Menu

Oh really

Says Sally Shaywitz in Overcoming Dyslexia, "While a parent should not become her child's primary teacher.... I strongly advise parents from setting out to teaching their child all of the phonics rules or a complete reading curriculum. Teaching reading is a complex task and one that should be left to a professional."

Ha! I pooh pooh her advise and opinion.

Says Sally Shaywitz in Overcoming Dyslexia, "While a parent should not become her child's primary teacher.... I strongly advise parents from setting out to teaching their child all of the phonics rules or a complete reading curriculum. Teaching reading is a complex task and one that should be left to a professional."

I poo-poo as well. :tongue_smilie:

Tell my two little boys that they shouldn't have been able to learn to read from mommy, Ms. Sally Shaywitz (whomever you are), since I am not, as you say, 'a professional'.

:D

(I'm feeling a bit cheeky this evening...)

So is teaching kids to talk. Ah, shades of John Holt. :)

It is especially dangerous to teach your child to walk, too. The proper method is to enrol them in a full time course where there are physiotherapists, coaches, sports psychologists, choreographers etc on hand to ensure that your child does not develop incorrect walking techniques, or, worse still, an inappropriate attitude towards walking.

Teaching reading is a complex task and one that should be left to a professional."

Right. Because no one ever learned how to read before the advent of teachers colleges.

Oh wait ~ that's when kids started having trouble learning how to read. Nevermind. :D

Jackie

:lol: Someone has a bit of a superiority complex, don't they?

-Robin

:001_huh:

And so, what would be her explanation for the *millions* of children over the last 50 years who have graduated functionally illiterate? All those children who attended schools taught by professional teachers??

Oh, come now, Ellie! Those children weren't properly cared for by their parents, of course! :D

It is especially dangerous to teach your child to walk, too. The proper method is to enrol them in a full time course where there are physiotherapists, coaches, sports psychologists, choreographers etc on hand to ensure that your child does not develop incorrect walking techniques, or, worse still, an inappropriate attitude towards walking.

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Someone has a bit of a superiority complex, don't they?

-Robin

Just a bit.

:lol: When we had our son tested for dyslexia the "professionals" said that by home-schooling we were doing what was best for him.

Throughout the book she says that consistant one on one is best for dyslexics. You don't get more one on one than home school.

:001_huh:

And so, what would be her explanation for the *millions* of children over the last 50 years who have graduated functionally illiterate? All those children who attended schools taught by professional teachers??

Obviously their mama's must have interfered and tried to help them at home ruining the child for all eternity.

Just a bit.

Throughout the book she says that consistant one on one is best for dyslexics. You don't get more one on one than home school.

Everyone with a public school near them that teaches kids one-on-one please raise your hand. Hmmm, thought so.

Of course, I only had one-on-one time with my eldest for 11 months....after that she had to share me with her baby sister. So I guess I didn't technically have a one-on-one environment to teach reading either....but we muddled through....well, ok, with the first one...but her sister nosed around so much that she taught herself to read just by listening to big sissy. Naughty naughty child. She always has been the troublemaker. :tongue_smilie:

What a deliciously irritating statement! Something to get us all riled up over! I poo-poo, too!

Someone who is on a dyslexia yahoo group that I'm a member of wrote to Sally Shaywitz to challenge that statement. She responded by featuring the woman on a page of her website. I think her view of homeschooling has mellowed a bit since she wrote the book.

http://dyslexia.yale.edu/Parents_homeschool.html

Maybe she should release a second edition of her book. :tongue_smilie:

That's just plain ridiculous. My mother had an 8th grade education. She was not consider extremely smart by any stretch of the imagination and yet she taught me to read before I started kindergarten. I know that some children do have a hard time learning to read but it was not even remotely challenging to teach any of my children to read.

Someone who is on a dyslexia yahoo group that I'm a member of wrote to Sally Shaywitz to challenge that statement. She responded by featuring the woman on a page of her website. I think her view of homeschooling has mellowed a bit since she wrote the book.

http://dyslexia.yale.edu/Parents_homeschool.html

Thank you for posting this, Lizzy Bee! I needed to read something just like this! Her ds and my ds are so much alike and it helped me to see what he *can* do instead of what he can't!

Wait a minute...if she's not able to teach me to teach my child, WHY should I buy her book?

When my kids were in a private school, I lobbied to have my gifted daughter moved to an 8th grade math class for 4th grade. The lower school principal flatly refused and, when I dared to ask her "why," said that I just wouldn't understand since I wasn't a "professional educator."

This professional educator left or was fired from the school a year later. Last summer, I ran into her working in a home decor store. Now there isn't a blessed thing wrong with selling pillows and knick-knacks, but I soooo wanted to say, "You know, I am not a professional educator, but now you're not, either." I know, I know, I'm so junior-high. :tongue_smilie:

Terri