Menu

Major Earthquake in Haiti

I just got this from a friend who is a missionary in Haiti. He has adopted several Hatian boys and those are the ones he talks about.

This is an update from Tom.

Our family is safe. The buildings, homes, businesses, and hospitals of Port-au-Prince are flattened. We stand outside and weep as we hear thousands of crying people. Thousands have died, many, many around our house. Ten of the boys were out rescuing people from under fallen walls and buildings.

One of our guys from Minnotree just came by on motorcycle, The big rice factory, with 500 men working, collapsed. Titiyan, Source Matles, Minnotree, flat, except a few houses; Pastor Jackie's house still stands tall.

Gas station near our house, market, all flat. Several hospitals have collapsed, and, therefore, no place to take people. My boys who have families in these villages are weeping and praying in the yard. We feel it is too unsafe to drive with power lines down and total chaos.

Our houses shook and swayed back and forth for at least ten seconds. I was driving and thought the axle fell out. Roger is not here. He was in Port-au-Prince at bible college. Pray for Manel, Roger, Jony and Deckenson, Claismay, Bobby and our entire staff.

The air is full of wailing. We just got after shock, about four of them since the big one, and the boys are afraid to come in the houses. More later. Not sure what lies ahead. God is in control. Pray for the people of Haiti. tominhaiti.

For Contributions

Jesus in Haiti Ministries, Inc. | Suite 155 | 10214 Chestnut Plaza Drive | Fort Wayne, IN 46814

http://www.jesusinhaiti.org

Tom has been a friend of the family for years and my kids always love when he comes to visit and stays with us.

Another family from our church is scheduled to go to Haiti for a 1 week mission trip to Tom's ministry in 2 weeks. Not sure if that will happen now or not.

Wow. I just read that the quake was felt 160 miles away in Cuba!! :eek: My husband is Dominican and has family on the Dominican/Haitian border. Hope they're okay. This is tragic. These poor people just can't get a break!

Yes, it seems like it was very powerful. We still have not been able to make contact with our family that is still living there. My husband's parents are in Carrefour (a district of Port au Prince) and he has sisters in the city, too. We're a little worried.

Yes, it seems like it was very powerful. We still have not been able to make contact with our family that is still living there. My husband's parents are in Carrefour (a district of Port au Prince) and he has sisters in the city, too. We're a little worried.

I can imagine. I hope they are okay. This is so tragic. I read that they haven't had an earthquake this powerful in 200 years! :eek:

I can imagine. I hope they are okay. This is so tragic. I read that they haven't had an earthquake this powerful in 200 years! :eek:

Thanks, I hope you're dh's family is okay too. Yeah, it seems really bad... We were planning on going down there this summer... Not sure how the plans will change now.

Here is another update from our missionary in Haiti

January 12, 2010

hi from haiti

This is the worst thing to ever happen to Haiti. The worst news will come tomorrow. My heart is so heavy. We just got our 15th or so after shock tremor. Some last for 10 seconds. It is very scary.

By tomorrow morning, our webmaster will have a donate button for you to help with this crisis. We will be helping as many people as we can, in our points of light, and neighborhood in the next few days and weeks. We will be helping with medical help, food and drinking water. No amount of money will be enough but whatever we get, every single penny will go to help these poor people. Sadly, we already have some deaths in our points of light, we will need to help with that.

We are all sleeping in the courtyard outside as the houses keep shaking. Much of our inside stuff was broken but house seems solid. we will check in the morning on structural damage.

We plan on leaving at 5am before sun up to visit our villages. Several motorcyles have come to our house from the village checking on us, with terrible reports of death and destruction.

Our Roger came home 30 minutes ago, fell into our arms, He was at Bible school in a building that collapsed, he was injured and walked the 5 miles home. He lost some classmates.

Our board of directors were scheduled to come this week but we have cancelled the meeting. This will last for a long time. Just now another tremor, about number 17. We have reports of much looting going on. Our guard did not show up today so I am standing guard duty over my sleeping family in the courtyard.

We just got full supplies this morning, praise God. God placed us here for such a time as this. We will do our best to be Jesus to these people and bring relief.

Side note, I brought a little blind boy home last week, 7 year old and blind since birth. What a sweetie, Jovens. We will seek medical help to check out his eyes.

Also, just heard the UN headquarters collapsed. checking the report, will give you update tomorrow afternoon or night. Pray will ya, still unaccounted for is Manel, Jony and Clasimay., tom

For Contributions

Jesus in Haiti Ministries, Inc. | Suite 155 | 10214 Chestnut Plaza Drive | Fort Wayne, IN 46814

http://www.jesusinhaiti.org

There's a very large Haitian-American community here in Miami. They're a pretty proactive community, so hopefully tomorrow they'll have collection places where I can drop off blankets, food, checks, whatever.

I feel awful for these people. How many people are going to spend the night tonight not knowing if someone they love very much is alive, or dead, or just trapped under rubble hoping to be found. What a catastrophe.

Edited by tdeveson

I know that there will be lots of places to donate, etc. but if you are looking for one, http://www.jesusinhaiti.org is very good. 100% of the money given will go DIRECTLY to Haiti and the relief. The mission board/directors, etc. are all volunteers (I know many of them) so other than small postage costs for things they mail, 100% of the money goes directly to the ministry and now the relief efforts.

They said they will be updating their website, etc. as they can but of course, communication can be difficult.

Check the news. This sounds like it couldn't be much worse. All power seems to be out, buildings down, some flooding... Get your checkbooks ready.

I know that there will be lots of places to donate, etc. but if you are looking for one, www.jesusinhaiti.org is very good. 100% of the money given will go DIRECTLY to Haiti and the relief. The mission board/directors, etc. are all volunteers (I know many of them) so other than small postage costs for things they mail, 100% of the money goes directly to the ministry and now the relief efforts.

They said they will be updating their website, etc. as they can but of course, communication can be difficult.

Thanks for this information. I'm just SICK watching the coverage this morning :crying:.

Thanks for this information. I'm just SICK watching the coverage this morning :crying:.

We are waiting for updates as 3 of Tom's "boys" were still missing as of last night. These are teenage young men that Tom has cared for as his own sons for many years. Most are orhans that had no where else to go. They live with him, help him in his ministry, he sends them to school, etc.

I know there will be many places to donate but some of them take a large % of the money given for "expenses", etc. I know with this ministry, that is not the case.

Check the news. This sounds like it couldn't be much worse. All power seems to be out, buildings down, some flooding... Get your checkbooks ready.

Thank you for posting this. I have a friend whose family is still in Haiti, her sisters are fine, but her mother is missing. If I hadn't seen your post this morning, I wouldn't have seen the news til later.

Praying.

Ottakee, thank you for providing the updates. Tragedies such as this are overwhelming. We have our usual aid organizations that we contribute to; however, this time you have provided us with a smaller, more personal focal point. We hold your friend, his family, and their community in our hearts and wait anxiously for your donation button.

My sympathy and warm wishes to all of our board members with loved ones and friends in Haiti.

I believe there will be much to do for a long time. Your trip this fall will be much needed. We have a mission group going to New Orleans this winter. There is still work to do down there so I can only imagine how long it will take in Haiti.

Oh, definitely! I am sure the work will take years and years.

I know that there will be lots of places to donate, etc. but if you are looking for one, http://www.jesusinhaiti.org is very good. 100% of the money given will go DIRECTLY to Haiti and the relief. The mission board/directors, etc. are all volunteers (I know many of them) so other than small postage costs for things they mail, 100% of the money goes directly to the ministry and now the relief efforts.

Thank you very much for posting this. I made a donation via Paypal. It was very easy to do, and I wish it could have been a whole lot more.

Please be aware that Pat Robertson reported that this is because Haiti entered into a pact with the devil. Please donate but avoid doing so through his morally corrupt and evil network.

Mahalo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/13/crimesider/entry6092717.shtml

:blink:

Isn't there some law about being crass, rude and downright horrible in the face of disaster, death and chaos?

I know a La Leche League Leader in Port-au-Prince. We have not heard from her.

My BIL's wife agrees with Robertson. She also believes that New Orleans and Biloxi deserved Katerina because the cities are full of sin. Yeah, I don't talk to her unless I have to, and then it's only the polite civilties.

I know a La Leche League Leader in Port-au-Prince. We have not heard from her.

My BIL's wife agrees with Robertson. She also believes that New Orleans and Biloxi deserved Katerina because the cities are full of sin. Yeah, I don't talk to her unless I have to, and then it's only the polite civilties.

Musing and philosophising is one thing, but doing it in a public forum during the onset of such a horrible, gut-wrenching catastrophe is simply the height of...goodness, I don't even have a strong enough word in my head right now. I think he said something similar after the tsunami.

I certainly hope everyone hears good news about their friends and family soon. :grouphug:

Another update from my missionary friend in Haiti

Dear friends,

The past 30 hours have been incredible and very sobering. Without knowing if there is any damage to our homes, our entire family slept in the courtyard on mattress's. Our security guard didn't show up so I was the guard all night, It was a long night.

By 5:30 am we were up and getting ready to head to the villages where we do ministry. We arrived just after sun up and first went to our mission compound. Praise God we have NO damage, everything intact.

I along with Linda Neal one of our board members and 7 of my boys then began to walk the village of Source Matles. Let me be clear on our role in this crisis. We are not part of search and rescue. We were involved in that in our neighborhood moments after the quake hit but not today. The search and rescue is going on in Port au Prince. In the villages there are NO 2 story buildings or houses.

What we found in the village is nearly 100% of the folks homeless. Last night they all slept on the ground in front of their small homes. All the homes were damaged, entire walls falling in, roofs caving in and walls cracking. We heard many stories of babies nearly killed. I held two little babies, one had a scratch on his lip and one had a scratch on his neck, this from a falling cement block that hit them. The moms were praising God.

We toured the village for over 3 hours, hearing every story, seeing everyones' destroyed homes. We were able to help many people who still needed medical care. We also promised about 25 families we would help rebuild their home.

What a joy to see their faces, and the hope that we had given. This is just one of our 4 villages. The other villages have been destroyed just as badly.

I have taken in 5 teens into my home who are homeless and we will help rebuild their homes. The cost to help each family rebuild will be about $300-$500.

We are working on food distribution tomorrow for those who need meals. Water is not an issue in Source Matles as they have a fresh spring water.

We are still sleeping in court yard. The after shocks keep coming, and are very strong and very scary. Of course all schools are canceled and may be for the rest of the year.

Tomorrow we hope to be able to get back to the Good Samaritan orphanage, as well as begin to meet the needs of our 100 school children.

What you are seeing on CNN is not happening in the villages but they are all homeless and need our help so badly, which we are doing.

Think of everything in your home, in ruins, lying under cement blocks. You have no money, no food and can't even think about rebuilding. We are giving hope back.

Today we had one meal at our home, a 3pm pot of rice and beans, and popcorn tonight as we ration the food.

I am very sad as we have reports that the French Grocery store I have been going to for 12 years, was leveled. I made dozens of friends in 12 years with the owners, the cashiers, the bag men and I am so sad that most of them are probably dead.

The garbage dump people of Merjay are doing fine. Two men came to my house today and said "God spared us, no injuries, no structural damage". We still have Titiyan, Cabaret and Minnotree to visit in up coming days.

There is NO where to buy food or gas at this point. I do need to try to find blankets tomorrow as the people are very cold at night. I know it is still 70 but that is cold for these folks,. Imagine your temp dropping from 70 to 40, you would be cold. I hope to get 100 blankets to distribute.

I could go on but I will stop. Our guard is here today so I can sleep in my shaky bed tonight. The boys think I am crazy for sleeping in the house but the bugs are so bad outside. We will have pictures on our website that are amazing and really paint the picture of what has happened in the rural areas.

tominhaiti

For Contributions

We have friends in Les Cayes and a small village in the mountains. We haven't heard anything yet. This early news coming is devastating... so I am sure it will be much worse tomorrow. This poor country.

Oh, poor Haiti.

The child I sponsor through Compassion International is in Les Cayes. Please be sure to post if you hear from your friends I will be praying!

Please be aware that Pat Robertson reported that this is because Haiti entered into a pact with the devil. Please donate but avoid doing so through his morally corrupt and evil network.

Mahalo.

To use this public forum to denounce or judge -- in the midst of all of these heartfelt replies to such a terrible tragedy -- makes me wonder of your sincerity. Tacky. Truly tacky to bring up this off topic subject on this thread. If you have a beef with the fellow write to him or post an s/o thread about this nugget of "news"... honestly. :glare:

Edited by tex-mex

Another update from my missionary friend in Haiti

Dear friends,

The past 30 hours have been incredible and very sobering. Without knowing if there is any damage to our homes, our entire family slept in the courtyard on mattress's. Our security guard didn't show up so I was the guard all night, It was a long night.

By 5:30 am we were up and getting ready to head to the villages where we do ministry. We arrived just after sun up and first went to our mission compound. Praise God we have NO damage, everything intact.

I along with Linda Neal one of our board members and 7 of my boys then began to walk the village of Source Matles. Let me be clear on our role in this crisis. We are not part of search and rescue. We were involved in that in our neighborhood moments after the quake hit but not today. The search and rescue is going on in Port au Prince. In the villages there are NO 2 story buildings or houses.

What we found in the village is nearly 100% of the folks homeless. Last night they all slept on the ground in front of their small homes. All the homes were damaged, entire walls falling in, roofs caving in and walls cracking. We heard many stories of babies nearly killed. I held two little babies, one had a scratch on his lip and one had a scratch on his neck, this from a falling cement block that hit them. The moms were praising God.

We toured the village for over 3 hours, hearing every story, seeing everyones' destroyed homes. We were able to help many people who still needed medical care. We also promised about 25 families we would help rebuild their home.

What a joy to see their faces, and the hope that we had given. This is just one of our 4 villages. The other villages have been destroyed just as badly.

I have taken in 5 teens into my home who are homeless and we will help rebuild their homes. The cost to help each family rebuild will be about $300-$500.

We are working on food distribution tomorrow for those who need meals. Water is not an issue in Source Matles as they have a fresh spring water.

We are still sleeping in court yard. The after shocks keep coming, and are very strong and very scary. Of course all schools are canceled and may be for the rest of the year.

Tomorrow we hope to be able to get back to the Good Samaritan orphanage, as well as begin to meet the needs of our 100 school children.

What you are seeing on CNN is not happening in the villages but they are all homeless and need our help so badly, which we are doing.

Think of everything in your home, in ruins, lying under cement blocks. You have no money, no food and can't even think about rebuilding. We are giving hope back.

Today we had one meal at our home, a 3pm pot of rice and beans, and popcorn tonight as we ration the food.

I am very sad as we have reports that the French Grocery store I have been going to for 12 years, was leveled. I made dozens of friends in 12 years with the owners, the cashiers, the bag men and I am so sad that most of them are probably dead.

The garbage dump people of Merjay are doing fine. Two men came to my house today and said "God spared us, no injuries, no structural damage". We still have Titiyan, Cabaret and Minnotree to visit in up coming days.

There is NO where to buy food or gas at this point. I do need to try to find blankets tomorrow as the people are very cold at night. I know it is still 70 but that is cold for these folks,. Imagine your temp dropping from 70 to 40, you would be cold. I hope to get 100 blankets to distribute.

I could go on but I will stop. Our guard is here today so I can sleep in my shaky bed tonight. The boys think I am crazy for sleeping in the house but the bugs are so bad outside. We will have pictures on our website that are amazing and really paint the picture of what has happened in the rural areas.

tominhaiti

For Contributions

Ottakee, I do appreciate the updates! Praying for the devastation.

The child I sponsor through Compassion International is in Les Cayes. Please be sure to post if you hear from your friends I will be praying!

I received this word about Les Cayes today from Christians who went over to help people in Haiti before the earthquake...

We've gotten some news from our team in Haiti. First, Sue's messages on Facebook:

1: We have no way to call. Things in Les Cayes are fine and we are safe. Very little damage here. Slept outside last night because of aftershocks, but we are fine.

2: Please pray for the people of Haiti!!!!

And from Pastor Chuck:

We are really fine. Please don't worry. We are having a great time. Just hoping we can leave on time. Les Cayes did shake a lot, but not too much damage. I preached on hope tonight. Love y'all lots. The team has good spirits. Will call or write when possible.

I got an email from Tom this morning at 5:45. 2 of his boys that were missing have been located safe but Manel is still unaccounted for.

You can learn more at http://www.jesusinhaiti.org They have some pictures of the area they minister in, etc. The video is very touching but I believe was made before the earthquake (haven't had time to watch it all).

[