Menu

WWYD if homeschooling became illegal?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would move in a heartbeat, even if it meant living our days in a cave to avoid detection. My kids have been in ps and it was a miserable experience, that cost them dearly. I would not send them back if homeschooling became illegal here, I would find a place it was legal or go underground to do it.

I started to say I haven't forgotten them, but you know, that's not really true. I don't know if anyone actually ever went to jail in the US for homeschooling. I searched and can't find anything except threats of jail time. I can't find any stories of actual jailed parents. Anyone know for sure?

There was a father that went to jail in our state. Our neighbor's knew him from their church, and it was on the news. I don't recall the outcome of his trial; it was back in the 1980's.

When I lived in Iowa in the 80's, a homeschooling dad (and pastor) from the Des Moines area, I believe, spent time in jail for homeschooling.

"Freedom isn't free" - this phrase can be applied to many aspects of civilization. In this case, there have been those who have given more to secure the freedom to homeschool than I have.

I personally know a family who chose to homeschool in Albuquerque, NM in the 70's. They were in and out of court just about monthly. At that time, Calvert was about the only thing available so that is what they used. They were always able to show that the kids were doing well. But the socialization issue was brought up continually. To counter that, they started the boys in gymnastics - you may remember Trent Dimas who went on to be the Olympic High Bar Gold Medalist. Yeah, he was the son of my dad's partner and we grew up together. So I know that there have been "persecuted" homeschoolers who have paved the way for our ease.

I started to say I haven't forgotten them, but you know, that's not really true. I don't know if anyone actually ever went to jail in the US for homeschooling. I searched and can't find anything except threats of jail time. I can't find any stories of actual jailed parents. Anyone know for sure?

I think it will be hard to find many of these numbers. The police will not charge you with homeschooling,or child endangerment, they will charge you with interferring with a public servant. That is what they did to me. Years back, when I pulled my son out a mother in his class made the call to cps and told them that my children weren't getting a proper education. She didn't agree with what my family had chosen. Two days later Social Services showed up with no warrent but asking to step in my house and "see" what they were working on. She was with an officer, when I told her I needed to see a warrent for either of them to enter my house the officer told me I needed to come to his car so he could get some info. for the warrent, once outside of my house, I was cuffed and promtly brought to jail for interferring with the duties of a public servant. Mind you that is a worse crime than a DUI, I fought it for a year, to the tune of about $9000 in court and lawyer fees, till I finally pled no contest so it would all just go away; we couldn't afford to fight anymore. No, I was not a member of the HSLDA. As of today, it's hard for me to find a job where the public is invovled, its a class A misdemor, if I want to be a den leader or anything where a background check is done, I have to go thru the whole story. I live in Texas where to home school your children is very easy, we are considered private schools but that doesn't change that fact that if you dont' watch yourself they will put you in jail. Granted my experience is not the norm but it does happen, I have a very jaded view of our system as a whole and look at the police as nothing more than a legal gang, they get away with too much. I am sure there are great police officers, but my experience has made me leary of them all. It was degrading, humilating and the worst of it all the officer in question made it a point for my kids to watch and told them "the best place for them was in school, just look at your mom." I will never forget it. I would homeschool them at home and fight with others to get our rights back!

I would moved to a place with good public schools and that is were they would go, just like they did before we moved to Louisiana this summer.

I'd put him in public school, no doubt, unless I was still in Texas. Then I'd find a secular private school. Homeschooling is just a way of educating for us, not a "way of life", which I think is detrimental to a parent who allows the homeschooling aspect to control their life.

A bit of a different question...What would you do if the health department came in and said you had to follow a particular diet or you were breaking the law...even if you KNEW that diet would be terribly detrimental to your child?

What would you do if the labor department came in and said you had no choice...either work in this factory or you are going to jail?? We are sorry you are going to be paid less and you will not be able to afford all those things you had before, you have no choice??

For me, the right to homeschool my children is the same as the above scenarios.

~~Faithe

A bit of a different question...What would you do if the health department came in and said you had to follow a particular diet or you were breaking the law...even if you KNEW that diet would be terribly detrimental to your child?

What would you do if the labor department came in and said you had no choice...either work in this factory or you are going to jail?? We are sorry you are going to be paid less and you will not be able to afford all those things you had before, you have no choice??

~~Faithe

For me it is absolutely not comparable. My kids have both been homeschooled and gone to public school. I don't believe public schoool was detrimental to them. Currently we are choosing to homeschool because of the public school where we live but if we move they may go back to public school, it all depends on what the schools available to us would be like.

~~Faithe

I get what you're saying. It's not all about homeschooling per se.. it's about taking away our choice in the matter.

It's about basic rights vs. government mandate.

I'm pretty certain we would find a way to pack up and move. It's very important to us, and at times I think my husband is even more determined about it than I am.

We only live where we do to be close to my parents and brother. And there is a lot of educational attractions and a huge college selection of good colleges fairly locally, so those factors added into the decision. But we aren't terribly attached to our location. Especially the weather.

They'd be going back to school and I would be that PIA parent that make sures they are getting the best education out the school they are attending. Then I would support the people that would be trying to make homeschooling legal again.

Same here.

Actually, my sophomore son is just finishing his first semester at the local high school. He is growing and thriving. My husband and I have gotten to know the principal, his teachers, the athletic director, etc. very well and we continue to be appropriately involved with his education. I do not have any sort of fear or loathing for our public schools.

If I had to, I would enroll my 5th grader at the public elementary just across the street and be equally involved with his school, administration and his overall education.

I guess because I just don't see this as anything more than a hypothetical question, I can't get all worked up over it.

If anything, the recent political developments in Massachusetts have renewed my confidence that the people in this nation will be heard.

For me it is absolutely not comparable. My kids have both been homeschooled and gone to public school. I don't believe public schoool was detrimental to them. Currently we are choosing to homeschool because of the public school where we live but if we move they may go back to public school, it all depends on what the schools available to us would be like.

OK....but what if it were detrimental to your neighbor or thier children? Would you defend their right to make decisions regarding their family? Do you just not give a flip and go on with your life until they hit on a nerve of yours or do you defend not only your rights, but your neighbors as well??

~~Faithe

They'd be going back to school and I would be that PIA parent that make sures they are getting the best education out the school they are attending.

I have a daughter who is a freshman at a public school. I am a PITA about things and it gets us very little except me having a reputation as a PITA. The people who work for schools don't, for the most part, have even the slightest understanding of why I homeschool, and it's nearly impossible to have a conversation with them about my concerns because they just. don't. get it.

Tara

It would all depend on the ramifications. Would it be possible to lose my children? For my husband and I to go to jail and be unable to raise our children? If those were the two consequences, then I would do everything in my power to find some sort of loophole. An umbrella school, moving somewhere else, a virtual school, etc. I'd look hard for a loophole before even considering sending my kids to school. And if I absolutely had to send them back, I'd look for a very small, Christian private school.

...or... I would start my own private school. (I do have a master's degree in education, so that might help some.)

OK....but what if it were detrimental to your neighbor or thier children? Would you defend their right to make decisions regarding their family? Do you just not give a flip and go on with your life until they hit on a nerve of yours or do you defend not only your rights, but your neighbors as well??

~~Faithe

I never said I wouldn't defend he rights of everyone but sorry I would not put my kids at risk to do it.

~~Faithe

I think defending ones rights can take many forms. One can abide by the law while working to change it, but that certainly does not mean one does not 'give a flip'.

I think defending ones rights can take many forms. One can abide by the law while working to change it, but that certainly does not mean one does not 'give a flip'.

My "you" was not a personal "you," but a plural, hypothetical "you." That said, I believe you work through the law as far as possible, but there comes a time when it is necessary to stand up to the law.

Of course, I grew up with family members that had numbers tatooed on their arms....

~~Faithe

I would start my own private school--something I've been thinking about anyway. And I would fight like crazy to get the law changed back. It was our hired hand and his family that were the test case that brought about the CO law--we've watched and been involved in the law for many years.

And what if all those private schools were suddenly outlawed as well?? It is a slippery slope.......

Well, I don't normally apply "situational ethics" but in this case it would depend greatly on the status of my own kids. And whether we are talking about a state or federal initiative.

If they were elementary age, I would send them to a private school (of my choice) and join the ranks of you fighting the legislation.

If they are only a couple of years from graduation and have been successfully home schooled to that point (I am thinking of my now-sophomore son), ain't no way I'm letting someone pull the plug on that! So, conscientious objector, founder of litigation-related delays in enforcing the laws.... I can imagine myself in those roles.

If they are in the middle? Well, it would depend on the child and the options. I would probably send them on to school (again, private).

Now if the only available schooling option were a government run institution... no way! We'd pack our tent and school on the run. Or move to Texas. I have a feeling the folks down there would have a way of working it all out!

And what if all those private schools were suddenly outlawed as well?? It is a slippery slope.......

Sure, it is. And let's imagine that EDUCATION itself was outlawed! Then what? (Why exactly would "The Government" suddenly decide to outlaw all these things? What's next? Outlawing chocolate?)

I've always wondered what we gain by these wild, angry "debates" about hypothetical issues, except some attempt to figure out who is loyal enough to The Cause to be worth talking to? Because one, apparently, can only be a real homeschooler if s/he is willing to be burnt at the stake/live off the grid/be thrown in jail (and it's not easy to homeschool from a jail cell!) or whatever extreme to stand behind The Cause of homeschooling. If you would (gasp) put your kids in a school under certain circumstances, then you're not loyal enough to The Cause. And then what?

I'm not trying to be combative, Faith, but I'm not following your train of thought very well.

Plenty of posters here have said they would continue to fight for (Margaret specifically said 'fight like crazy') and defend homeschooling rights, but you don't seem to think that's enough to keep us from the 'slippery slope'.

What is your perfect answer? What would be the correct response if we were sufficient in 'thinking LONG AND HARD' about those who came before us, about government intervention and about the ramifications that might follow?

I'm not trying to be combative, Faith, but I'm not following your train of thought very well.

Plenty of posters here have said they would continue to fight for (Margaret specifically said 'fight like crazy') and defend homeschooling rights, but you don't seem to think that's enough to keep us from the 'slippery slope'.

What is your perfect answer? What would be the correct response if we were sufficient in 'thinking LONG AND HARD' about those who came before us, about government intervention and about the ramifications that might follow?

No perfect answer...and I am not anti-public school. I might send my kids there one day too..I am not anti-government ...BUT, there are some situations that i do not believe should be determined by a governmental body, education is one of them...I guess I like hypothetical debates sometimes...and in this case, family rights are dear to my heart. I don't know if there is a "correct" answer.

I was just kind of floored when in the beginning of this thread so many were like "Oh well...just put'em in school." It just seemed such a far cry from what it was like 15 years ago when we started homeschooling and it was relatively unheard of and families really had to assert their rights to educate their children.

I am an older Mom now...with adult children and I see a new wave of homechooling coming in where it is just taken for granted that homeschooling is an educational option. This was not the case in the US during the early 20th century until about the 1980's. This is not an option in some countries now.

It was a hypothetical question...what if....

I think the answer lies within the "what if" and we can extrapolate if we want.

I see the extrapolation to the extreme I guess...the "what if slope......"

~~Faithe....who is signing off again to ponder some other what if....

Sure, it is. And let's imagine that EDUCATION itself was outlawed! Then what? (Why exactly would "The Government" suddenly decide to outlaw all these things? What's next? Outlawing chocolate?)

I've always wondered what we gain by these wild, angry "debates" about hypothetical issues, except some attempt to figure out who is loyal enough to The Cause to be worth talking to? Because one, apparently, can only be a real homeschooler if s/he is willing to be burnt at the stake/live off the grid/be thrown in jail (and it's not easy to homeschool from a jail cell!) or whatever extreme to stand behind The Cause of homeschooling. If you would (gasp) put your kids in a school under certain circumstances, then you're not loyal enough to The Cause. And then what?

It is not IF we would put our kids in the public or private school if we wished, it is being FORCED to put them in the school that is the issue. And the CAUSE is not Homeschooling per se' but having the right to raise and educate our children in the way we see best. If I felt Public School or Private School was best, that is what we would do. Being forced to submit my children to an education I thought was at best sub-par and at worst mind controlling, would be a reason for me to stand up and protect my family and my children's rights to the very best of my ability.

~~Faithe

I was just kind of floored when in the beginning of this thread so many were like "Oh well...just put'em in school." It just seemed such a far cry from what it was like 15 years ago when we started homeschooling and it was relatively unheard of and families really had to assert their rights to educate their children.

I am an older Mom now...with adult children and I see a new wave of homechooling coming in where it is just taken for granted that homeschooling is an educational option.

But none of them said, "Oh, well..." They said they would comply with the law while doing such things as "spend time fighting" "Fight for our rights" "become very involved" and so on.

That doesn't sound like a group of women who take for granted how far we've come as homeschoolers. They don't care any less than you do and it certainly doesn't sound as if they would 'lay down their laurels' as you said in your initial post. They just might take a different approach to retain or regain their educational choices than you.

After reading all the responses, I wanted to bring up the following:

-I do not think that home schooling would "suddenly" be outlawed. Just like anything else, I think the right to do so would be chipped away through heavy regulation until it was so limited it would be easier to put your kids in school, or it would be easy to convince the majority that it was OK to ban it. It would be one tiny step at a time, which is why some people are so intense about their objection to even minor changes in home school law that are not in our favor. We still have to be careful. But I'd also say that about any of our consitutional rights, especially in light of recent events.

-To the person who brought up how they would feel if the government told them what to eat: I've known several neighbors who have had to constantly fight teachers giving their children candy as rewards, or using possibly peanut contaminated (made in the same facility) candy during class exercises as manipulatives, etc. Kind of random for me to comment on that, but when you mentioned that it made me think of the complaints I've heard about it. In some ways it seems that your wishes are evaluated according to the school's idea of what is right and if they agree you are OK, but if they do not they ignore you and do what they want.

-To the poor lady who was arrested. I am so sorry that happened to you. It sounds horrible and I don't want to believe it would happen in today's society, but unfortunately I do. I do not think that home schooling is as accepted as many people like to believe, and I think your situation shows how ugly the whole thing can quickly become. It's almost as if they were angry with you just because of what you do, or why would they use the law against you that way?

I guess you'd have to put me in the homeschool "traitors" category.

I believe in my right to homeschool, and I would fight for it. But only within the law. I would not risk my daughter ending up in foster care in order to homeschool her.

My first obligation is to my own child, not to other homeschooling families. In fact, this implication that we "owe" it to other homeschooling families to risk ourselves doesn't sound any fundamentally different than the argument some public school advocates use that we "owe" it to society to put our children in school. Sorry. That just doesn't fly for me. I do not owe it to anyone else to put my child in school, and I do not owe it to anyone else to homeschool her. My decisions are based on what I feel is best for her. Right now, that is homeschooling. It might not always be.

Edited by GretaLynne

Oh, and for the record, I'd probably put my daughter in private school and fight, but I wouldn't have much hope. Maybe I've just lost my faith b/c I just read Twilight of American Culture, LOL.

I don't know. I need to go hug my daughter and be glad for what I am able to do right now.

I'd get out my pitch-folk and tune in to FOX News 24/7 :tongue_smilie:

Bill

What does that mean? That you think that only conservative kooks would imagine that homeschooling could ever become illegal? :confused: If you look at homeschooling in other parts of the world, you will see that it most definitely is possible.

Given that I live in CA, I actually did think about what I would do if the state appellate court decision in the Long case banning HS without a state teacher's credential was upheld. What I decided was that I would enroll my dc in either a virtual charter school or a private correspondence school and then go back to school to earn a teacher's credential. I wouldn't be thrilled about having to spend the time & money on it, but it's better than not being able to HS.

Homeschooling is just a way of educating for us, not a "way of life"

I believe in my right to homeschool, and I would fight for it. But only within the law. I would not risk my daughter ending up in foster care in order to homeschool her.

My first obligation is to my own child, not to other homeschooling families. In fact, this implication that we "owe" it to other homeschooling families to risk ourselves doesn't sound any fundamentally different than the argument some public school advocates use that we "owe" it to society to put our children in school. Sorry. That just doesn't fly for me. I do not owe it to anyone else to put my child in school, and I do not owe it to anyone else to homeschool her. My decisions are based on what I feel is best for her. Right now, that is homeschooling. It might not always be.

:iagree: with the above posters.

I homeschool because the public school in my particular district is terrible and the good private schools cost too much.

If homeschooling became illegal, I would move into one of the fantastic public school districts (of which there are several in the counties surrounding us) or try to get our kids into the awesome private school near us on scholarship. Either way, I'd probably 'afterschool' to some extent.