Menu

Why do people homeschool their dc if they don't know the material or care to know it?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homeschooling is our job, if we chose to teach our children we need to treat it as such. If they fail we have no one but ourselves to blame. There are tons of resources out there, but it is still our job to make sure they are the correct ones. That our children are thriving and learning.

Just my two cents.

I don't understand it! The dc teaching themselves doesn't CUT it! :svengo:

Yes, yes, I know there are online courses, etc. but....

Do the online teachers have office hours to help struggling students IF the parent can't help? :confused: :toetap05:

I'm guessing that you are frustrated with a specific personal instance of this that you are witnessing. But it would be very safe to say that most homeschoolers don't feel this way. Most homeschoolers take their child's education very seriously.

There is much to be said for self-instruction, but most often it is still guided. There are always resources if a parent does not know the material well enough to teach it. Tutors, online course, CD's, etc.

:grouphug: Hope you have a better day :001_smile:

Well, do you mean all of the material or only some? I say this because I have a dd who studies some things I don't know and she prefers to self teach. She preferred that even when she was 8 and I knew everything she was learning. She's in high school now.

In our case, the why is because ps was not working for her, and my sitting down and teaching her was not going to work, either. She's doing very well in many areas and some of her subjects are definitely honours level. I wanted to learn Geometry to help her but didn't have time. The times she's been totally stumped I've gone to the high school forum for help, or the author of her text, or else one of my kid brothers (well, him mostly for some extra challenging Algebraic stuff in the Extra for Experts and something with Phsyics.)

I have three dc, and how much I need to teach/help each one has varied with their learning styles and the subjects. That said, my dc don't generally struggle with academics, although each of them has had things that they needed serious help with (long division for two of them, for example.)

The proof is in the pudding, is what I say. Yes, it's possible for dc educated this way to be educationally neglected. Yes, there have been intense periods in our lives where that has happened to one or more of my dc for a time, but ps is not a good option for any of them, and when things level out, we get back to stricter oversight, etc. All of my dc are ahead of the curve in reading, reading comprehension, math, etc.

However, this is only our story. Every family is different, and I can think of homeschooling families that aren't necessarily getting what I consider a strong education even though they have much closer one on one teaching.

I don't teach math or grammar. In our house Steve Demme teaches math via MUS and dd uses Growing with Grammar which doesn't require very much, if any, input from me.

I do check over her work daily and I"m here if she has questions, but to actually teach those subjects, nope.

The cases I've seen where people do this is because of some issue with schools, because parents don't want their children exposed to something in schools, be it bullying or dinosaurs or peer pressure or something else. I think those are okay motivations to begin, but there has to be some motivation to actually educate one's child in addition.

The dc teaching themselves doesn't CUT it! :svengo:

That would depend on the student and the subject. I have witnessed self-instruction work extremely well.

Do the online teachers have office hours to help struggling students IF the parent can't help?

Those we have used (The Potter's School and Memoria Press--both for Latin) certainly do have teachers available by chat and/or email as well as discussion boards when students need extra assistance.

My two highest goals for homeschooling are to raise independent learners and people who like to read and learn. My oldest has surpassed me in grammar, math and history. I am willing to re-learn whatever I need to if he gets stuck, but no, I don't do any formal teaching for him. at. all. I have chosen programs that do thorough teaching for me. I honestly remember very few PS teachers teaching me. We read from the textbook in class and did a few practice examples, then finished the work ourselves.

I'm guessing that you are frustrated with a specific personal instance of this that you are witnessing. But it would be very safe to say that most homeschoolers don't feel this way. Most homeschoolers take their child's education very seriously.

There is much to be said for self-instruction, but most often it is still guided. There are always resources if a parent does not know the material well enough to teach it. Tutors, online course, CD's, etc.

:grouphug: Hope you have a better day :001_smile:

I get frustrated with reading over & over again that the primary homeschooling parent doesn't know the upper level subjects, esp. English, math, & science.

People buy these programs at younger and younger ages and let the dc teach themselves for several yrs and then the parent can't help in the upper levels because they didn't take the time to learn as the dc was learning the material. TT comes to mind.

Yes, I believe dc can teach themselves if that works best but someone MUST be guiding and helping them along the way as needed.

Thanks for the hug!

Because the alternatives are worse.

:iagree:

Let's not judge too harshly what you perceive to be happening in other homeschooling households. I've seen so many shades of homeschooling work at different seasons of a family's life. I don't feel like you necessarily need to master all the material your child is learning, especially in the upper levels.

I just don't like to make judgments on other homeschooling families in general.

Blessings,

Lisa

I get frustrated with reading over & over again that the primary homeschooling parent doesn't know the upper level subjects, esp. English, math, & science.

People buy these programs at younger and younger ages and let the dc teach themselves for several yrs and then the parent can't help in the upper levels because they didn't take the time to learn as the dc was learning the material. TT comes to mind.

I never had a teacher give me extra help after elementary school.

I guess I don't understand what your frustration is, or why it reaches a level of "frustration" for you. To each their own. We all have our limitations as a homeschoooling parent, and I don't see being "frustrated" with other parents based on theirs.

Lisa

Your 9 yo is smarter than you? :confused:

Smarter?? Well, yes, he has a much higher IQ than me. :D

Anyhow, I haven't done fractions or decimals for decades, so I don't remember it. I could easily re-learn it. I honestly don't think I ever learned some of the grammar in R&S 5. My daughter will probably need more help than my son, so I am sure I will be learning it all soon enough. My point is that, imho, I think your judgements about self learning are wrong.

You must be having a really bad day. :grouphug:

Anyhow, I haven't done fractions or decimals for decades, so I don't remember it. I could easily re-learn it. I honestly don't think I ever learned some of the grammar in R&S 5. My daughter will probably need more help than my son, so I am sure I will be learning it all soon enough. My point is that, imho, I think your judgements about self learning are wrong.

:lol: I didn't know what a present participle was until last week. I really think I missed that day in school. I had to read dd's lesson to make sure she was doing the exercises correctly.

Good point. I was not allowed to work at my speed in math, because I'd work ahead of the class in high school and as soon as I had just one question, I had to go back with the class. Later I quit trying in math altogether because a pair of twin boys were allowed to be in a math class 3 grades ahead of where they were and I'd been denied to work ahead the way I could have. Basically, I self taught myself math and all the teacher did was check my work until I quit trying.

My, word, yes. That was one of the first things I noticed. (this thread may eventually even merit a smiley or two)

Ok, people, play nice.

I don't like those tags. Honestly, I think MIch elle is just frustrated with something, so I answered her about how we do things. I've seen her here for a long time and have never thought her a snob. I didn't care for the little emoticon she put beside it, but since I can get rather upset and intense at times, I decided to let that go based on how I perceive her in general.

Have you read The Seven Laws of Teaching? It's an excellent book about this very subject. It describes what qualifications an effective teacher needs and what negatives occur when they aren't present. In short, if the teacher knows the material, he/she can make connections to other material, can teach with greater enthusiasm, is free from depending on materials which will inhibit obbserving and interacting with the student(s), and will give the student confidence. Gregory sums it up in his first 'Law': "The teacher must know that which he would teach."

I don't like those tags. Honestly, I think MIch elle is just frustrated with something, so I answered her about how we do things. I've seen her here for a long time and have never thought her a snob. I didn't care for the little emoticon she put beside it, but since I can get rather upset and intense at times, I decided to let that go based on how I perceive her in general.

Oh, I agree. Mich elle did come across as frustrated. I don't think she is a snob. I was just pointing out that the smart alecks are out in full force.

I don't understand it! The dc teaching themselves doesn't CUT it! :svengo:

Yes, yes, I know there are online courses, etc. but....

Do the online teachers have office hours to help struggling students IF the parent can't help? :confused: :toetap05:

As for online classes having office hours . . . we have three online classes.

I want my girl to have Latin and she wants to have it. I don't know it and don't feel I can teach it and I want to take it too. So, we have the one in my sig line. We have class twice per week, help session one evening, and access to the teacher via email at any time -- she answers any email questions quickly.

For math, my girl is very mathy and I wanted the very best for her. I think that in her case that's singapore math. Not being a mathy person AT ALL, math got to a point that I couldn't do it as well as I thought someone else could. My girl almost never has questions in math but when she does, the teacher is available via email. She has class twice per week

for an hour and 15 minutes each class period. It is incredible.

For writing, we had been using IEW for a long time but it just wansn't getting anywhere . . . at least not where we wanted to be. Also, something I really enjoy had become too full of angst and woe. We signed up for the one in my sig line and this is a class that we take together. It's really a class for the mom to become the writing ally for her student. That is really what I wanted. I wanted to forget IEW and learn how to become the writing teacher my daughter deserves. So, that explains that. It isnt' the typical, if there is one, online class.

We really like having a mix of online, mommy teaching, and live outside classes (violin, orchestra, art).

I don't feel at all that I'm a hands-off mom in any regard but specifically in terms of education since you asked. I've gotten mentors for her or us or me in areas I felt we would benefit. We like it a lot!

but, I have some subjects that my dc self-teach. I spend a LOT of money on good curriculum that has cd-rom instruction because I know that that particular subject is weak for me. For example: When I was in high school (in the wonderful '80s!) in order to graduate, we only had to have 1 math credit. :eek:! Really! So I took Algebra 1 in 10th grade and called it good. Well, now they have to have 1 full math credit each year. I can't teach or even begin to understand Geometry--I just can't. So I spend money on curriculm that dd15 can do on her own and e-mail the instructor if there's an issue.

When it comes to other subjects, some of them we do together every day, some we do where I meet with them once a week and then they are on their own the rest of the week. I'm available for questions, but, I don't sit down and physically teach them every day. It's not necessary anymore. They've learned to be self-motivated, self-directed, and responsible for their work.

Anyway, that's my opinon!

Oh, I agree. Mich elle did come across as frustrated. I don't think she is a snob. I was just pointing out that the smart alecks are out in full force.

:). That's what I thought you were doing, because I know you, too! Same with Renai.

Edited by Karin

That's sad. I did. In math, science, foreign language, and an elective in junior high and high school. I also participated in things like an after-school LOGO computer programming course in 6th grade. :) I had a teacher in 12th grade call me at home to give me a heads-up on a PBS showing of a movie that night that related to some work I was doing in her class. She had to go through the phone book to find me -- she actually called my grandma's house first!

I don't think it's instructive to compare the WORST of the realities of one scenario with the BEST of the ideals of other, in any arena. There are some great homeschooling experiences and great public school experiences, and horrid of both. And great ideals in both cases.

The dc teaching themselves doesn't CUT it!

If my kids still need me to teach them everything by the time they reach high school, I will feel that I didn't do a very good job homeschooling them. My aim is to teach them how to learn on their own, not just how to be taught by others. I don't expect that I will know all the material they learn, and I am fine with that.

Tara

I don't think it's instructive to compare the WORST of the realities of one scenario with the BEST of the ideals of other, in any arena. There are some great homeschooling experiences and great public school experiences, and horrid of both. And great ideals in both cases.

:iagree:, although not many get the best ideal of ps. None of us is perfect, either, so all of us fall short somewhere if we're honest.

IMO there is a difference between the apathetic homeschooling parent who plugs in a DVD because they can't be bothered with educating, and the parent that understands their weakness and chooses to facilitate rather than teach a class.

Plus now I have this song stuck in my head. :lol:

ARTIST: Sam Cooke

TITLE: Wonderful World (Don't Know Much)

Lyrics and Chords

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about a science book

Don't know much about the French I took

But I do know that I love you

And I know that if you love me too

What a wonderful world this would be

Don't know much about geography

Don't know much trigonometry

Don't know much about algebra

Don't know what a slide rule is for

But I do know one and one is two

And if this one could be with you

What a wonderful world this would be

Now, I don't claim to be an "A" student

But I'm trying to be

For maybe by being an "A" student baby

I can win your love for me

Absolutely. Thus, the comment to "play nice." I certainly didn't think she was being a snob or superior (tags). I almost posted I hoped people would change their mean tags, but it's not my place.

Absolutely. Thus, the comment to "play nice." I certainly didn't think she was being a snob or superior (tags). I almost posted I hoped people would change their mean tags, but it's not my place.

Right or wrong, we all have been around here long enough to know that when we put out bold statements/opinions, we are opening ourselves up for this type of stuff. She basically (my perception) made judgments of other moms here, and others don't react kindly to that.

Lisa

Yes, I believe dc can teach themselves if that works best but someone MUST be guiding and helping them along the way as needed.

Thanks for the hug!

From the FAQ at Teaching Textbooks:

Do you offer toll-free telephone support?

A. Yes. The purpose of the Teaching Textbook™ is to provide students a way to learn math without an on-site teacher. This means that if the Solutions CDs don’t answer all your questions, we’ll have tutors available over the phone as a final backstop.

Just FYI. Yes, they are available.

Right or wrong, we all have been around here long enough to know that when we put out bold statements/opinions, we are opening ourselves up for this type of stuff. She basically (my perception) made judgments of other moms here, and others don't react kindly to that.

Lisa

Yes, we're mostly old fogies here. We are allowed opinions. I haven't stated mine. Only about mean tags. Right now, I'm the mean one, because I'm making my 10yo dd alphabetize spelling words. I am mean, and the book is dumb. Yet, life goes on, doesn't it?

Lisa

After a number of years on these forums, I have learned that even though you are correct that people will get upset, we're none of us perfect. Everyone in life says things, either accidentally or on purpose, that give offense. Everyone. Even the nicest people on this forum have done that in their lives. It pays to be giving and forgiving. The people that offend me on this board are those who habitually sound harsh or judgemental.

To be honest, my initial knee jerk reaction was the same as yours, but then I took the time to think about it, who was saying it and why she might be saying it.

Against my better judgment, I will wade into this discussion.

OP, I don't know you, though I am sure you are a lovely lady who is doing your best to educate your dc the best way you know how, but I am afraid you did come across as condescending to those who do not homeschool according to your standards. I would bet that was not your intention, but that was the vibe I got.

Honestly, I am sick and tired of this argument. I am constantly questioned by non-homeschooler. "Are you smart enough to homeschool?" "Do you honestly think you can teach your child EVERYTHING?" "Wow! You must be really smart to homeschool!" Now I see an argument by a fellow homeschooler that there are hs moms out there who are essentially not smart enough to teach their own children. OP, I am sure you were frustrated by one specific example, but unfortunately you hit a nerve.

I think this argument boils down to people being "smart enough" to homeschool. And it will offend people. It offends me when non-homeschoolers bring up the issue, and it is hurtful when other hsers bring up the issue. Who cares if I am smart enough? I love my kids wholeheartedly and will do WHATEVER it takes to give them a good education. If I have to outsource, so be it. That is my choice as a mother.

Sorry if I sound agitated. I am under-caffeinated. And OP, sorry if I picked on you.

I think that's a very fair question to ask.

But I wouldn't assume that everyone who doesn't know (or master) the material doesn't care.

For some of us, we are doing the best we can. I can not spend what little free time I have while the kids are in younger, preparing for high school level math, science, and english. And just because I don't know the material doesn't mean I can't help. When my child asks a question that I can't answer I say "I don't know, let's find out together." I'm not all knowing, no teacher is.

Like many homeschooling parents I have a love of learning, I keep that passion active, my children see me pursuing information and new experiences.

I hope that these things propel my kids to be fearless in self education for the rest of their lives.

I use TT, for now it's working wonderfully mostly because my 5th grader is self motivated, if she gets stuck she asks for help, we find an answer (even if it means running across the street to a friends for help :)).

My daughters already know I have limits. I'm not even supposed to go outside during the day. They know I can't do it all, that I don't know it all. That's important to know about your parents, and people in general.

I'm battling the effects of Lupus everyday, unfortunately it wants to turn my brain to goo. Do I have the right to homeschool if I struggle many mornings with basic math? I ask myself how will I manage high school? Am I doing a disservice to my children? Well now both of my girls have developed Tourette syndrome! Now I really don't think I'd put them in school.

I'm not telling you this for pity, I'm telling you because, some of us have to be grateful for "second rate" TT kind of curriculum. It allows us to carry on, despite all of the obstacles. I know there are tons of other parents out there in similar situations.

I may be miss-reading your post? But that's the kind of thinking that also makes me a little embarrassed to post here, because for all of the spelling and grammar mistakes I make, you could say "how can you homeschool your kids through high school if you can't even write out a proper post on WTM?". My brain has been compromised, but I pull my resources and keep trying. I use spell check, I use TT, I do what I can. That's going to have to be good enough for my family.

but, I have some subjects that my dc self-teach. I spend a LOT of money on good curriculum that has cd-rom instruction because I know that that particular subject is weak for me. For example: When I was in high school (in the wonderful '80s!) in order to graduate, we only had to have 1 math credit. :eek:! Really! So I took Algebra 1 in 10th grade and called it good. Well, now they have to have 1 full math credit each year. I can't teach or even begin to understand Geometry--I just can't. So I spend money on curriculm that dd15 can do on her own and e-mail the instructor if there's an issue.

When it comes to other subjects, some of them we do together every day, some we do where I meet with them once a week and then they are on their own the rest of the week. I'm available for questions, but, I don't sit down and physically teach them every day. It's not necessary anymore. They've learned to be self-motivated, self-directed, and responsible for their work.

Anyway, that's my opinon!

This is pretty much my philosophy, too. Actually, Dayle's geometry problem is my algebra problem. When I can't help them anymore, I will be absolutely certain to provide them with the means to learn it independent of me, whether that means tutors, a thorough dvd program, outside classes, or all three. That's my job. I also think its really important to provide some very good instruction during the elementary years so that they can ease into self teaching through the junior high years and be mostly independent during high school. But that certainly doesn't mean I won't be willing to help them in every possible way I can. At least, that's what I'd like to see, anyway.

Against my better judgment, I will wade into this discussion.

OP, I don't know you, though I am sure you are a lovely lady who is doing your best to educate your dc the best way you know how, but I am afraid you did come across as condescending to those who do not homeschool according to your standards. I would bet that was not your intention, but that was the vibe I got.

Honestly, I am sick and tired of this argument. I am constantly questioned by non-homeschooler. "Are you smart enough to homeschool?" "Do you honestly think you can teach your child EVERYTHING?" "Wow! You must be really smart to homeschool!" Now I see an argument by a fellow homeschooler that there are hs moms out there who are essentially not smart enough to teach their own children. OP, I am sure you were frustrated by one specific example, but unfortunately you hit a nerve.

I think this argument boils down to people being "smart enough" to homeschool. And it will offend people. It offends me when non-homeschoolers bring up the issue, and it is hurtful when other hsers bring up the issue. Who cares if I am smart enough? I love my kids wholeheartedly and will do WHATEVER it takes to give them a good education. If I have to outsource, so be it. That is my choice as a mother.

Sorry if I sound agitated. I am under-caffeinated. And OP, sorry if I picked on you.

:iagree: Very well said!

Blessings,

Lisa

If my kids still need me to teach them everything by the time they reach high school, I will feel that I didn't do a very good job homeschooling them. My aim is to teach them how to learn on their own, not just how to be taught by others. I don't expect that I will know all the material they learn, and I am fine with that.

Tara

:iagree:

I agree. So many homeschoolers are led astray by the common homeschool-guru mantra of, "at least it's better than public school." It is a lie that the least homeschool efforts are still better than public school. I meet more and more homeschoolers each year who send a dc to public school and are shocked to learn that they are struggling to keep up with their ps classmates, because the parents were assured by other homeschoolers, magazines, and books that a very relaxed homeschooling program was still ahead of the public school curriculum.

There is a time and place for most things educationally. I see that the OP has only 2 children listed. I was able to be very hand-on and involved with dd for her first 13 years of life. She was an only child. My goal had always been to get her to be more independent and self directed in her learning. I told her early on that I looked forward to the day when she would begin to teach me things, then I would know that I had done a good job of teaching her how to learn and search out things for herself.

Now we have added another child, who has helped dd make a more thorough transition to independent study. He.takes.time. :) Dd's schedule is also very full. There is NO way that I can keep up. So far, so good. She knows how to look things up online and does so if needed. Her PSAT score was excellent, so I don't feel like she has been harmed in the least, because she has passed me in her math skills, science exposure, and writing skills. I am able to learn anything, but I would also need the time. I can only imagine the laughter of my good friend with many children, if she was told she had to know everything her kids learned. So far they have also done well. She teaches some things and a lot of the work is done independently. Her oldest got a full ride scholarship to a well known engineering program and did very well. I think her children are getting a good education. It isn't the way I taught, but then I had only 1 child. My way has worked with my dd and they way they do things in their family seems to be working just fine for them.

I don't recall getting much help from teachers at any age. My parents didn't help me either. That is a part of the reason I chose to homeschool. I used the opportunity to teach my dd how to learn and teach herself. I tried to teach her that she can learn nearly anything on her own. I taught her that the information is our there in the form of books, videos, online sites, or people with expertise. I love the fact that she teaches me things now. That makes me feel successful and blessed.

To be honest, my initial knee jerk reaction was the same as yours, but then I took the time to think about it, who was saying it and why she might be saying it.

The problem is, this assumes that you know who the people on the board are. With few exceptions, I don't remember any certain posters as being any certain posters. I don't read someone's post and "know" who they are or remember what they have written in the past. Most of the people on TWTM are, to me, just random people posting things (and I expect that I am just as random to pretty much everyone else here).

While we should all try to extend some grace to people, counting on others to know who you are or why you've said something or what you're like isn't realistic. People will react to the words, tone, and attitude far more than they will who said it (imo).

Tara

Guest Dulcimeramy
I think that's a very fair question to ask.

But I wouldn't assume that everyone who doesn't know (or master) the material doesn't care.

For some of us, we are doing the best we can. I can not spend what little free time I have while the kids are in younger, preparing for high school level math, science, and english. And just because I don't know the material doesn't mean I can't help. When my child asks a question that I can't answer I say "I don't know, let's find out together." I'm not all knowing, no teacher is.

Like many homeschooling parents I have a love of learning, I keep that passion active, my children see me pursuing information and new experiences.

I hope that these things propel my kids to be fearless in self education for the rest of their lives.

I use TT, for now it's working wonderfully mostly because my 5th grader is self motivated, if she gets stuck she asks for help, we find an answer (even if it means running across the street to a friends for help :)).

My daughters already know I have limits. I'm not even supposed to go outside during the day. They know I can't do it all, that I don't know it all. That's important to know about your parents, and people in general.

I'm battling the effects of Lupus everyday, unfortunately it wants to turn my brain to goo. Do I have the right to homeschool if I struggle many mornings with basic math? I ask myself how will I manage high school? Am I doing a disservice to my children? Well now both of my girls have developed Tourette syndrome! Now I really don't think I'd put them in school.

I'm not telling you this for pity, I'm telling you because, some of us have to be grateful for "second rate" TT kind of curriculum. It allows us to carry on, despite all of the obstacles. I know there are tons of other parents out there in similar situations.

I may be miss-reading your post? But that's the kind of thinking that also makes me a little embarrassed to post here, because for all of the spelling and grammar mistakes I make, you could say "how can you homeschool your kids through high school if you can't even write out a proper post on WTM?". My brain has been compromised, but I pull my resources and keep trying. I use spell check, I use TT, I do what I can. That's going to have to be good enough for my family.

Good post. :grouphug:

I also have lupus, and my brain is also swiss-cheesed. I often use the wrong word. I sometimes seem like a terrible liar, or at least hopelessly inconsistent, because I don't realize when I contradict myself.

I've chosen to be very real about being imperfect, both here and IRL. I share my dc's writing samples, and ask questions when I don't understand something. It does not bother me that the better-educated may read my child's writing and weep for his poor education. I'm just hoping to encourage and share with others of my level.

I reach for the best in ideals, philosophies, and methods, figuring that I may never attain to them no matter how hard I try, but I certainly won't if I don't try. And my children and I will grow in that attempt.

Am I up to this task? I'm not sure. I may never know the full reach of my decision to hs my dc. I do know this: I have been to our local public school and I have talked with teachers who are there every day. My children are definitely better off here at home, even with imperfect, ill-equipped me.

Edited to add: I posted here because I am one of the many who will often confess to being unfamiliar with the material. For example, I once shared that I was reading Plutarch (translated) with my dc, and that I'd never even heard of Plutarch until 2009. Crickets chirped! What would you have me do? Not read Plutarch to my dc? Is Plutarch only for those who sat at the feet of a classics professor in a real college?

Edited by Dulcimeramy

I think it's troubling when homeschooling parents OR school teachers have no particular interest in the child learning something AND also lack any interest in their own professional education (i.e. broadening their own understanding of both subject areas and how to teach well). (Is that a sufficiently complex sentence?) I have personal experience with unsuccessful teachers of both sorts. I tend to be not very excited about those who just read from the text, wherever the location. I think there is something special about a teacher imparting knowledge s/he understands and explaining things and answering questions and so on.

But I don't really have a way of "knowing" which teacher/parent is inspiring the child to greater heights, and which is leading the child nowhere, at least through a cursory glance, or by simply finding out what curriculum someone is using. And I don't personally find it very beneficial to give it very much thought, except inasmuch as it motivates me to do what I think I should.