Menu

Tell me why you love your library!

unfortunately, mine sucks.

it is one room in the city hall, and not a big room at that.

*I* have more books than our library does.

but i do my part to keep circulation numbers up, joined the board, and started a Friends group. oldest ds volunteers there weekly: he's the only regular volunteer.

we don't have a good county library system either.

I did LOVE our library system in Syracuse: I could request books online from anywhere in the county and they'd have them ready for me at the counter for pick up. Since we always did so much reading at home, we mostly used the library as a place to PLAY: computer games, kids play area, etc.

I do like that our own little library is really willing to work with homeschoolers: I'll be speaking w/ the librarian this week about establishing a homeschool class time [another library has done something similar.]

I LOVE my library!

I can reserve my books online with NO limits! Currently, I have over 150 books on my shelves, thanks to the library. The interlibrary loan delivers on Tuesday and Friday so we usually pick up our requests twice a week. It's such a blessing to be able to select my books in the peace of my midnight computer searches and pick them up without scouring the shelves while helping my dc pick their books.

My wonderful librarians always encourage us to take more books home with us at every visit. I always feel greedy taking more when I've already been given so much but the librarians are constantly finding things they think we'll enjoy. Last week, the librarian snuck my son the newest Nate the Great because they thought he'd like it and they were right. He loved it!

My library also has no fines and 30 day check outs for all books. My librarians even renew my books if they show up overdue in the system because they know I'll bring them back someday.

Best of all, my libararians are not ssssshhhhhhers. I would not be welcome in a ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhing library.

I love my library and my librarians.

I've paid my dues, literally, in other libraries and I am so thankful for the library I have now.

They can get anything. The branch may be small, but the ILL system is free and stellar. The librarians are also very helpful and kind.

Of course, while I rave, someone in my same town told me how lousy the same library is. lol. All I know is that they have gotten me everything I ever asked for, from very far away, and always have a smile and book suggestion for me or my kids.

They also have a large playroom filled with books, puzzles, toys, puppets etc.

Books. I just love being in a room surrounded by books.

The library is tiny, but I still love it. Inter-library loan is free, so I order tons (tons) of stuff online and they send it to my tiny library for me. I can order as many as I want. (The next county over only lets you reserve 2 books at a time! Can you believe it!? How horrible! I hate that county's library system.)

I love my library because it is really close: a 1or 2 minute drive or a 20 minute walk on a nice day. Also because it opens on Saturday mornings, so I can go there kid free occasionally. And being able to request books from all over the state online. (I can only have 15 books on hold at a time, but with 5 people in our family I can use everyone's cards and place up to 75 holds at a time.) Oh and also I just love the fact that it's something useful being done with government money. So often our rates and taxes go to fund things I don't agree with, it's lovely to have some of it going to a wonderful democratic service that can benefit everybody.

Ours is alright. Not great, but good. What I do love about it is having unlimited borrowing! My previous library had a limit of ten books at a time :thumbdown: That was fine when I was single and borrowing adult books, but for picture books? Who has time to go to the library every day?! I also love getting notifications by email before the books are due. You all might take such technological advancements for granted, but that was only instituted at our library this year. It's so much easier because my internal library book returning signal has never reset from a month down to the three week loan period we have here. We used to get a lot of fines...

Rosie

My branch is medium size, but I have free access to the entire county library system. I can place books on hold from home, and generally pick them up at my branch in 3-4 days.

I also love that there are NO LATE FEES! I can renew my books three times (total of 12 weeks) unless someone else puts a hold on them. After that, I have 50 days to return them before their replacement price is sent to a collection agency. I don't know what happens after that because I've never even been late.

I wish I could place books on hold from my own branch library, and just swoop in to pick everything up, but I have to pull my own if they're available at my branch. I also wish I could keep DVDs and video tapes longer than a week, but they're not renewable.

My library system is not the biggest in the world, but it works smoothly. There are several libraries around town, and I can put holds on books online, and they will generally be ready to pick up at my local branch by the next day, sometimes two. Collectively they have a pretty decent children's section. I can check out 50 books at a time for four weeks at a time, and am able to renew them twice (online) as long as no one else has a hold on the book. They also send me emails a few days before my books are due, or when my holds are ready to be picked up. The storytimes are engaging, and occasionally they have puppet shows or other programs for children.

VERY thankful for our library! ILL is free, we adore the librarian, and we can check out as MANY books as we want!!

Other perks: it is brand new with leather chairs sitting around fireplace, very clean and lots of room to spread out if we want to sit there for a couple hours.

First of all, there is a library! I lived for 5 years where there was no library, except for the school library, which was one of the reasons dd went to school.

The area we live in now has an online reservation system which operates through 5 or 6 linked libraries. I can link to the state library system through the local library's website, although I do have to fill in a piece of paper to actually get interlibrary loan books. The burden of it. ;-)

I can decide which of the libraries I will collect reserved books from, and I can return at any of the linked libraries. They e-mail me to collect reserved books, and they e-mail me when books are due to be returned. I can renew books online. Interlibrary loans have to be renewed by the branch, but they do that gracefully.

We don't get charged anything to join or use the library, although when we were first here, and were in temporary accomodation we had to pay a refundable deposit to get a temporary library card.

We can each take 12 items, and they don't limit different types (in the library system I grew up with we had different limits for magazine, audio and video loans).

My am so smitten with my library system that it is the primary factor guiding where we will buy a house. I will thoroughly investigate nearby library systems before we make a final decision, just in case there's something better out there! No need to look at the schools, of course.

Branch library in our neighborhood with a small cozy children's section and lovely lovely personable librarians who make an effort to get to know their patrons.

Drive-up book return slot at the main branch so I can return books without getting out of the car.

I don't know if there is a limit to the number of books we can have out because we've never hit it, even when we leave with arms full of books. (Our Japanese exchange student told us that at her city library she can only check out five books at a time. :eek: )

Huge selection.

Email reminders.

Online requesting with email reminder when the books are available.

They've re-instituted the 3-day grace period. If you turn in your books a day or two late you don't get fined. (Probably due to problems with getting things checked in on time, but handy when something comes up on library day.)

Recommendation brochures: Award winners or books about Knights and dragons, or holiday books, or great read-alouds.

Staff are very helpful and homeschool-friendly.

Free access to an online language learning program, for anyone with a library card.

My kids love the self-checkout. I miss chatting with the librarians about our selections, especially at the brach library. They often had recommendations.

It's beautiful. The children's courtyard is delightful, beautiful and clever and quirky.

Location: Across from the bus station and only a few blocks from where my oldest son's choir meets.

Oh my, can you tell I love my library?

Cat

Our capital city's library has won the "best library in the south east" many times and I pay a yearly fee just to have the honor of using their services (even though I only live 2 miles from them, I'm unlucky enough to be in a different county...)

Reasons I love them (and willingly pay $65 per year!)

~ 4 huge levels of books, books, books!

~ Massive children's section painted with huge, lifesize "Where the Wild Things Are" scenery, children's books galore, picnic tables and benches, huge real palmetto trees growing in there (the children's section is in the basement and the floor between the 1st floor entrance and back part of the basement is cut away allowing massive light as well as head room for the trees - which, incidentally look like they came strait out of Where the Wild Things Are), a craft section for "any time use", lifesize stuffed animals (all I've mentioned are in JUST the children's section)

~ Dozens of free group classes for children up through adults - story time, puppets, arts & crafts for children, themed game time for older kids, book clubs for adults. There's always something for everyone!

~ A wide range of free concerts and theater plays in their huge auditorium (saw Billy Jonas if any of you are familiar, as well as Pinocchio recently)

~ 3 week check out time and can renew 2 times (for a total of 9 weeks)

~ Massive music, DVD, audiobook, & software collection to check out (including almost ALL courses from The Teaching Company as well as many spanish & latin language courses!)....I'm talking rows upon rows upon rows (30+) in it's own glassed off section of the library, complete with comfy chairs everywhere and a special kids corner where something educational is always playing on the TV.

~ Dozens upon dozens of tables, lounge chairs, & "laptop" chairs (the ones with a built in swinging arm for the laptop to sit on) to relax in

~ Wifi for when you bring your laptop

~ Easy access elevators...or escalators (which my toddler LOVES)

~ Online access to my account for renewals, catalog searches, or hold requests

~ It's really beautiful to look at on the outside and all levels (well, except for ground basement level) have floor to ceiling windows, which makes it nice inside.

~ Easily accessible drive up book return

~ Email reminders for when books are due or when your hold has been put on shelf

~ Self-checkout counters

~ Holds are put on 2 main shelves right up front in the lobby - just walk up, grab the ones with your name on it and go to checkout!

~ No limits on how many books you can check out

~ Fines are capped at $6.00 per book

Um...that's about all I can think of for now although I'm sure theres more. :) I adore our library!

Edited by Coleroo

I love our library mainly because it saves me a LOT of money. Even though it's a small to medium sized library (pending which one I go to - we use two) I can request books from all over the state of PA and have them delivered to my local library. When in a hurry I can pick a book up at a nearby library and return it to my local one (no charge). They have computers where my boys can go online for as long as they want when they are researching projects, etc. They send e-mail reminders about due dates - and you can renew online. The people are all very friendly.

The only fees are for videos - and we seldom use those.

We can have books put on hold and trasferred to any branch we choose. We can also return any and all books and videos to any branch we choose regardless where you checked them out at. Every December you can pay book fines in canned goods that are donated to the local food bank. I don't have any fines to pay but I thought this was a great idea.

My library stinks on ice. There is a library about 30 minutes away that I could pay $40 a year to use, but I just haven't broken down and joined yet. That library is awesome. Our library doesn't have real librarians, it is small, has cruddy books and never has what I am looking for. The last thing I went to look there for was a King Arthur book and they had NOTHING King Arthur related. Nothing is ever where it is supposed to be and they frequently miss books when checking them in and send letters requesting the books be returned. More than once I have gone there, found my returned book on the shelf and brought it to the desk so they could check it in! It's really annoying. I know this was supposed to be reasons why we love our library, but I don't love my library. :thumbdown:

This sounds like heaven to me!!!:drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5:

Our capital city's library has won the "best library in the south east" many times and I pay a yearly fee just to have the honor of using their services (even though I only live 2 miles from them, I'm unlucky enough to be in a different county...)

Reasons I love them (and willingly pay $65 per year!)

~ 4 huge levels of books, books, books!

~ Massive children's section painted with huge, lifesize "Where the Wild Things Are" scenery, children's books galore, picnic tables and benches, huge real palmetto trees growing in there (the children's section is in the basement and the floor between the 1st floor entrance and back part of the basement is cut away allowing massive light as well as head room for the trees - which, incidentally look like they came strait out of Where the Wild Things Are), a craft section for "any time use", lifesize stuffed animals (all I've mentioned are in JUST the children's section)

~ Dozens of free group classes for children up through adults - story time, puppets, arts & crafts for children, themed game time for older kids, book clubs for adults. There's always something for everyone!

~ A wide range of free concerts and theater plays in their huge auditorium (saw Billy Jonas if any of you are familiar, as well as Pinocchio recently)

~ 3 week check out time and can renew 2 times (for a total of 9 weeks)

~ Massive music, DVD, audiobook, & software collection to check out (including almost ALL courses from The Teaching Company as well as many spanish & latin language courses!)....I'm talking rows upon rows upon rows (30+) in it's own glassed off section of the library, complete with comfy chairs everywhere and a special kids corner where something educational is always playing on the TV.

~ Dozens upon dozens of tables, lounge chairs, & "laptop" chairs (the ones with a built in swinging arm for the laptop to sit on) to relax in

~ Wifi for when you bring your laptop

~ Easy access elevators...or escalators (which my toddler LOVES)

~ Online access to my account for renewals, catalog searches, or hold requests

~ It's really beautiful to look at on the outside and all levels (well, except for ground basement level) have floor to ceiling windows, which makes it nice inside.

~ Easily accessible drive up book return

~ Email reminders for when books are due or when your hold has been put on shelf

~ Self-checkout counters

~ Holds are put on 2 main shelves right up front in the lobby - just walk up, grab the ones with your name on it and go to checkout!

~ No limits on how many books you can check out

~ Fines are capped at $6.00 per book

Um...that's about all I can think of for now although I'm sure theres more. :) I adore our library!

Just a few things (though this is technically not my library - I am in a diff. county but I use my mom's card and stock up when we go visit every 2 weeks):

Can put books on hold (up to 30) from any library in the county (no looking hard-to-find books up)

Unlimited # of books to check out (hometown library - only 14)

Unlimited # of renews (as far as I can tell)

They call you when your books are ready to be picked up and then you just go find your name and check them out!

It's not huge but b/c you can get books from any of the 10+ libraries in the county, I have never had a problem finding plenty of books.

Oh, and they have a section of board books, a section of I can read books and a section of "regular" children books - so I can grab 10 board books for my 2yo and 20 Icr books for my 3.5 yo REALLY QUICKLY without having to look up specific authors :)

ILL and friendly people are why I love my library. It's small, but they always renew the annual membership to the regional ILL program which saves me from having to drive in to a big library weekly. I like the big libary because it has a lot of browsing and the traditional tables, chairs, magazines, newspapers, and private study rooms that can be reserved. I volunteer at the local library and am always amazed at the resources the regional library organization has to offer. The newest thing here is a family pass to area musuems and so forth that can be checked out by card holders.

I don't like my library in terms of the way they let people use the children's room for their private tutoring businesses. There are no private spaces, so all afterschool browsing is done to the tune of a tutor instructing her charges at the only table. It is a good experience for my children to hear though...so maybe I do like that practice.

Edited by lgm

I love it because it exists...

Honestly, a public lending library is like running water to me. It is just so wonderful (wondrous? I don't know which word is better) that I can go in there and get things to read!

I don't think I ever lost that childhood thrill of walking into a library and feeling as if I was oh-so-lucky to be there.

I'm a dork.

Oh, my. I've *never* heard of a library charging money for ILL. wow.

I'm the OP. My library charges fees (50 cents) for every item I reserve, whether it's from my home library or an ILL!

I love reading about all of your fabulous libraries. I will say that all of the librarians and volunteers are wonderfully kind and helpful at our library. Unfortunately, their funding was decreased by 30% the year.

Our local doesn' t have a lot of funding either. A few moms became involved and started a Friends group and did some low cost high cheer items via grants from one of the state legislatures and some local businesses, which then drew the interest of more influential people. Now the patron donations are up to a level that the library can sustain buying a reasonable number of new books and craft supplies for programs, and the ILL makes the circulation increase so people are happy.

Because my librarians are incredibly kind and caring people!

One time, our car broke down about 20 miles from home. The librarian who lived near there drove us home in her car and wouldn't take any payment.

Dh once forgot his beloved bookmark in a book that was returned. Our librarians searched high and low until they found it and saved it for us to pick up the next day.

If there is an interesting event coming up in our area and I haven't been to the library in a while, one of the librarians will call me and read me the flyer over the phone in case I am interested.

They actively work to help parents who mention interest in homeschooling to connect with those of us who are doing it. They work hard to locate the books we need. They do not shame me when my book list receipt is as long as my leg (which it is on occasion). They are patient and helpful when my dd wants to ask them her questions in person instead of through me.

We live in a rural area and our branch library is a wonderful resource. I could never afford to purchase all the books and video/DVD's we use if it were not for them. They have high speed internet available in a community where most people are stuck with dial-up. They are just terrific.

Therefore, our homeschool 4-H club celebrates Librarian Appreciation Day at our February meeting in keeping with the Valentine's Day spirit instead of focusing on romantic love. We bake zillions of cookies and take giant boxes of them to all the librarians in our community that help us during the year.

Edited by hillfarm