Menu

Regional pronounciations - Anyone not from TN what to take a stab at Demonbreun?

I cheated and googled.:D

A few here:

Botetourt County, pronounced Bot-a-tot.

Staunton, pronounced STAN-ton.

Buchanan, pronounced Buh-CAN-non.

There was the phone call I received at work (library), and the woman kept asking about the "the like." I questioned her several times, trying to understand like what. It wasn't until I repeated it a few times that I understood: "the LAKE."

I met a woman who has lived in our county for at least 25 years, and I asked if she grew up here. She replied, "Oh, no, I'm not from around here! I'm from Bedford County!" That's the adjacent county, 30 minutes away. That counts as "here" to me!

Y'all talk funny out here.

Good thing I've moved around a bit! I know "Puyallup" is pronounced pew-ah-lip.

BTW, for all you Iowans out there, in Louisiana there is a town called Iowa, pronounced I-o (long o)-way.

In Louisiana- Natchitoches (No one ever gets this one right)

In Nebraska- Beatrice, Kearny, Papillion

In New York- Schaghticoke

DH grew up n Lamesa. Which looks like it should be La Mesa - like in CA. Only it's not. It's La ME Sa. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into 'discussions' about that one.

My mother was born there. Small world, eh? I have never met anyone else who has even heard of the place.

I'm not great at the whole breaking up words, but I gave these a shot.

In Nebraska-

Beatrice BE at tris?,

Kearny CAR nee?,

Papillion Pa PILL yen?

One to add

Alabama- Wetumpka

Well, you got Kearney right. I'd been saying it with an "e" sound. Beatrice is "be A (short a) tris." That one threw me for a loop. And Papillion just annoys the snot out of me. You pronounced it right, but it is a French word and should be pronounced "Pa pe on." You just don't say "ll" in French. You just don't.

BTW, for all you Iowans out there, in Louisiana there is a town called Iowa, pronounced I-o (long o)-way.

In Louisiana- Natchitoches (No one ever gets this one right)

My dh drives through I-O-way all the time. :D

And I finally learned how to say Nat-chi-dez correctly after living in the south for a few years.

Don't forget Nevada, MO (Ne-VAY-dah)

Well, you got Kearney right. I'd been saying it with an "e" sound. Beatrice is "be A (short a) tris." That one threw me for a loop. And Papillion just annoys the snot out of me. You pronounced it right, but it is a French word and should be pronounced "Pa pe on." You just don't say "ll" in French. You just don't.

I second guessed myself on Beatrice as you answered it as my gut was telling me. I spent 6 years in the Omaha region, 2 of which was in LaVista. I would have been in trouble if I had screwed up Papillion. I did have to say it out loud a few times to make sure I wrote that last syllable correctly.

Good thing I've moved around a bit!

In New York- Schaghticoke

I've been to the Schaghticoke Fair--over 20 years ago but I can still recall SCAT-i-coke.

Dh has family in upstate NY. All those Dutch names! The one that bugs me, though is in the Philadelphia area--the Schuylkill Expressway. Ugh! I hate the way it's pronounced.

Cinder

Nah, the real TN test is if you say MARY-ville or Murr-vul ;)

Oh,yes! We lived in small town MS, near Starkville. But I was told it was pronounced Starks-vull.

This is also where I heard "oil" as "o-wull" and "guides" as "gads."

Cinder

Hornblower... I'm going to agree with Kwiech and say "saw wassen" too. Are we right?? :)

Dropped the wrong letter - residents drop the first s: T' WASS en

It's a coast Salish word. I don't think I've heard a native person pronounce it so I'm not sure how they do it but it's how WE do it :D. BTW, Americans might be interested to know that Tsawwassen, BC is the only land route to Point Roberts, WA. It's also where the ferry terminal is for those destined to Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands or the Queen Charlottes (aka Haida Gwaii)

I've got one for ya'll from my city: Topeekeegee Yugnee

Oooooh, I like this one. It's fun to say - though I don't know if I can do 10x. :)

And I finally learned how to say Nat-chi-dez correctly after living in the south for a few years.

Now up here in the north (of Lousiana) we pronounce it Nack-a-dish. When we moved here, it took forever for me to get Natchitoches, LA and Nacogdoches, TX straight. I love hearing people try to pronounce Bossier City too - they always say it with a French accent or just totally butcher it.

My mother was born there. Small world, eh? I have never met anyone else who has even heard of the place.

You're kidding me! The wonder of the internet. I didn't know anyone actually left there. Most of dh's friends are still there, there parents, grandparent, and on and on are still there. Personally, I think I"d rather live most anywhere than Lamesa.

You're kidding me! The wonder of the internet. I didn't know anyone actually left there. Most of dh's friends are still there, there parents, grandparent, and on and on are still there. Personally, I think I"d rather live most anywhere than Lamesa.

Well, she didn't go very far, spent most of her life in TX as did my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, and my children are moving back there as soon as they can. I'll have to admit Lamesa is not one of the more impressive places in TX though.

Now up here in the north (of Lousiana) we pronounce it Nack-a-dish. When we moved here, it took forever for me to get Natchitoches, LA and Nacogdoches, TX straight. I love hearing people try to pronounce Bossier City too - they always say it with a French accent or just totally butcher it.

Duh, that's how I say it too. I can't spell phonetically. :lol::lol: Granted I was still on my first cup of coffee as I typed it.

I'll have to admit Lamesa is not one of the more impressive places in TX though.

I think you win the "Queen of the Understatement" award for the century. :lol::lol: I suppose if you like brown it could grow on you - brown earth, brown grass, brown skies, brown buildings. I'm not a big fan of brown though.

Okay, now you've got me thinking, LOL. Imagine my surprise when I moved to central Kentucky and learned that Versailles is pronounced Ver-SAILS and Athens is pronounced with a long A sound (still can't quite get used to that one)!

Illinois also has an AY-thuns...along with a KAY-roh and BER-len. (Spelled "Cairo" and "Berlin")

Where I live now in NC our city has an "old money" neighborhood called "Buena Vista". It's pronounced BYOO-nah Vista by the locals, and I find myself wondering what the Latinos who work as gardeners there think of the butchering of their language.

Illinois also has an AY-thuns...along with a KAY-roh and BER-len. (Spelled "Cairo" and "Berlin")

Where I live now in NC our city has an "old money" neighborhood called "Buena Vista". It's pronounced BYOO-nah Vista by the locals, and I find myself wondering what the Latinos who work as gardeners there think of the butchering of their language.

Cairo in IL is actually pronounced Care-oh. My husband pronounces it like the Egyptian city just to make me crazy. Of course, I'm the girl from SE MO who says, "Missour-ah".