Menu

I would love some book suggestions for my youngest. He reads at about a 5th grade+ level, loves science and -quote.gif boyish adventures. It doesn't need to be modern, although he loves Homer Price, Encyclopedia Brown, and Tin Tin. Maybe something like The Railway Children he really liked reading that one too. I would prefer it be light on magic and vampires (does Barnes and Noble really need a whole 10' x 4' section of these Harry Potter/Twilight wannabes - rhetorical), but I don't mind some (magic level of Tolkien, Lewis, MacDonald.)

After 2 other boys I should know these things, but I don't. He's my first voracious reader of fiction.

Karen

Let's see...My 5th grader's most recent favorites are the Grain Brain series by John Fitzgerald (he devoured the original and all the sequels!) He has also really liked Danny Champion of the World, by Roald Dahl.

Oh, and just in case you haven't seen it, there is a sequel to Homer Price entitled More Homer Price. My son enjoyed both of those.

I'll be following this thread eagerly! My son is finally expressing an interest in fiction after years of reading only non-fiction (mostly history). The possibilities are exciting!

Has he read the Percy Jackson books, Karen? There's magic -- the Greek gods are alive and well in the modern world -- but I think it would fall within the range that you allow (or at least be worth considering). Both of my kids have thoroughly enjoyed the series, ds especially.

Karen, Nate Wilson's 100 Cupboards and Dandelion Fire were very big read-aloud hits here. Dh enjoyed them as much as the kids. The third book is due out soon too. Redwall is my 8 year old's favorite fantasy world. He just loves those critters and their world. Ditto to Mysterious Benedict Society and sequels.

My son's loved Hachet by Gary Paulsen and it's sequels. It may be a bit intense for a 5th grader. My guys read it at 6th grade and up, if I remember correctly.

The Little Britches Series by Ralph Moody. Based on the author's growing up years. Very well done.

We second Redwall.

My guy loved/loves:

Hatchet

Snow Treasure

Ordinary Boy and sequels

Honus and Me (currrently listening to it on audio, and I'm enjoying it too)

Iron Thunder (and other Avi historical fiction books)

Einstein Anderson series

Love that Dog

Andrew Clements books (currently reading No Talking)

Artemis Fowl is very science-y. As is The Supernaturals by the same author. (Eoin Colfer) There is magic (fairies, leprechauns, trolls) in AF, but not in a HP vein.

http://www.eoincolfer.com/

He might also like The Mysterious Benedict Society. Interesting, pretty well-written, but *very* slow-moving; a bit of a slog at times, really. There are 3 big fat books in the series, so that's always good for kids who form bonds with characters. MBS is also very 'old-fashioned' in tone and youthfulness of the children, which is unusual. That makes it a bit special, I think.

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/features/mysteriousbenedictsociety/index.html

Series listed in no particular order:

Five Ancestors - historical fantasy, but no magic

Samurai Mysteries - historical mysteries

Alex Rider - action/adventure, in the teen section but clean

Mysterious Benedict Society - mystery

Great Brain - historical fiction

City of Ember - scifi

Lionboy - scifi

Rowan of Rin - fantasy, but magic is limited primarily to prophecies

The Shield, Sword, and Crown (Bell) - historical fantasy, action/adventure

anything by Andrew Clements - primarily school stories, very good

Warriors (Hunt) has a huge following among the girls in our hs group. I think that boys would love it too. It's about cats organized into warrior clans.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

No he hasn't read them. I'll look them over at B&N. Is there romance? I've seen the trailer for the movie and it looks like there's some teenage romance angst going on (not that a trailer for a movie always matches the book it's based on ;).) Does F. read them herself?

Looks good though.

Thanks.

Has he read the Percy Jackson books, Karen? There's magic -- the Greek gods are alive and well in the modern world -- but I think it would fall within the range that you allow (or at least be worth considering). Both of my kids have thoroughly enjoyed the series, ds especially.

It is fun to see all these good books in one thread. How old is your youngest? Just want to clarify that this is for a teenager that reads at a fifth plus grade level, not a young person. That makes a difference.

If this is for a teenager, I would enthusiastically second the Percy Jackson series (my son just read the newest one and LOVED it). Also the Artemis Fowl books. They are a bit rough in terms of moral issues. In the first book, he is a "criminal genius" (according to my son). By the last book, he sides with the good guys, but it seems that he chooses this course of action because of practical reasons rather than conscience. The last book has to do with different dimensions of the universe and how they interact, so for example Artemis Fowl encounters himself in the book because of time travel. This is all gleaned from my son, so take it with a grain of salt.

ETA: I see in another thread that you have a 7-year-old? Your "signature" just talks about 14, 16, and 17-year-olds. Percy Jackson series does have some romance in it, but not too gooshy until the end of the last book. Artemis Fowl would NOT be suitable for a 7-year-old. Sorry for the misunderstanding. He would like Mysterious Benedict Society, but it is difficult to comprehend so you might want to wait a few years. In other words, even if he is an outstanding reader, he might have trouble with The Mysterious Benedict Society. My son's exact words, "It would be difficult for even a prodigious seven-year-old." Hee.

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly

ETA: I see in another thread that you have a 7-year-old? Your "signature" just talks about 14, 16, and 17-year-olds.

No 17 year old, just 16, 14, & 7. This is for the 7 yo. We have the Mysterious Benedict Society, ds 14 read the first two a couple of years ago and I was going to wait a couple of years till ds7 read them.

These look great!

These might be too young for your son but my son had been devouring the Andrew Lost series. It's about a boy who invents things and then has adventures (shrinks down to microscopic size, goes under the sea, into outer space). There is a lot of science which my son loved and a significant gross/ick factor. But the gross factor is factual and with a science twist so I don't mind (they get shrunk down and are on a dog and have to battle an eyelash mite, they get swallowed by a whale and are pooped out with lots of whale intestine details). Sort of Magic School Bus but as chapter books and with more of a story. They might be too easy of a reading level though, my guy has been reading 1 or 2 in a day but it's gotten him thrilled about reading like nothing else. If you do try them, he should read them in order, each book leaves off with a bit of a cliffhanger and they build on each other.

Edited by Alice

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome is the first book in a wonderful historical adventure series written in the 1930s. The setting is the English Lake district. The kids in the book have many outdoor adventures while sailing, camping, etc. My son devoured these books last year and has since read them over again.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians if you don't mind mythology themed stuff. The Mysterious Benedict Society was very fun and appropriate. The 39 Clues books are currently a big hit in my home. The Thief Lord by Cornella Funke was a real favorite. Since he's only 7, maybe Farmer Boy - both my guys enjoyed it. Peter and the Starchatchers, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, Gooseberry Park, The Hoboken Chicken Emergency.

Has he read all the Naria books?

Isn't fun finding them the books that they grow to love?

No he hasn't read them. I'll look them over at B&N. Is there romance? I've seen the trailer for the movie and it looks like there's some teenage romance angst going on (not that a trailer for a movie always matches the book it's based on ;).) Does F. read them herself?

Looks good though.

Thanks.

The romance is pretty minimal. There's a friend-who-is-a-girl through most of the books, but nothing that concerned me at all. Tristan has read all of the books (the third and beyond just as they came out), and Franny has read, I think, three of them so far.

I do think The Mysterious Benedict Society might be another good choice for him.

Has he read Half Magic (Eager) and the others in that series? They're very Nesbit-like...

Tristan read and enjoyed the Shiloh books (a boy and his dog) when he was 7 or 8 and just loved them. There's some sadness and "hard truth" kind of stuff about human nature...

The Indian in the Cupboard books?

What about Detectives in Togas and the sequel?

(more... in absolutely no order...)

Ginger Pye, The Moffats, and others by Eleanor Estes

Shadrach and anything else by Meindert DeJong

Mr. Popper's Penguins, Atwater

Home Price, McCloskey (or was that on your original list?)

The Mad Scientists Club, Brinley

Henry Reed, Robertson

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be and Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat (Owls is the quicker read)

Rascal, by Sterling North

My Side of the Mountain (trilogy), Jean Craighead George

The Sign of the Beaver, Elizabeth George Spear

The Whipping Boy, Sid Fleischman

Poppy books by Avi

Roald Dahl? Fantastic Mr. Fox is one of my all-time favorites. :)

Sideways Stories from Wayside School

The Phantom Tollbooth

Mr. Revere and I / Ben and Me

A Cricket in Time's Square

Pippi Longstocking (yes, she's a girl, but the stories are very boy-friendly)

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain (an easy read, but if he hasn't read it before, it's worth it)

Anything by William Steig, especially The Real Thief -- though I prefer this one as a read-aloud. It's equally (if not far more) wonderful for adults...

I would love some book suggestions for my youngest. He reads at about a 5th grade+ level, loves science and -quote.gif boyish adventures. It doesn't need to be modern, although he loves Homer Price, Encyclopedia Brown, and Tin Tin....

After 2 other boys I should know these things, but I don't. He's my first voracious reader of fiction.

Karen

I loved Homer Price and Encyclopedia Brown when I was your son's age (so they can't be that modern :D).

There was a juvenile novel I read about this time, about a boy whose family would be losing their farm to a dam project, that was the first novel that really had a strong emotional impact on me. It touched me, and changed my future expectations about literature. It was called "Tornado Jones."

I've looked for this many times over the years (to no avail) but Amazon lists used copies.

It's not like Homer Price and Encyclopedia Brown, but (while I loved those) Tornado Jones moved me and I'll never forget having read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tornado-Jones-Trella-Lamson-Dick/dp/B0007HBXKW

Bill (book-lover)

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Swift-Airship-Victor-Appleton/dp/1406807257/ref=tmm_pap_title_0/184-9564504-7324704 Amazing series written at turn of century with tons of science and inventions. It reads like Jules Verne for young people . I think you would be particularly delighted with the grammar and syntax . My dd loved these and read them voraciously.

Oh wow, that is wierd. I read your signature a bunch of times, and always read it as 16- and 17-yo. We read what we expect to see, and I expected to see the younger age first. Thanks for pointing that out, because I couldn't imagine why you left out your 7-year-old!

Julie

No 17 year old, just 16, 14, & 7. This is for the 7 yo. We have the Mysterious Benedict Society, ds 14 read the first two a couple of years ago and I was going to wait a couple of years till ds7 read them.