Menu

Have you gotten one yet?

I also love getting letters. I am so disappointed when I open a Christmas card just to find a signature...what a waste of a stamp! But when there is a photo and/or a letter...I love it.

Yes, we have a few friends whose letters always make us laugh...or groan a little...or something. It's just that they act as though we are all a part of this huge competition for having the best kid...and theirs is the winner. You know, like little "Julie is in the gifted program again, working up two grade levels, is first chair violin, won the state track meet, serves in the soup kitchen each week, is the top student in her Chinese class", etc. What I love is to hear a bit about the kids: "Julie works hard in school and loves learning new things. She is still playing the violin and running track, and decided to add in Chinese this year. She is such a sweet girl and loves to make new friends with everyone she meets. We love her sense of humor and appreciate her happy attitude."

Maybe it's just me...but those kind of letters are fun to read & I love them. I also enjoy the kind that tell about funny things that happened over the year or funny things the kids say.

We have one or two friends who send letters like this, and I love to receive them each year. These are friends who live a good distance from us, and we don't see them often at all.

What a blessing it must be to have so many people sending Christmas cards to you. You must be getting cards from people that aren't even your friends if reading their letters can actually make you sick.

As someone else posted' date=' sometimes no matter how happy you are for them (as they ARE your friends), you still feel like a loser inside because their life seems so perfect. I have come to realize that how I feel is based pretty much on how things are going in my life (which is far from perfect). We've had a very-very rough time for several years now, and I have felt the mounting pressure of the various situations very strongly and its' effect on me. Though I am always happy for the blessings in my friends' lives, sometimes I have to work at rejoicing with them - Sorry . . .

I guess I am fortunate that I am happy for each card I get, each letter someone took the time to write, and I'm not picky about whether it has my name at the top. I'm happy they thought of our family at all. And I'm happy they had a good year, and that they love their children, and each other. At least enough to say nice things about each other at Christmas.

:iagree:

Too bad that tidings of good cheer at Christmas can make some people sick.

It might be "poor manners" to send a mass letter, but manners were never meant to give people ammunition to be ugly to each other. I am sure if the people who are sending these letters knew you were personally offended by their grammar or because they did not write a letter specifically to you they would not send it. Maybe if you tell them they are making you sick they will take you off their list next year. Save them a stamp.

Again, :iagree: But again, maybe the receiver of the letter is going through some hard stuff and just isn't feeling the way she would normally feel. That last line may sound like caspar milquetoast - but truly we just don't know what some people are experiencing in their lives - we aren't walking in their shoes - and while we would all like to have the proper responses and feelings all the time - we just don't . . .

I'm going to go read some of the Christmas letters I got this year so I can wipe off the ugly feeling I get hearing people make fun of their supposed friends.

I, too, re-read ALL of our Christmas letters several times and keep them for a year before discarding. Someone posted that she keeps all the letters in a binder as history - wish I had thought of that long years ago when we first started receiving the letters!

grace'smom - I surely don't mean this response to sound mean in any way . . . I guess I'm just trying to say that sometimes a little slack goes a long way when we don't know what another person is going through. Difficult situations, while helping us grow in positive ways, can also make us vulnerable where and when we least expect it . . .

Merry Christmas! And God's finest blessings to you and yours!:)

I love to get Christmas letters. It's because of threads like these that I don't send them anymore.

I think that's sad that you don't send Christmas letters anymore . . . I wonder if there are friends of yours who are looking forward to that letter and wondering why it no longer comes . . .

When we miss a letter from someone - we really miss it! We begin wondering all sorts of things - if they are okay, if they are even still alive as some are much older - and I always send a letter after the new year to *check* on them. While this is a great board with really fantastic people on it, I wouldn't let a thread posted by folks that you probably don't know in real life stop you from doing something you enjoy . . . Just my two cents . . .:001_smile:

I received a beautiful letter from another homeschool family - it talked about how the youngest child asked Jesus into her life, the middle son was baptized, the husband lost some of his income due to the economy but they didn't lose hope and God has provided for them. It was precious, really.

One year, though, we got one from friends out of state and it was talking about all their cruises and vacations, how they had bought a 3rd (or4th?) house in some tropical place, how their son had graduated from Princeton and was getting married to a doctor...on and on and on. It was like "perfect" life. I thought I might puke after reading it. It was jealousy, I am sure! LOL But still...

I think that's sad that you don't send Christmas letters anymore . . . I wonder if there are friends of yours who are looking forward to that letter and wondering why it no longer comes . . .

When we miss a letter from someone - we really miss it! We begin wondering all sorts of things - if they are okay, if they are even still alive as some are much older - and I always send a letter after the new year to *check* on them. While this is a great board with really fantastic people on it, I wouldn't let a thread posted by folks that you probably don't know in real life stop you from doing something you enjoy . . . Just my two cents . . .:001_smile:

:iagree:

I always get one that is written in third person and it's like a newspaper. It is soooo weird.

The blank couple traveled over the globe this year. The blank couple are expecting their first baby. The blank couple's wife lost 45lbs this year.

Theirs is the ONLY newsletter I get like that and yes, it makes me feel like their life is perfect. (eyes rolling).

Most of the ones we have gotten are like this!

My favorite, though, is the one that has a brief blurb about each family member, then spends half a page either ranting about the president (when he was Republican) or a president and government love-fest (last year and this year). It's really quite comical, the crazy inappropriateness of it, I mean. :tongue_smilie:

I think you'd ALL love ours... I did a brief recap of the year for those who are not online (those who are online don't get one of these unless they ask!) and I share interesting things, with very little bragging... simple, brief blurbs on us.

Then I had each of the young boys write a "tall tale" to share and they were funny. One boy, instead of a tall tale, has a column where I listed out hilarious statements he made on how he sees things...

Then, (the part that you would all love!) I included my rendition of 12 Days of Christmas, which keeps my life very real and no one would be envious!!! Here it is, once more:

On the twelfth day of Christmas my mother said to me, "Get yourself back in here!" "Get that look off your face." "Keep your feet off the couch." "Stay off the fence." "Pick up that laundry!" "Brush your teeth AGAIN." "Stay out of the bushes." "DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD!" "Don't hit your brother." "Look in the mirror." "Sit down on the chair." and "Follow the directions in your book!"

Merry Christmas!

(sadly realizes that no one has sent one of these to her this year... and so far we've only received 4 cards and 2 of those were from businesses...)

I hope that if these letters really make you feel sick, or punched in the stomach, or like a loser, or any of those things, that you'll at least try to see things differently.

People are trying to keep in touch the best they can. Friendship, family, and community are MESSY. People are not perfect and no one can write a letter -- mass-produced or handwritten -- that is guaranteed to offend no one.

We get tons of these every year and I look forward to them. I make a cup of coffee, sit down with the blanket and that day's pile of letters and enjoy them. My kids do, too. Then I hang the photos on my door and friends enjoy them for a few months.

I'll take a little bragging, or too much info about grandpa's death, or a photo of you in your bikini on your 5th trip to Hawaii in as many years over the empty mailbox. A little contact is better than none in this busy day and age.

I'll take the messy friendships, family, and community -- warts and all! Go ahead and fill my mailbox with your letters!

As someone else posted, sometimes no matter how happy you are for them (as they ARE your friends), you still feel like a loser inside because their life seems so perfect. I have come to realize that how I feel is based pretty much on how things are going in my life (which is far from perfect). We've had a very-very rough time for several years now, and I have felt the mounting pressure of the various situations very strongly and its' effect on me. Though I am always happy for the blessings in my friends' lives, sometimes I have to work at rejoicing with them - Sorry . . .

Eaglei really sums it up well. This pretty much describes my sentiments.

I shared my thoughts on another thread, but just wanted to say here that I've noticed a trend... they're getting *longer*! We've gotten lots of multi-pagers this year. And very few that are truly personally directed to us.

Funny, though, in their own, unintentional way;)

You know, one of those letters tucked into a Christmas card where the impressive accomplishments of all family members are listed, how everyone is beautiful, successful, healthy and had only good thoughts all year?

I just got one. Why does it always feel like a punch in the stomach??? :glare:

Remember that, like most blogs, it is an announcement of the life they would like to have or think that they have, not necessarily reality. We have friends that we know well IRL who send one, and it is very blatant in the stretching of the truth. It helps me to remember that most Christmas letters are like that. Few put in the Christmas letter that dd ran away, mom and dad didn't speak for a few weeks in May, and the bank is calling to threaten to repo the car, but such things are likely happening along with sister winning the gymnastics trophy, dad getting a big promotion, and brother becoming a black belt.

A PP said that life is messy, and that (runaway, fight, repo, etc.) is the messy that we need to let others see, not the glossy news in the Christmas letter. I prefer fewer people better, rather than more people more quickly for our holiday communication. That way we can ask about their messy life and share our love.

Edited by angela in ohio

Guest janainaz

I really dislike the brag-fest, barforama letters like that. Loddy-doddy dah! No one's life is perfect and it would do far more good for the hearts that read those letters to be real. It's ok to still love your imperfect life and your imperfect family!

Well, now, I don't know...(said in my best, slow and folksy way...)

For a few years, we didn't send any out. Our lives were so bad, we felt it would be a downer to read how our son was a drug-addicted, alcoholic runaway, my brother was dead from cancer after an unsuccessful marrow transplant, our assistant at church was running families off, etc. etc. I suppose we could have let it all hang out or we could have completely glossed it over.

We just decided to remain silent.

Now we can send out a joy-filled letter full of the good things God has done in our kids' lives, our parish family, etc., but we are choosing not to. Those who know us, know what we went thru and what has happened. Those who are merely acquaintances or old friends we no longer speak to haven't really bothered to ask.

Guess we just learned who our real friends were, and, while we wish no one ill will, we choose to focus our energy on those we have as friends irl. I wish my other brother and I were closer, but any letter mentioning what God has done for us will offend him, and we can't really say all that has happened without doing that, so I guess we're just going to forgoe the letter again.

I have been genuinely taken aback for several years now at the negativity many people feel toward Christmas letters. A recent, similar thread on the WTM boards about the same subject became positively venomous. Many, many people feel one of two ways: 1) if you can't bother to send me a personal hand-written note, don't bother! -or- 2) if you can't bother to pick up the phone and call me (or see me in person), don't bother telling me your news in a Christmas letter.

Because of the thread a few weeks ago, and because of similar threads in recent years, I came quite close to stopping our Christmas letter this year. I was cringing, wondering which of our past recipients have been disgusted/offended/bored at our letters. :confused: It is a truly sad and chilling thought.

I discussed the issue with DH, and we somehow decided to go forward with our tradition. I do acknowledge that the letter would be hand-written and personalized in a perfect world, and I am slightly embarrassed that I cannot seem to make the necessary time to do that. Then again, we send out 60 of these things. Even doing the mass-produced version takes several hours, minimum, to write. (Don't worry; it's just one page, but I put a lot of effort into it.) By the time those envelopes leave our house, we have actually invested quite a bit of time and money in our communication. I know we send them off with genuine love and caring.

We realized this year that we cannot control the response of those who receive our letters. All we can do is put a lot of thought into the letter, and make it as respresentative of our year (without lingering on too much unpleasantness) as possible.

Continuing to send these letters is a bit of an act of faith, especially now that I know how polarizing these Christmas letter really are. But I hope that many people will enjoy hearing from us and getting our updates, and will take the communication (imperfect though it is) in the spirit with which we intended it.

The irony is that I actually prefer getting a Christmas newsletter than not. Different strokes, I guess. In all our married years (over 20 years now), there has been only one Christmas letter that I remember as being obnoxiously braggy. It came from a couple who had recently come into a great deal of money and talked about the "mansion" (and other items of conspicuous consumption) they had purchased. It was truly a bit over the top.

But that leaves the other several hundred letters we have received that we have genuinely enjoyed and treasured. I am happy to hear about the successes and triumphs of our friends and extended family members. The tragedies in life will come around soon enough, unfortunately. :(

Those are my musings on the subject for today. It truly is a fascinating topic to me, because until these posts I just had no *idea* how polarizing a subject this really is!

:iagree::iagree: I LOVE Christmas Letters in general and am just so sad to hear how many people don't like them. I don't get that at all. I used to love reading them when I was a teenager and couldn't wait till I was grown up and could share about my own family. I have written a letter every year for 25 years. I don't lie in it. I tell the truth about our family with general updates for those who don't see us too often. I share some sadness too, but not too detailed because that's how most people are in real life. You don't always air your dirty laundry in public. What's wrong with that? I'm not trying to decieve people and the existance of some bad news in our lives that we don't share doesn't make the news we do share untrue. I try not to sound "braggie" or pretentious in my letter. I don't think it comes across that way I really haven't ever read a Christmas letter that I thought sounded that way - and I get dozens.

I LOVE reading the Christmas letters that my family and friends send out each year. I am so happy to hear about their children's activites and the ways God has blessed them over the past year. I can't imagine someone else's success or good news making me feel bad about myself or jealous - a punch in the stomach?? How?? I just, to be completely honest, don't get the negativity about Christmas letters AT ALL.

I don't feel negative about Christmas letters...they don't make me feel bad about my life, or want what I don't have, but I've never really understood them (I also don't understand Christmas cards). I don't really know many people that do them. The one thing I do mind is that my in-laws write a Christmas letter every year that includes what my family does during the year. I like to protect our privacy, so this really bothers me. Christmas letters in general don't, though.

I hope that if these letters really make you feel sick, or punched in the stomach, or like a loser, or any of those things, that you'll at least try to see things differently.

People are trying to keep in touch the best they can. Friendship, family, and community are MESSY. People are not perfect and no one can write a letter -- mass-produced or handwritten -- that is guaranteed to offend no one.

We get tons of these every year and I look forward to them. I make a cup of coffee, sit down with the blanket and that day's pile of letters and enjoy them. My kids do, too. Then I hang the photos on my door and friends enjoy them for a few months.

I'll take a little bragging, or too much info about grandpa's death, or a photo of you in your bikini on your 5th trip to Hawaii in as many years over the empty mailbox. A little contact is better than none in this busy day and age.

I'll take the messy friendships, family, and community -- warts and all! Go ahead and fill my mailbox with your letters!

I like you!:D

I have a dilemma. I have sent Christmas letters out for a number of years--we have a lot of old college friends that this is the only contact we have. I like getting them from people and I always save them for a year and reread them before pitching them the next. I try to pray for each family as I reread them. So, now this year. It's a been a year of amazing highs and lows and the Lord has seen us through it all. How do I say that my oldest was engaged to a wonderful man this spring, whom we all adored, only to drown on my dd's birthday a few months later? I don't want to make the letter an obituary, nor ignore all the rest of the family's news.

That is a tough one, huh? My sister-in-law was murdered in November of 2003. I sat down to write my Christmas letter and had no idea how to write. She was my best friend and my heart was broken. Without going into detail, I wrote that I almost didn't write a letter that year. I then explained how bad my heart felt, very simply. Then I said something about how Christmas letters were something we shared and for HER I would write about my family and be happy. She would have wanted that and I did it to honor her. It is so hard to know exactly what to write, but I think if you keep it simple - just go from your heart. Blessings to you.

I like the idea of a Christmas letter, but they seem a bit like blogs to me...I like them when other people do them, but if I ever try, I just feel, why on earth would anyone be interested? It also irks me when people only write the cheery stuff, but it can change. My dad has cancer and his Christmas letter this year was more real than previous years. I did actually groan and twist inside when I saw it arrive in my inbox...not yet another self congratulatory Christmas letter that they directly ask me to print out and put on my mantlepiece along with the ecard they send with it. I mean, if they don't want to pay the postage, please dont ask me to use up my precious ink! At least it wasn't a picture of dad and his wife this year, but a pretty photo dad took of a moonrise and sunset. But...the letter this year was saying how much they realise they need to do what they want to do now and not put it off till later, so it at least touched upon how dad's cancer has affected their lives. Still, its one tiny step forward and I am looking for a reason not to get annoyed with it.

Remember that, like most blogs, it is an announcement of the life they would like to have or think that they have, not necessarily reality.

I have always considered them to be the highlights from the family's year. I don't write a family letter, but I can't imagine someone sitting down at the end of the year and rehashing all the bad stuff that happened.

They are being positive, remembering their blessings and sharing the good parts. I just can't find that offensive.

Guest janainaz
I have always considered them to be the highlights from the family's year. I don't write a family letter, but I can't imagine someone sitting down at the end of the year and rehashing all the bad stuff that happened.

They are being positive, remembering their blessings and sharing the good parts. I just can't find that offensive.

I think there is a balance in there. If I were to send out a family letter, I would consider the audience. I know many struggling families (marriage, finances, kid problems, jobs, you name it) and I would not necessarily air all of my own dirty laundry, not the details of it all, but I WOULD highlight the highs and lows of life, not JUST the highs. I do like getting Christmas letters, but when I receive one from someone I have not talked to much or seen much and it's all glorious bliss, it annoys me. I'd rather just be dropped from their list. However, I have received some really great letters in the past and it always reminds me of why I love the people that send them - because they are real.

I have a dilemma. I have sent Christmas letters out for a number of years--we have a lot of old college friends that this is the only contact we have. I like getting them from people and I always save them for a year and reread them before pitching them the next. I try to pray for each family as I reread them. So, now this year. It's a been a year of amazing highs and lows and the Lord has seen us through it all. How do I say that my oldest was engaged to a wonderful man this spring, whom we all adored, only to drown on my dd's birthday a few months later? I don't want to make the letter an obituary, nor ignore all the rest of the family's news.

First of all, :grouphug:. I'm a little unclear if you've said here that your dd passed away this year or your dd's fiance. Either way, I can't even imagine the heartache you've been through...and I'm sure this time of year is especially hard for you right now.

If you have friends who may not have heard this news, I'm sure they would want to know. I'd suggest sharing a small amount of your lows and sharing how the Lord has seen you through. Then perhaps focusing on the rest of the family's news...or sharing a bit of how you've adjusted to this and how things are going now.

I received a card this past week informing me of the passing of a sweet grandpa type of friend of mine this past June. I was so saddened to hear of this--but his wife shared a little bit about his illness and focused on her faith in the Lord and how she knows she will see him again. She then talked about how she has been adjusting to life without him. I had worked with them doing missionary work about fifteen years ago--we have shared Christmas cards since then with an occasional visit/phone call...but there was no other way I would have heard of his passing. So yes, it was a little shocking to read...and of course, I cried when I read the letter...but I'm so glad she sent something out rather than not doing anything at all.

So it might be a difficult letter for you to write...and difficult for your friends to read...but I'd kindly suggest they'd like to know of your loss and have the chance to offer support/love to you.

Best wishes...

I think you'd ALL love ours... I did a brief recap of the year for those who are not online (those who are online don't get one of these unless they ask!) and I share interesting things, with very little bragging... simple, brief blurbs on us.

Then I had each of the young boys write a "tall tale" to share and they were funny. One boy, instead of a tall tale, has a column where I listed out hilarious statements he made on how he sees things...

Then, (the part that you would all love!) I included my rendition of 12 Days of Christmas, which keeps my life very real and no one would be envious!!! Here it is, once more:

On the twelfth day of Christmas my mother said to me, "Get yourself back in here!" "Get that look off your face." "Keep your feet off the couch." "Stay off the fence." "Pick up that laundry!" "Brush your teeth AGAIN." "Stay out of the bushes." "DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD!" "Don't hit your brother." "Look in the mirror." "Sit down on the chair." and "Follow the directions in your book!"

Merry Christmas!

(sadly realizes that no one has sent one of these to her this year... and so far we've only received 4 cards and 2 of those were from businesses...)

That is very cute!

Reading these threads I have found that holiday letter recipients are/may be offended by the following:

-too much information

-too little information

-too much happy/positive information

-too much negative/personal information

-humorous letters

-serious letters

-letters that are too 'Jesus-y'

-letters that aren't 'Jesus-y' enough

-letters from old friends

-letters from current friends

Good luck, letter writers. It's a tough world out there...

Reading these threads I have found that holiday letter recipients are/may be offended by the following:

-too much information

-too little information

-humorous letters

-serious letters

This has me laughing hysterically! The WTM board is not a place to go if you want to hear a lot of :iagree:.

I'm with you, msjones!

I love Christmas letters!

We send to over 100 and try to make them interesting/entertaining and not bragging. I also write a personal note on each one.

We've lived in several states and I love keeping in contact with people however we can.

You have a challenge here and my heart breaks for you right now. I have your family in my prayers.

In your situation, have you considered forgoing the Christmas letter, when most are upbeat, positive recaps of the past year, and opt for a New Year letter? You can explain how your family is looking forward to a new year, a fresh start, and hope friends and family continue to pray for you or think of you as you move forward. I'd also start the individual news breakdown with the youngest child, which is very untraditional, finishing with your dd (if she's the oldest) by mentioning that she's still grieving the loss of her fiance, but tell of how strong she is. Most everyone who knows you well will know of your family's loss, and those who are surprised will either ask or wonder. It's not exactly an upbeat retelling, but can still be a nice recap of your last year and finishing off with a hopeful perspective on the upcoming year.

I pray this upcoming year finds your family blessed in many ways. :grouphug:

-too much information

-too little information

-humorous letters

-serious letters

I don't have a problem with any of the above, as long as it's something written directly to me and my family. I don't want to feel like I'm just another name on someone's mailing list. That's my main problem with newsletters.

I don't have a problem with any of the above, as long as it's something written directly to me and my family. I don't want to feel like I'm just another name on someone's mailing list. That's my main problem with newsletters.

Ah...but there are those who are bothered by a personal note.

I just heard a woman say the other day that a personal, handwritten note makes her feel pressured to reciprocate with a personal, handwritten note.

You're ****ed if you do, and ****ed if you don't. ;)

I am in a similar position. I usually send out a Christmas letter to far flung friends and family. I try to keep it humble and funny - joy in accomplishments and humility at how perfectly human we are. This year is different. I don't want to fall off people's Christmas list, but I just don't have the energy to write a letter or even do cards. With my mom's passing still so raw, our lives are in just chaos. I feel like I am going through the motions of preparing for Christmas, but can't really find the joy.