Menu

Please, will you answer this question about sunscreen??

I wear sunscreen on my own face every day, year round, because I get tons of blotchy spots if I don't. I don't put sunscreen on our children unless I feel there is a risk of sunburn. Even in the summer, I don't put it on them if we are in partial shade or won't be out more than 30 minutes. Otherwise I do put it on, because one child is extremely fair skinned and burns. We never seem to get sunny days here when there is snow on the ground, but I would put it on for snow play on a sunny winter day if it happened. I personally got some really bad sunburns from sunlight reflected from snow as a child.

No, my kids never wear sunscreen unless we're going to be on the beach or lake for an extended period of time. And even then, I only put a small amount on their face (they wear those sun protective rash guards with some "boy" shorts). And we live here in FL where it is sunny year around LOL. We just got back from 10 days at Disney World where we never wore sunscreen either. My girls have never had a sunburn.

We only use sunscreen when absolutely necessary to avoid burns. We are in the PNW so that factors into our decision. With so many trees here, there is a lot of shade most places we go, so even if we are out all day, we aren't in the direct sun.

I am aware of the increase cancer risk from sun exposure, but I don't agree with all the chemicals either so we take the more natural route and look for shade instead of sunscreen.

We use it less than 5-10 times per year. It is used on the first very hot days of summer here, when the kids are outside all day, soaking in the sun, just until they get a little color and then I don't use it again except for certain circumstances.

We will use it if we are going to be on/around/in water all day like a water park, rafting, boating out in the open without a canopy.

I am stricter about it in the warm weather as we are very fair and burn easily. In the cooler months we are not outside for hours on end so I want to make sure they get their vitamin d exposure.

However, my children feel very persecuted by the sunblock experience.

I don't use sunscreen daily any time of year. We live in a high desert. During the warm months I'll dig it out more frequently, but only for outdoor activities when they'll be in full sun for the majority of it. Activities like camping, hiking, trips to the lake, and so on.

This time of year? Maybe my oldest, a very fair-skinned blondie, if he were out hiking and rock climbing with the Boy Scouts throughout the afternoon. I can't think of another reason.

We use sunscreen only when we are going to be in full sun for more than 30 minutes between the hours of 11am and 4pm. This is pretty rare. We end up using sunscreen at the beach, at theme parks, at water parks, and at the lake. Those are the only times we're out during those times in the full sun. Overall, we end up applying sunscreen less than 10 days/year. We try to time things so that we don't need sunscreen, so we only wear it when not wearing it would mean sunburn.

No. We use a mineral sunscreen (California Baby) and only on their cheeks and shoulders when we're going to be out in strong sun (or long enough for burning to be an issue). If they're not at the pool, I'd favor hats over sunscreen for their faces.

I'm more worried about vitamin D deficiency and chemicals from traditional sunscreens than I am about sun exposure.

No, my kids never wear sunscreen unless we're going to be on the beach or lake for an extended period of time. And even then, I only put a small amount on their face (they wear those sun protective rash guards with some "boy" shorts). And we live here in FL where it is sunny year around LOL. We just got back from 10 days at Disney World where we never wore sunscreen either. My girls have never had a sunburn.

This is us too. In fact I never put it on my kids even though we do have a pool and will only use it at the beach if we are going to be there allllll day. Usually we go to the beach later in the day (3ish) and stay to watch the sun set, I don't use sunscreen for that. Also, we spent Wed at bush gardens and didn't even think about it. I believe those at high risk for skin cancer are those that lay out in the sun A LOT. My kids aren't tanning, they are playing and don't burn.

Melissa

No, we don't use it daily at any time of the year. My oldest is quite fair, so we have to be diligent when going out to the zoo or such for the afternoon, and of course always for swimming and such.

I have no ideal what non-chemical sunscreen is; it's hard to imagine that it feels even grosser than the regular sort, but I suppose anything's possible! Putting aside the chemical concerns, I just think it makes sense that people should be able to survive on their native planet without daily intervention ;).

No. The chemicals in sunscreen have been shown to cause cancer. Since wearing sunscreen has become common practice, huge numbers of people have Vit D deficiencies. There is a developing body of evidence that low Vit D contributes to osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, and a broad range of other illnesses.

My kids wear sunscreen if they will be outside for longer than an hour or so if it's a very sunny day, and at the beach. They do not burn easily. If they did, I'd consider having them wear it more often.

I put it on my kids if we are out for more than half an hour between 10 and 2 in the summer. This actually doesn't happen much -- we only end up using a few ounces each year. My grandfather died of melanoma, so I am careful to carry it in case they are at risk for getting a burn, but I mostly manage that by limiting exposure time. This time of year they play outside without it for 2 - 3 hours a day.

... I believe those at high risk for skin cancer are those that lay out in the sun A LOT. ...

Melissa

Nope, there is a strong hereditary factor for melanoma. My mother had it and so did I, and we both have the nasty scars to prove it. Neither of us were sun-worshipers, although neither of us were too careful in our youth about staying out of the sun. Both my kids have had moles removed; one of them had an "a-typical" (read: pre-cancer) result.

We live in Southern California which my dermatologist calls the skin cancer capital of the world. My kids and I avoid the sun when possible, but also wear sunscreen on any exposed part of our bodies when we will be outside for any length of time. I *KNOW* my kids are at risk for melanoma and it could kill them in their 30s (when my mom and I both got ours). I don't *know* that there is any risk to chemical sunscreens, and believe the risk of melanoma is much higher than the risk of death by sunscreen.

Edited to emphasize that we use physical sun blocking when possible - both my kids wear rash-guards in the pool or at the beach. We wear caps at Disneyland. We find shade wherever possible. But, still...we apply sunscreen to the leftover areas.

Edited by OC Mom

My kids burn instantly if they go outside in the summer sun w/o sunscreen. (Puff-they're little charred children!)

But in the winter, or in the late evenings in the summer, then we don't worry about it. We let them get their Vit D.

I have lots of friends who don't have their kids wear sunscreen all summer long, but they also have much darker complexions and they've never burned. Mine do burn.

My kids burn instantly if they go outside in the summer sun w/o sunscreen.

I've got three who turn a dark golden brown like their father and one who is even paler then me. She burns immediately and I've had to keep her covered with sunscreen since infancy. The times we have forgotten, even for a short time in the sun, we have lived to regret. Some of my most horrible memories as a mother are of nursing my poor girl's sunburn. Maybe it's the lesser of two evils. You can't just stay inside all the time. Trust me, we are two people who hunt out shade when ever possible. But sometimes, you are in the sun and there's nothing you can do about it.

We try to avoid it as much as possible. In Summer I ask them to wear hats and long sleeves if going outside any time between 9am and 5pm (although I keep them inside when practical if the bureau has predicted extreme UV levels), in Spring and Fall it's the same except between 10 and 4, and in Winter sun protection is optional, as I think they need the vit D. The sunscreen goes on their faces if we're going to be out all day, and on their bodies if they are swimming or otherwise not wearing much.

My kids are the opposite to your daughter, they LOVE to rub stuff on themselves and would use half a bottle of sunscreen every day if I didn't hide it away.

How does a sun screen not have chemicals? Even a "natural" one has chemicals.

The OP means that she uses physical sunscreen, rather than chemical sunscreen. Of course both have chemicals in them. The term chemical sunscreen refers to the mechanism of protection. The active ingredients in purely chemical sunscreens use a chemical reaction to render UV rays harmless. The active ingredients in physical sunscreens (zinc, titanium) physically block UV light.

Remember the kind of sunscreen lifeguards used to wear on their noses? That thick white paste? That was physical sunscreen. Thankfully there are now effective physical sunscreens that are more transparent. Brands include Badger and California Baby. However, in general they're thicker and difficult to rub in.

Some sunscreens combine physical and chemical active ingredients. When I just need to spot-cover, I use physical sunscreen and hats. When we go to the beach, we do use rash guards, but my kids still complain about getting sunscreened (and they complain about wearing hats). So on those days, and on other days when we'll be in the sun all day, I switch to a combination physical/chemical sunscreen that isn't too far up the hazard scale on Skin Deep. I still try to keep the hats on though. :)

:iagree:

We live in Southern California which my dermatologist calls the skin cancer capital of the world. My kids and I avoid the sun when possible, but also wear sunscreen on any exposed part of our bodies when we will be outside. I...believe the risk of melanoma is much higher than the risk of death by sunscreen.

Edited to emphasize that we use physical sun blocking when possible - both my kids wear rash-guards in the pool or at the beach. We wear caps at Disneyland. We find shade wherever possible. But, still...we apply sunscreen to the leftover areas.

i'm wondering if part of it depends on how many folks we know who have had melanoma? here, there are a LOT of people. i'm waiting for some aussies to chime in, too.

we too are in SoCal, and the hats are by the front door because we wear them all the time when we are out. they have a choice of hats with neckdrapes or 4" brims. we also sunscreen faces and exposed bits anytime we'll be outside for more than walking to and from a car. the kids and adults all wear rashguards, and we have matching hats.

we are outside a lot, and that makes a difference, too. none of us is vitamin D deficient....

fwiw,

ann

i'm wondering if part of it depends on how many folks we know who have had melanoma? here, there are a LOT of people. i'm waiting for some aussies to chime in, too.

we too are in SoCal, and the hats are by the front door because we wear them all the time when we are out. they have a choice of hats with neckdrapes or 4" brims. we also sunscreen faces and exposed bits anytime we'll be outside for more than walking to and from a car. the kids and adults all wear rashguards, and we have matching hats.

we are outside a lot, and that makes a difference, too. none of us is vitamin D deficient....

fwiw,

ann

Well, no. Not for me. We no longer live in SoCal, but my children were both born there and spent their preschool years there... We've live in GA since then, with relatives in NM and AZ among other places. Yes, we use hats and work to prevent *burns* (using hats and mineral sun screens as necessary), but regular, moderate sun exposure may actually help prevent melanoma (as opposed to occasional extreme sun exposure that leads to burns).

And many people living in places with high sun exposure are still vitamin D deficient. Even to an extreme. The old conventional wisdom that 15 minutes a day of sun exposure on the arms turns out simply not to be true. Possibly enough to prevent rickets (though not always even that, for populations with darker skin or at latitudes further from the equator), but not nearly enough to prevent other complications associated with low D levels. In fact, some evidence suggests that low D levels are associated with bone and other cancers that are far more difficult to treat than melanoma.

i'm wondering if part of it depends on how many folks we know who have had melanoma?

My grandfather, mother, and father all had skin cancer. I've had pre-cancer stuff removed from my face twice, and my oldest sister had a cancerous growth removed from her face. I still limit my kids' sunscreen use, but I will have them use it when I think they will be out long enough to risk getting sunburned. Luckily, they are like their dad rather than me, and they don't burn quickly.