Menu

Staying warm?

I am dreading this winter. Each winter I freeze for months and I'm looking for ways to stay warm. Let me start by saying that I always seem to be cold. Our home is a fairly new home and we cover our windows to help reduce any draft. We have hardwood floors that just seem to make our house cold. I normally wear wool socks and indoor shoes. We painted our living room walls a golden yellow to make it seem brighter and warmer, but so far it's not helping. I'm still so cold. Any advice for a very cold mom?

I am dreading this winter. Each winter I freeze for months and I'm looking for ways to stay warm. Let me start by saying that I always seem to be cold. Our home is a fairly new home and we cover our windows to help reduce any draft. We have hardwood floors that just seem to make our house cold. I normally wear wool socks and indoor shoes. We painted our living room walls a golden yellow to make it seem brighter and warmer, but so far it's not helping. I'm still so cold. Any advice for a very cold mom?

Nothing beats a good woodstove. We open windows when our Yotul is in full action - don't know if this is an option for you. A fireplace insert can do the same.

I made myself a bright, cheerful lap quilt. Not only do I get cold, I wilt on gray winter days. My quilt is done in deep purples and sunflower yellows with a hand ful of summer green thrown in. It refreshes me just to look at it...not to mention how cozy it is to drape over my legs when I sit down.

The main thing I do is wear a tank top under my shirt every day. I tuck in the tank, and it keeps the drafts from going up my back. This is a huge help.

Also, moving seems to help. If I bundle up on the couch with a blanket, I stay cold. But, if I get up and start tidying up, or start creating, or cooking, or washing something, I warm up.

Also, it is my understanding that we (humans) lose a tremendous amount of heat through our head. Maybe you could invest in a couple hats that you wouldn't mind wearing indoors.

I agree with layers. Throughout our cold winters I typically wear tights, long jons, a thin pair of athletic pants, then fleece pants. For the tops I wear: tank, long jons, a long sleeved tee shirt then a thick sweater. Ditto on the layering the socks too. Personally, I vote for slippers instead of shoes. Warm, cozy slippers!

It doesn't get too cold here, but we have kept our heat up in the past. This year we are turning it way down.

So, I spent a little extra on wool slippers and sweat pants for each of us this year. We wear T-shirts and zip up hoodies for over them if we get cold.

Dawn

The woodstove idea is a wonderful one. We've heated with wood for years and we love it. But, we do get a few cold moments. So much so that sometimes our bathroom pipes freeze up. We've learned and now we keep a space heater in there. But some of the bedrooms you can see your breath on those really cold days. Oh well, we get used to it.

Unpaid commercial here:

I just splurged and bought myself a pair of Under Armour Frosty tights and the mock top. Wow!!! I tend to get cold easily and they are keeping me toasty warm! I got them at a Black Friday sale, so saved about $30, but they still were pricey. However, it seems that they will be worth it.

I also like that with the tights being a nice black, I can wear them under my church dresses or skirts and not look like I am wearing long undies to church.;)

or silk backpacking longjohns.... they're light, comfie and reallllllly warm. :001_smile:

great question!

in spain, they have coffee tables with a heated fire underneath and a large insulated table cloth that you put up on your lap, so half of you is toasty warm..... its delightful. i've never seen anything like it on this side of the ocean though :confused:

ann

Thanks for all the great ideas! I usually do wear layers but I never thought to add a tank to keep my core warm. Guess I'll be looking for some tanks to wear.

And while I'd love to do a wood stove, my DH has such terrible allergies that it's not an option. We do have a gas fireplace to heat our basement playroom (which at the moment isn't working) and that does seem to take the chill off both the basement and first floor.

The warm water to drink sounds like a great plan!

or silk backpacking longjohns.... they're light, comfie and reallllllly warm. :001_smile:

great question!

in spain, they have coffee tables with a heated fire underneath and a large insulated table cloth that you put up on your lap, so half of you is toasty warm..... its delightful. i've never seen anything like it on this side of the ocean though :confused:

ann

All my neighbours do this here (Tajikistan) and it's very cosy. When there is electricity (sadly only a few hours a day :glare:) they just stick a light bulb underneith the table, that way they avoid the coal or wood smoke.

To be honest though, it's not the most practical thing (for beginners you'd have to dig a hole underneith a low table and then you'd need some sort of mat to sit on,...)so I do pretty much all of the above mentioned instead, layers, hot drinks, warm slippers,....

Long johns (or something equivalent) under your pants.

As many layers on top as you can stand.

This is the most important: Wear a hat or hood. You can wear a nice jaunty hat (not an outdoor wool one) if you want to look nice while you're warm.

I wear a wooly hat to bed (just like, "...and I in my kerchief and ma in her cap had just settled down for a long winter's nap..."). It really works. Sometimes, I'm too cold to sleep until I put on my hat. It takes about 10 minutes, but you'll be noticeably warmer and able to sleep.

We gave up, I hate the cold, and moved south. :glare: It got cold here last night (44) and I'm already dreading the trip north we have to make.

Here are some things we used to do:

Warm showers

Hot chocolate

get a lap cat

fleece blankets

snuggle

layer

cover all possible skin with clothing until you see the first robin in the spring

watch movies in exotic warm island locations

do not watch Jim Cantore forecasting while standing in another blizzard

invite friends to your house so you don't have to leave

some nice Caribbean CDs to drown out the whistling wind

Oh I saw the greatest slippers at the mall! They were similar to bootie style dearfoam slippers, but they had a space sewn into them where you slipped a pouch of sented warm rice or something (you pop it in the microwave for a few minutes first) into the bottom of the slipper. The space is inbetween the part your foot touches and the part that would touch the ground. The girl said you weren't supposed to walk around on the rice, that it was for going to bed or when sitting around.

It seemed like such a great idea to keep your feet warm! They came in a bunch of different colors/prints and they were only $65 I think! Maybe they were only $55! I don't remember. But it was one of those kiosk at the mall.

What has worked here:

tea and soup

A hot shower

a wool hat

wool socks with hard soled slippers or shoes

a turtle neck with a wool sweater

leggings with fleece jeans(llbean or woolrich has them for women)

We supplement the regular heat in the bathroom with the overhead heater and a space heater.

We occasionally take a week off in the winter to a warm destination.

I agree with the layers top to bottom. My favorites are pointelle silk long johns (I do the tank on top and love it.)

Heated rice bags are great for a super infusion of heat. They are very easy to make and zap in your microwave anytime you need a little-toasty-comfort.

Increasing the humidity indoors also helps it feel warmer. Simply boil water if you don't have a humidifier already.

Cuddl-Duds long underwear. I love them.

I like rice packs too. The rice pack booties are nice, but I got them at a deep discount place for 5 bucks, and probably could have made them with a normal but extra large pair of slippers from Walmart and two socks to put the rice in.

I bought a couple of heating pads and strategically located them to be near me throughout the day. One at my desk, one by the sofa, one by the bed. Turn it on before you go to bed so the bed is warmed up. Put it on your lap or your feet and it really helps all over without adding too much to the electric bill.

Since morning is when the cold bothers me the most, I bought a small coffee pot with a timer. I use it to steep my tea rather than making coffee (okay, coffee occationally, too). Just put the tea bag in the pot and when it runs the tea steeps and is ready for me first thing. My dh sometimes brings it to me while I am still in bed. That is about heaven to me! Warm yourself up with the tea and the heating pad until you feel you can face the day! I usually check my email on my laptop then, too. Somehow this slower start to the morning has made me a little less phobic of mornings! :tongue_smilie:

I am going to use the coffee pot to make hot water throughout the day now that I have heard that idea! I have noticed I am drinking less water in the cold weather, so this might help with that. Good ideas, ladies!

As I was cleaning up the house a few weeks back, I picked up my little son's scarf and put it around my neck. I was so surprised how warm it kept me, that I've been going back to it every time I'm cold! I'm *so* not a hat person, and I stubbornly (pridefully?) refuse to wear one around the house, but the scarf I like, and I can whip it off at a moments notice w/o looking all messed up afterwards.