperwork to get documents we don't have (a couple birth certificates and a social security card). And, I've already started the decluttering process in case I have to pack up the house for storage/moving. I figure I'd have a head start if he gets the job, and if he doesn't get the job, I'll have a cleaner house. We've talked about what we'd take and what we'd buy there.

I'm planning on packing a year's supply of dairy free chocolate chips (Guittard brand semi-sweet) and Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake (dairy free). I have a friend who works for an exporting company and sells Tupperware so I'll have her help for shipping things we need but can't get there. :D

Edited by joannqn

I figure if Heather can talk Aubrey into moving to Malaysia, then it won't be long before she talks her into buying a Kindle, too! ;)

Hey, thanks for your thoughts on your earlier post. I wrote out a nice, thoughtful reply yesterday, & then it got eaten by the busy server. :glare:

Aubrey, when I first read the 'Adventure...come to Malaysia' post, I only half-thought of applying. Now, because of you and this darn thread, I'm three quarters of the way there. . . but it does sound enticing, doesn't it?

Depends...not if you're applying for the same jobs we are. :lol:

People in the tropics own books. You do know understand that, don't you Dear? It's ok for you to own books in the tropics too.

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

No, I hadn't thought about that, I'd just walked up & down the hallway that I pretend is my "library" & panicked. The school website makes it sound so cataclysmic. They don't spell it that way, though. :glare:

OK, you need to take some deep cleansing breaths.

The paper size difference is barely noticeable.

I brought all my scrapbook stuff. Things will mold if you NEVER run your AC but since we do, no big deal.

Everyone here has books. Some more than others. You will be fine. The only thing that determines how many you bring is how much of your shipping allowance you want to spend on it. Some people bring tons of books but not much else! We do have 2 libraries and several bookstores.

You don't have to get ANY shots. That's a myth.

There are VERY few things you cannot get here but there are also a lot of really cool things you CAN get here that you can't get anywhere else! I went through all the panicky thoughts you are having now too but I promise you, I am high-maintenance and I am coping quite well. :)

You really should have started that thread the other day w/ this info. Because I had FOUR 9lb babies naturally just to avoid shots.

And if I get to bring books & scrapbooks, then this whole thing just got a lot better...but I was sure I remembered you having to soothe your boys about the idea of shots before going to Malaysia last yr? Ah well, if it's just the kids who have to get them & not me, I'm good. ;) :lol:

Aubrey, you can talk to me about it, if you want...Malaysia is the dominant topic of conversation here too. DH is applying...he's perfectly suited for one of the jobs. If we both end up going, I can cook and have you over for dinner. ETA: I can even cook Mexican. If I can't get pinto beans there, I'll be packing them.

DH LOVES the idea of moving there. I'm like you...not an adventurous eater or traveler, but I'm willing to be very uncomfortable for a while to give my family the opportunity. DD10 is scared but excited. DS8 wants to move yesterday. The younger two are clueless.

He's got all of the paperwork downloaded and printed, half of the application completed, and has contacted his professional references already. We've been downloading and printing paperwork to get documents we don't have (a couple birth certificates and a social security card). And, I've already started the decluttering process in case I have to pack up the house for storage/moving. I figure I'd have a head start if he gets the job, and if he doesn't get the job, I'll have a cleaner house. We've talked about what we'd take and what we'd buy there.

I'm planning on packing a year's supply of dairy free chocolate chips (Guittard brand semi-sweet) and Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake (dairy free). I have a friend who works for an exporting company and sells Tupperware so I'll have her help for shipping things we need but can't get there. :D

You're SO sweet!!

(Contact his prof references? Wow. That's a good idea. I'd never read the etiquette on that. I wondered what would happen when a lady from Malaysia calls people I worked with 5-10 yrs ago to ask about my emotional health. So warn them, you're saying? Yeah, that's a good idea.

On that note, perhaps we should mention the idea to dh's family as well as mine?) :lol:

You're SO sweet!!

(Contact his prof references? Wow. That's a good idea. I'd never read the etiquette on that. I wondered what would happen when a lady from Malaysia calls people I worked with 5-10 yrs ago to ask about my emotional health. So warn them, you're saying? Yeah, that's a good idea.

On that note, perhaps we should mention the idea to dh's family as well as mine?) :lol:

There are four reference forms you are suppose to download, print, and distribute: employer, professional reference, pastor, and friend. Because my husband is self-employed he's providing two professional references. He contacted those people, told them what is going on, and asked if they would provide a reference. He'll drop off the forms and they fax them to Dalat.

There are four reference forms you are suppose to download, print, and distribute: employer, professional reference, pastor, and friend. Because my husband is self-employed he's providing two professional references. He contacted those people, told them what is going on, and asked if they would provide a reference. He'll drop off the forms and they fax them to Dalat.

Oh, that. Yeah, I skipped that step. Coming back to it when I feel organized, lol.

Ok you people, keep the hub-bub down in here before my dd hears you and talks my hubby into moving to Malaysia. ;) She has been trying to talk him into taking a job out of the country for years now. If she knew that there were IT jobs there she would be sending his resume herself. My adventurous days are past however. I have no desire to leave my house much less the country. :001_smile:

You really should have started that thread the other day w/ this info. Because I had FOUR 9lb babies naturally just to avoid shots.

And if I get to bring books & scrapbooks, then this whole thing just got a lot better...but I was sure I remembered you having to soothe your boys about the idea of shots before going to Malaysia last yr? Ah well, if it's just the kids who have to get them & not me, I'm good. ;) :lol:

Nope, my kids just got the regular vax shots they were already due for. Nothing special for Malaysia.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of that I cannot get here that I really miss is flavored coffee creamer. But my mom sends it to me! :D

Nope, my kids just got the regular vax shots they were already due for. Nothing special for Malaysia.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of that I cannot get here that I really miss is flavored coffee creamer. But my mom sends it to me! :D

Yeah, I thought of that one this afternoon. It's like there's this shadow following me around going, ooooh...what about *that*????

So I'm guessing you can't bring a yr's supply of coffee creamer. I mean & then actually use it. ;) Maybe they have 1/2 & 1/2? Maybe flavored syrups? See, I'm totally flexible.

Yeah, I thought of that one this afternoon. It's like there's this shadow following me around going, ooooh...what about *that*????

So I'm guessing you can't bring a yr's supply of coffee creamer. I mean & then actually use it. ;) Maybe they have 1/2 & 1/2? Maybe flavored syrups? See, I'm totally flexible.

My mom goes to gordon foods and buys a huge box of little creamers and mails it here. But you could fill a plastic bin and ship it too. Yes, the have regular creamer. But most people here use sweetened condensed milk which is delicious but very fattening. If you come across something and you want to know if we have it, just ask!

I don't know if where I live is considered "tropical", but we shipped everything we own when we moved (we got a 40 ft container), the bulk of which was books, and included my homeschooling supplies (lots of paper).

It is recommended here that when you go on extended vacations (we usually are gone for two months in the summer) that you keep some level of air conditioning running in your home to avoid mold issues. I assume your potential home in Malaysia would be air conditioned, so I wouldn't think there would be trouble with mold.