Menu

Campers, how many miles a day on a long trip do you make with elementary aged kids?

LOL, I thought you meant walking to backcountry campsites :D

I won't drive more than 6h/day and it has as much to do with me as with the kids. They can probably handle it now - I can't. I get awful headaches. I hate long distance trips, even when I'm the driver; passenger - you can forget about altogether....

My dh has a hankering to go to Yellowstone & the Grand Canyon & Dinosaur Provincial Park & the only way I'll agree to any of these trips is if we FLY there and rent a car. Then he works out how much that will cost & we decide we'd rather put that $ away for a trip to Mexico or Europe.....:lol:

LOL! That's what I thought, too.

We generally drive 8 hour days with a 30 minute lunch stop and 10 minute breaks every 2 hours. Dh and I alternate driving. I could drive longer, but this is dh's limit. :001_smile:

I won't drive more than 6h/day and it has as much to do with me as with the kids. They can probably handle it now - I can't. I get awful headaches. I hate long distance trips, even when I'm the driver; passenger - you can forget about altogether....

My dh has a hankering to go to Yellowstone & the Grand Canyon & Dinosaur Provincial Park & the only way I'll agree to any of these trips is if we FLY there and rent a car. Then he works out how much that will cost & we decide we'd rather put that $ away for a trip to Mexico or Europe.....:lol:

oooo Dinosaur Park, where is that?!

Well, my parents did 24 hr straight drives from when I was 6 and my sis was 2, with rest/gas stops every 4hrs. (They moderated when they hit their 40s - breaking it into 18hrs and 6hrs. :tongue_smilie:) I've done 18 hrs straight with an 18mo by driving overnight. On our recent cross-country move, with a 3yo and 10mo, I think we did about 500 miles/day. We stopped for an hour lunch, and took rest stops as needed; I think we left around 7:30-8am, lunch ~12, and stopped for the night around 5ish. We could have made much better time if we drove overnight, but I was outvoted ;).

The trip to Grand Canyon from here is about 1600 miles. I'm thinking a 6 hour driving day is enough. That's approx. 450 miles. WDYD?

We just drove to Florida over Thanksgiving week and did about 7 hours a day. We made stops a long the way to sleep and did some sight seeing. We brought a lot of books on tape, Madlibs, toys, and a portable DVD player. The DVD player came out when we hit traffic or just needed to go a bit longer.

The Grand Canyon sounds like a fun trip!!

we drive straight thru alternating between me and dh. never kept track of how many miles per day. did stop for meals and breaks.

however, all 5 of mine [3yo, 5yo, 8yo, 12yo, and 15yo] hiked 7 miles in one day this past october: 2.5 miles up the second half of Emory Peak [in Big Bend], back down that 2.5 miles to camp, then another 2 miles back to base camp.

with packs. :D

Assuming a dvd player in the car, audiobooks on the iPod, and plenty of snacks and drinks, we can do 8-10 hours per day with potty/run-around breaks plus a long mid-day break for lunch.

We drive from Miami to Canada with our trailer every year. We drive to Orlando and take the auto train that afternoon. We're in Washington DC early the next morning. One day to Massachusetts, one day to Maine, take the ferry to Yarmouth, NS in the morning and we're in the cottage that afternoon.

Really, the important thing is to be sure the kids have something to do that they like. They need enough snacks and drinks, and they need to get out of the car and run around every couple of hours. Be sure they have a blankie and small pillow so they can lean back and nap if they like. (Mine never does, but one can hope.)

We love road trips! Enjoy yours.

Dd and I drove across the country when she was 2. We did that in 2 1/2 days.

When dd was 7 we drove from eastern Montana to northwestern Maine in 3 1/2 days (that was a long trip). Then six months later we had to do northwestern Maine to south Georgia in 2 1/2 days - but we got stuck in D.C traffic, and stopped for a few hours at a friends house in VA.

So on average I think we can do up to 14 hours with stops for potty and food. I'd rather do sunup to sundown instead of having to drive past dusk.

Dd has always been good in the car, and a good traveler. She fills up the back seat with stuff to keep herself entertained. If dh and I can't get it in the trunk it doesn't go.

Edited by Parrothead

The trip to Grand Canyon from here is about 1600 miles. I'm thinking a 6 hour driving day is enough. That's approx. 450 miles. WDYD?

Just driving in a vehicle, 8-10 hours with four kiddos is manageable. Towing the camper we have to reduce it to about 6, maybe push it to 7 but only if we must. Towing is harder on us, and I'm not completely comfortable driving with the trailer. Therefore most of the driving falls on dh, unless we're traveling rural interstates with very few obstacles, lol.

When it comes right down to it, when we go camping the journey is the TRIP, not merely the destination.

Oh my goodness! You guys are amazing!!

Sydney is 10 hours from us and that is the absolute furtherest I'd want to drive. DH keeps making noises about driving up to Queensland with the boat and I am NOT interested... going that far is what aircraft are for!!

We do do road trips but they always involve not too much driving in a day. Maybe 1 or 2 long days max and lots of sightseeing.

We generally drive 8 hour days with a 30 minute lunch stop and 10 minute breaks every 2 hours.

When I took the kids alone on a road trip earlier this year, I found that this schedule worked well for me. The frequent breaks were the key to keeping my sanity.

I also found that when I'd been driving all day and the sun set, it felt to me like the world was ending. I absolutely hated driving past dark when I'd already been driving all day.

I drove alone with 4 kids (6 months to 7 ish) from Sioux Falls to Billings, which is about 750 miles. I did it all in one 14 hour day. It was fine. We listened to stories on tape/cd, stopped when I had to nurse, and to eat supper (we packed our lunch with us). Of course, in this situation, the only thing to say is: Your Mileage May Vary!! :D When we drive to Albuquerque, it's 18 hours, and that's a lot, but we have done it in one super-exhausting day. I don't recommend it to others. :) Have a great trip!

Yes, I routinely drive 500 miles from northern VA to Ohio by myself with 7 kids ages 12 down to 10 months. In fact, we're driving back to VA tomorrow. That takes us about 8 hours. We stop for lunch and for 1 break in the afternoon, and we get in before dinner. When my husband is with us, we can drive around 700 miles a day, but only for 3 days in a row. That puts us in after dinner, however, and I find that driving after dinner with little kids is when they can really fall apart (after a full day of driving, of course, LOL). So my preference is about 500 miles and getting there before dinner.

When I was a kid my dad would drive about 10 hours a day, but we had great vacations because we saw a lot of stuff.

My dh and I have done up to 15 hours in one day, but that is our max, he started seeing elephants in the road so he stopped. The mountains of Arkansas do not have wild elephants. :001_huh: We average 7-9 a day now depending on how far we're going.

When the kids were little we routinely drove from New England to Ohio, a 16hr drive. We found that if we woke early, 4am ish, the kids would sleep until 8'ish and then we'd stop for breakfast and let them run-around. Daylight hours were passed with the kids listening to books on tapes. Since we only made the trip in the spring and summer we would arrive just as the sun was setting. Always a single day trip. Going back home was usually a bit rougher however the kids were usually exhausted from the visit.

Carole

I would say a 9 hour day is about enough although if you leave really early in the morning and can switch drivers then i would consider a longer time say 12 hours, maybe a little more.

I have regularly driven my kiddos by myself for 9 hours with only very short pit stops but that is enough for me all by myself.

Honestly, I think it just totally depends on you and your kids. I personally get really tired and spacey after about 3 hours:) DH can drive for EVER. Pre-kids, we did 16 hours trips in one shot (just driving, no campers). Now, between AL and CT which is our usual family-visiting route, we stop once, going 8-11 hours in a day, depending on where we stop.

Our two older kids have always been awesome travelers. When older DS was about 5 month old, we had a nightmare of a trip that ended up lasting 24 hours. He was AWESOME. They just play, sleep, look out the window. No complaints ever. But the youngest guy... well, his tolerance is approx. 1 hour. If I had a whole car full of HIM... well, let's just say that those 10 drives would be FAR LESS THAN IDEAL. The 6 hour day would sound a whole lot better!!!

So, just think about the driving tolerance of YOUR drivers and the riding tolerance of YOUR kids:)

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in May. We have 3-4 weeks for this trip, so we are taking it easy. We are planning on driving about 3-4 hours a day, stopping to camp and enjoy the area. We drive to Florida and 6-7 hours is about all we can handle, especially if we had to do it again the next day. The kids travel well, but I can't imagine being in a car for days at a time:)

Driving in a "regular car" is much easier, and faster than towing a trailer or driving an RV.

When we travel without an Rv we can go 8-10 hours easily. When we are driving our RV (used to pull a 5th wheel) it's waaaay more tiring to drive, so we only do 8 hours MAX. Both dh and I take turns driving, but it's still more difficult since the RV is harder to drive. After 8 hours in the RV both DH and I are exhausted.

We just did a quick 24 hour trip. 4 hours each way except for the little blizzard thing that had cars off of the highway. It is much easier to drive first thing in the morning. I can do a 7 to 10 hour day starting early. But coming home tonight in the dark and the snain 4 hours was plenty!

We can handle 10 here. I have driven that alone multiple times with 6-7 dc and two dogs. My dh can do about 10 hours pulling a trailer as well. We might be able to do more, but we haven't ever had to drive more than that.

Will you be camping each night of the driving part? Tent camping or an RV? The reason I ask is that when I'm tent (or just sleeping on the ground) camping, I find it's much easier to have it be light for a while after we stop. So basically, the light is one constraint and how quickly we can get packed up and on the road is the other.

When the above factors aren't issues (in an RV or not camping on the driving part) we can drive 12 or so hours per day.

Have I got some stories for you. Our goal, when taking long trips which we do often is get there in the quickest amount of time. We always go to Colorado or Texas at least once a year. And since we have many children, and at times many young ones we get there quick. We leave at night. And we don't stop until we have arrived. Only stops for potty and eating. And sometimes not even that. All the kids that fit in pull ups wear them!! When our oldest got married a few years ago we had 11 children to get to Denver from Wisconsin. Ages were about, 22, 20, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7, 5,5,3, and a 1 year old. We flew with the wind through the night and up until about noon. Our motto when taking a road trip, "get her done"

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in May. We have 3-4 weeks for this trip, so we are taking it easy. We are planning on driving about 3-4 hours a day, stopping to camp and enjoy the area. We drive to Florida and 6-7 hours is about all we can handle, especially if we had to do it again the next day. The kids travel well, but I can't imagine being in a car for days at a time:)

We're planning on meeting up with my sister, who lives in CA, there the last week of May. They'll be driving to my folks in WI from there and we'll travel together.

Which rim will you be visiting? Are you camping?

Will you be camping each night of the driving part? Tent camping or an RV? The reason I ask is that when I'm tent (or just sleeping on the ground) camping, I find it's much easier to have it be light for a while after we stop. So basically, the light is one constraint and how quickly we can get packed up and on the road is the other.

When the above factors aren't issues (in an RV or not camping on the driving part) we can drive 12 or so hours per day.

We have a popup tent trailer so we do need some light to get it set up. But we have set it up after dark without too much trouble. The coleman lantern works well.

Have I got some stories for you. Our goal, when taking long trips which we do often is get there in the quickest amount of time. We always go to Colorado or Texas at least once a year. And since we have many children, and at times many young ones we get there quick. We leave at night. And we don't stop until we have arrived. Only stops for potty and eating. And sometimes not even that. All the kids that fit in pull ups wear them!! When our oldest got married a few years ago we had 11 children to get to Denver from Wisconsin. Ages were about, 22, 20, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7, 5,5,3, and a 1 year old. We flew with the wind through the night and up until about noon. Our motto when taking a road trip, "get her done"

WOW. That's really :auto:

I figure that I'm never going to get anywhere unless we travel for at least 8 hours. We went from Alberta to Utah 2 years ago when my girls were 4 and 6. We had books on tape and they played. Some of the driving is really boring and there's not much to see or do. Going through northern Montana is unremarkable. There is nothing to see and no reason to stop. I can say the same thing about Saskatchewan and eastern Alberta. More grass and cows and grass. Of course it's snow and cows at this time of year.;)

On our way back from Utah we drove for 24 hours straight. We thought that we could drive another 2 hours and find a place to stay when we stopped for supper in Butte. Apparently we were horribly wrong. There was no place to stay from there to Lethbridge. We arrived in Lethbridge at around 3 and we decided it wasn't worth paying $90 to stay for just a few hours so we kept going. I coffeed up at Ft. Macleod and kept driving. We got home at around 10:30. We put cereal on the table and told the kids to play quietly while we crashed.