Menu

Suggestions for a Nice Christmas Breakfast?

Our big family get together will be the day after Christmas this year, but my brother will be coming to have breakfast with us on Christmas Day. It will be a quiet morning, four adults and one child, and we'll later spend the afternoon with close friends at their house. I'd like to think of a nice breakfast to serve that will give us all a good start to the day and also be a bit festive. I can't spend a fortune on this meal, but would like it to be nice because it will be the only time my brother will be with us and our mom.

Any ideas? :bigear:

Thanks!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Guest Virginia Dawn

We are going to have cranberry muffins and crustless quiche.

I just use a regular muffin recipe and add chopped cranberries.

The quiche is a standard. Mix one can of evaporated milk with 6 eggs and a tsp of salt and some pepper, pour over any combination of: sauteed onions, green peppers, chopped ham, crumbled bacon, diced potatoes-sauteed first to soften, plus a cup or so of grated cheese. Use a greased 9X13 glass baking dish. Bake at 350 for 25-30 min. or till set. Cut into squares to serve.

There are no options for our Christmas breakfast. It is always the same and if I changed it, I would be court martialed.

Here too--ours is a breakfast casserole. Grease the dish with butter, cover the bottom with sourdough, cover that with 1 lb. cooked sausage, pour over that 1 dozen eggs mixed with 1 c. milk. Sprinkle with cheddar. You can prepare it the night before and pop it in Christmas morning.

I do think this year I'll also do overnight cinnamon rolls. And maybe hash browns.

Something I do to jazz up the bacon is this:

Preheat oven to 425.

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.

Lay bacon strips on pan, sprinkle all over with brown sugar and cracked black pepper. Bake 14-18 minutes, watching closely to not burn, especially the edges.

This makes really good bacon!

There are no options for our Christmas breakfast. It is always the same and if I changed it, I would be court martialed.

Me too, but it's no extra trouble. I make the rolls for Christmas dinner and I make up extra dough so they have hot rolls out of the oven for breakfast with hot cider. I always use festive disposable paperware too.

Aaaah! I knew the Hive wouldn't let me down. :) We'll be serving breakfast on my mother's beautiful Christmas china, and I can picture any of these choices.

We are doing one of those french toast recipes that you set up at night and pop it in the oven in the morning. We will add some fresh fruit salad, sausage, cinnamon buns, and maybe some scrambled eggs.

I like this menu a LOT! Very tempting with the sweet and savory combination of flavors.

Then there's perhaps this one....

Here too--ours is a breakfast casserole. Grease the dish with butter, cover the bottom with sourdough, cover that with 1 lb. cooked sausage, pour over that 1 dozen eggs mixed with 1 c. milk. Sprinkle with cheddar. You can prepare it the night before and pop it in Christmas morning.

I do think this year I'll also do overnight cinnamon rolls. And maybe hash browns.

Then there's this mouth-watering temptation that has caught my attention as well:

Something I do to jazz up the bacon is this:

Preheat oven to 425.

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.

Lay bacon strips on pan, sprinkle all over with brown sugar and cracked black pepper. Bake 14-18 minutes, watching closely to not burn, especially the edges.

This makes really good bacon!

Now unless someone else throws out another delicious suggestion to confuse me, I just need to narrow down my choices.

Thank you all my WTM friends!

Blessings,

Lucinda

and egg casserole w/ hash browns

a blintze casserole (found recipe online - haven't tried before)

chocolate streusel muffins

fruit salad

I have one kid who won't eat eggs in any shape or form, hence the two casseroles.

Both casseroles can be made the night before, and I was going to mix the muffin batter up and assemble and bake in the morning as well, so everything is fresh but doesn't take much effort. The rest of the day is hors d'oevres at our house.

Homemade cinnamon rolls and a breakfast casserole (eggs, potatoes, cheese, bacon or sausage). I like both of these because they can be made the day before and simply baked that morning, so you're not spending Christmas morning on preparation. Simply prepare the cinnamon rolls all the way up to the final rise (make the dough, let it rise, roll it out, fill it with butter and cinnamon sugar, roll it up, slice into 1.5" segments, place in a greased dish), then put in the fridge overnight instead of setting it to rise for 20-30 minutes. Pull it out of the fridge 1 hour before baking and let it sit somewhere a little bit warm. Then bake as usual. For the breakfast casserole, simply assemble your favorite recipe and refrigerate till you're ready to bake.

The ingredients shouldn't be terribly expensive for either dish, and you can adjust the meat and cheese in the casserole if necessary to match your budget.

We have eggnog french toast and sausage. I prep the french toast the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning.

When we would travel to my grandmother's house many years ago, she'd have a breakfast casserole she'd make. It was bread, sausage, cheese, and eggs, and she'd make it the night before and bake it in the morning.

Here's one that was posted on the old WTM board:

Posted by nancypants on 9:14 Jul 30

Gorilla Bread

1/2 cup granulated sugar

3 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese

2 (12-ounce) cans refrigerated biscuits (10 count)

1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon. In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well; set aside. Cut the cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. Press the biscuits out with your fingers and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar. Place a cube of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit, wrapping and sealing the dough around the cream cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the nuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. Place half of the prepared biscuits in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, pour half of the melted butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of nuts. Layer the remaining biscuits on top, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, pour the remaining butter mixture over the biscuits, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Place a plate on top and invert.

And another:

Posted by anj on 22:27 Aug 1

Baked French Toast

1 loaf Italian bread (OR semolina is great, and so is challah)

8 ounces cream cheese

1/4 cup maple syrup

10 eggs

1 1/2 cups half and half

8 Tablespoons melted butter

1 Tablespoon vanilla

cinnamon (and nutmeg if you like) to sprinkle on top

1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Cut bread into cubes and layer half in a buttered 13x9 inch pan. Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and scatter it across the bread. Cover with remaining cubes of bread. Mix eggs, half and half, vanilla, and syrup together. If you are adding nuts and/or raisins, sprinkle them on top of the bread cubes. Pour the liquid mixture over the bread cubes. Press down the bread cubes so that they absorb the mixture. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon to taste. You can add a bit of nutmeg as well, if you like.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

And of course Quiver's rolls, also from the old WTM board:

Posted by Quiver0f10 on 15:28 Dec 22

In Reply to: Could one of you ladies please share the best cinnamon roll recipe (with icing, of course) you can have? :) tia posted by Pster

I got it off the internet somewhere, but I don't remember where. these are fantastic!

Dough:

1 T. Dry Yeast

1 Cup warm milk

1/3 C. white sugar

1/2 C. melted butter

1 tsp. salt

2 eggs

4 C. flour

Dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Knead into a ball. Let rise until double in size. When ready, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Spread with filling.

Filling:

1/4 C. butter, softened

1 C. brown sugar

3 T. cinnamon

Spread butter on dough evenly. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over dough evenly. Roll dough up. Slice roll into 1 inch slices. Place on a greased pan. Let rise again until doubled. bake 10 min. at 400 degrees.

Icing:

1/2 C. butter, softened

1 1/2 C. powdered sugar

1 oz. cream cheese

2 T. whipping cream

1 tsp. vanilla extract

pinch of salt

Beat until fluffy. When rolls are hot, spread lots of icing on them.

To make these the night before needed, skip the final rising step. Let rise overnight in the fridge. In the morning, bake!

To make slicing easier, I use dental floss. Just slip it under, criss cross and pull and you have nice, even slices.

Enjoy!

Jean

So many wonderful ideas -- how am I ever going to choose? Actually part of the added confusion is that my dear elderly mother lives with us, and we are making breakfast together. So its not just me making the final decision -- but I was hoping to get suggestions by starting this thread.

I just read all the ideas to Mom and am not sure we'll ever be able to narrow it down. We just may have to have a buffet! Come on over, Rough Collie!

Blessings,

Lucinda

And of course Quiver's rolls, also from the old WTM board:

Posted by Quiver0f10 on 15:28 Dec 22

In Reply to: Could one of you ladies please share the best cinnamon roll recipe (with icing, of course) you can have? :) tia posted by Pster

I got it off the internet somewhere, but I don't remember where. these are fantastic!

Dough:

1 T. Dry Yeast

1 Cup warm milk

1/3 C. white sugar

1/2 C. melted butter

1 tsp. salt

2 eggs

4 C. flour

Dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Knead into a ball. Let rise until double in size. When ready, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Spread with filling.

Filling:

1/4 C. butter, softened

1 C. brown sugar

3 T. cinnamon

Spread butter on dough evenly. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over dough evenly. Roll dough up. Slice roll into 1 inch slices. Place on a greased pan. Let rise again until doubled. bake 10 min. at 400 degrees.

Icing:

1/2 C. butter, softened

1 1/2 C. powdered sugar

1 oz. cream cheese

2 T. whipping cream

1 tsp. vanilla extract

pinch of salt

Beat until fluffy. When rolls are hot, spread lots of icing on them.

To make these the night before needed, skip the final rising step. Let rise overnight in the fridge. In the morning, bake!

To make slicing easier, I use dental floss. Just slip it under, criss cross and pull and you have nice, even slices.

Enjoy!

Jean

This looks fabulous! I'm going to do this one for sure.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Everything is better with gravy.

But I'm betting she's intending it for the biscuits.

My husband calls gravy his favorite beverage. Biggggg gravy fans here.

Wait, like a beef or chicken gravy on the biscuits for breakfast, I have never heard of this:001_huh:

Wait, like a beef or chicken gravy on the biscuits for breakfast, I have never heard of this:001_huh:

Absolutely. Beef gravy on biscuits is excellent. But a sausage gravy or white gravy is much more common and probably what the OP meant.

I'm craving a "boot" now. Our favorite breakfast restaurant offers a biscuit with gravy smothered in hashbrowns, smothered in sauted peppers and onions, smothered in cheese, smothered in bacon, with a runny fried egg on top. I have no idea why it's called a "boot", but YUM!

Here's what my mother and I plan to serve on Christmas morning when my brother comes over. We finally made up our minds, split the menu and each are in charge of certain dishes. She insisted on the shrimp crepes and I insisted on the cinnamon rolls and ham.

• Spiral Ham
  • Shrimp Stuffed Crepes & Light Cheese Sauce
  • Scrambled eggs
  • Hashbrowns
  • Fresh Fruit Salad
  • Quiver's Cinnamon Rolls

Thanks for all the really great ideas!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I love the Cinnabon Copy cat recipe, I have tried Quiver's before and my family prefers the cinnabon, I had been making them years before that, I think it's the pudding that makes the difference.

For the breadmaker:

Ingredients:

***DOUGH***

1/4 cup warm water

1 cup milk -- room temperature

1 large egg -- beaten

1/4 cup butter -- softened

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cups all purpose white flour

1/2 package instant vanilla pudding mix

1 tablespoon bread machine yeast

***FILLING***

1 cup brown sugar -- packed

1 tablespoon cinnamon

***CREAM CHEESE CINNAMON FROSTING***

4 ounces cream cheese -- softened

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 tablespoon milk

1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Dough Add the dough ingredients, in the order listed, to the bread machine and prepare using the dough setting. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to an 18" by 30" rectangle. The dough can also be handmade. If you use regular yeast, you may want to let the rolls proof for 15-30 minutes after assembly.

Filling: In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread the softened butter over the dough and evenly sprinkle on the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Starting at the long edge of the dough, roll up tightly. Mark the roll every 2 inches. With a thread cut the roll by placing the thread under the roll at your mark, crisscross over and pull to cut. Place rolls into greased 8" or 9" baking pans 2" apart. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place until almost double, approximately 1 hour. After rising, rolls should be touching each other and the sides of the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Cream Cheese Cinnamon Frosting: In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, butter, vanilla and milk. Add powdered sugar and cinnamon and mix until smooth. Spread on warm rolls and serve immediately.

Sausage Hashbrown Casserole

Ingredients:

•1 to 2 pounds hot or mild sausage

•2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

•1 can (10 3/4 oz.) cream of chicken soup

•1 cup sour cream

•1 (8-oz) container of French onion dip

•1 large onion, chopped

•1/4 cup green bell pepper

•1/4 cup red bell pepper

•salt and pepper to taste

•1 (30 oz.) package shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed

Preparation:

In a heavy skillet cook the sausage until browned, breaking up as you stir and cook. Drain off excess grease. In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, French onion dip, chopped onion, chopped bell peppers, salt and pepper. Fold in thawed hash brown potatoes. Mix well.

Spread half of the hash brown mixture over bottom of a greased 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish. Spread half of the browned sausage over hash browns. Repeat layering second 1/2 of has brown mixture. Top with remaining sausage. Bake at 350° for about 1 hour, until casserole is hot and golden brown.

Serves 8 to 12.

I follow this recipe except I go ahead and mix the sausage into the hashbrown mixture and spread all into pan.

(Easy peasy. Just add a handful of chocolate chips to your batter and cook as usual)

Fruit salad with a little Cointreau sprinkled on it. For best results, use no bananas. Use 3 kinds of melon, and add strawberry halves or blueberries just before serving.

Great coffee--do you have an expresso machine?

Quiver's Cinnamon Rolls. Have been making them since the first time Quiver posted the recipe. God bless Quiver!